• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rick and Morty Season 4 | Incredibly Holophobic

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Anyone else feel like pretty much every episode this season has been overworked? It seems to me they are trying so hard to top previous episodes they are getting in their own way?

Every episode kinda feels messy and overstuffed to me, very little pacing or character narrative its all in service of clever meta-jokes that aren't actually that funny or compelling. Nothing feels emotionally grounded anymore, and that's a big loss.

Not saying I dislike the show, but I feel like since season 3, quality has been slipping.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
It was neat how the vat of acid episode had the same basic concept of the first episode of season 4 (dying over and over again), but was executed very differently.

I watched it again and also noticed that they reused the judge character model too.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

In fact, Roiland has an even more radical idea for how to release Rick and Morty and bring a little excitement back to television. Roiland said:

“I’ve been saying we should drop an episode each month, just make it a big event. I like the idea of thinking outside the box with how any show is delivered to the masses. If you do one a month, the show is alive the whole year and you’re still buying us all the time we need to make them as good as they need to be. I’m not saying that’s ever gonna happen, but I have brought that up in the past. That just goes to the point that I have no idea what the plan is for season five. I’m sure whatever it is will be the right decision.”

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."

oagboghi2

Anyone else feel like pretty much every episode this season has been overworked? It seems to me they are trying so hard to top previous episodes they are getting in their own way?

Every episode kinda feels messy and overstuffed to me, very little pacing or character narrative its all in service of clever meta-jokes that aren't actually that funny or compelling. Nothing feels emotionally grounded anymore, and that's a big loss.

Not saying I dislike the show, but I feel like since season 3, quality has been slipping.

The problem for me the past 2 seasons is there's been zero consistency with how the characters are written. IDK maybe it's because they have more writers doing individual episodes now.

It's just the way all the characters act changes drastically from one episode to the next. Ryan Ridley and Mike McMahon who were S1 and S2 writers are pretty consistent but it seems like some of the new writers just do whatever they want.

Top Bottom