• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rewatched Batman v Superman Extended Edition; this version of the movie's pretty good

That's a flawed statement. A movie can be ruined or saved in editing.

"Extended editions" like this don't change enough to make a bad film a good one. At best they threw in some deleted scenes. A good chunk of this movie simply doesn't work and is fundamentally flawed in ways no editor could save it.

BFIB

My wife's perspective: It was boring. I want to see Superman saving cats from trees. Why didn't he try harder to save everyone? Why is he so down? Why is Batman killing people? That's not the Batman I know of. Who's this alien looking guy, and what are these boxes for? All of this is too confusing!

My perspective, as someone with a lot of DC lore: THIS IS FRIGGIN' GREAT!

I loved the movie. I thought the Extended Cut added a lot more explanation, so the casuals, like my wife, could understand things a little more clearly. I really do think that Darkseid is why MoS, and in turn, BvS is so dark. Because Darkseid is the ultimate in dark. When he appears, things take a terrible perspective. He forces the worst out in people, superheroes included. Add in a Superman that isn't quite sure of himself yet (at least in the beginning), and there's going to be a lot of turmoil.

By the end though, Superman embraces who he really is. He sacrifices himself for the people of Earth, because he realizes then, that Earth is his home. He's embracing who he wants to be, not who people (his father) expected him to be. He also takes the one person in the world, who when broken, shouldn't be redeemable in Batman, who has seen nothing but suffering his entire life. Batman changes because of Superman's sacrifice, and wants to work together to save people.

I do agree in the Luthor role though. If they wanted an evil Sheldon from BBT, then they should have just hired the guy to play Luthor.

a916

"Extended editions" like this don't change enough to make a bad film a good one. At best they threw in some deleted scenes. A good chunk of this movie simply doesn't work and is fundamentally flawed in ways no editor could save it.

Fixes certain areas, doesn't address some. I'm just totally against a blanket statement like the one I originally quoted.

Bleepey

giphy.gif

Batman fighting all those soldiers in the desert area in that dream sequence or whatteverthefuck had choreography so bad it makes the Nolan Batman films look like The Raid.

Bale had better fight sequences than Affleck...? Oh wow. People are just saying stupid shit just because

It's a premonition triggered by the imminent arrival of Darkseid and Barry's interference with the timeline, not an actual dream per se. I think Darkseid's unseen influence on the DCEU could be a reason for the oppressive tone of the first few movies, his arrival is always preceded by a general enhancement of humanity's darkest tendencies.
How does it serve the movie to have something in it that only a reader of the comics could possibly understand?

Apparently not, since there are people in this very thread that still think that was a dream sequence.
Watching the film, it's obvious that Flash is time traveling, but you're saying that it's actual Batman in the future? I don't think that's very obvious at all from watching the film. Looks like he falls asleep while it's decrypting, dreams about a future with Superman being a total asshole, then wakes up and Flash is there, but then somehow wakes up again (Flash was a dream within a dream?) and the file is decrypted. I don't think anything anyone has said explaining the sequence is obvious. Maybe I'm a moron

I agree with all your good and bad points.

With that being said, the extended cut does not bring it up to "pretty good" status... the negatives are pretty significant.

It has all the makings of a good movie, but fundamental flaws prevent BvS from ever getting there.

ZeoVGM

Banned
After seeing both, I can't quite agree.

Both the theatrical and extended are pure unmitigated trash. Man of Steel may have been average (though I would say it leans more towards bad due to its odd structure and pacing) but there's little to nothing redeemable about BvS. It might not reach Catwoman-levels of awful but it's likely around X-Men Origins: Wolverine tier.

Thankfully, Wonder Woman seems to have shown DC the type of movies that work and I expect good things from Batgirl and Aquaman.

... Not Justice League though. I have zero hope for that.

kurahador

It's a premonition triggered by the imminent arrival of Darkseid and Barry's interference with the timeline, not an actual dream per se. I think Darkseid's unseen influence on the DCEU could be a reason for the oppressive tone of the first few movies, his arrival is always preceded by a general enhancement of humanity's darkest tendencies.

......you can't be serious.

Bleepey

crOw, don't you know you have to prove your opinion in these threads?

Anyway, I've come to the realization that so many think this film is bad because they've become used to the taste and texture of the recycled shit produced by the Marvel Centipede Universe. :p

I should parody BVS shitting threads and copy and paste the same complaints and use them for Civil War.

a916

This is also a flawed statement that disregards that no matter how much editing is done, you still need the fundamental backbone in the script and story.

But it's not though. A movie can be ruined in editing and a movie can be saved in editing. They are both true.

Neither are blanket statements, and I agree that you still need a good script to make a good movie.

Vixdean

It's definitely better than MoS, mostly thanks to Batfleck. I still think Supes was miscast but not much they can do about that at this point. Everything felt very contrived, just plodding through a sloppy plot to get to the action set pieces, which were admittedly very good.

Bleepey

I mean, you could. But then people would just laugh at compare RottenTomatoes and box office results.

The DCEU at its worst win Oscars. Literally.
Oh and average box office receipts per movie
SS did comparable to GotG without China and a critical bolllocking.

I liked it at the time (the Wonder Woman scene(s) at the climatic battle MADE the film imo both theatrical and ultimate edition).

Sure the Ultimate Edition solves "some" story issues, but it still doesn't fix the bad editing, bad scripted dialog, bad acting (by both major and minor roles).

The main issue: The length of the film AND the above problems don't make the movie re-watchable like most other comic book hero films. I can watch Superman 1-2, Batman, Batman Returns, The Dark Knight trilogy, Spider-man 1-3 etc multiple times a year. I haven't watched Batman v Superman in over a year now (and that's despite owning the PSN digital version of the Ultimate Edition, dvd of the theatrical edition and blu-ray of the Ultimate Edition).

Shaanyboi

Banned
Oh and average box office receipts per movie
SS did comparable to GotG without China and a critical bolllocking.

Yes, congrats to Suicide Squad on its costuming Oscar and great trailers. Too bad the actual movie was a horrendous trashfire that has saddled this franchise with undeniably the worst Joker in film.

ZeoVGM

Banned

Literally no one takes that as a serious argument. :p

Honestly, it's totally fine to like these movies. But trying to tear down Civil War or other acclaimed movies while making the argument that BvS is a great movie just looks silly.

KahooTs

It is pretty good, certainly the best looking and best action scenes of any of these sorts of movies. Just too long for what it achieves, but so are all these films.

Budi

crOw, don't you know you have to prove your opinion in these threads?

Anyway, I've come to the realization that so many think this film is bad because they've become used to the taste and texture of the recycled shit produced by the Marvel Centipede Universe. :p

Yeah no, atleast for me that's not the reason. There's not many Marvel movies I could sincerely recommend either, Winter Soldier being the highlight and Raimi's Spiderman movies weren't all bad. Haven't seen Logan yet. If anything there's more of DC films I'd recommend because of Nolan's and Burton's Batman films. Also looking forward to seeing Wonder Woman.

Caja 117

I get the movie perfectly fine. I said it before in my post: What's happening on screen isn't exactly difficult to guess. The problem is that it doesn't feel real. It never does. Let's take Lex for example. We know why he hates Supes only from what he's telling him in his speech about god taking sides, wanting to expose Supes etc. We don't get to see how he came to hate a "god" (however he defines it) and how Sperman's appearance affects him. It just rings as hollow.

Huh.. I came out with the impression that Lex Luthor problem with higher power came from growing up with an abusive father.

......you can't be serious.
I mean, Lokis scepter was having a negative influence on the Avengers behavior in the first Avenger movie, I dont see any reason why anyone will have problem if this is the case with Justice League.

ZeoVGM

Banned
I mean, Lokis scepter was having a negative influence on the Avengers behavior in the first Avenger movie, I dont see any reason why anyone will have problem if this is the case with Justice League.

I'm going to have to echo the previous poster.

You can't be serious. lol

Exodust

Banned
You can add as much to the movie as you want, doesn't change the bad shit that's already there.

I watched both on the insistence of my little brother. They're not that different, and still pretty bad.

Azzanadra

I agree, I would give it a solid 7- even though I still have my problems with the third act, its a very human story that aims above and beyond what a superhero story has any right to be aiming for. A genuinely intelligent and introspective look at superheroes for once, and I implore all who hated the theatrical cut to watch this- theatrical cut was a 4 for me.

Also this movie has some of the coolest lines in a superhero movie ever.

"You aren't a God. You were never even a man!"
"You aren't brave. Men are brave."
"The first generations made their fortune trading pelts and skins... They were hunters."

"Must there be a Superman?"
"...There is"

I do like how DCEU is showing the world's reactions to these beings. Yes, yes, super heroes and fantasy land but it's always struck me as odd when average folks just are indifferent to the existence of these guys.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
This is also a flawed statement that disregards that no matter how much editing is done, you still need the fundamental backbone in the script and story.

Exactly, a long cut wont make crappy Lex go away or doomsday or the crap fight between bats and superman and the whole martha scene. Dont even get me started on the jollyrancher scene. This movie is so terrible the wasted potential of two iconic characters on screen and they are in this crap called a movie.

Blader

Got it.. is ok when Marvel does it but is a Problem when it is DC.

The Marvel equivalent to what you quoted would be that Loki's scepter had been influencing the MCU since Iron Man 2.

Do you see the problem with attributing the tonal direction of three movies to a plot device that hadn't yet been introduced?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

Lotr and kingdom of heaven say huh

I like the movie more with every subsequent rewatch (of the extended edition). I know I'm in a minority but I just really thoroughly enjoy the movie. Sure, even I hate the Martha scene and am not 100% on Lex. But everything else is enjoyable for me.

Suicide Squad though? Man fuck that movie. Trash, pure trash. We're stuck with a lame ass joker in the DCEU thanks to the movie performing well at the box office :(

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Lotr and kingdom of heaven say huh

how about the Hobbit extended editions?

I like the movie more with every subsequent rewatch (of the extended edition). I know I'm in a minority but I just really thoroughly enjoy the movie. Sure, even I hate the Martha scene and am not 100% on Lex. But everything else is enjoyable for me.

Suicide Squad though? Man fuck that movie. Trash, pure trash. We're stuck with a lame ass joker in the DCEU thanks to the movie performing well at the box office :(

Warner could make a Flashpoint movie that will cause the DCEU to have a better joker and Lex

Suicide Squad though? Man fuck that movie. Trash, pure trash.

That's where I am. There was a lot in BvS to like, despite it's problems, and the extended edition improved it further. It's dour, Lex is weird, the knightmare and shared-universe stuff dragged the pacing down, and MARTHA became a meme. On the other hand, it has top tier visuals, a good soundtrack, several good performances (particularly from Irons) and the singular best fight scene in all comic books movies to date. The opening scene in Metropolis was pretty incredible too. Suicide Squad by contrast was absolutely irredeemable. It's confusing to look at, can't decide what it wants to be tonally, has an even more nonsensical story than BvS, is filled with bad performances, suffers from the worst editing I've seen in a mainstream movie and has so much licensed music it's constantly distracting for the first half hour.

Sacul64GC

Banned
The Marvel equivalent to what you quoted would be that Loki's scepter had been influencing the MCU since Iron Man 2.

Do you see the problem with attributing the tonal direction of three movies to a plot device that hadn't yet been introduced?

You mean like the fear of the coming of Thanos changing Tony Starks Character in every movie he is in since the avengers?

Nah it's not good to me. Superman gets more to do, but the fact that it took them 3 hours just to tell that story was more then enough for me to know that the film wasn't really worth it.

Caja 117

They didn't have Loki's scepter influencing the movies, three movies prior to it being introduced. Ffs

It isn't the same thing.
So is not good to have this in the DCU because it doesnt follow every detail? I understand.

Been that said, hopefully they use the anti-life equation in Justice League. Sounds very interesting.

LionPride

Banned
Man what the fuck is this foolishness

Top Bottom