• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rewatched Batman v Superman Extended Edition; this version of the movie's pretty good

So is not good to have this in the DCU because it doesnt follow every detail? I understand.

Been that said, hopefully they use the anti-life equation in Justice League. Sounds very interesting.

I believe I've seen every superhero movie released in the past decade or two, and I don't know what the fuck the anti-life equation is, who Darkseid is, or anything about what happens before Darkseid arrives. That payoff, which was pulled directly from that poster's ass, would be a TERRIBLE excuse for making a handful of gloomy and terrible movies. You're free to love them, but there's no way what you're talking about is comparable to what the MCU did with Loki's scepter.
And YOU are the one that brought up the analogy, so why are you pissed when people tell you it's a terrible one?

Bleepey

My thread got closed. :( Just when I was about to rebut and everything. :( I still think I defended my points. The two movies are very similar and the point was people's motivations for criticising one movie instead of the other for faults found in the better movie whilst ignoring pretty much the same criticisms.

Caja 117

I believe I've seen every superhero movie released in the past decade or two, and I don't know what the fuck the anti-life equation is, who Darkseid is, or anything about what happens before Darkseid arrives. That payoff, which was pulled directly from that poster's ass, would be a TERRIBLE excuse for making a handful of gloomy and terrible movies. You're free to love them, but there's no way what you're talking about is comparable to what the MCU did with Loki's scepter.
And YOU are the one that brought up the analogy, so why are you pissed when people tell you it's a terrible one?

Im not upset, i already accepted the responses and said I understand, thats however doesnt mean I dont want to see it happening in some form as it appeared in some sort both in MCU and the DCU as well.Spoiler for WOnder Woman
im talking about Ares in WW

Truly iconic stuff right there. That scene and the following sequence is Snyder at the peak of his powers...goddamn. I need to watch BvS again.

Such a nothing moment all glossed up in a desperate attempt to be "iconic" (ha!) and wring meaning from a soulless endeavor. It's all just so devoid of emotion, in part because this Superman suuuuuuucks (and therefore who cares), but since the whole film is like that...

LionPride

Banned
My thread got closed. :( Just when I was about to rebut and everything. :( I still think I defended my points. The two movies are very similar and the point was people's motivations for criticising one movie instead of the other for faults found in the better movie whilst ignoring pretty much the same criticisms.
Nah, some of your complaints fell into "I want this to be a problem so people can stop complaining about what I like" territory

NandoGip

The last thing Batman v Superman honestly needed was an extended cut. It honestly needed the complete opposite and needed a reduced cut.

-- Cut the Justice League teases
-- Cut the nightmares
-- Cut Luthor
-- Cut Doomsday
-- Cut Wonder Woman

The JL and nightmare sequences were honestly unnecessary to the plot. Doomsday is a stupid video game final boss stapled on to the end of the movie. Wonder Woman is the best part of the movie, but she's simultaneously the most unnecessary part of the movie because she only ties into the Justice League and Doomsday crap. Make the movie purely about Superman and Batman having a major idealistic clash regarding crime fighting and end the movie with them resolving their differences and realizing their two sides of the same coin. You don't even need the Lex Luthor pulling strings in the background shit either, the movie did a fine job of establishing how Batman and Superman clash.

I want to watch this

Hah, all of your weak criticisms could be answered by actually paying attention to the movie. They were all literally spelled out in the film, as many posters pointed out.

Im not upset, i already accepted the responses and said I understand, thats however doesnt mean I dont want to see it happening in some form as it appeared in some sort both in MCU and the DCU as well.Spoiler for WOnder Woman
im talking about Ares in WW

Your WW spoiler isn't at all what that person was talking about, though. And it happens and is taken care of a century before the events of MoS and BvS...

Bleepey, that was an amazing thread.

I'm sorry I missed it.

All I would have added was that the film was as you described AND looked like a TV movie. Hooray for the Marvel Centipedal Universe.

Caja 117

Your WW spoiler isn't at all what that person was talking about, though. And it happens and is taken care of a century before the events of MoS and BvS...
You are not getting my point but Im not sure if its good to keep posting Wonder Woman spoilers given how recent te movie is, so, I will just stop.

Kid Ying

That's where I am. There was a lot in BvS to like, despite it's problems, and the extended edition improved it further. It's dour, Lex is weird, the knightmare and shared-universe stuff dragged the pacing down, and MARTHA became a meme. On the other hand, it has top tier visuals, a good soundtrack, several good performances (particularly from Irons) and the singular best fight scene in all comic books movies to date. The opening scene in Metropolis was pretty incredible too. Suicide Squad by contrast was absolutely irredeemable. It's confusing to look at, can't decide what it wants to be tonally, has an even more nonsensical story than BvS, is filled with bad performances, suffers from the worst editing I've seen in a mainstream movie and has so much licensed music it's constantly distracting for the first half hour.
I love BvS and can't even consider suicide squad a movie. It's one of the worst i've ever watched as a comic book fan, as someone who watches movies sometimes and as a human being. It's so awful that the only thing that can compare to it is that godawful spirit movie made by Frank Miller.

I will never understand how it was successful.

BvS on the other hand IS pretty great. Luthor apart, it's one of the best movies of it's kind and i really hope justice league is more like it than WW.

Bleepey

Hah, all of your weak criticisms could be answered by actually paying attention to the movie. They were all literally spelled out in the film, as many posters pointed out.

Like which one? My Africa complaint(s)? The sarcasm in my post was because people found it inconceivable for Superman to be blamed in Africa when there is only one witness to the "attack"and there's only the evidence Lex fabricated. Yet people will accept that the Avengers would be blamed when there are 100s of eyes saying it was all Crossbones fault.

Or was it the Black Panther argument? I used that argument to highlight the dumb argument that "oh Batman for the world's smartest detective would find it believable that Superman could cause an international incident" This is despite the fact Batman already doesn't like him cos of Metropolis. Or why would he play detective when it's perfectly rational he'd find it plausible the man who engaged in a multi-storey street fight years prior could cause collateral damage. To add to that why would he go and play detective when there's a senate hearing like 2 days after the incident.Don't get me started on Zemo's plan I am applying the same fine-toothed comb scrutiny to CW as BVS to show, the double standards.

The comments about the Bucky thing was to highlight the absurdity to shit on BVS for the Martha scene and why the poster child for "my parents are dead" super hero trope would be greatly affected by someone who on their deathbed only thought about the life of someone called Martha. It wasn't a way to make cheap ambiguously gay duo jokes it was to highlight how CW had Cap go to the ends of the earth for him. Even though if you looked at the evidence, it would make no sense for that to be the case

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Like which one? My Africa complaint(s)? The sarcasm in my post was because people found it inconceivable for Superman to be blamed in Africa when there is only one witness to the "attack"and there's only the evidence Lex fabricated. Yet people will accept that the Avengers would be blamed when there are 100s of eyes saying it was all Crossbones fault.

Or was it the Black Panther argument? I used that argument to highlight the dumb argument that "oh Batman for the world's smartest detective would find it believable that Superman could cause an international incident" This is despite the fact Batman already doesn't like him cos of Metropolis. Or why would he play detective when it's perfectly rational he'd find it plausible the man who engaged in a multi-storey street fight years prior could cause collateral damage. To add to that why would he go and play detective when there's a senate hearing like 2 days after the incident.Don't get me started on Zemo's plan I am applying the same fine-toothed comb scrutiny to CW as BVS to show, the double standards.

The comments about the Bucky thing was to highlight the absurdity to shit on BVS for the Martha scene and why the poster child for "my parents are dead" super hero trope would be greatly affected by someone who on their deathbed only thought about the life of someone called Martha. It wasn't a way to make cheap ambiguously gay duo jokes it was to highlight how CW had Cap go to the ends of the earth for him. Even though if you looked at the evidence, it would make no sense for that to be the case

Sweetie your thread was a disaster. I'm not sure if that was your real opinion or if you were partially trolling, but as a fan of both B v. S and Civil War, I can say Civil War is the better crafted, more cohesive film.

Chris Evans is also a better "Superman" as Cap than the actual Superman in B v. S.

The one thing the DCEU has over the MCU now is Wonder Woman. The Marvel women so far have been really disappointing characters whereas WW is a feminist icon.

Rktk

The extended cut was my initial experience, hours I will not get back.

QZCCfhZ.jpg

Risto

Banned
Some day I want to watch this version because I've heard it improves the movie. On the other hand this was one of the worst movies I have ever seen in a theater and I don't know if I want to take the gamble that I won't just waste more time.

Some day I want to watch this version because I've heard it improves the movie. On the other hand this was one of the worst movies I have ever seen in a theater and I don't know if I want to take the gamble that I won't just waste more time.

Ehh I would say if you didn't like the theatrical version at all then I wouldn't wast my time with the Ultimate Cut tbh.

Lyng

I honestly thought the Luthor casting was on point. He did a good job with the 'unhinged genius' motif, and his bizarre obsession with superman/god.

Even go so far as to say he was one of the best parts of the movie.

Really? For me it was typical Eisenhower: over the top unfocused acting. Easily the worst part of the movie for me. He made Lex Luther seem like a angsty teen hipster...oh wait that's him in every role

keenerz

I have to agree, I didnt like jesse eisenberg luthor. Like my expectations from watching all the cartoons and some of the comics made me to believe a more cold and calculated type of character. He seemed way too ridiculous for what I was hoping for.

kurahador

The only good thing UC added really is showing Clark being a reporter and retconing the whole Batman branding criminal so they get killed in prison.

jviggy43

The only good thing UC added really is showing Clark being a reporter and retconing the whole Batman branding criminal so they get killed in prison.

I'd even argue that that is pretty bad and uninteresting as its just him and another person walking and talking which is essentially the worst way to convey information to the audience (IE think star wars prequels). Plus it still doesn't change the superficial concern superman should be having over batman. Like clark, you leveled an entire fucking city and are flying into other countries killing terrorists to save your woman; you don't have the high ground to stand on here so why are you pretending to be so appalled by this?

ramparter

Banned
I honestly don't get the Extended edition love. I mean sure the cinema cut had editing issues but imo that wasn't the movie's biggest issue. I had fun watching the movie but it's stupid beyond saving. At least I liked the atmosphere, the music and Wonder Woman!

This one actually made Batman even worse, at least in the original cut I didn't got that. Fuck this Batman, the guy was a maniac thirsty for blood.

Jashobeam

yea i watched it on Saturday for the first time and enjoyed it for the most part, the action scenes were cool and Ben Affleck did a great job as Batman. Some parts in the story were really, really dumb though

LionPride

Banned

I hope one day you'll understand two things

1. No one cares

2. There are no double standards about the movies beyond what you want to see bevause you want to validate your opinions on both movies

It's fucking fantastic.

I wish more superhero movies aimed for the stars like this. It might have not quite gotten there, but it got far enough.

And yes, best Batman.

A murderous, sulking, nondetective, rage machine is the best Batman?

Better than Adam West or Keaton or Bale? Batman Begins?

Reality has no place here.

Eisenberg's Luthor was worse than Leto's Joker.

Woah now, I hated him too but lets not go overboard...

It really speaks to the maturity level of people who prefer the "punch everything mah parents are dead MARTHA!" to a more calm, dignified portrayal.

Well, Batfleck does do detective work at several points in the movie. Keaton kills more people than cancer, so he's probably not the best point of comparison. Even the weakest of the Nolan films is still notably better than BvS, but Christian Bale isn't that much better than Ben Afleck in the role. They're both good.

I feel like you have to separate the Batman and Bruce Wayne personas for each actor since they all seem to excel in one and do poorly with the other.

IMO, Val Kilmer was a piss poor Bruce Wayne but an excellent Batman.

Well, Batfleck does do detective work at several points in the movie. Keaton kills more people than cancer, so he's probably not the best point of comparison. Even the weakest of the Nolan films is still notably better than BvS, but Christian Bale isn't that much better than Ben Afleck in the role. They're both good.

Veelk

Banned

You know how some really good actors get roles where they have nothing to work with. Take that concept, and apply it to everything about this batman. It's emblematic in every aspect of his character.

For example, the design. Like, you could make a strong argument that this is technically the best crafted Batsuit we have with how it looks like a real suit, but shows it's comic book origins strongly (unlike Nolan's Batsuit which looked like a modified body armor suit...which is exactly hwat it was.). But I personally hate the design of it. I hate the tiny bat ears, the fat bat, and how there it's completely grey (I like something like a gold belt to provide color seperation, and the Nolans bat suit often looked bluish due to the lighting)

Or his Batmobile. I actually think it looks great in design other than the front central rail gun he has on it (it's not even a "batman shouldn't have guns" thing, it just looks out of place), and it's sleek design marries the Tumbler look with the classic look nicely. However, it's one of the worst car chase sequences I've ever seen. I could never tell where he was in relation to the cars he was chasing, so all the explosions just felt like a lot of noise to me.

And of course there is Batman's actual role in the story and personality, which has all been discussed at length.

There are genuinely positive elements to Batfleck, but literally every piece is used wrong, which comes up for me as the worst live action Batman of them. Which is a shame because Ben Affleck is someone who could really bring him to life if he were given the right stuff.

Lex was the only con I couldn't get over. He's "what-were-they-thinking" bad. Turning Superman's nemesis into a bumbling, hysterical, brat is unforgivable.

It was horrible. But the cinema cut was even worse. It's incomprehensable to me how anyone could have thought after watching that cut "We have a hit on our hands!".

Rmagnus

Banned
DerZuhälter;241303534 said:
It was horrible. But the cinema cut was even worse. It's incomprehensable to me how anyone could have thought after watching that cut "We have a hit on our hands!".

Well it did make quite a fair amount in box office tbf

You know how some really good actors get roles where they have nothing to work with. Take that concept, and apply it to everything about this batman. It's emblematic in every aspect of his character.

For example, the design. Like, you could make a strong argument that this is technically the best crafted Batsuit we have with how it looks like a real suit, but shows it's comic book origins strongly (unlike Nolan's Batsuit which looked like a modified body armor suit...which is exactly hwat it was.). But I personally hate the design of it. I hate the tiny bat ears, the fat bat, and how there it's completely grey (I like something like a gold belt to provide color seperation, and the Nolans bat suit often looked bluish due to the lighting)

Or his Batmobile. I actually think it looks great in design other than the front central rail gun he has on it (it's not even a "batman shouldn't have guns" thing, it just looks out of place), and it's sleek design marries the Tumbler look with the classic look nicely. However, it's one of the worst car chase sequences I've ever seen. I could never tell where he was in relation to the cars he was chasing, so all the explosions just felt like a lot of noise to me.

And of course there is Batman's actual role in the story and personality, which has all been discussed at length.

There are genuinely positive elements to Batfleck, but literally every piece is used wrong, which comes up for me as the worst live action Batman of them. Which is a shame because Ben Affleck is someone who could really bring him to life if he were given the right stuff.

I didn't like the car chase either, and the design of the batsuit isn't something I'm in love with. Although what BvS and Suicide Squad did highlight to me on that front was the importance of the cinematography for the suit designs. In BvS I was pretty cool with it, but in Suicide Squad it looked comical because it was shot so poorly. This was also something Nolan had some success with in Batman Begins - the art of concealing how goddamned silly everything is if you put it under proper lighting and linger too long.

Things I really liked about Batman in BvS:

• He uses a voice modulator. I can't believe it took this long.
  • He has a preexisting history and they can introduce longtime allies and recurring enemies without needing to do origin stories for them.
  • Ben's physique was ridiculous
  • He's actually shown in the workshop / science lab doing engineering and science shit, which felt quite absent in the Nolan films thanks to Lucius taking on that role almost exclusively.
  • His introduction being filmed like a horror movie was a great choice
  • The warehouse fight was incredible, showing off not just his hand-to-hand skills but also his planning and gadgetry.

Also, while it's not really "Batman", I thought Alfred was really really good. I liked Michael Caine too, but they're both approaching it differently and I think Irons might even be better, or at least has the potential to be if they give him some good movies to feature in.

Things I didn't like:

• Branding people was poorly explained
  • Being a bit too loose with the kills in the car chase. I'm not even opposed to the kill at the end of the film, nor am I a purist with Batman's no-kill rule, but the car chase was a bit gratuitous
  • Batman's leap from wanting to protect against Superman to wanting to actively kill him could have been handled much better
  • The Martha reveal was also handled extremely poorly. The idea of the common name being what briefly snaps him out of his mission and causes him to hear superman out isn't even a terrible idea implicitly, but they needed to script the scene much better than they did. If instead of "His mother's name is Martha" Lois comes up and says "His mother's name is Martha, Lex kidnapped her and is threatening to kill her unless superman kills you" then Batman actually has something to work with and can realize he was being duped.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
they should have had 30 more minutes of crazy Knightmare stuff with Warehouse style fighting, then scrap the rest of the movie

it's irredeemably bad, but i do hope JL is good

holy shit

😂😂😂

pretty wild that in 2017, Superman is a piece of cardboard and Captain America is a global example of modern heroism

womfalcs3

Banned
"- Lex Luther. Whew, casting Michael Cera's lookalike as the big villain was a mistake, and making him this jittery mess just didn't work imo. Is he supposed to be a misunderstood genius? LMAO"

Apparently he's coming back for Justice League.

Wonder Woman has built up a lot of good faith.

Justice League will fully redeem DCEU in the eyes of GAF.

Though GAF will put it down to Whedon rescuing the movie rather than praise Snyder :(

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Wonder Woman has built up a lot of good faith.

Justice League will fully redeem DCEU in the eyes of GAF.

Though GAF will put it down to Whedon rescuing the movie rather than praise Snyder :(

I think any large, dynamic, exciting team shots will be credited to Snyder

He has some issues as a filmmaker, but his cape action scenes are amongst the best in the business

At least it wasn't AoU.

avengers-age-of-ultron-the-vision-makeup-feature.jpg

Top Bottom