• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ridge Racer 7 3D License Ver.

Jonnyram

http://www.bandainamcogames.co.jp/cs/list/ridgeracer7/rr73d/

On 1 October, Namco will release a patch for Ridge Racer 7 that implements support for 3D displays.

The patch will cost 500 yen and is currently playable at TGS.

I'm just kind of surprised that noone from the press has asked whether they will implement trophies with this patch. It seems like the ideal time to do so if a bunch of people are going to be playing it again.

I'd just hope they'd patch online since the rankings have been broken forever. :-(

EDIT: To explain, within about 6 months of launch people figured out "crackracing" - you just get to the final race of a particular circuit and lose over and over. For doing so you accumulate large amounts of ranking points in short order. The top 20 or so world ranked players all have the maximum score (9999999 etc), ranked in order of when they achieved it, so there is theoretically nothing you could ever do to become #1, short of finding a way to short out Namco's servers. :lol

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Jonnyram said:
http://www.bandainamcogames.co.jp/cs/list/ridgeracer7/rr73d/

On 1 October, Namco will release a patch for Ridge Racer 7 that implements support for 3D displays.

The patch will cost 500 yen and is currently playable at TGS.

I'm just kind of surprised that noone from the press has asked whether they will implement trophies with this patch. It seems like the ideal time to do so if a bunch of people are going to be playing it again.
I'd rather wait for the 3DS version. If they're adding new DLC, I'd like to see the Angelus and Crinale cars from RR6. They also need to add Photon Field from RR6. Love that song as well as Floodlight.

Photon Field

Floodlight

RR7 is one of the only game running at 60fps and native full HD resolution (yes, a full 1920*1080) so I guess they won't have any problem running the game at 720p for 60fps (the PS3 can't handle 1080p 3D)

UFRA

I don't have a 3D TV :(

RR7 was my first PS3 game. I still have it, and will never sell it. I play it occasionally just for the memories. I loved it so much I completed it 100%.

I think that its graphics actually hold up really well for its age. The real 1080p visuals are just awesome. I love it.

Jonnyram

UnluckyKate said:
RR7 is one of the only game running at 60fps and native full HD resolution (yes, a full 1920*1080) so I guess they won't have any problem running the game at 720p for 60fps (the PS3 can't handle 1080p 3D)
This is an interesting point.
I don't believe RR7 will run at 60fps in 3D. Wipeout doesn't.
Since you have to transmit twice the frames, 60fps 3D requires 120fps to be sent to the TV, and I don't think PS3 is able to output that.

Suzzopher

UFRA said:

RR7 was my first PS3 game. I still have it, and will never sell it. I play it occasionally just for the memories. I loved it so much I completed it 100%.

I think that its graphics actually hold up really well for its age. The real 1080p visuals are just awesome. I love it.

Looks and runs better than a vast majority of these middleware engine games we keep getting this gen.

Jonnyram said:
Since you have to transmit twice the frames, 60fps 3D requires 120fps to be sent to the TV, and I don't think PS3 is able to output that.
Super Stardust HD is 60fps in 3D. And full of win.

EDIT: But not 1080p

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Can you only buy patches/DLC from the store related to the game?

- I have the Japanese RR7 from launch, so will I have to buy the patch from the Japanese store? (not sure if I have any credit there anymore but would like the patch)

any news on a global release?

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
UFRA said:

Eloquently put and agreed 100%

Suzzopher said:
Looks and runs better than a vast majority of these middleware engine games we keep getting this gen.

Xater said:
Hey Namco how about you give me RR8 instead?

This and fucking this.

No DLC for cars, tracks, trophies, custom soundtracks or even voice chat is epic fail to the 9th power. Fuck you namco.

Raistlin

UnluckyKate said:
(the PS3 can't handle 1080p 3D)

Actually the problem is it isn't a required resolution/rate for the HDMI 1.4 3D specification, so few if any TV's would be able to display it.

Roxas

I thought that if you were doing DLC for a game then you had to include trophies too? Or have i misunderstood...

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Suzzopher said:
With Japan's fascination with the West, RR8 could end up either a Rally or NASCAR sim:lol
Nah. They showed off a 3DS version which was thankfully still very arcadey. I would be surprised if they didn't put one out on the PSP2 as well.

Roxas said:
I thought that if you were doing DLC for a game then you had to include trophies too? Or have i misunderstood...

Hm, think I may have heard something like that too. It sounds like a possibility, but the Japanese do tend to try not to implement trophies unless they are forced to (see: all older games like DMC4, SC4, MGS4 not getting them).

mrklaw

MrArseFace
isamu said:
This and fucking this.

No DLC for cars, tracks, trophies, custom soundtracks or even voice chat is epic fail to the 9th power. Fuck you namco.

Isn't that a bit harsh for a game that was released before DLC and fancy online features were common? 3D is probably a cheap freebie for them

mrklaw said:
Isn't that a bit harsh for a game that was released before DLC and fancy online features were common? 3D is probably a cheap freebie for them

Actually Namco did release a bunch of DLC for it: music packs of songs from old RR games.

RR4 does have one of the best soundtracks of all time, so it is excused.

Raistlin said:
Actually the problem is it isn't a required resolution/rate for the HDMI 1.4 3D specification, so few if any TV's would be able to display it.

No TV supports 1080p 60FPS, HDMI cables just don't have enough bandwidth for it.

1080p 30FPS is the absolute max that it can transmit (it's not a matter of the PS3 not being powerful enough, it's just that nothing can even display it)

Raistlin said:

Oh yeah, I know that. I meant the PS3 firmware wasn't design for this. Not that the PS3 could not handle it :D

jax (old)

Banned
Nuclear Muffin said:
Lol, charging for patches :lol

this but its such an old game. I wonder if the patch is for all versions. I'll buy it even. And this thread/news made me WANT to buy a 3D tv.

;P

This and monster house 3D.

Raistlin

Nuclear Muffin said:
No TV supports 1080p 60FPS, HDMI cables just don't have enough bandwidth for it.

1080p 30FPS is the absolute max that it can transmit (it's not a matter of the PS3 not being powerful enough, it's just that nothing can even display it)

As I said, there likely are no TV's that support it currently (I then checked, there are none), however it is in fact part of the optional 3D spec of HDMI 1.4a.

1080p60 dual eye requires approximately 297 MHz of bandwidth. HDMI 1.3/1.4 maximum bandwidth is actually 340 MHz (10.2 Gbit/s). Similarly, "High Speed" (category 2) HDMI cables are required to have been tested to support that bandwidth.

That said, I do not believe there are any HDMI Tx chips that hit the required speed currently. I think the max I've seen is in the neighborhood of ~220 MHz (and I don't recall what the PS3's is anyway).

Mofo

Crossing fingers for a US release :D

I traded the game in awhile back, but I'd gladly buy it again if Namco shipped a retail version with the patch already applied.

Oneself

_dementia said:
I have RR6. is 7 that worthy of an upgrade to justify a purchase?

If you're a RR fan, you should. I bought and finished RR6 then got RR7 at launch and it was totally worth it. Especially since you should be able to find the game for a penny.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
_dementia said:
I have RR6. is 7 that worthy of an upgrade to justify a purchase?
Suzzopher said:
Not really.

Umm, I beg to differ. 7 is a huge improvement over 6 in terms of gameplay and handling. This is not readily apparent to those new to the game. On the surface it is just 6 with slightly better graphics. But dig a little deeper and you will discover there are things under the hood that make it a much better game. I am not going to go into detail suffice to say the changes to the nitrous system makes the differences between 6 & 7 night day.

....NIGHT AND FUCKING DAY

SHOTEH and isamu, my ridge city brothers!

Man, yeah its old, but I do think a bit more seriously about getting a 3DTV with something like this...(sigh where's Ridge 8!?!)

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Stuff like this (and SOTC) make my desire for 3D tv much stronger, but there is absolutely nothing that will convince me to buy until glasses-free 3D is polished and affordable.

Crazymoogle said:
sigh where's Ridge 8!?!

After Tekken 7
and Klonoa 3.

Top Bottom