• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Richard Branson Reaches Space on VSS Unity

mxbison

Lmao guys, some of ya'll are losers for making noise on how "it's not really space, what's to celebrate about" while you type away your sentences.

The guy did something very very very very few of us have, and will even be close to, a personal journey to see our earth above the clouds as an individual who wanted to do so - and not just a man hired and trained by the government to go on a space mission.

Like what the fuck do you guys need to acknowledge the actual gravity of this news?

You, a fucking individual, can now have the dream to want to see our planet from a height thought impossible - a dream that has existed for centuries - and can earn the means to live that dream if you so choose to dedicate your life to accumulate the wealth it requires to do so.

Every single photo you've ever seen of Earth from space can now be seen in person, with your own goddamn eyes.

If that doesn't excite you, then please continue to breathing while others make way for the future you will undoubtedly will only complain and moan about anyway.

Yeah, its cool. But these news headlines like "mankind has come a step closer to conquering space" are just so ridiculous....

Yeah, its cool. But these news headlines like "mankind has come a step closer to conquering space" are just so ridiculous....
Dude. This is a step.

Holy shit, when man were constructing bird-like wings with wood that would be flapped about to imitate the power of flight many many years ago - that was what you call a first step.

Goddamn Pong, is considered a first step into gaming.

This is considered a part of the step for humans going into space.

Last edited:

Blade2.0

Congrats to Branson. I see it as a step forward for space travel.

By the way our progress in space travel is dogshit. We need to do better.

It's a matter of massive success and opportunity versus dying in our cradle as a species. Two only important missions for humanity:

Restore our eco system
Branch out beyond earth

Nothing. Nothing is more important.
If we actually thought it was important, we wouldn't leave it up to billionaires to do it. We'd pool our resources like we did in the 50s and 60s and actually accomplish something more than a glorified rollercoaster.

Blade2.0

Dude. This is a step.

Holy shit, when man were constructing bird-like wings with wood that would be flapped about to imitate the power of flight many many years ago - that was what you call a first step.

How is it a step when we were doing better in 69? The shuttle went further and actually reached escape velocity. The Saturn put us on the fucking moon. All this is and the others is playing catch up to technology we already had.

How is it a step when we were doing better in 69? The shuttle went further and actually reached escape velocity. The Saturn put us on the fucking moon. All this is and the others is playing catch up to technology we already had.
Lol please do a bit more thinking.

Come on man, you're referring to a space shuttle launch - funded by taxpayers and government controlled- compared to a private citizen who launched himself into the edge of our skies.

We talk about conquering other planets, and yet, we dont talk about the process of adjusting an entire society to the idea of going to space.

This is another step. Space consumerism.

Thats how we move upwards, by making the idea of space being possible not just for the wealthiest of governments, but even to private citizens or corporations.

mxbison

Dude. This is a step.

Yeah sure, it's something.

Just saying these headlines I saw about conquering space sound kinda dumb. Only 99.9999999 (more 9's) % to go :)

Blade2.0

Come on man, you're referring to a space shuttle launch - funded by taxpayers and government controlled- compared to a private citizen who launched himself into the edge of our skies.

We talk about conquering other planets, and yet, we dont talk about the process of adjusting an entire society to the idea of going to space.

Thats how we move upwards, by making the idea of space being possible not just for the wealthiest of governments, but even to private citizens or corporations.
He didn't launch himself, though. He had just as much help as the government funded NASA did.

So this basically proves that the ultra wealthy can do things that have already been done? Call me non-forward thinking in this regard... but it seems to me we are wasting lots of resources on space and that they could be better allocated.

Like... lets say we put a permanent facility on the moon... that would be incredible. But what would the point actually be, what would we actually accomplish there? Would it just be a little box of a hotel for people to stay in... one that requires an incredible investment to keep running?

Perhaps its just my place in time and... eh... space... that has me look at that stuff and see it's potential future value... but then also look around me at the world I live in and think, "it's a tremendous waste to send anything to space when my neighbors can't even manage to recycle".

Call me whatever you like... what we have now isn't what I want making first contact. The world we have now isn't one I want the universe to see.

Alebrije

Technically is not a step for space race , is just one mans dream become true..good for him since he bet on this decades ago.

CloudNull

Banned
So this basically proves that the ultra wealthy can do things that have already been done? Call me non-forward thinking in this regard... but it seems to me we are wasting lots of resources on space and that they could be better allocated.

Like... lets say we put a permanent facility on the moon... that would be incredible. But what would the point actually be, what would we actually accomplish there? Would it just be a little box of a hotel for people to stay in... one that requires an incredible investment to keep running?

Perhaps its just my place in time and... eh... space... that has me look at that stuff and see it's potential future value... but then also look around me at the world I live in and think, "it's a tremendous waste to send anything to space when my neighbors can't even manage to recycle".

Call me whatever you like... what we have now isn't what I want making first contact. The world we have now isn't one I want the universe to see.
People need to educate themselves on how technology developed for Space influences the real world.

A simple example. The grooves cut in highways to give better traction to prevent hydroplaning came from Space development. Or the LIDAR satellites floating around the world that give us all the data to prove Global Warming is real..... comes from Space.

As we learn to build sustainable bases on moons and planets we can use that tech to make the living on earth better. The government is not going to do it but greed will. The greed to sell Space to tourist will lead to breakthrough that benefit humanity.

Last edited:
People need to educate themselves on how technology developed for Space influences the real world.

A simple example. The grooves cut in highways to give better traction to prevent hydroplaning came from Space development. Or the LIDAR satellites floating around the world that give us all the data to prove Global Warming is real..... comes from Space.

As we learn to build sustainable bases on moons and planets we can use that tech to make the living on earth better. The government is not going to do it but greed will. The greed to sell Space to tourist will lead to breakthrough that benefit humanity.
Though the space race has produced many advancements, of that I am aware... I'm skeptical of the advances that this space tourism will bring. Whats there to be done from taking a shuttle to orbit and back down safely? Some time in zero gravity? Expend the resources so some rich people can watch some objects float about, watch themselves float about? I could be wrong. Maybe the efforts in this pursuit will bring us to the new age.

I personally see these ventures as the extremely ultra wealthy, seeing their inexhaustible wealth, decide they may as well sink some of those funds into this venture because why not? At this point another mansion or yacht would just be boring. After that one rich guy said he wanted to it's the trendy thing for us ultra wealthy to do. Even if it doesn't work out it's not like any of them will soon be in any bread lines. No, this thing isn't like the space race of the cold war.

I could be wrong.

This almost makes me forget about his endorsement of the sex trafficking cult NXIVM and of the NXIVM parties he held on his island.
Do you suppose the idea could be to create some kind of rich persons haven of perversions, outside of the sphere of any governmental body, in space?
:messenger_anguished:

Last edited:

truth777

Banned
Do you suppose the idea could be to create some kind of rich persons haven of perversions, outside of the sphere of any governmental body, in space?
:messenger_anguished:
They were basically already on their way with Ghislaine’s “TerraMar” project which was endorsed by numerous celebrities including Bette Midler via her Twitter. The idea was to create a stand-alone nation with its own rules. One of the main differences being lowering the age of consent.

Blade2.0

Lol, you give two examples of publicly funded space breakthroughs from our government then fucking say the government isn't going to do it. SMH.

Dev1lXYZ

According to the book ‘Riding Rockets’ by Astronaut Mike Mullane, anything above 50,000 ft is considered “space” and you are an Astronaut. That’s how NASA grades it. I share your opinion about this though……all of that money spent and the actual flight was a bit of a letdown. I expected it to get into orbit territory, but realistically speaking, I don’t think the engines on that thing could do it and aren’t meant for it. Reentry is too much of a liability as well. Also, you tend to vomit a whole lot in a weightless environment. That’s why it’s only 5-10 mins of true weightlessness. Because you want the ride to stop at that point. 😂 The man flew fighter jets in the Air Force before NASA and he puked hard in weightlessness. That’s how extreme it is.

If you have an interest in the Space Shuttle program, I highly recommend reading his book.

Last edited:

4EZCOOLDART

It was pretty much space. Close enough at least. Pretty spacey! Definitely no birds or anything there but not, like, flying between asteroids and stars and shit.

This is truly an amazing watermark for the planet.

Multiple American oligarchs have enough money to fund their own "space" programs. What an age to live in.

evolvaer

Banned

Why make space travel not just for the wealthiest of governments, but for the wealthiest .0001% of private citizens!

Don't you see guys? This is much better than collectively as a society coming together thru government and reaching space! Now we can have God Emperors Bezos, Musk, and VirginGuy ascend to the heavens rightfully so.

Last edited:

CloudNull

Banned
Lol, you give two examples of publicly funded space breakthroughs from our government then fucking say the government isn't going to do it. SMH.
Please show me how the government has lowered the cost of Space so that the entry is cheaper..... I'll wait.

Government funded Space programs cost too much and have too much red tape to deal with. They can still accomplish great things like the rovers and the helicopter on Mars but without the financial motivation it is hard to truly push the boundary. Many programs will be in the middle of development and get cut because a new administration comes in. Privatization of the Space race will bring massive Technological breakthroughs that could have profound effects on our day to day lives.

Shit Starlink alone could change the world seeing as 50% of the world still doesn't have access to the internet. Starlink only exists because of the success of SpaceX. It wont be profitable for years but they can offset the cost because the rest of the business is so profitable and they eventually expect massive returns on the project. The government would never do this.

I have no idea what Virgin Galactic will do if they create a successful business model but I am excited to see it.

Last edited:
Damn son.... so much negativity in this thread. Fantastic read outlining the criticism and benefits of the industry being built right now. I had no idea Bezos wanted to use BO to start space mining.... I wonder if this is why he stepped down as CEO at Amazon.

A lot of folks on here I took for libertarians/pro-capitalism/pro-science throwing shade... it's odd. Jealousy's a bitch.

Why make space travel not just for the wealthiest of governments, but for the wealthiest .0001% of private citizens!

Don't you see guys? This is much better than collectively as a society coming together thru government and reaching space! Now we can have God Emperors Bezos, Musk, and VirginGuy ascend to the heavens rightfully so.

Here We Go Eye Roll GIF

Tell me more about how Soviet Russia sent all those happy soviets to space free of charge

replace space with mass graves

Are you daft? Or are you just not well versed in history?

Name me one instance when new advanced technology came out for public purchase and was cheap?

I'll tell you: ZERO

Computers were fucking expensive when they first came out. Cellphones were fucking expensive when they came out. Telephones were fucking expensive when they came put. Cars were expensive when they came out. Flying on a airship, or an aeroplane, was fucking expensive when it first came out.

ALL OF ADVANCED MODERN TECHNOLOGY always come out expensive at the onset of its introduction.

This applies to modern medicine as well.

Initial prices are always to balance the books between production and development cost before gradually becoming more and more affordable.

But ya know what, screw it. Let me use a current and contemporary technology to showcase my point.

This thing here:

MzY0Nzg2OA.jpeg

This costs a bomb right now as we speak.

But when it was first began development, and they had a functioning product, the cost was way too high for either companies or co¹nsumers to purchase.

Over the years, production costs lowered as they learned to refine the process, and now we have SPOT - a consumer product after 10 years, if not more, of conceptualisation and development.

Another 10 years, and SPOT will likely be as expensive as a high end computer, and be far more accessible to more average Joe's.

This is literally how modern technology and the normalization of humanity to technology works.

Any one of you bitching and complaining are only revealing yourself to be historically inept and unable to process how we, as humans, became a modern society over the course of the past hundred years.

I guess this explains how knowledge is lost over centuries, people just never absorb knowledge even when it's on the tip of your fingers.

God help us all.

P.s. Apologies for the F-bombs. It just made my point sounded better by emphasising and using the F word on a continuous basis in my post.

Are you daft? Or are you just not well versed in history?

Name me one instance when new advanced technology came out for public purchase and was cheap?

I'll tell you: ZERO

Computers were fucking expensive when they first came out. Cellphones were fucking expensive when they came out. Telephones were fucking expensive when they came put. Cars were expensive when they came out. Flying on a airship, or an aeroplane, was fucking expensive when it first came out.

ALL OF ADVANCED MODERN TECHNOLOGY always come out expensive at the onset of its introduction.

This applies to modern medicine as well.

Initial prices are always to balance the books between production and development cost before gradually becoming more and more affordable.

But ya know what, screw it. Let me use a current and contemporary technology to showcase my point.

This thing here:

This costs a bomb right now as we speak.

But when it was first began development, and they had a functioning product, the cost was way too high for either companies or co¹nsumers to purchase.

Over the years, production costs lowered as they learned to refine the process, and now we have SPOT - a consumer product after 10 years, if not more, of conceptualisation and development.

Another 10 years, and SPOT will likely be as expensive as a high end computer, and be far more accessible to more average Joe's.

This is literally how modern technology and the normalization of humanity to technology works.

Any one of you bitching and complaining are only revealing yourself to be historically inept and unable to process how we, as humans, became a modern society over the course of the past hundred years.

I guess this explains how knowledge is lost over centuries, people just never absorb knowledge even when it's on the tip of your fingers.

God help us all.

P.s. Apologies for the F-bombs. It just made my point sounded better by emphasising and using the F word on a continuous basis in my post.

There is a few -
  • Prosthetics
  • Internet of Things (IoT or embeded web tech)
  • Velcro (used everywhere)
  • Space blankets (used in rescue and medical fields)
  • How about the mouse you're probably using right now
  • Memory foam
  • Clean water filtering
  • Baby formula
  • Your sneakers
  • Freeze drying
  • Hearing aids
  • CMOS sensors (digital/phone cameras)

There is a few -
  • Prosthetics
  • Internet of Things (IoT or embeded web tech)
  • Velcro (used everywhere)
  • Space blankets (used in rescue and medical fields)
  • How about the mouse you're probably using right now
  • Memory foam
  • Clean water filtering
  • Baby formula
  • Your sneakers
  • Freeze drying
  • Hearing aids
  • CMOS sensors (digital/phone cameras)
Pretty sure I specifically said Advanced Modern Technology.

Why the hell are you giving me this list?

It's a weird mish mash of totally not modern tech, and pretty up there tech.

Does this make my post invalidated, or does this just give you a hard-on for feeling like you just gave an appropriate response with a list that's out of context from what I said?

Cause unless you just didn't read my post properly, i just dont see why this is relevant (besides camera sensors, maybe).

Last edited:
Pretty sure I specifically said Advanced Modern Technology.

Why the hell are you giving me this list?

It's a weird mish mash of totally not modern tech, and pretty up there tech.

Does this make my post invalidated, or does this just give you a hard-on for feeling like you just gave an appropriate response with a list that's out of context from what I said?

Cause unless you just didn't read my post properly, i just dont see why this is relevant (besides camera sensors, maybe).

You asked for tech that was publicly affordable. Sure it's not a personal space rocket to travel to the moon for $5 but I'd call things like the camera sensors in our phones these days pretty affordable, advanced and widespread. I don't write off the mouse being invented and widespread as basic tech either, it changed everything in IT. You don't categorise a hearing aid as advanced and affordable? Clean water becoming accessible and cheap isn't and advancement?

I think you need to take a deep breath mate and look again with a fresh perspective.

How about something more juicy then...Elon and reusable rockets come from business and industries grown from a technology explosion, space race included. SpaceX would not be possible without that generations of industrialisation driving advancement and affordability. That overall progress isn't worth it for you? Why not think bigger then. Regardless of the cost now, or historically, how about the resources and knowledge to be gained from say future mining or colonising space. You don't think things like water or energy or materials/minerals etc are worth advancing for the long terms?

BTW you missed that other poster's sarcasm entirely.

Blade2.0

Please show me how the government has lowered the cost of Space so that the entry is cheaper..... I'll wait.

Government funded Space programs cost too much and have too much red tape to deal with. They can still accomplish great things like the rovers and the helicopter on Mars but without the financial motivation it is hard to truly push the boundary. Many programs will be in the middle of development and get cut because a new administration comes in. Privatization of the Space race will bring massive Technological breakthroughs that could have profound effects on our day to day lives.

Shit Starlink alone could change the world seeing as 50% of the world still doesn't have access to the internet. Starlink only exists because of the success of SpaceX. It wont be profitable for years but they can offset the cost because the rest of the business is so profitable and they eventually expect massive returns on the project. The government would never do this.

I have no idea what Virgin Galactic will do if they create a successful business model but I am excited to see it.
Please show me how the billionaires have lowered the cost of space entry.

Edit: also, starlink is a bunch of bullshit bro.

Last edited:
The livestream was the worst thing I have ever witnessed. Stephen Colbert ruined a historic moment.

Anyway, the flight itself was cool. If a little underwhelming (It basically goes up to near space and just falls back down).

What's historic about it ??

Branson figured out something that was done in the 1960's none of this is new or historic in anyway.

Elon Musk did somethign incredible by developing reuseable rockets that can land themselves that's incredible Branson is nothing but a showoff

Lmao guys, some of ya'll are losers for making noise on how "it's not really space, what's to celebrate about" while you type away your sentences.

The guy did something very very very very few of us have, and will even be close to, a personal journey to see our earth above the clouds as an individual who wanted to do so - and not just a man hired and trained by the government to go on a space mission.

Like what the fuck do you guys need to acknowledge the actual gravity of this news?

You, a fucking individual, can now have the dream to want to see our planet from a height thought impossible - a dream that has existed for centuries - and can earn the means to live that dream if you so choose to dedicate your life to accumulate the wealth it requires to do so.

Every single photo you've ever seen of Earth from space can now be seen in person, with your own goddamn eyes.

If that doesn't excite you, then please continue to breathing while others make way for the future you will undoubtedly will only complain and moan about anyway.

I would argue Elon Musk has done more for the development for space than Richard Branson has and SpaceX actually have revolutionized and actually found a cheap way to send cargo into space given it's reusable rockets.

That's moving shit forward and Branson is just a showoff who has replicated something that was achived in the 1960's

CloudNull

Banned
Please show me how the billionaires have lowered the cost of space entry.

Edit: also, starlink is a bunch of bullshit bro.

It cost a million dollars to launch a satellite to sso orbit because of SpaceX..... that is chump change for a startup. Before SpaceX it would be damn near impossible to do this.

Starlink is in its infancy and it is already pulling 230mb dl at 50 ms..... this is before the mesh network has been fully deployed.

The array technology they are building for the satellite links is straight out of a science fiction novel. I don’t care what some YouTuber says. I read their documentation and I understand it is technically still in alpha. They aren’t event using the array tech yet and using ground towers.

It’s almost like building technology the world has never seen takes time.

truth777

Banned
😬

‘Branded’
5282-F1-DE-6367-4-B7-A-B17-E-424-CC3-AD5-E42.jpg

The sooner the majority realizes that most of the “superstars” and rich people you see on tv are human trafficking/child raping scum, the better off we’ll all be.
Even the Dalai Lama is a shitshow:

Last edited:

truth777

Banned
Just think about this when Oprah gets her big interview with Branson to celebrate this achievement.
You can Google Oprah with any of these names and find her snuggled up with all of them.

Harvey Weinstein:

John of God:

Peter Nygard, indicted for sex trafficking:

Geraldine Laybourne is her business partner with the Oxygen network and was very instrumental at getting the *kids* network, Nickelodeon, off the ground. She’s also listed, along with her husband Kit, on Epstein’s flight logs as submitted in State of Florida vs Jeffrey Epstein et al.
D9KOscL.jpg

Blade2.0

It cost a million dollars to launch a satellite to sso orbit because of SpaceX..... that is chump change for a startup. Before SpaceX it would be damn near impossible to do this.

Starlink is in its infancy and it is already pulling 230mb dl at 50 ms..... this is before the mesh network has been fully deployed.

The array technology they are building for the satellite links is straight out of a science fiction novel. I don’t care what some YouTuber says. I read their documentation and I understand it is technically still in alpha. They aren’t event using the array tech yet and using ground towers.

It’s almost like building technology the world has never seen takes time.
Physics will Trump science fiction every time brother. Progress, sadly, doesn't just happen because we want it to. There are hard limits that our tech just can't surpass. Take the internal combustion engine. It's been pretty much the same for decades now. There's a hard limit to the efficiency it can achieve, that's why we haven't gotten 100 mpg cars yet and most likely never will with gas powered engines. A lot of musk's shit is all just smoke and mirrors.

Top Bottom