• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rick and Morty Season 4 | Incredibly Holophobic

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
S1OXGxN.png

How to watch:

S4E1 is out now.

Codes 208

Was a pretty good premiere, not as chaotic and action-packed as S3’s but something akin to SE1 and 2’s.

I kinda figured at some point they would do something Akira-related but I didnt think they would dedicate a whole episode to it.

Codes 208

I’ve never seen Akira.
Its pretty good, its a late 80’s anime movie tht inspired a lot of sci-fi with its dystopian neo Tokyo setting and use of telekinetic abilities. (For example, the matrix creators credited akira as a huge influence and we can see that with neo’s bullet stopping as it mirrors when Tetsuo stops a tank round with his mind.)

The climax is straight up nightmare fuel however.
I thought Meeseeks aren't able to physically die though?
i dont think they were killed, they did their task of shielding morty and therefor died naturally.

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
i dont think they were killed, they did their task of shielding morty and therefor died naturally.
No, those ones poofed out of existence properly. The one who killed Nazi Morty got sucked into space and suffocated. Maybe he's just unconscious? I dunno.

Codes 208

No, those ones poofed out of existence properly. The one who killed Nazi Morty got sucked into space and suffocated. Maybe he's just unconscious? I dunno.
Oh shit thats right, i forgot about that part. He could be unconscious, or maybe put into stasis due to the cold of space.

Teslerum

Ok/Decent episdoe.

But, why was every facist world modeled after Hitler? At some point I expected a dig at Stalin, but it never came.

Last edited:

manfestival

I didnt see the last episode but I did enjoy the first episode of the season. It wasn't as amazing as s2/3 but there is plenty of time and each season has its ups and downs.
This is kinda one of those shows where you can watch an episode a few times and have a different feeling from each viewing.

Jacknapes

Legally, E4 (in the UK) starts airing the new season this Wednesday at 10pm GMT. It's been a long while since I've had my Rick & Morty fix, so I'll be sure to watch.

Amazon will have each episode to purchase after airing, and probably Netflix will get the series afterwards on their platform.

Hadoukie

Episode 2 was good. It had something that Season 3 lacked, which was showing some kind of humanity for Rick at the end.

Also like that exchange with Morty and his dad at the end. He's becoming more and more like Rick.

Thurible

Also like that exchange with Morty and his dad at the end. He's becoming more and more like Rick.
Morty has changed, he's no longer an innocent young man. Ever since the purge episode he has had periods of doing crazy or violent things like Rick. He deforms a guy for messing with his sister, he uses a superstrong arm to kill people in a gladitorial ring to have some catharsis on his parents divorce, he kills krompobulos michael and the fart cloud (though he had good intentions like saving lives). Heck, last episode he kills and mutates a bunch of people to have the fate he desires.

Codes 208

Episode 2 was good. It had something that Season 3 lacked, which was showing some kind of humanity for Rick at the end.

It also had a good mix of season 3’s action shenanigans. Rick vs the cyber-lizards was a straight up pickle rick kind of moment and i loved every second of it.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Haven't seen 2 yet, but 1 was a strong season opener. I'm still worried that they've been given the go ahead to make so many new episodes - peak R+M is outstanding but there's some real duds in there too, and we're only a few seasons deep. Interested to see how it shakes out but I think they're really gonna run out of steam considering they're intending to make this thing for what looks like a decade.

I’ve never seen Akira.

I think they're 4K-ifying it and re-releasing it in cinemas sometime in the near future. Great excuse.

RobotVM

The episode was as good as Rick and Morty have ever been. Episode 2 was ok. I feel like when Rick and Morty split up the episode suffers.

Codes 208

So has there been confirmation that this is only the first half of the season? It still seems very strange to me that they would cut it down to 5 episodes

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
So has there been confirmation that this is only the first half of the season? It still seems very strange to me that they would cut it down to 5 episodes

Yeah, it’s confirmed that only the first five episodes are airing for now.

M. Crassus

Are we going back to the S1/S2 level quality? Thought the third season sucked, felt like a dumb Rick and Morty fanboy trying to emulate what makes R&M great but failing.

Tesseract

Banned
episode 3 is probably the worst episode of all time

not funny, not clever (not even reflexively), poorly animated, lazy garbage

not really feeling this season, hoping the second half is better

Last edited:

Scotty W

episode 3 is probably the worst episode of all time

not funny, not clever (not even reflexively), poorly animated, lazy garbage

not really feeling this season, hoping the second half is better

I've done something I don't often do: rewatched the episode, and I disagree with your assessment.

It had a lot of great lines: "Total waste of snakes". "If my son ever gives up on anything, it'd better be because of his own disillusionment".

I enjoyed the ourobortic form of the episode, where they basically double back to chase infinity. A bit like Terminator: Genysys, but good. The fact that the point of the whole episode was just Rick's quest to get Morty to give up on his dream and adventure forever with him was very human. People do this all the time, but it is very rare to see it on TV.

Reading your post reminded me of how in the old days I bought a season of Seinfeld on DVD and binged it. But after a certain point, I stopped laughing because I was too saturated to appreciate it anymore.

Filth

Im not feeling this season because i felt season 1-2 were leading to a story then season three hit and was a let down to me with a couple of good episodes. Season 4 is giving me the same vibes as 3 and 3 was meh.

Tesseract

Banned
I've done something I don't often do: rewatched the episode, and I disagree with your assessment.

It had a lot of great lines: "Total waste of snakes". "If my son ever gives up on anything, it'd better be because of his own disillusionment".

I enjoyed the ourobortic form of the episode, where they basically double back to chase infinity. A bit like Terminator: Genysys, but good. The fact that the point of the whole episode was just Rick's quest to get Morty to give up on his dream and adventure forever with him was very human. People do this all the time, but it is very rare to see it on TV.

Reading your post reminded me of how in the old days I bought a season of Seinfeld on DVD and binged it. But after a certain point, I stopped laughing because I was too saturated to appreciate it anymore.

eh, fair enough

drganon

I really enjoyed the first two seasons, but between the third season and how stupid some fans of the show can be, its killed any interest for me in watching anymore.

Top Bottom