• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rhythm Heaven The Best + (3DS) - June 11th

Does Nintendo usually leave its game websites in such a sorry state close to launch? http://www.nintendo.co.jp/3ds/bpjj/

I love Rhythm Tengoku, but I wonder how much of a big release this is compared with the previous three. Today's trailer looked great, though, but I'm finding it hard to get excited for it, and this is one of my favourite rhythm series.

Rhythm Heaven games are cheap to make, if I recall correctly. The real cost would come with getting someone to dub the vocals for certain songs. And since 70 of the 100 minigames are from past Rhythm Heaven games, that's a good chunk of the game already localized (the minigames carried over from the DS & Wii games). I wouldn't worry about NoA localizing it, it's a matter of when (probably next year).

My fingers are crossed for November or December.

How is Rhythm Heaven on the DS? I love Rhythm games, but I picked up the game the other day for 5$ at Gamestop, and the first Rhythm game had me scared thinking I'm gonna scratch my DS with how fast I need to flick. Couldn't beat it since the flicking seemed really off for me and would only go sometimes. Is the whole game like this, or do they have other minigames where I don't need to flick? Or do I just suck?

There's quite a few games which rely on fast, tactile stylus motions. The controls work well, though I'd say the DS game is the weakest of the three, mainly because it's the only one where you can't realistically play with your eyes shut.

It's still great though, and honestly, at $5 it's well worth it. But if you had to start somewhere I'd recommend the Wii game, or the GBA original.

The text box above the bar has feedback just like past titles. Roughly translated I take it to mean "Quick thinking is required! But, you were strong under pressure!" Most likely the bar just shows the scoring that was previously done behind the scenes so you can see just how close to a Superb you were.

Oh, great to know I was wrong about the notes / feedback being gone, but am I the only one who liked being more harshly judged on some parts than others? I kind of figured it felt a bit natural to not be able to pass if you missed key moments (though there may have been a BS moment or two thrown in there). Well, I guess I'll approach thie new system with an open mind, then, haha.

Well anyway, my Cubic Ninja is ready!

There's quite a few games which rely on fast, tactile stylus motions. The controls work well, though I'd say the DS game is the weakest of the three, mainly because it's the only one where you can't realistically play with your eyes shut.

Really? I never realized this. That's a bit of a shame.

I have a pair of wireless headphones, so one day when I was playing Rhythm Heaven Fever I had the "brilliant" idea of going to another room with the Wii remote and my headphones. It was more fun than I thought to try and play with only audio cues...

And as you said, that doesn't really make the 3DS game any less great, of course.

Yes Boss!

Does Nintendo usually leave its game websites in such a sorry state close to launch? http://www.nintendo.co.jp/3ds/bpjj/

I love Rhythm Tengoku, but I wonder how much of a big release this is compared with the previous three. Today's trailer looked great, though, but I'm finding it hard to get excited for it, and this is one of my favourite rhythm series.

I'd question that last statement. Big fan of the series and not excited?!? Makes no sense. Sounds more like a modest fan. No offense.

Btw, it is a catalog release. Not big at all. And it is two-thirds old games. Like a "best of" and then some. I mean, look at the Plus in the title.

The controls work well, though I'd say the DS game is the weakest of the three, mainly because it's the only one where you can't realistically play with your eyes shut.

Hm? Every game in the series has some games that require visual cues if you don't have it memorized (Tram & Poline, Crop Stomp, Screwbots, to name one from each). What do you mean?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I remember getting really good at some of the DS games to the point I could look away. Same for the Wii version. It's a strange satisfaction knowing you can beat it without looking at the screen.

I'd question that last statement. Big fan of the series and not excited?!? Makes no sense. Sounds more like a modest fan. No offense.

Question all you want, I have all three games since their respective launches, and I have 48 perfect medals in the Wii release. Rhythm Tengoku has been a ray of light in what turned out to be a disappointing period of decline for home console rhythm game releases.

Btw, it is a catalog release. Not big at all. And it is two-thirds old games. Like a "best of" and then some. I mean, look at the Plus in the title.

Yes, that's why I am hesitant, and, as a result, less excited. I'm hesitant over this series entry because I love the series and care about it. Being a fan doesn't mean I need to hype over everything that's released. I think it's natural that I wouldn't be so excited about a compilation of three rhythm games that I've played to death, as amazing as they are. Especially when the DS minigames have been translated in a less-than-ideal fashion in my eyes, and the primary differentiator seems to be multiplayer (that being said, WarioWare on the GC was, and still is, amazing)

Hm? Every game in the series has some games that require visual cues if you don't have it memorized (Tram & Poline, Crop Stomp, Screwbots, to name one from each). What do you mean?

I was more talking about the controls -- I find them a lot harder to pull off with your eyes shut, or your head turned away etc. On the Wii game I found myself perfecting levels whilst standing at another corner of the room, back turned to the TV, arm waving the Wii Remote in time to the beat like a maniac!

You can play Screwbots with only audio cues. The key is listening to the sound when they are placed on the conveyor belt. Larger ones have a lower pitched sound. Though I admit it took me a little bit of time to figure out, but I think that was part of the fun of playing without looking at the screen.

(video for reference)

You can play Screwbots with only audio cues. The key is listening to the sound when they are placed on the conveyor belt. Larger ones have a lower pitched sound. Though I admit it took me a little bit of time to figure out, but I think that was part of the fun of playing without looking at the screen.

(video for reference)

Huh, wouldn't have figured that out. Neat!

Not any more! A bunch of new footage and games within, too.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Upon hearing them clearly

1) It seems like they're reusing old sound effects in new games. Like the Wii wrestler sounds for the 3DS log cutter minigame or the Wii tap dancing troupe's audio cues for the 3DS dancers at the end of the video. I hope they won't be too lazy in the sound department, as one of the interesting things about the series in the first place is its very interesting and unique audio.

You're wrong in this regard. The only thing they reuse are the generic SFX they had since the first game.

Yes:
http://smealum.net/regionfour/
However, you will need a copy of Cubic Ninja at which point you could be halfway towards being able to afford a Japanese 3DS anyway (some recent developments have sent that games price up yet again)
If you shop on Amazon US:

new Cubic Ninja: Roughly $50
new Japanese *original* 3DS: $95 to $100, typically with prime and available in several colors.

...Wow, you're spot-on it seems.

Last week I got a Japanese original 3DS myself due to the price and I'm glad I put in the money, even though I already have Cubic Ninja, because being able to boot up games the normal way is sooooooo nice. There's also the digital option, which is awesome and can save money at times. And of course I can update games and get DLC and all that fun jazz. Yeah, the screen's small compared to my XL but I got used to it pretty quickly.

...But most importantly I got badges, bitches.

But of course some people would rather just use an exploit and that's fine, I used to use Region Three myself before going "Fuck this shit" and buying an actual japanese 3DS.

Is this referring specifically to North America? Because it also mentions that Xenoblade Chronicles is for the "New Nintendo 3DS/New Nintendo 3DS XL" and we only have one of those. If it's just a translation of the Japanese report then that means nothing.

i would be extremely surprised if rhythm heaven doesn't show up in the upcoming 3DS games montage during the digital event. there are, like, 4 unlocalized nintendo published retail 3DS games in total (two of which are style savvy) and the rhythm heaven series has a history of being localized aside from the first game having been caught in the mess of being a 2006 GBA game. the announcement and release schedule has been pretty similar to fever thus far, and i expect it to continue to do so in the timing of its localization announcement.

i really don't think there's any reason for concern or needing to grab onto rather tenuous evidence for the time being (but i must admit that my perspective may be different considering the fact that i have an import system and that while the question of whether or not it will be localized does concern me, my chance of playing the game isn't riding on it).

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Also most of the minigames have been localized so it should be easy.

With that said, I hope they re-do a lot of the DS vocals, like Fangirl.

Game is available for pre-load on Japanese systems. 5076 yen, and it takes up 3240 blocks.

Also, hey, a bunch of games we didn't know were returning:

QiEAuo1.jpg

Let's see if we get a new dub of Fan Club, lol
also fuck yeah space dance

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Aw yeah, the Flock Step with the birds.

THE MONK WITH THE...EGG ROLLS OR WHATEVER. & he has a kid now!

Hmm, the Pop Idol songs are back. Please, Nintendo, dub a better version with more emotion.

Monkey Watch. Hahaha, that was one I heard a ton of people had issues with.

Impotaku

Already preloaded! Now the next 12 days are gonna be a long wait!

Stoked to see Cat & Mouse in there! Whoo!

F7E16B6A-8A28-4056-9AD0-95F12A2824F9_zpszzkitiwn.jpg

Wonder what would happen if you set your date 11 days forward? Do you need to download an activation key from the eshop on release day or something?

Yes Boss!

I guess the release day is only 10 days away...assuming it goes up at midnight Japan time. It is the first here as well (I'm the same timezone as Japan).

And I'm trying to figure out that amazon.co.jp preorder bonus...is thatbjust a soft-case pouch something?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Haha, I think it was me that said "Lumbercat". Would be funny if that's what turned out to the official name if it comes to the US.

Interesting that the bottom screen seems to now react to how well you're doing. Makes me hopeful stuff like the Ping Pong one that'd use the "flick" motion will just be a button press or something now.

That sumo one sounds catchy from what I hear. Though I think it might be for the best if I stay away from videos & such so I can relisten to the music via the game itself & not YouTube.

Edit: OMG THE PAJAMAS ONE IS ADORABLE.

If anyone's willing to translate, I can edit in English text for the comic.

Here you go. I only played the DS game so I'm not sure what the sound effects for the birds are like or what to make of the reaction to the strongman. It *might* be his name in Japanese?
1. Class reunion day
3. ringing sound?
4. Oh! Long time no see!
5. You look just the same as ever...
6. How nostalgic... / We've missed you... (both are valid translations, not sure which is more appropriate for those characters)
7. Woah!
8. Wow, you all made it!
9. I... suppose, hey!
10. Wubbadubbadubba 'zat true?
11. Bee-byako byako bya bya (again, not sure. I guess it’s an imitation of the bird’s sounds)
12. Uhhh...
13. Who… Who are you again?
16. Who was that?

Edit: OMG THE PAJAMAS ONE IS ADORABLE.

Yeah, major Love Lab vibes from the music. Really liking that one.

And thanks for thinking of a much more clever name for the lumberjack game, lol.

Here you go.

9, 10, and 11 are all quotes directly from the game. So they'd be "I suppose, hey!", "Wubbadubbadubba 'zat true?" and ... uhhh... whatever the sound is in Flockstep, lol. 11 is good as is.

Yeah, major Love Lab vibes from the music. Really liking that one.

And thanks for thinking of a much more clever name for the lumberjack game, lol.

9, 10, and 11 are all quotes directly from the game. So they'd be "I suppose, hey!", "Wubbadubbadubba 'zat true?" and ... uhhh... whatever the sound is in Flockstep, lol. 11 is good as is.

Perfect, thanks!

daydream

Banned
just a heads-up (i posted this in the ot ot) but the guy/gal who claimed the jp ot is banned so it might be up for grabs

also, i'm not looking at any video footage, wanna go in fresh!

Okay, cynical me has gone, I'm REALLY excited about this now, especially after watching the new commercials and seeing which minigames have made it in. Roll on next week!

Top Bottom