• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rez Infinite |OT| Fear is the Mind Killer-App

Kyonashi

FFJ1oFB.png

image.png

trH8Uio.png

Developer: Enhance Games
Producer: Tetsuya Mizuguchi
Platform: PlayStation 4 (PlayStation VR compatible)
Release Date: October 13, 2016
Genre: Rhythm Rail Shooter
Rating: PEGI 7, ESRB E10+, CERO A

Rez is a musical rail-shooter video game first developed by United Game Artists (the team behind Space Channel 5) for the Sega Dreamcast and the Sony PlayStation 2. Since its release, it has been ported and translated for North American and European audiences, including being re-released as Rez HD for the Xbox 360. The game also received a spiritual successor and prequel: the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 game, Child of Eden.

The game is set in futuristic computer "supernetwork" called Project-K where much of the data flow is controlled by an AI named Eden. Eden has become overwhelmed with the amount of knowledge gathered on the network, causing her to doubt her existence and enter a shutdown sequence, which would create catastrophic problems everywhere should she be able to complete this. The player plays the protagonist hacker, logging into the Project-K system to reboot Eden while destroying any viruses or firewalls that happen to inhibit progress, and analyzing other sub-areas of the network to gain access to Eden's location. The Project-K name and much of the game's visual and synesthesia inspiration comes from the Russian painter Wassily Kandinsky, whose name is mentioned at the very end of the game credits, whereas the Rez name was inspired by the Underworld track of the same name.

Now you can blast through Rez Infinite on your PS4 to appreciate its razor-sharp 1080p resolution (or 4K native on PS4 Pro), silky-smooth 60 frames-per-second motion, and full 7.1 surround-sound support (for what’s been called one of the greatest gaming soundtracks ever made), or plug in your PlayStation VR headset and experience 360 degrees of mind-blowing synesthesia (at 120 frames-per-second!), as colors and sounds sync and blend around you, all in time to Rez’s legendary techno-flavored beats in full 3D audio.

image.png

MXSJMxR.png

Is this playable without PlayStation VR?
YES! If you own a PS4, there's nothing stopping you from owning this awesome, classic title and experiencing synaesthesia.
People have recommended experiencing the brand-new Area X in VR, and whilst some people may wait to play that for the first time in VR, there's nothing stopping you from playing it on your regular old TV.

Is there a demo?
Yes! You can try it out for free on the PSVR demo disc in North America or downloadable from the store in other territories.

But Rez already got an HD port, didn't it? What does this add?
A whole new area! Area X is the sixth level, never-before-seen, and with particle effects galore. Check out the screenshots below!
The game now also supports resolutions up to 4K on PS4 Pro (1080p on standard PS4) - whereas Rez HD only supported 720p - as well as 60fps support for TVs and the whole game playable in 120fps on PlayStation VR.
The Rez HD soundtrack was remixed for 5.1, but also made slight changes to parts of certain tracks. Nothing drastic, but Infinite seems to use the original soundtrack as well as full 7.1 surround sound.

Is this game difficult?
It's one of those 'easy to play, hard to master' games. You can blast through the whole game and enjoy the experience, but getting 100% on the levels will be a real challenge.

Are there multiple modes?
Yes, there's a Score Attack mode, Never-Ending mode (called Trance Mission), No-Death mode (called Travelling mode), a start-to-finish mode (called Direct Assault) and a Boss Rush mode.

Does this game support PlayStation Move?
The Move motion controller is indeed supported (when playing in VR) -- you can aim with it, or aim with your headset and just use it for buttons.

I can't for the life of me get a high score, even with 100% analyzation, shot down, and support! What am I doing wrong?
You're not shooting the enemies with high enough combos. The more enemies you lock on to at one time (eight maximum), the more points you'll get for killing them all. Also, in Score Attack mode, enemies will tend to fire missiles at you a lot more, so if you hold of on killing enemies, you can hit those missiles for extra points.

image.png

eQMRPnN.png

di6kzkexcdfr26cktrvw.png
wg4ggsfz3sr1iuctrc1i.png
yvjhr8mkascqkjcb40rb.png

grhpsqxt5egiuvunlpzl.png
vebxuy4tr1dygeckntbc.png
4k_area1_01_1476116682.jpg

Area X Screenshots
AreaX_03.0.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg
AreaX_04.0.jpg

image.png

8eDW9kZ.png

Rez Infinite Reveal @ PlayStation Experience 2015
Reveal Trailer (Direct Feed)
Area X Reveal Trailer
Footage of the original Dreamcast title

image.png

ZtSoJ3j.png

“I’ll be honest: a big reason we’re doing this is that I wanted to have one of these for myself!”
-Tetsuya Mizuguchi // President and CEO, Enhance Games

The exclusive physical edition is only available through iam8bit.com, and won’t be sold in stores. It's region-free, so will work on all PS4 consoles, and has beautiful holographic cover art designed by Cory Schmitz.
There's also a range of t-shirts and badges/pins on the store too. Some people are a bit annoyed that iam8bit will not be shipping the game until 'Winter 2016' (likely November from what they've said), which is of course a shame to not be available at launch, but think how lucky we are to be getting this physical release at all. :)

RBiPCRU.png

There's also a limited edition of the soundtrack vinyl which comes on Standard Orange or Special Picture Disc, and includes an art book.

image.png

8PACV4a.png

Enhance Games' website
Official PlayStation Blog - Rez Infinite
iam8bit Rez Infinite Collection
PSN Trophy List
NeoGAF Review Thread
A 2004 GAF thread about how good the Trance Vibrator is
A Bish thread talking about the Trance Vibrator

wVukqxf.jpg

3fOmlZS.png

----COMPETITION TIME----

Exciting news for the thread - I have a digital code for Rez Infinite to give away for FREE! (Unfortunately the code is for US accounts only, apologies)

Now, I'm not a big fan of the 'First come, first served' form of giveaway, so I thought we'd try something a bit different. Every post made in this thread with 'Rez Code' in your post title in the next day I will consider an entry into the competition. I'll announce the winner in this thread at about 2pm BST on the 19th October. PLEASE NO EMPTY POSTS OR 'ME PLEASE' ENTRIES, THESE WON'T BE CONSIDERED AS THEY'LL CLOG THE THREAD.

If you write a more thoughtful post about why you deserve the Rez code or why you're a Rez fan then this may have an effect on the decision ;) - but mostly I'd also just love to see this thread become a bit of a Rez shrine of people talking about why they love the game!

Good luck to all entrants!

Kyonashi

Can I just say what an honor it was to work on this OT. :) Nine-year-old me who walked into a Toys R' Us fifteen years ago and picked up a PS2 copy off the shelf with no idea what it was (just thinking the boxart was cool) would be so psyched to see this game in virtual reality.

Hope you all love the game as much as I have for over half my life!

I also didn't want to bloat the OT, but make sure you check out the history of the Trance Vibrator peripheral that came with the original game, as well as it's ultimate conclusion, the Synaethesia Suit worn by Tetsuya at the PSX reveal.

Also GAF's very own m0dus made a really awesome Dynamic Theme for the PS4 dash which was available as a pre-order bonus, hopefully it will be available for purchase in the future.

Can you tell I really like this game...?

Those transparent icons take me way back. Are they from the old Rez site?

This thread looks so fucking good in the dark theme.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Rez is finally in the current gen! w00t w00t!

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
After reading the reviews and high praise for this game, I caved and ordered the iam8bit release of it.

I'm super excited to try the demo when my psvr finally gets here

Agent X

I preordered this on PSN earlier today, and I almost never preorder downloadable games. I'm looking forward to playing in just a few hours!

ryseing

I'm incredibly disappointed with iam8bit. They should have cut off orders if there were going to be manufacturing issues. Instead, we're left with a very broad ETA of winter, which is really unacceptable if you preordered day one like me with the belief that the physical copy would make launch window.

It's unfortunate as while I did not think they would make launch I still held out hope they would at least make October. That is not the case. At least send out a code as well to make up for the wait. I'm left with either waiting until god knows when for my killer app to get here or caving and double dipping, neither of which are great options.

amnesiac

I don't know if I should wait until next year when I have a VR headset or buy Rez (which I've never played before) without it. Anyone else have the same dilemma?

i-Jest

FUCK. I completely forgot to preorder. Any chance the preorder dynamic theme will be available post release?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Say, what time does this unlock on PSN? It wouldn't happen to be 12am Eastern, would it?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Can someone explain how is the game played with and without the move controller? Do you aim by looking at things, or do you aim by pointing at things with move?

robotrock

Banned
I don't know if I should wait until next year when I have a VR headset or buy Rez (which I've never played before) without it. Anyone else have the same dilemma?

Buy now, play Rez Areas 1-5. Save Area X for when you have a VR headset. This is a foolproof plan.

Shin-Ra

Area X looks amazing! I just wish my preferred SQUARE to shoot control config carried into Area X like the rest of the game.

I think only Area X is running in Unreal Engine 4 so that's probably why it takes longer to load and modified controls aren't consistent.

Just finished my first run through Areas 1-5. Sometimes there's nothing better than blasting Rez at 2am with headphones cranked and now it looks better than ever.

Really makes me think about buying the VR headset but I can afford it right now. Can't wait to check out area x.

I missed this on the Dreamcast and never got around to it on other consoles, but caved in and just pre-ordered on PSN for the theme and everything else. I absolutely love Lumines, so I'm pumped that the first time I'll experience this game will be in VR.

Gotta go to bed but feels great to jump back into the first two levels quick.

Small question: is there any way to improve the headphone sound from the controller? I maxed the volume and it still didn't sound loud enough to me, and I am using a nice pair of headphones.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Looks good. Feels good. 😎👍🏼

Been playing it for a little while now. The menus took a huge hit and that kind of sucks but aside from that it's as good as ever. I can't wait to try out the new level.

Mr Jared

I just buckled and bought a PSVR for this game. Quick question: Does it utilize the PlayStation Move controllers? Or is it Dualshock only?

Dammit, the link on the store still says Preorder, but it didn't give me the dynamic theme. Oh well, at least I've got it now! Worth the $30 despite that. (wasn't it supposed to be $40?)

This game is still amazing. Wish it had some of the extra graphical settings from Rez HD where you could adjust the bloom and blur though.

wowowow Area X is just fantastic. I'm glad I held off on looking anything up about it, it's so damn pretty. I bet it's mindblowing in VR.

Game crashed on me during it unfortunately, so I'm calling it quits for the night however. Looking forward to playing it more tomorrow.

I've got to ask, when you first start the fight with the Area 3 boss, when it does all those shockwaves to shake up those blocks, did the Xbox 360 version not have a sound effect to go with it? I just got finished with that area and I don't remember there being a sound effect when it sends out the shockwaves. I played Rez a stupid amount when I first got it on the Xbox and I kinda remember there being no sound effect but the controller would vibrate. I'd check but my Xbox controller hasn't been working so well lately.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
This is one of those classics where the mechanics are a little basic compared to many modern titles, but it still feels so ahead of the curve in its dedication to itself and its vision. I'm really jealous of everyone who gets to experience it for the first time this way!

I just tried it out at the Galaxy event in Harajuku and it was so cool! Mizuguchi-san was there, too!
It was my first time experiencing PSVR! Area X is amazing~~! It was so surreal to not be on rails and to be able to freely look around! I can't wait for my copy to arrive! :)

Just played though all but Area 5 (died during the boss and I should probably go to bed anyway) with 4 controllers in Trance Vibrator mode, headphones, and in a perfectly dark room.

Holy shit. I'm still recovering. The human body is not made for so much stimuli. It's enveloping. Pretty much every sense but taste and smell are being used at full force.

Top Bottom