• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ricky Gervais accused of mocking people with learning difficulties.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
I used to like Ricky Gervais, then I realized I only liked The Office and found most of his other works to be pure tripe.

Man this dude fell way off. I'll give this a look-see for Pilkington but Life's Too Short and Cemetery Junction have proven that Extras was their (merchant/gervais) last good effort.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Seriously. People who don't get Stewart Lee make me sad.

"I GET HIM HE'S JUST NOT FUNNY"

People that claim I don't get Stewart Lee make me sad. It is possible to get him and still not like him.

Have you listened to the podcast? I don't really like his other stuff, but the podcast is 11/10.

Podcast is great but he still comes off as incredible annoying in it.

Seriously. People who don't get Stewart Lee make me sad.

"I GET HIM HE'S JUST NOT FUNNY"

I saw "Carpet Remnant World" last month, and I heard someone saying this word-for-word in the foyer after the show. Couldn't help but smile.

Stew signed my Fist of Fun DVD, too. Such a lovely bloke.

"And Trigger made a face!"

Repeating a line 20 times doesn't make it funny no matter how loud you shout it, or how much of a sneer you have at the time.

Stewart Lee always seems to me like he's so desperate to be considered smarter and more high-brow than the people he criticises, and his fans equally desperate to be considered smarter than fans of those same people, that both parties seem like condescending wankstains in the main

Stewart Lee always seems to me like he's so desperate to be considered smarter and more high-brow than the people he criticises, and his fans equally desperate to be considered smarter than fans of those same people, that both parties seem like condescending wankstains in the main

What's wrong with wanting to be considered smarter? I don't like Stewart Lee because his comedy is "more high-brow", I like him because he makes me laugh. I don't understand why his attempting to maintain personal and professional standards needs to be considered condescending, nor his fans for enjoying his output.

What's wrong with wanting to be considered smarter? I don't like Stewart Lee because his comedy is "more high-brow", I like him because he makes me laugh. I don't understand why his attempting to maintain personal and professional standards needs to be considered condescending, nor his fans for enjoying his output.

If you want to be considered smarter, act smarter. The impression I get of Stewart Lee is of a man who is more comfortable in trying to drag people down with repeated inane criticisms to the point that he's considered smart by comparison, rather than actually bringing anything intrinsically intelligent to the table

edit - Bear in mind that I've only seen about an hour of his stand up :)

If you want to be considered smarter, act smarter. The impression I get of Stewart Lee is of a man who is more comfortable in trying to drag people down with repeated inane criticisms to the point that he's considered smart by comparison, rather than actually bringing anything intrinsically intelligent to the table

I think he does very interesting things the structure of his shows, how he builds his routines. And of course, I find him very funny and frequently thought-provoking. Regardless, each to their own, again.

I think you are projecting things onto to Lee that aren't actually there.

rdrr gnr

edit - Bear in mind that I've only seen about an hour of his stand up :)
Oh, yeah, just that minor detail. Thanks.

Anybody who has listened to the XFM shows/podcasts would know Ricky is a really nice down to earth guy. Whenever he has something against someone he just flat out says it why would he create some thinly veiled 'attack' on mentally disabled people for no reason. People get offended by fucking everything now, hopefully he doesn't back down. The mong "controversy" was just as dumb.

edit - Just saw this:

More judging and raging before they even see the content. Reminds me of the Fox news Mass Effect shit.

Really? I think he reveals himself to be a huge cunt multiple times throughout the XFM series as well as almost every podcast. I love those shows in spite of him being a massive dick. There's also that special feature from The Office that I saw on youtube where he tapes one of his co-workers - some passive, wimpy editor. Gervais frequently crosses the line from taking the piss to being an asshole. I am similar to him, so a lot of his behaviours remind me of the worst aspects of my own personality.

As for this show, I hope it will be a return to form. After Life's Too Short, my expectations are extremely low.

rdrr gnr

I think he does very interesting things the structure of his shows, how he builds his routines. And of course, I find him very funny and frequently thought-provoking. Regardless, each to their own, again.
I love his delivery. His "timing" or lack thereof allows a joke to be funny on its own; whereas, a lot of comedians have this built-in structure to garner laughs (not that he doesn't have structure). I'm probably not making sense.

Really? I think he reveals himself to be a huge cunt multiple times throughout the XFM series as well as almost every podcast. I love those shows in spite of him being a massive dick. There's also that special feature from The Office that I saw on youtube where he tapes one of his co-workers - some passive, wimpy editor. Gervais frequently crosses the line from taking the piss to being an asshole. I am similar to him, so a lot of his behaviours remind me of the worst aspects of my own personality.

As for this show, I hope it will be a return to form. After Life's Too Short, my expectations are extremely low.

He reminds me a bit of myself when I was about 16 in a weird way, where he's with a couple of friends who all take the piss out of eachother, but he sometimes says stuff that could be very hurtful on the spur of the moment without even realising that he's stepped over the mark that the other 2 stop at. If Karl got pissed off, I don't think I'd find it funny if that makes sense

I love his delivery. His "timing" or lack thereof allows a joke to be funny on its own; whereas, a lot of comedians have this built-in structure to garner laughs (not that he doesn't have structure). I'm probably not making sense.

Makes perfect sense. His latest show "Carpet Remnant World" was about the structure of a stand-up routine, building on the themes of his previous "If You Prefer a Milder Comedian, Please Ask For One". I'm hoping it gets a DVD release so I can enjoy it again.

When the whole point of your work is to court attention, it probably isn't a problem.

To be fair Derek seems to be just a piece of work that Ricky's had in mind for years (decades?) with nothing about it really being all that controversial judging from trailers and impressions. If Gervais was a newcomer, people would at least wait to see how it goes before assuming that Derek is based on somebody who's mentally handicapped, rather than the simpleton Gervais has described him as

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom