• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rez Infinite |OT| Fear is the Mind Killer-App

How many hours is this game?

rez is like an album you return to over and over again throughout your life.

if you want numbers, it's start-to-finish roughly as long as second toughest in the infants by underworld, a record that i've spent hundreds of hours of my life listening to. and i've probably spent hundreds of hours playing rez, too.

I'm surprised nobody else has posted about this (unless I missed it), but there's an event going on in Shibuya where you can try out the game in VR as well as the synesthesia suit.
14702260_10207540112958719_8108978989705144795_n.jpg

I played through Area X and then 4 in the ~25 minutes I got to play, and man the main game is a hell of a lot easier in VR haha. Got 100% shot down in Area 4 no problem, and the boss fight took like half the time it usually does.
They also had the iam8bit merch that exists at this point (shirts and pins) for sale, so I picked up all of them. The Phil Fish design shirt sold out pretty quick but when I left they still had some sizes of the other one. If you're in the area tomorrow you should definitely check it out, they've got a great setup going on.

Shin-Ra

The soft-particle, point cloudish rendering style seems like an ideal match for early VR, minimising the risk of aliasing.

30311105605_6ee7b096d1_o.png

As long as TAA smearing's kept under control, I think Dreams'll be a good match for the same reason. You might even be able to make Area X-like levels.

ZombAid82

Anybody else get an email from iam8bit for a dynamic theme and it didn't work for them?
Code isn't correct or is already redeemed...

Fuck'in iam8bit!!!

xsarien

daedsiluap
It's not even just that The immersion works very well in VR, it's also that head aiming works SO well for Rez.

Me, when I found that option and turned it on: "Now we're gonna see some serious shit."

I've lost count of the amount of times I've played through Rez. In VR I can finally turn around and see enemies that I know are coming; enemies I used to have to wait for. Head aiming is basically God mode for Rez vets.

And I'm never turning it off. :)

As long as TAA smearing's kept under control, I think Dreams'll be a good match for the same reason. You might even be able to make Area X-like levels.

I've always thought Dreams is going to be the killer app for the PSVR, though at the pace MM is going it may be another three years before it's finished. They did say they'll release an open beta this year, but I don't know if that will include VR support.

zooL

man... I had tears in my eyes today as I played area 5 for the first time in 10 years... in VR, with 3D audio... it is glorious! *sob*

jrcbandit

I need to try out head aiming. I was using the Move controller and was wondering why everyone was raving about the VR version. The Move controller is laggy and doesn't work at all when you need to shoot behind you like with the bosses.

Chucker

Bummer they're not selling the theme/avs separate. Didn't have the funds before launch.

Beat 1-5, X. Time to go score attacking and looking for the alt boss in X.

flattie

So how did Child of Eden stack up against Rez? Was it a genuine sequel in all but name, or was the link more thematic? I never bothered with it due to the apparent focus on motion controls.

Incidentally, I wonder if Area X serves as a tease for a future release, or if it is just intended as a singular piece of work. Either way, I'm just grateful to see games like this still finding their way onto modern systems.

Ladekabel

Never played Rez. Was wary with buying it for the price of asking but caved in. Played Area 1 + 2 so far and love it. If I had the money I'd probably buy VR just for Rez. Or at least Move controllers if it would support them outside of VR.

So how did Child of Eden stack up against Rez? Was it a genuine sequel in all but name, or was the link more thematic? I never bothered with it due to the apparent focus on motion controls.

The gameplay is almost exactly the same, with two major differences: score bonus for on-beat shots, and a secondary weapon for shooting down missiles/attacking certain enemies. The motion controls aren't necessary to enjoy the game at all.

dadjumper

Went to the event on its last day in Harajuku today. Didn't manage to get the synesthesia suit since it was all booked up, but got to play all of Area X. This was also my first time experiencing VR. I was pretty floored, to say the least.

CyberChulo

All right! I shoved 2 DS4 in my pajama pockets and went to Area 4 in VR. The sensation is pretty awesome! When I got the the boss, they kicked in really hard and I was so immersed. I have to get another controller from upstairs to have 3 of them vibrate and check out how that is.

Incidentally, I wonder if Area X serves as a tease for a future release, or if it is just intended as a singular piece of work. Either way, I'm just grateful to see games like this still finding their way onto modern systems.

I think Lumi in Child of Eden is supposed to be a AI that has evolved inside the world of Rez.

raven777

Ok I finished the game including Area X on VR. Wow what a ride. Like I said before, it was my first time playing Rez. The gameplay is quite simple and there isn't anything really special in terms of gameplay mechanics. But the unique sound, visual and atmosphere made this game a unique experience. I do wish there was a bit more variety in the levels, as I felt Area 5 was the one with the big difference in the visuals from the rest.

And there is Area X... which was truly amazing experience. Unlike the original levels which does feels to have visuals that are dated and VR as after thought, Area X feels like the current gen version of the game. All those particles are an eye candy. It's really hard to explain... you just have to experience it yourself.

I really hope they can expand on Area X and make a proper sequel of the game.

8bit

Knows the Score
The gameplay is almost exactly the same, with two major differences: score bonus for on-beat shots, and a secondary weapon for shooting down missiles/attacking certain enemies. The motion controls aren't necessary to enjoy the game at all.

Also, the music is shit.

amanset

I'd kinda dig a Child of Eden re-release on PS4. Been meaning to give that game another shot.

I should too. Despite loving Rez (Infinite is the third time I've bought it) I just couldn't get into Children of Eden. I'm not sure what it was, it just didn't connect.

Anyway, it has been a while since I played (the PS2 and 360 are packed away these days) I still did 1-5 first time. Still got it.

topplehat

Well I finished it and Area X (no VR for me). Still amazing, Area X especially so, really hope that is the basis for a true "Rez 2"

Ibuki

Banned
Looks like the iam8bit codes for the Theme/Avatar bundle won't be activated until the store updates this week?

I don't have any proof but I can't seem them being activated any sooner.

RuhRo

Literally dropped my jaw from beginning to end of Area X in VR. What a powerful experience. Worth the entire price of admission to the PSVR experience for that one, tantalizing level.

I was honestly relieved to find Mizuguchi is still capable of this kind of virtuoso design. Child of Eden was such a musical and aesthetic misfire - like the cheesiest parts of jpop culture threw up on a Move controller. But Area X is as hard hitting and edgy as the original Rez, and then some.

vsMIC

just played the first 3 levels again after some years (dc/x360)...

still my top5 game of all time (even wo vr). fascinating how this game hold up so well. aged beautifully.

will try area x later, big hopes!

Nags

Banned
Literally dropped my jaw from beginning to end of Area X in VR. What a powerful experience. Worth the entire price of admission to the PSVR experience for that one, tantalizing level.

I was honestly relieved to find Mizuguchi is still capable of this kind of virtuoso design. Child of Eden was such a musical and aesthetic misfire - like the cheesiest parts of jpop culture threw up on a Move controller. But Area X is as hard hitting and edgy as the original Rez, and then some.

I'm about to play that area for the first time (in VR). Have only been reading amazing things about it. Rez has completely justified my entire PSVR purchase. It really is some transcending game and experience.

So I played the game for the first time in vr with a move controller. It was cool but the game did seem a little easy as on my first run I got between 100 and 95% on each state. Is the game better experienced with a controller?

Ferr986

to be fair Area 1 of CoE was Rez as fuck... atleast until the girl starts popping out of nowhere mid boss.

I think Lumi in Child of Eden is supposed to be a AI that has evolved inside the world of Rez.

Actually Lumi is supposed to be an AI based on a real human that lived all her life outside of Earth. They use her memories to create an AI and then a virus traps her.

Why does every Rez thread have to involve shitting on Child Of Eden too? Both games are amazing and Area X shows that the look of both games blend together nicely. I'm honestly really hoping that Child Of Eden gets the same treatment as Rez Infinite down the line. Some of those bosses, like the space whale turning into a phoenix would be godly in VR.

Ferr986

Why does every Rez thread have to involve shitting on Child Of Eden too? Both games are amazing and Area X shows that the look of both games blend together nicely. I'm honestly really hoping that Child Of Eden gets the same treatment as Rez Infinite down the line. Some of those bosses, like the space whale turning into a phoenix would be godly in VR.

I liked CoE. Not as much as Rez but it's a good game too, and timing shoots with the beat was nice.

Lumi's face appearing during bosses doing shit was corny as fuck though.

Area X seems to take best of both games IMO, both aesthetics and music-wise.

I liked CoE. Not as much as Rez but it's a good game too, and timing shoots with the beat was nice.

Lumi's face appearing during bosses doing shit was corny as fuck though.

I think the only time Lumi's face appeared in bosses battles was toward the end of them when you were attacking a boss's core to 'free' her.

I really love Child Of Eden. It's one of the most colorful Xbox 360 games I have ever played. I love how it manages to be just as or even more trippy than Rez. The music is great and there are so many jaw dropping moments. I was pretty put off of it at first when I realized that the game wasn't going to be like Rez as much as they had been implying it was, but I soon grew to love it as it's own game and for the few ties it does have to Rez. It really is a shame that people go into it expecting Rez 2 when it's not and then they don't see the game for it's own merit because it isn't close enough to Rez.

jrcbandit

So I played the game for the first time in vr with a move controller. It was cool but the game did seem a little easy as on my first run I got between 100 and 95% on each state. Is the game better experienced with a controller?
I missed the 95% on two levels by like 0.05% ;p. The game is actually better experienced with head tracking for lock on. The Move has noticeable lag. This will make things easier for you though lol.

Also, the game is super easy aside from the bosses so don't expect much challenge outside that area. Of course you can play the variant modes, try for higher scores. I believe the play all 5 levels in one sitting mode is also more difficult. And you still need to play the X level.

SirChop

Neo Member
I liked Child of Eden for the music and the atmosphere, and Area X definitely mixes the two in a fantastic way. I'd be happy to play a Child of Eden sequel if it means more Genki Rockets, though the music for Area X seems to be a new artist from what I gathered from the physical copy thread.

So what triggers the alt boss in Area X?

If I'm correct, it's
shooting the blue mech and destroying it
because
the blue mech never really seems to shoot you, but shoots the orange mech. If you're shooting the blue mech, you're doing friendly fire.

robotrock

Banned
I liked Child of Eden for the music and the atmosphere, and Area X definitely mixes the two in a fantastic way. I'd be happy to play a Child of Eden sequel if it means more Genki Rockets, though the music for Area X seems to be a new artist from what I gathered from the physical copy thread.

If I'm correct, it's
shooting the blue mech and destroying it
because
the blue mech never really seems to shoot you, but shoots the orange mech. If you're shooting the blue mech, you're doing friendly fire.

Do I still shoot the orange mech along with the blue mech? or just the blue mech

SirChop

Neo Member
Do I still shoot the orange mech along with the blue mech? or just the blue mech

The area changes once any of the mechs die. Make sure you're shooting all the bullets from the orange mech so you don't take damage, but target the blue mech specifically. You can fly around to make the targeting easier if you need to. You'll know you did it right if the music for the final area is different (no vocals).

Top Bottom