• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rez Infinite Gets a Physical Release, Vinyl Soundtrack, Art Book, T-Shirt & More

ChryZ

mmh look at that reversible cover

Cyx9XOdUcAARAsR.jpg
Still better than the front cover.

Hoo boy and to think I almost went all in with the merch and shit. Thanks GAF, saved me from making a horrible mistake. I have my original copy of Rez anyways. Infinite is cool but nothing I need physically.

Paz

The final cover isn't too awful but damn it is a huge step down from the concept, and not even shelling out for reversible :/

Whole thing has been such a clusterfuck so far with this + the delays + the digital code stuff, will never order from iam8bit again and will warn others against them.

Wonder if they've updated their store page with the "final" artwork?

Still showing the above image on their site for me. In the rather unlikely event that the cover shown in that tweet is just a sample, it's poor form to still display something different if that's not what paying customers will end up with.

Theonik

Seriously I don't mind the delays at all, but the cover downgrade is just taking the piss. I just wanted the advertised foil cover and possibly a reversible cover and manual.

Fuck those guys.

EmiPrime

I have this email ready to go:

Hi,

I’d like to cancel my order and receive a full refund. You missed the PSVR launch, then the PS4 Pro launch which was bad enough and now having seen the finished item with the disappointing cover that does not look as good as the preview image which suggested that it would be holographic, no reversible cover and no manual I am not satisfied and feel this product was misrepresented. This does not look like a collector’s item, it looks like the bare minimum was done and this was not worth the wait.

Paypal transaction ID:

Kind regards,

But bloody hell, this is one of my favourite games ever. I might never have another chance to own this on disc. :( I haven't plucked up the courage to click send yet. Might just ask for a refund and leave it at that without tearing them to shreds as above.

soultron

Banned
Happy I canceled my order for the physical copy so early. Looks like it's not worth it. At this point, people on the Internet will probably create the intended cover for themselves somehow. (You might ask, "How will they do the foil treatment," but that can probably be figured out.)

At this point, I'm wondering if the book attached to the vinyl is going to have corners cut somewhere. It will probably be printed on glossy thin magazine-quality paper. Hahaha.

Joke's on me because I kept my order for the vinyl.

As long as we end up receiving the game, I'll consider it a "mission complete". Not "gloriously complete", but whatever :x
I hope this kind of exclusivities goes to LRG or Fangamer in the future, though.
That's pretty much all I wanted out of this release. I frankly don't care which publisher or distributor handles these type of titles, just as long as they fulfill preserving these projects on disc for future generations then I will be satisfied. While I'm sure LRG and Fangamer would've supplied better, premium packaging, I'm completely fine with a minimalist case. It's definitely a bit of a bummer the holographic aspect was seemingly dropped from the cover art, but it honestly would've just been a bonus aspect to the whole release. Operating a business with excess delays doesn't help with customer appeal either yet I acknowledge that I have an abnormal sense of patience. I've spent the last decade waiting for Last Guardian, Final Fantasy XV, Steins;Gate and Duke Nukem Forever to reach retail shelves, among the endless void of postponed films and albums, so a handful of months isn't excruciating. Against the grain of most criticisms in the thread, I'll probably order from them again if they keep chasing physical releases of digital stuff, like Hyper Light Drifter, Thumper or Fez assuming they can capitalize upon their current connections with these developers.

I imagine what got them the publishing deal was how impressed Mizuguchi was with the vinyl soundtrack. If they fail that as well that won't leave a very good impression... At least not with other potential Japanese devs.

...just as long as they fulfill preserving these projects on disc for future generations then I will be satisfied.

One might argue that the disc technology of today is far from adequate for long-tail preservation.

While I'm sure LRG and Fangamer would've supplied better, premium packaging, I'm completely fine with a minimalist case. It's definitely a bit of a bummer the holographic aspect was seemingly dropped from the cover art, but it honestly would've just been a bonus aspect to the whole release.

The holo design shouldn't be considered a mere bonus when it was as advertised in order to secure preorders. Sure, Iam8bit covered their backs with the caveat of 'Art not final', but it's misleading and comes across as sneaky cost-cutting to quietly remove it from the finished product.

Operating a business with excess delays doesn't help with customer appeal either yet I acknowledge that I have an abnormal sense of patience.

While I can respect your patience, this company has repeated form for countless delays and generally poor communication with their customers. Of course some delays are unavoidable, but when they are experienced for practically every product they output, perhaps it's time for them to reconsider their business model to something a little more manageable/realistic.

Shaneus

Yeah maybe.

As for the manual, has it been advertised somewhere ? Genuinely asking.
I think people were just expecting that given it's a physical release, they would've gone all out. Like they did with the vinyl and it's "extreme value".

1upsuper

What an embarrassment. I'm sorry fellow Rez fans. I held off since I had heard horror stories from the vinyl thread about iam8bit but this is worse than I imagined.

v0yce

Got my copy today.

Unfortunately it looks exactly like the pictures shown. No foil or special printing. No art on the inside aside from the GIGANTIC safety warning message.

It honestly looks like it was printed on a home printer.

Not sure how well it shows in the picture below, but that white ring near the bottom isn't a reflection or something, it's where the label was cut poorly and that's just the plain white paper showing. They didn't even give it a proper bleed. :/

The disk art/label is a bit ragged all around and if you can see in the top right corner here there's a noticeable defect or something odd going on. The whole thing just feels really underwhelming and cheap. If I would have bought this off ebay I would have thought it was a bootleg.

I realize this wasn't positioned as an expensive collector's edition or something, but after their pricey shipping this was $50+ dollars. Added to that the months delay and I feel this is really unacceptable. This is seriously dollar store effort here and it's such a shame for an amazing game built with incredible care and craft.

Total bummer. :(

I saw the groaning in the thread when this was announced for iam8bit and now I fully understand. I will not buy from them again and will encourage others to do the same. Hopefully there will be enough noise to stop game companies from giving them future exclusives.

Also, somehow I'm sure this is Mark MacDonald's fault.

Yikes, I'm sorry y'all have had to deal with that. I mean....I can't say I'm surprised, it's iam8bit after all. But still.

It just disappoints me that iam8bit gets these amazing games that deserve better treatment (as do their customers).

robotrock

Banned
Got my copy today.

Unfortunately it looks exactly like the pictures shown. No foil or special printing. No art on the inside aside form the GIGANTIC safety warning message.

Not sure how well it shows in the picture below, but that white ring near the bottom isn't a reflection or something, it's where the label was cut poorly and that's just the plain white paper showing. They didn't even give it a proper bleed. :/

The disk art/label is a bit ragged all around and if you can see in the top right corner here there's a noticeable defect or something odd going on. The whole thing just feels really underwhelming and cheap. If I would have bought this off ebay I would have thought it was a bootleg.

I realize this wasn't positioned as an expensive collector's edition or something, but after their pricey shipping this was $50+ dollars. Added to that the months delay and I feel this is really unacceptable. This is seriously dollar store effort here and it's such a shame for an amazing game built with incredible care and craft.

I saw the groaning in the thread when this was announced for iam8bit and now I fully understand. I will not buy from them again and will encourage others to do the same. Hopefully there will be enough noise to stop game companies from giving them future exclusives.

This is a huge bummer. iam8bit is sure terrible with prices and delays, but usually their products are quality. This sucks

soultron

Banned
Are there no iam8bit employees that post here? Add me to the group that will never give them my business again.
Even if they did, I think they've scraped all English thesaurus editions for synonyms of the word "premium" and ran out. They don't have material for their PR anymore, the well has run dry.

Shaneus

I like how in this tweet they've faded the colour in it so you can't quite tell if it's had the foil print or not. It honestly looks like it might. In that photo.

Thanks for the pics v0yce, what a mess. I had notions of maybe picking a copy up from someone looking to sell their copy in future, but not when I can see the sub-par quality of the finished product.

I guess that's another one to chalk up on the 'reasons not to use Iam8bit, ever' board then.

Samuray

Oh, so copies really ARE shipping then? Didn't expect that at all. Okay then.

Does one get some kind of shipping confirmation email or will the game jist show up one day?
Really hoping it won't get stuck in customs.....yes, I'm in Germany and DID order from their UK store but looking at the rate of colossal fuck-uppery I wouldn't be surprised if they sent my copy over the Atlantic because why not.

Oh, so copies really ARE shipping then? Didn't expect that at all. Okay then.

Does one get some kind of shipping confirmation email or will the game jist show up one day?
Really hoping it won't get stuck in customs.....yes, I'm in Germany and DID order from their UK store but looking at the rate of colossal fuck-uppery I wouldn't be surprised if they sent my copy over the Atlantic because why not.
yeah I'm curious how and when EU orders will ship. I'm not expecting everything to go smoothly

Shaneus

I still can't get over the label being off-centre. How the fuck could that even happen?

I'm guessing they had to settle for a manufacturer who had the capacity to print these at whatever cost. Just surprises me that given the supposed quality is their vinyl releases, they'd pump out shit like this... blatant false advertising with the cover, delays and poor/cheap quality of the product in general.

Even I didn't think they'd botch this release that much. I bet they'll not even have the correct version of Fear on the vinyl by the time people actually get it, which was my sole reason for contemplating it in the first place.

Glad I didn't buy into it though.

yeah I'm curious how and when EU orders will ship. I'm not expecting everything to go smoothly
I'm expecting EU orders to come with my sisters finger and a note written in blood or something.

How do they fuck something up this bad? I'll just be happy if it arrives on the back of a mixtape at this point but add this Brit to the chorus never buying from iam8bit again.

entremet

I really wanted a physical copy to compliment my PS2 copy, but fuck iam8bit.

Will never support them. Sorry for those feeling the pain.

Cleve

Lol, I'm glad I held off. I didn't trust iam8bit, and it looks like I had good reason to be suspicious. This is basically made as an item for collectors only, and it just looks cheap.

I'll stick to owning it digitally and having a euro dc copy. If I really feel like it I'll print out a box on my inkjet. Can't look any worse.

LiK

Wow, what a bummer. I was expecting foil on the cover at least. Even LRG's Volume had a sweet cover like that. It's gorgeous.

Fuck these guys, I'm done with them as well. Need to unsub from their newsletters and unfollow them on Twitter. They get all these amazing licenses and they screw up not just the release dates but also the products themselves. I still have that NMS EE stuck in delay hell.

I'm so glad LRG exists. iam8bit should learn from them.

Vespa

Passed on buying a physical copy after they tried to scalp people on shipping. It's really shitty to see that they've put out such a poor effort for this. Rez deserves better.

Kills me every time Mizuguchi retweets some iam8bit rez related pr.

NEO0MJ

While I'm glad I didn't order this I regret buying the Undertale vinyl from them. Such a company doesn't deserve support.

LiK

While I'm glad I didn't order this I regret buying the Undertale vinyl from them. Such a company doesn't deserve support.

Ah yea, I preordered that too. But once that's shipped, I'm out. Totally done with this company.

Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't Sony actually press the discs? Could this just be a one off manufacturing defect? Trying to give iam8bit the benefit of a doubt.

I too am disappointed with the constant delays from iam8bit, but only having received the No Man's Sky LP I have very little to judge on from a quality standpoint. That was excellent in my case. I still have Rez and several other LPs on order.

LiK

Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't Sony actually press the discs? Could this just be a one off manufacturing defect? Trying to give iam8bit the benefit of a doubt.

I too am disappointed with the constant delays from iam8bit, but only having received the No Man's Sky LP I have very little to judge on from a quality standpoint. That was excellent in my case. I still have Rez and several other LPs on order.

I think even if the disc printing was a factory defect, the fact that the cover isn't foil and there's no reversible cover without the PSVR graphics is all on iam8bit.

Got my copy today.

Unfortunately it looks exactly like the pictures shown. No foil or special printing. No art on the inside aside form the GIGANTIC safety warning message.

Look at that shit. Wow.

I warned y'all about this company.

Top Bottom