• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Riccitiello email leaked to WSJ . . . Madden sales down . . . full message herein

Didn't Madden have a special anniversary issue last year? Perhaps that contributed to the YoY decline? This year got pretty good reviews from what I saw.

His message in full:
--------------------------------------
As we head into the fall of 2009 and prepare for the all-important holiday quarter, I wanted to send a note to get everyone up to date on our progress.

We had a strong first quarter for FY10 headlined by great product quality and strong marketing. Our two biggest titles in the quarter, The Sims 3 and EA SPORTS Active, broke through and beat our own high expectations. And, just as important, our total direct-to-consumer businesses were up 38% in our first quarter.

We’re still in the middle of our second quarter, with a few of our biggest launches – Need For Speed SHIFT and FIFA 10 – still coming later this month. Today, we launched The Beatles: Rock Band. These games are all outstanding and will delight millions of consumers this year.

Last month at the Games Convention in Germany, EA put on a dazzling display of industry leadership. BioWare’s Star Wars: The Old Republic won the top honors at the convention from Eurogamer. We launched Madden NFL 10, which critics and fans alike reviewed as the best Madden on this generation of consoles. In my judgment, we supported this game with one of the strongest marketing campaigns of the year. Both the game quality and marketing reflect outstanding teamwork and deep commitment to excellence.

This week, market research for August will show that year over year, the industry was down in North America – and that August sales of Madden NFL 10 are down with that trend. It is discouraging that one of our highest-rated and best-marketed Madden titles in years is facing strong headwinds.

Despite the challenging environment in North America, there are a few important and positive signs in our sector. In recent weeks, both Sony and Microsoft announced significant price cuts for the Playstation 3 (the new slim) and Xbox 360. Our early read on the market is that consumers are responding and console sales are up significantly, particularly for the Sony platform where EA has historically performed well. This is encouraging, as greater hardware sales have historically translated to stronger software sales. We’re hopeful that the Madden sales trend will strengthen as more consumers go to retail to pick up their lower-priced consoles.

Also, our EAi businesses, comprised of Pogo, the new EA Social group and EA Mobile, are performing well. The Pogo Puppies social game goes live next week. On mobile, a recent analysis of the Apple App Store games show that EA is number one with the highest number of titles in the top 100 – and with the highest average price point.

What underpins most everything is the dramatic improvement in our product quality. Back in 2006, we set quality as a top priority and we have increased our average every year since then. Already this year, EA has produced 11 titles with an 80+ Metacritic average:
- Madden NFL 10
- Fight Night Round 4
- EA SPORTS Active
- Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 10
- NCAA Football 10
- BOOM BLOX Bash Party
- The Sims 3
- Battlefield 1943
- Skate 2
- Henry Hatsworth in the Puzzling Adventure
- The Beatles: Rock Band

I am confident that we will exceed the record we set last year of shipping 14 titles rated 80 or better. We will know in the weeks ahead when critics rate our big releases such as NHL 10, FIFA 10, Need for Speed SHIFT, Dead Space Extraction, and from EAP, Brutal Legend and Left 4 Dead 2.

We are now five months into the fiscal year and the most important period of the year is still in front of us. Trend lines for the industry present a challenge, but our strategy and execution give me confidence. From here, our focus is on four priorities: great product launches, succeeding on the Nintendo Wii, continued expansion of our direct-to-consumer business, and cost control.

In any economy, this is the path to success.

Let me finish by thanking all of you for your hard work and, most of all, for your success in creating and delivering the very best games consumers can play.

John

http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2009/09/10/ea-ceos-videogame-outlook/?mod=yahoo_hs

FrankT

As I said in the NPD estimate thread I knew Madden would be down.

I believe for the entire industry it's going to be a tough holiday season.

<3 ea this gen. after army of two, burnout paradise, rock band, 2 boom blox games, SSX Blur (that's right I said it), battlefield(s), and some great sports titles, I hope they do as well as they deserve.

and also make an HD SSX. Will give sexual favors!

kenta

Has no PEINS
Not a very interesting e-mail to have leaked, honestly. And I second the "Riccitiello is the man" notion, EA's turnaround has been a pleasure to watch

Tiktaalik

Seems like things are going pretty well at EA. I think they'll be back in the black either next quarter or the quarter after that.

EmCeeGramr said:
It's a platformer with puzzle elements, not anything like Layton.
It's an awesome DS game, a hybrid of Planet Puzzle League & 2D action platformers. Seriously, it's awesome.
Ah. I just saw a puzzler with an old guy having a hat . . . that made it seem similar to someone who has played neither.

I can't speak for the quality of Madden as a UK dude but EA have really impressed me recently so I hope they're rewarded in the long run.

P.S. Ubisoft is not the old EA, they have a much more organic gamer focused development style in my opinion and seem like they try to learn from they're mistakes unlike Activision whihc is the real heir to the throne of the old EA. In fact they'll turning out to be worse in my opinion.

bill0527

I'm one of those that didn't buy Madden this year after having bought it every year for like the past 7 years.

I just couldn't be bothered. It really is just the same ole' same ole'. I bought '09 last year and maybe spent a week playing it, never to touch it again. I've not bothered with Madden online for a couple of years either. All my online Madden games boil down to one of these scenarios:

1. I get a cheater/glitcher/exploiter as my opponent.
2. I get WTFPWNED by the end of the first quarter from some Madden Pro who claims to be a newbie, and I spend the next 30 minutes of the game watching my opponent run up the score.
3. I ROFLSTOMP my opponent by the end of the first quarter and he quits.

None of these scanarios are particularly fun and happen way to often. Once I started raging about all of these predictable outcomes, I quit playing Madden online and not really interested in trying it again.

I got Madden and it's a good product this year, but there is no question its stale. There hasn't been any buzz around it for at least a couple of years. Not sure what they can do, but they need to reignite the fanbase somehow.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
When the thread title said "leak" I assumed it was something bad. But after reading the memo I'm pretty sure this is more of a "purposeful leak" than anything.

And yes EA is pretty badass this generation. They'll easily beat their metacritic goal

Kibbles

Surprising. People are figuring out $60 is not worth it for an updated football game every year. Bring back cheap football games, bring back competition!

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
Tiktaalik said:
Does "direct-to-consumer businesses" mean digital download not through retail? If not what else does that mean?
Yes, think so too.

Also, he seems like a pretty nice guy. I'd like to work at EA. /*futile dreams of a college student*

Tiktaalik said:
Does "direct-to-consumer businesses" mean digital download not through retail? If not what else does that mean?
It probably includes sales made directly from their own website. I'm not surprised to see that up as I've been getting more promotional email from EA this year than previous years. And they've even offered discounts on the site such as $10 off. I didn't think they could do that since I assume they have MFN clauses with all the retailers to prevent under-cutting them.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
I think the most interesting parts of this e-mail are he's still stressing that EA wants to find success on the Wii, and he's reiterating how important Metacritic is to them.

McBacon said:
Yeah, about that 80+ on Dead Space Extraction....

Yeah, we're still waiting for ANY lightgun game on the Wii to break 80 on Metacritic. Reviewers are stupid-harsh on them.

Y2Kev said:
I hope they make some money this quarter :)
me too, i'm preparing the threads for ea sales in each region and city and gifs and terrible ms paints photoshops about the return of the king yeah baby yeaaah

StuBurns

Banned
I love all the stuff about consumers liking their products though. Riccitiello seems to be a really cool guy who's dedicated to getting really high quality products out. It certainly shows up a couple of other major third party publishers.

Walshicus

xS1TH L0RDx said:
<3 ea this gen. after army of two, burnout paradise, rock band, 2 boom blox games, SSX Blur (that's right I said it), battlefield(s), and some great sports titles, I hope they do as well as they deserve.

and also make an HD SSX. Will give sexual favors!
Did you just include Army of Two in a list of things that aren't shit?

McBacon said:
Yeah, about that 80+ on Dead Space Extraction....

It could well deserve it and probably won't get it.

From what I played at E3 I'd predict it's a 80-85 kind of game.

But with the "core" reviewer set, I'd imagine it gets a 72 on metacritic.

I'm not that surprised Madden is down. In some fans eyes, the series has been declining for the past few years in the absence of a competitor. I know a friend of mine, who's a huge football fan, eschewed this year's Madden after being disappointed with '09. And he's purchased every Madden since the SNES days.

LJ11

GitarooMan said:
I got Madden and it's a good product this year, but there is no question its stale. There hasn't been any buzz around it for at least a couple of years. Not sure what they can do, but they need to reignite the fanbase somehow.

I think the fanbase was reignited with online franchise. On the other hand, the fringe buyers who really aren't into online probably weren't.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Sir Fragula said:
Did you just include Army of Two in a list of things that aren't shit?

:lol

timetokill said:
It could well deserve it and probably won't get it.

From what I played at E3 I'd predict it's a 80-85 kind of game.

But with the "core" reviewer set, I'd imagine it gets a 72 on metacritic.

I'd say that'll be an accurate guess.

Mrbob

EA did screw up madden this gen. The first couple editions that came out were terrible. Lack of features, 30fps with slowdown!

Most of the features are back now and the game runs locked at 60fps. But it took EA 5 versions and nearly 4 years to get a proper edition of madden up and running. There will be some backlash from their early year screwups. Even this years version of Madden has some head scratching issues, but they are minimal to the experience. I still think Madden 2005 xbox has not yet been topped this generation even though I do like Madden 10. It is finally getting close. Maybe if they have fully dedicated proper leagues with workable stat tracking in Madden 11 they will have succeeded.

I haven't bought a football game ever since the 2k series went down and back then I use to buy both it and Madden every year. Without the competition and the need for each product to push each other to get better my interest completely dropped out of buying football games.

The same thing slowly happened to me with the WWE as a product once they had no competition.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Not sure if the OP read this or not but:

This week, market research for August will show that year over year, the industry was down in North America – and that August sales of Madden NFL 10 are down with that trend. It is discouraging that one of our highest-rated and best-marketed Madden titles in years is facing strong headwinds.

Translation: All sales are down and Madden got caught up in the trend. They already released a statement about this with NCAA. They spun it in such a way that sales were actually up because NCAA didn't dip as much as other yearly titles, but they were down this year as well. So this isn't really surprising. Not like they are losing money or anything.

With people being a bit more picky with their purchases this year, I could see how a yearly title gets overlooked for an entirely new game. I don't think you can read into a year over year decline as a direct result of game quality.

Johann

Hmmmm... I wonder where those Madden dollars are going? Hot dogs? Kittens?

EmCeeGramr said:
Fuck that shit, Pogo Puppies goes live next week!? Where's the official thread?

I know! What's the point of being king of the hill in the beta when no one else is playing?

Madden 10 is just riddled with visual glitches. It's a sloppy product, especially considering how 2009 was supposed to be the big graphical overhaul. Invisible exercise bikes, players vanishing in replays, textures popping in (Drew Brees's scar popped in while his face texture was materializing! :lol ), horrible animations, so on and so forth.

Still fun, just ridiculous looking.

And the less about the fumble minigame, the better.

MirageDwarf said:
EA need more luck than anything to hit jackpot like Activision did with MW.

It's not just MW. It's WoW. It's Diablo 3. It's StarCraft, etc. EA makes a lot of money. But they spend a shitload also. So the balance book isn't adding up yet.

MirageDwarf said:
EA need more luck than anything to hit jackpot like Activision did with MW.

They could have done it with Medal of Honor. A few years ago that series was a favourite of many, but went down quickly, leaving the space open for COD.

EA has some really great games to look forward to, and I hope they do well. Really loving the EA of this gen, hopefully they never go back to the old them.

Top Bottom