• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ridge Racer Vita is "next gen"

whitehawk

Banned
Actually this is a feature 3DS has over the WiFi Vita.
It will drain its own battery as fast as the phone drains his while providing the 3G feed, so both devices will die roughly together.
On Vita on the other hand, you'll end up with an empty phone and Vita barely scratching its own battery. :p

(I may exaggerate a bit - but I've seen this in person today, and iPhone drained its battery several times faster then Vita while doing this).
No. Because when you have a hotspot, the phones wifi will be activated, thus draining it's battery faster.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I wish they just did a HD-port of RR2 instead.
I'd have paid full-price for that over the current version, and they could still add-on the new MMO mode as DLC if they wanted to.

I bought RR1 and RR type 4 from the PSN store yesterday, ready for my vita. I really wanted RR2 but its not up on EU/US stores, only Japan.

:-O

So you're saying that if they don't bring that over to US, I better be importing a JP Vita?

Nah, just set up a JPN PSN account, download it, then reset your Vita and switch to your normal account again. app will still work. Interesting that it is possible for an app to mark itself as region free, as almost everything is locked if you use a different account - even some demos.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
As already pointed out, this isn't anything new or brilliant. Other handheld racers have achieved the same thing.

Any criticism leveled at RR Vita will be from the development attitude from Namco. If a mere ghost data and a sense of community has pleased you then great. Let us hope that same sense of worth is retained within 2-4 years time.

Durante

I think the novel parts are the Near integration and the always-on aspect of 3G. I hope more games integrate those well.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
As already pointed out, this isn't anything new or brilliant. Other handheld racers have achieved the same thing.

Any criticism leveled at RR Vita will be from the development attitude from Namco. If a mere ghost data and a sense of community has pleased you then great. Let us hope that same sense of worth is retained within 2-4 years time.

its odd though - there is criticism for Namco releasing a 'bare bones' game, but some people have previously been suggesting thats exactly what they wanted to see - basic game and then DLC to build it up depending on your level of interest in the game.

Seems you're damned whatever you try?

its odd though - there is criticism for Namco releasing a 'bare bones' game, but some people have previously been suggesting thats exactly what they wanted to see - basic game and then DLC to build it up depending on your level of interest in the game.

Seems you're damned whatever you try?

Then, they should make the game really cheap, even free, in DD.

3 tracks 5 cars, but free. Then cars-tracks DLC in single units (2$ each car and 4$ each track) and bundles (10$ for 3 extra cars and 2 extra tracks). If you want to make a physical version, make it with more content, with some DLC bundles, making the game 30$, but with 14 cars and 9 tracks.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Next gen defined by barebones content and having to buy the rest? Perfect definition.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I feel I should point out that Mario Kart 7 has almost the exact same system with Wi-Fi. I'm getting ghost data almost every time I connect.

EDIT: Beaten like a carpet

deim0s

Okay, so let's break down the features of Ridge Racer Vita:

• Ghost sharing
  • 3 courses
  • 5 cars
  • 6 music tracks

You can look at it this way and just write off the game.

I see it differently. The game is much more than the sum of it's parts and that's what impressed me. They took concept of sharing ghosts and put it center stage through the team challenge system. They exploited features of the hardware to make it work. I really couldn't imagine playing this game offline.

I'm really x'ing my fingers that the US release have more content than the DLC shit they're planning of doing or just play my PSP version.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Maybe the US launch will be better too for this one. 2 more tracks and 3 more skins! In it's current state, I would pay no more than 20 out of desperation for a good launch racer. The one everyone should be getting is Wipeout anyways. It's a shame that my inner RR love still has me looking forward to it more than Wipeout even though Wipeout thrashes it.

Don't feel bad because you enjoyed a cool feature. These lot are just grumpy, that's all.

I like it when I arrive at the Missus', where there is no wireless and yet my 3DS has downloaded new content via Spotpass whilst I was walking around. I'm not going to argue that feature is groundbreaking but it certainly helped my 3DS feel 'new'.

yeah. i'm glad Sony are implementing similar features. it really makes me want to carry my 3DS around. that lovely surprise of seeing it's been up to stuff while bouncing about in my pocket keeps it in my pocket, which has ensured that the 3DS is the first portable i've really used as a portable.

when it's in my pocket, the thought of pulling it out and having a quick go on the next pushmo is never too far away from my mind.

yurinka

Maybe the US launch will be better too for this one. 2 more tracks and 3 more skins! In it's current state, I would pay no more than 20 out of desperation for a good launch racer. The one everyone should be getting is Wipeout anyways. It's a shame that my inner RR love still has me looking forward to it more than Wipeout even though Wipeout thrashes it.
Same here. Love Wipeout, love Ridge Racer.
I'll get Wipeout day one.
If they don't add more content for the EU launch, I won't pay more than 20 bucks for this RR.
But well, until they reduce its price, at least in Vita we can play:

-Ridge Racer (PS1)
-Ridge Racer Revolution (PS1)
-Rage Racer (PS1)
-Ridge Racer Type 4 (PS1)
-Ridge Racers (PSP)
-Ridge Racers 2 (PSP)
-WipEout (PS1)
-Wipeout 2097 / Wipeout XL (PS1)
-Wip3out (PS1)
-Wipeout Pure (PSP)
-Wipeout Pulse (PSP)
-Wipeout 2048 (Vita)

yeah. i'm glad Sony are implementing similar features. it really makes me want to carry my 3DS around.
Sony isn't implementing similar 3DS features.
In PSP there were games where you shared content though wifi with other users even without asking them. Some even generated 'gifts' from wifi devices (even if they weren't PSP), and others even if you were player SP but had the wifi turned on if someone with the game was near was able to join your match without lobby or even asking you for confirmation (just like in the old arcades).

BTW, this 'free gift' idea comes from social games, as a retention and virality feature. A user gifts game content to another, who might forgot the game. Seeing that game notification outside the game might encourage him to go back to the game. Depending on the game design (how important are these gifts in the game), the player would want more gifts, so will ask new players to join the game.

zoukka

This is some serious astro-turfing. The game is "next-gen" because it shares ghost times over 3G? Really?
Ridge Racer Vita is one of the laziest pieces of shit I've ever seen

Well this is how things progressively deteriorate. We either accept the half framerate, barebones experience or we don't. It's up to gamers.

theBishop

Banned
Ridge Racer on Vita looks lame to me, but I completely agree with you on "connectedness". In addition to sheer hardware muscle, Vita has a huge advantage in online connectivity.

It's odd that all the breakthrough mobile games have been mostly offline experiences.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Ridge Racer on Vita looks lame to me, but I completely agree with you on "connectedness". In addition to sheer hardware muscle, Vita has a huge advantage in online connectivity.

It's odd that all the breakthrough mobile games have been mostly offline experiences.

In America we get raped on 3G contracts. Mine has a 100MB cap...

Takao

Banned
If Scamco fixes the game for the west maybe I'll bite. By fix I mean stable frame rate, and more tracks/cars. Otherwise I'm just taking the dubstep visualizer for free.

Ah, gotcha. Yeah, I agree with you about the controls, that's what makes the spotty framerate so annoying. There's a good amount of content, nice controls and the 3D effect is genuinely cool but that framerate ruins it all for me :(

I really want that dubstep visualiser thing that was shown off on Vita.

Where? What content? 5 cars. 3 maps. That sounds like what you'd get from a demo of a racing game.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Okay, so let's break down the features of Ridge Racer Vita:

• Ghost sharing
  • 3 courses
  • 5 cars
  • 6 music tracks

You can look at it this way and just write off the game.

Is this a joke or very bad PR.
This thread is not selling the game at all.....ive been playing forza so ghost sharing isnt something that screams next gen to me.
I guess its cool cuz it happens over the 3G network or whatever.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I appreciate that you enjoy the online ghost feature, but this is nothing new at all and does not constitute anything remotely 'next gen'. It almost feels like you've just stumbled upon 3G technology and borders on viral....

Synless

This is the first RR I am not buying due to how shitty and lazy it is. I was already burned by the 3DS one, this one can rot. No online play, shit for tracks and features. I don't say this often, but sometimes the iOS structure is much better than other companies. I got Real Racing 2 for $8.99 at launch with a ton of cars, tracks, and online racing over 3G. My friend got it for $.99 this last sale. This game is a joke compared to that for over double the price (at full price).

M-PG71C

If DLC Racer is next-gen, I don't want any part of it what so fucking ever. It may do a couple things right, but it does so many wrong.

Which is a shame, I was really looking forward to it. But $20 for a couple tracks and a car or two? You gotta be fucking me.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Any new impressions of this game? And what are the chances of Namco re-doing the game and upping the framerate to 60fps for the American version?

Burai

shitonmychest57
I love how everyone in this thread has the game and their bitching is justified.

Nobody here is criticising how this game plays.

They are criticising the amount of content and features that have been stated by the developers.

You don't need to have played a game to do the latter.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Any new impressions of this game? And what are the chances of Namco re-doing the game and upping the framerate to 60fps for the American version?
No chance of that, I'm afraid, but I would hope the US version includes more content out of the box.

dc89

I don't like the idea of buying a game with very little content and then having to buy the DLC to get a long play time out of the game.

If that's next-gen, I'm out.

Top Bottom