• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rhythm Heaven The Best + (3DS) - June 11th

Okay, doesn't seem like Famitsu has as much new info as I thought it might. As far as the story stuff goes, it shows a few new characters (who are very GBA-era Takeuchi in style imo), but I have no idea how they'll factor into the game... or even how the story mode works, lol. It just says you clear games to continue, and that there are these gatekeeper guys too, but I couldn't gather any more from it than I could from the Nintendo Direct trailer.

Interestingly, it seems that in addition to the menus with popup-style art for selecting games we saw in the Direct, there's a menu more akin to the old Rhythm Heaven games for the remixes. These seem to be self contained, single columns that can be accessed from the larger story mode menu, as the button prompt to exit says "Press B to go outside". I'm not going to try to translate the pun in the name, but the column is labeled as "Forest Remix". The icons show some games that are probably new and some that might be certain returning games but they're too unclear for me to try to make a guess.

Then it talks about the "Challenge Train", which is the download play multiplayer mode. You choose a Challenge Course based on a theme, like "animals" or "sports", and then work together to clear the series of games in that course.

Lastly, it shows some of the new games, some of which we already knew about, some of which we didn't. There's one called "Stairs Catch" where you seem to be tossing a pineapple between two guys climbing stairs by pressing A for one and the D-Pad for the other, "Fruit Basketball" where you play as... a wave in a pool of water, I guess, and try to score baskets with fruit somehow, "Interpreter" which is the one with the alien we saw at the reveal, "Chameleon" which might be similar to the chameleon portion of Fever's Endless Remix, one with a pun name I won't even attempt where you play as a cat giving a (goat? wolf?) woodcutter logs to chop, and "The Legend of Samurai Slice" which takes our beloved Wandering Samurai into a retro-style game.

GWX

So, the most recent edition of Famitsu has a spread on this game with a bunch of new details. I don't really have time to do any translation, and I'm sure that someone who can do a much better job than I will have one ready soon, but at first glance, some of the returning games we didn't already know about that are featured include Fillbots, Figure Fighter, Airboarder, Exhibition Match, Shoot em Up, Rabbit Jump, Sneaky Spirits, Rhythm Rally, Power Calligraphy, and Dog Ninja. Also, it seems that all scoring in the game will be more transparent, similar to Fever's 2-player mode, with a specific score being given and each rank having a score threshold you have to meet.

I'll work on the rest of the details later today if nobody else does, I guess.

I welcome this change. The scoring system has always been the biggest issue of the franchise, since you don't know for sure what criteria are the scores based on. Now I'm even sadder we haven't heard about localisation so far =(

Also, thanks for the info!

antun

z7ftYZk.jpg

Ga9Vt6E.jpg

N8FiRs7.jpg

Hey, I thought this was news cause I havn´t seen some of the games presented here. It says 30 games are newly made and you can play 4 player multiplayer!

I´m looking forward to this game soooo much!

Boney

Banned
I don't think we're allowed to post scans, even if it's famitsu. Only if therema a digital official version.

Cool stuff though!

magnetic

It's upsetting me that I can't have this right now. I'm pretty sure it's going to get a western release, but the uncertainty is still making me nervous!

So, the most recent edition of Famitsu has a spread on this game with a bunch of new details. I don't really have time to do any translation, and I'm sure that someone who can do a much better job than I will have one ready soon, but at first glance, some of the returning games we didn't already know about that are featured include Fillbots, Figure Fighter, Airboarder, Exhibition Match, Shoot em Up, Rabbit Jump, Sneaky Spirits, Rhythm Rally, Power Calligraphy, and Dog Ninja. Also, it seems that all scoring in the game will be more transparent, similar to Fever's 2-player mode, with a specific score being given and each rank having a score threshold you have to meet.

I'll work on the rest of the details later today if nobody else does, I guess.
Airboarder means That's Paradise is in yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

antun

I took the photos myself, and they are from a leaflet I got at my local video game store, is that against the rules?

antun

Now there is also a story mode it says. You are helping a little guy called Tebiri to get home by playing the rhythm games.

And the multiplayer supports download play so you only need one copy of the game.

The new games I found are called:

Dance Hall

通訳者 - Translator

Makineko - Firewood Cat

Chameleon

Fruit basket

Gottsan Kyoudai - Feasting Sumos (?) I guess Gottsan is gochisousama deshta in Sumo speak...

rpmurphy

On the one hand the return of Ping Pong, but on the other hand, the return of Air Batter.

Looking forward more and more to this.

I see Karate Man. AWESOME.

I want this game though, seriously. Was the last one such a disaster that Nintendo won't even bother to announce it for release over here?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
UGH, PING PONG IS BA....*remembers button controls*.....maybe it'll be a bit more fun this time around. Some of the "flick" games were kind of annoying with their timing.

....I just hope Ghost Guitar & Love Rap don't return. Those were the only two which I could never get the rhythm of.

Wonder how long until Nintendo (hopefully) confirms an US version. Kind of sucked how long we had to wait for Fever compared to Japan.

I expect confirmation of a localization at E3, similar to Fever. I'd be very surprised if it wasn't present there.

I also expect the turnaround to be a lot faster than Fever's. The time between the localization announcement/Japanese release and localized release was unusually long.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Sure hope so, considering E3 is almost a week after this is out in Japan. But yeah, took 7 months for the US to get Fever, & a YEAR for EU to get it. Not sure why it took so long, considering there wasn't many songs that needed English lyrics.

Here's the Amazon JP preorder bonus pouch.

I mean I doubt that many people here will be able to get this but I figure maybe ya'll would want to see the nice art.

Oh, also looks like Micro-row art is on there, which we didn't know was in the game until now.

L Thammy

Here's the Amazon JP preorder bonus pouch.

I mean I doubt that many people here will be able to get this but I figure maybe ya'll would want to see the nice art.

Oh, also looks like Micro-row art is on there, which we didn't know was in the game until now.

Is that a condom eating an apple?

Neiteio

I need this to get announced for the US at E3. Need.

Preferably along with a Chorus Kids/Marshall DLC newcomer reveal for Smash.
Hey Ash, just wanted to say that you, Andre and Derrick all sounded constipated, constantly grunting on the 200cc race posted today.

You know I say this lovingly. <3

z7ftYZk.jpg

Ga9Vt6E.jpg

N8FiRs7.jpg

Hey, I thought this was news cause I havn´t seen some of the games presented here. It says 30 games are newly made and you can play 4 player multiplayer!

I´m looking forward to this game soooo much!

OH HEY I see Hole In One and Air Rally!

This better come to America..

HiroTSK5

Here's hoping we'll get the localization announcement during E3.

Ooh! New video!

Wait...hasn't every other game gotten a release here for Rhythm Heaven? I can't see them skipping out on the rest of us.

The Original Game Boy Advance game never came out here, however some of the games were included with Rhythm Heaven Fever.

J@hranimo

Banned
Ooh! New video!

Wait...hasn't every other game gotten a release here for Rhythm Heaven? I can't see them skipping out on the rest of us.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
GBA wasn't ported overseas, I think it's because it came out at the end of GBA's lifespan?

Madao

GBA wasn't ported overseas, I think it's because it came out at the end of GBA's lifespan?

possible. same thing happened with Mother 3 and F-Zero Climax. they'd have released way too late onto the DS gen. RH and M3 were 2006 games and just think of a GBA game releasing in 2006...

late-gen games are some of the most likely games to not be localized by Nintendo given how things have turned out in recent gens.

drgambit

Banned
Haven't the previous localisations been great? The DS title is an alltime favourite for me.

The NA localization for the Wii version had games replaced and remixes slowed down for other audiences/lyric translation... better to just get the true japan version and be done with it.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
The NA localization for the Wii version had games replaced and remixes slowed down for other audiences/lyric translation... better to just get the true japan version and be done with it.

wut

I compared the two versions in yt and they're practically the same
the only missing game is Manzai Birds

The songs in the localized version of the DS Rhythm Tengoku were pretty bad, but I think that was a bit of a fluke. Every other WarioWare and Rhythm Tengoku game had awesome translated songs that were in many cases better than the original.
See: Jimmy's Aerobics Japanese vs. English, or Mona Pizza Japanese vs. English.

However, the English Rhythm Tengoku on DS had songs which just plain stank compared to the original Japanese ones. Fan Club is my go to example: Japanese vs. English. Every other song except for Frog Hop were also not nearly as good in English.

Fortunately, the Wii game managed to return to having good translated songs. I mean, I still think that, overall, the Japanese version of the Wii game has better music, but only by a little bit. I still actually listen to both language versions of my favorite songs from that game.

Having played both versions a lot, I can't say I can easily believe that.

The biggest change was the Manzai endless game replaced by the (IMO much more fun) Mr. Upbeat from the GBA game.

Other non-translation changes include the Karate Joe songs having a lower pitch, but I actually like that change. It differentiates the Japanese one from the Western one.

There was also at least one small gameplay change in the minigames. Remix 9 changed the timings in the button presses a bit:
Japanese version (go 40 seconds in)
English version (go 40 seconds in)

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I doubt the games are slowed down seeing as the PAL version has both soundtracks and that would just lead to gameplay problems if one set of songs was out of sync with the gameplay.

Top Bottom