• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rewatched Batman v Superman Extended Edition; this version of the movie's pretty good

Anth0ny

It was better than the theatrical version but it's not like it took it from a bad film to a great film.

To me, theatrical is a 6/10, extended is a 6.5/10. I like both.

Shoeless

I just hope they use Boom Tubes that make the classic boom.

Imagine if the plot of the first Justice League was that Darkseid was trapped in the Source Wall and there is something on Earth that Steppenwolf needs to free him.

That can mean only ONE thing, if they take it that far:

1610037-black_racer_06.jpg

MrBadger

The last thing Batman v Superman honestly needed was an extended cut. It honestly needed the complete opposite and needed a reduced cut.

-- Cut the Justice League teases
-- Cut the nightmares
-- Cut Luthor
-- Cut Doomsday
-- Cut Wonder Woman

The JL and nightmare sequences were honestly unnecessary to the plot. Doomsday is a stupid video game final boss stapled on to the end of the movie. Wonder Woman is the best part of the movie, but she's simultaneously the most unnecessary part of the movie because she only ties into the Justice League and Doomsday crap. Make the movie purely about Superman and Batman having a major idealistic clash regarding crime fighting and end the movie with them resolving their differences and realizing their two sides of the same coin. You don't even need the Lex Luthor pulling strings in the background shit either, the movie did a fine job of establishing how Batman and Superman clash.

I strongly agree with the Lex Luthor stuff. It seems rare for two heroes to clash out of ideals alone. There always has to be some dastardly moustache twirling villain misleading and manipulating them into fighting, and it's annoying. What makes a clash of heroes interesting is the moral grey area they're fighting over, and putting in a villain ruins that.

tkscz

giphy.gif

Batman fighting all those soldiers in the desert area in that dream sequence or whatteverthefuck had choreography so bad it makes the Nolan Batman films look like The Raid.

What about the warehouse fight? I thought it was damned awesome.

I enjoyed the movie but I've always believed it was too bloated.

Lois should've remained a supporting character and that the movie should focus on her and Superman/Clark's relationship (if he turned evil for her death, I want to see them being closer). All the investigating of Luthor should've been done by Diana who Luthor had something on.

Call the movie Trinity. You can still have Batman and Superman fight due to their difference in crime fighting, but you can have WW break up their fight and bring them together, show that Luthor was behind it all. That way you don't have to make a silly reason for why they stopped fighting and suddenly get along.

The conflict between Batman/Superman made sense by itself, keep it focused on them running into each other and the other having discontentment over how they fought crime. Have Luthor causing the criminal activities in specific ways so the two would keep meeting up and building discontentment for one another until it builds into a fight between the two.

No Doomsday or
Death of Superman.
If you're going to reverse a decision in the next movie, no point in doing it now. Also Doomsday could've been saved until the first JL movie and not immediately jump to Darkseid.

Luthor himself should've been the main antagonist if he was pulling the strings the entire time. Give him his suit, have him use the kryptonite he found. Have him pull the strings, but not magically know who Superman/Batman are. Like I said before, he could've easily been causing crime waves that would cause Batman and Superman to meet up.

Remove the dream sequence and JL references. We know their coming, no need to keep showing us. And honestly the dream adds nothing to the movie.

If you're going to have the Frank Miller suit in the movie, have it be used like the Frank Miller suit. It made him stronger, that would've made the fight so much more interesting. Hell, even stop at the point where the fight stopped in DKR, where Batman basically says he just wanted to show Superman he could take him down if he needs to.

cr0w

Old Member
I can agree with this. And I still don't want it. I don't mind an alternate take on a character, most of the Jokers over the years have been great (I haven't seen Suicide Squad). However, this version of Luthor doesn't work for me.

That's fine but he still doesn't look or sound the part, IMO.

No I get it, totally. I was hoping for more of a Rosenbaum-style Luthor but I guess I was more relieved that we didn't get another real estate scheme. I vastly prefer a cold, calculating Luthor but we've seen a hell of a lot of that type of villain in comic movies so far. Iron Man 1 & 3 and Ant-Man in particular already did the Luthor archetype pretty well, it's old hat.

Vice

It's an interesting movie with a good cast. the performances were good and it looked great. With that said, the pacing was terrible, the script was weak, and the editing was trash in both versions.

It feels like a movie more concerned with putting in Easter eggs, hooks for the next movie and having awesome action than telling an interesting or even serviceable story. A downer superhero movie is fine, (look at Logan or the Nolan Trilogy) but the stories in BvS weren't told well.

edit: The stronger first half in the extended cut makes the second half even worse compared to the theatrical cut. Spending time fleshing the story out and still coming to the same rushed conclusions is, to me, worse.

I saw the extended cut for the first time this weekend. The additions in terms of explaining certain scenes and added story arcs really help to alleviate the "why are these people doing these things" feeling of the theatrical cut. Lex actually comes off as having a plan with his further explained setups, versus just kind of doing stuff because. The movie still asks interesting questions, but it got tossed aside cause of a greater threat. The "resolution" feels like a bad high school essay where you kind of get what they're getting at with MARTHA!! but it takes way too many jumps to get to that conclusion, especially for such a long movie.

deadman69

i wonder if they're gunna remember that Luthor knows pretty much everyone's secret identities in Justice League or that it will just be swept under the carpet.

Ashhong

I can agree with this. And I still don't want it. I don't mind an alternate take on a character, most of the Jokers over the years have been great (I haven't seen Suicide Squad). However, this version of Luthor doesn't work for me.

That's fine but he still doesn't look or sound the part, IMO.

I think he was close to it towards the end with the shaved head and deeper/more aggressive voice. With the right acting changes he can be a pretty good lex IMO. He's not going to be huge like the DCAU Lex, but neither was Smallville Lex and that version was great, imo

Shoeless

The Knightmare adds a ton to the movie.

For DC comic fans yeah. But if that's not you--which was my wife--then it gets irritating when the person beside you is losing their mind and shouting "OH MAN! PARADEMON?!? I THINK THAT WAS A PARADEMON!" and "AAAAH! OMEGA SYMBOL! DARKSEEEEEEEID!"

Throw in the stuff with Steppenwolf and Motherboxes and you have a happy DC fan and a confused everyone else.

cr0w

Old Member
For DC comic fans yeah. But if that's not you--which was my wife--then it gets irritating when the person beside you is losing their mind and shouting "OH MAN! PARADEMON?!? I THINK THAT WAS A PARADEMON!" and "AAAAH! OMEGA SYMBOL! DARKSEEEEEEEID!"

Throw in the stuff with Steppenwolf and Motherboxes and you have a happy DC fan and a confused everyone else.

My friend and I were basically jumping out of our chairs at all that while 95% of the rest of the theater were just confused. It was hilarious to me.

Shoeless

My friend and I were basically jumping out of our chairs at all that while 95% of the rest of the theater were just confused. It was hilarious to me.

Yeah. I did love the nods the BvS made for the longtime DC fans. I was almost howling with laughter at that "blink and you miss it" moment with Batman in his pose from the Dark Knight cover with the lightning bolt. One thing Snyder did do was seed a lot of intimate DC Universe references for the fans, and I did appreciate that.

It's just sad that the story itself turned out a bit too uneven for my taste, but I can't fault either the art direction, the action, or the fanservice. That stuff was all great. When Batman took out those guys in the warehouse, I straight up believed Snyder had been playing a ton of Batman Arkham games and thought "Y'know what, we can do this for real."

cr0w

Old Member
Yeah. I did love the nods the BvS made for the longtime DC fans. I was almost howling with laughter at that "blink and you miss it" moment with Batman in his pose from the Dark Knight cover with the lightning bolt. One thing Snyder did do was seed a lot of intimate DC Universe references for the fans, and I did appreciate that.

It's just sad that the story itself turned out a bit too uneven for my taste, but I can't fault either the art direction, the action, or the fanservice. That stuff was all great. When Batman took out those guys in the warehouse, I straight up believed Snyder had been playing a ton of Batman Arkham games and thought "Y'know what, we can do this for real."

They actually had reference material from the Arkham games and Rocksteady while they were constructing that scene, including the tech he used.

vio

100% agree with OP. About Doomsday, i think everyone would have been ok with the design if he got more spikes after each time he got hit.

PowderedToast

clark: "all this time i've been living my life the way my father saw it. righting wrongs for a ghost, thinking I'm here to do good...superman was never real. it was just the dream of a farmer from kansas."

lois: "that farmer's dream is all some people have. it's all that gives them hope. *touches S* - this means something."

clark: "it did on my world. my world doesn't exist anymore."

d397ca90-e212-0132-464e-0ebc4eccb42f.gif

Dominator

I really loved the Theatrical Edition, and the Ultimate Edition just enhanced what was already an incredible film for me. In my top 5 superhero movies, and its number 2 right behind Logan.

cr0w

Old Member
I really loved the Theatrical Edition, and the Ultimate Edition just enhanced what was already an incredible film for me. In my top 5 superhero movies, and its number 2 right behind Logan.

It competes with Unbreakable for the top slot, for me.

I guess you could say I really like a certain tone in my superhero films.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
The only good thing of the EC was seeing Supes acting more like Clark Kent, doing journalist work. The bad stuff is still bad.

clark: "all this time i've been living my life the way my father saw it. righting wrongs for a ghost, thinking I'm here to do good...superman was never real. it was just the dream of a farmer from kansas."

lois: "that farmer's dream is all some people have. it's all that gives them hope. *touches S* - this means something."

Perfectly encapsulates why this rendition of Superman is reactionary and does things out of obligation rather than a real desire to do good in the world. Snyder completely missed the point about who and what Superman represents, and doubled down on the "hero questioning himself" trope without the appropriate build up to his arc.

cr0w

Old Member
Perfectly encapsulates why this rendition of Superman is reactionary and does things out of obligation rather than a real desire to do good in the world. Snyder completely missed the point about who and what Superman represents, and doubled down on the "hero questioning himself" trope without the appropriate build up to his arc.

I mean he did pretty much do a 180 before he sacrificed himself to kill Doomsday. He even says, 'This is my world. You are my world.' before he gives up his life for it.

Whether you like or dislike how he got to that point is an entirely different issue, but you can't completely ignore an actual part of the film that directly addresses the part you had an issue with.

I revisited B v. S a few days ago on blu ray for the 3rd time (2nd time watching the Extended Cut) and I like the movie better with each rewatch. I was in the mood to see it again after being blown away by movie of the year contender WONDER WOMAN. The theatrical version of B v. S was a mess, but I feel the Extended version brings the movie up to "pretty good" status, perhaps slightly above Man of Steel which I also enjoyed (Academy Award winning Suicide Squad though is something I have no desire to see again).

Good points:
- The visuals are fantastic. As per with Snyder.
- The best on screen version of Batman. Affleck nailed it.
- Loved the intro taking place at the end of MoS from Bruce Wayne's POV.
- The fights were fantastic.
- I enjoyed the senator character, and the look of dread on her face when she sees the jar of Granny's Peach Tea in the courthouse is one of the best scenes in the film. Great tension.
- Wonder Woman was the highlight of the film. Everyone in the theater was so HYPED when she showed up and her theme kicked in.
- The whole Lois Lane investigation storyline makes sense in the Extended Cut and the senate hearing is expanded upon. Amy Adams is always enjoyable.
- Superman looks good.
hzcbx6k.gif

Bad points:
- Lex Luther. Whew, casting Michael Cera's lookalike as the big villain was a mistake, and making him this jittery mess just didn't work imo. Is he supposed to be a misunderstood genius? LMAO
- Doomsday could have looked a bit more threatening. Looked like a cartoon. My friend refers to him as that "Shrek looking blob".
dbUgjcJ.gif

- That dream or future prophecy part or whatever still makes no sense. I had to look it up online to find out what the "Knightmare" sequence even meant.
- The laptop scene where you see clips of Aquaman/Cyborg etc. really killed the pacing in the final act. Really weird, unnatural way to shoehorn your extended universe into a film. Plus the clips had ready made logos for the characters...a mess.
dbUgjcJ.gif

- Should Superman be this dreary of a guy?

I don't know where to place the whole "Martha" thing. I didn't have a problem with it, there really wasn't a good way to end the fight which should have been a lot more one-sided, but I don't do comics so I have no idea if Clark and Bruce Wayne actually do have moms with the same first name.

I'd give the theatrical a 5/10 and the Extended Cut an 8/10. It could be an 8.5 if they had cut out the Knightmare and laptop scenes. Wonder Woman gets a 10 (Man of Steel would get a 7.5 and Suicide Squad gets a 5 from me).

Did you think the Extended Cut "Kingdom of Heaven'd" this film? Discuss.

This, this, this. It is my main gripe with the movie. Horrible casting.

ExInferus

After watching the UC I wished that I watched the theatrical cut instead. 30 minutes less certainly would have been a godsend. Total slog

JB1981

This convo bothered me because it was a retcon of the first movie. Pa Kent's dream in this movie was for Clark to become Superman? What?

a916

I mean he did pretty much do a 180 before he sacrificed himself to kill Doomsday. He even says, 'This is my world. You are my world.' before he gives up his life for it.

Whether you like or dislike how he got to that point is an entirely different issue, but you can't completely ignore an actual part of the film that directly addresses the part you had an issue with.

This.

This convo bothered me because it was a retcon of the first movie. Pa Kent's dream in this movie was for Clark to become Superman? What?

It's literally how Man of Steel ends. Martha tells Clark that. The ending scene where they are walking in the grave yard and it shows a flashback to Jonathan seeing a young Clark with the red cape.

"He always believed you were meant for greater things. And that when the day came, your shoulders would be able to bear the weight. He saw it Clark, believe me."

Awful movie made longer. I can't believe a great D.C. Movie just came out and didn't make more people realize how bad BvS is. You literally just saw a competently made movie, how can you not see how trash this is in comparison?

I enjoyed the Extended Edition more than the Theatrical for sure, but I also don't think it ended being a "pretty good" movie. I think it makes a serviceable movie slightly better. I can't understand how one could watch BvS Theatrical and think "This is fucking garbage" and then do a 180 after watching the Extended cut and think "That was pretty good!"

Blader

I strongly agree with the Lex Luthor stuff. It seems rare for two heroes to clash out of ideals alone. There always has to be some dastardly moustache twirling villain misleading and manipulating them into fighting, and it's annoying. What makes a clash of heroes interesting is the moral grey area they're fighting over, and putting in a villain ruins that.

And also totally unnecessary. The whole premise of the movie is that Batman is already distrustful of, and even hostile toward, Superman. That's the point of the Metropolis/Zod prologue sequence. All the stuff with Lex just muddies the waters and creates a more convoluted reason for Batman to v. Superman.

SG-17 said:
The Knightmare adds a ton to the movie.

It doesn't add anything. If you skipped that sequence entirely, it wouldn't change the plot or Batman's conflict with Superman one iota.

No its not. It's a fucking awful cut of an awful film. Adding 30 minutes of useless drivel won't make any movie better and it certainly did not make BvS better.

Sephzilla

If you cut the Knightmare sequence down to literally just the scene where Superman unmasks Batman, you've saved yourself some screen time and you haven't changed anything regarding how much/little that sequence adds to the movie

Azerth

the nightmare scene would have worked if they cut the Parademons. as without them it would enforce batmans fear of superman

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
the nightmare scene would have worked if they cut the Parademons. as without them it would enforce batmans fear of superman

I still don't understand why the Parademons are there at all, is it to enforce Batman's fear of Supes going full evil? Did he became the new leader of Apokolips? Hell, does Batman even know who Darkseid or the Parademons are?

Lol I forgot about that bit of dialogue. Isolating it like that really does bring out the cynicism in Snyder's fucking version of Superman.

Still, for all of it's problems, the extended cut does add contextual and emotional beats that help improve upon the (rather messy) framework. It's not a horrible piece of shit like some people claim, but this is far from being a "great film". It's serviceable as a piece of DC cinematic canon and very watchable in this format.

The theatrical cut had me LOL'ing in the theatre, though.

yes the World's Greatest Detective spend a year obsessed w Superman and does NO detective work, never looks into Superman's human parentage, never looks into the international incident at the center of the movie, just spends all day getting mad at the news.

worst Batman

I agree. I honestly don't understand what some people see in this version of Batman.

The worst comic book movie I've seen by far. I'd rate it lower than Thor 2 and Spiderman 3 even.

hiredhand

Batman v Superman was an absolute disaster that felt like three different superhero scripts duct taped together and them vomited onto the screen with the minimum amount of grace and style.

That being said I kinda understand why someone would prefer it to something like Wonder Woman or Doctor Strange. It certainly was ambitious, weird and nonformulaic and because of those qualities arguably more memorable than most superhero films.

KOMANI

KOMANI
The last thing Batman v Superman honestly needed was an extended cut. It honestly needed the complete opposite and needed a reduced cut.

-- Cut the Justice League teases
-- Cut the nightmares
-- Cut Luthor
-- Cut Doomsday
-- Cut Wonder Woman

The JL and nightmare sequences were honestly unnecessary to the plot. Doomsday is a stupid video game final boss stapled on to the end of the movie. Wonder Woman is the best part of the movie, but she's simultaneously the most unnecessary part of the movie because she only ties into the Justice League and Doomsday crap. Make the movie purely about Superman and Batman having a major idealistic clash regarding crime fighting and end the movie with them resolving their differences and realizing their two sides of the same coin. You don't even need the Lex Luthor pulling strings in the background shit either, the movie did a fine job of establishing how Batman and Superman clash.
I say, cut the whole film BUT the Knightmare sequence, and then you got yourself a pretty good short film.

Glass Rebel

Everything that can be said, has been said about this movie. It was bad when it hit theatres and was turned into something just barely watchable with the Ultimate Edition. It's time to put a moratorium on BvS discussion. Bury it. It's dead.

I won't say this with complete certainty because there is probably some really obscure comic but this is without a doubt the worst crossover of Batman Superman ever. I am so glad wonder woman came out and gave me hope for the DC extended universe.

Top Bottom