• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rime comes out in May. Costs £10 more on Nintendo Switch.

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
C6aPixZWAAAgWnz.jpg:orig

Rime comes out on 26th May.

Tequila Works' once PlayStation exclusive puzzle adventure game is set for PC, PS4 and Xbox One in both physical and digital form, priced £29.99.

Shortly after, Rime launches on Nintendo Switch also as a physical and digital release, but this time priced £39.99. We've asked for an explanation for the tenner increase.

More here - http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-03-08-rime-comes-out-in-may

Edit:

Here is the full PR with all the different pricepoints

Grey Box, Six Foot and independent developer Tequila Works have announced that RiME, the highly-anticipated puzzle adventure game, has a confirmed release date of May 26 for the PlayStation®4 computer entertainment system, Xbox One, and Windows PC. It will arrive at both retail and digital store shelves with a suggested retail price of $29.99 / €34.99 / £29.99.

​Shortly afterward, RiME will launch on Nintendo Switch™, allowing players to take the adventure with them anywhere on the go utilizing the system's portability, as a physical and digital release with a suggested retail price of $39.99 / €44.99 / £39.99.

RiME is a single-player puzzle adventure game about discovery, experienced through the eyes of a young boy who awakens on a mysterious island after shipwrecking off its coast. Players must navigate the island's secrets by making use of light, sound, perspective and even time. Inspired by the rugged, sunbaked terrain of the Mediterranean coast, RiME paints its breathtaking world with a fusion of vibrant colors and moving musical undertones to set the stage for the deeply personal journey that awaits within.

Response:

Hey everyone,

I just finished reading through the last 13 pages or so of responses to this, so forgive the late response here.

First, it has been a long road getting to this point where we can announce a release date. We started the development of the Switch version as early as we could and it is a very resource intensive endeavor to make that port. We want to ensure that the experience on the Switch is the best it can be, which is the reason for the split release dates. It is not a decision we came to lightly, but it is a decision that had to be made.

On May 26th of this year, Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC players will be able to get their hands on RiME and begin their adventure. Physical copies for both PlayStation 4 and Xbox One will be available for $29.99 in North America and at various price points around the globe.

The Nintendo Switch version will come out at a later date which we will announce when we finalize development. We began working on the Switch later into development than the other platforms. Items such as engine optimization, the complex lighting system, and ultimately the general port process all take time, and we did not want to release the Switch version before it was ready. We are doing everything we can to minimize the delay.

The price point for the Switch version is something everyone is obviously interested in as we've announced that it will be higher than other console versions. When we released our suggested retail price, we took into account many things, including development, production, and manufacturing costs. When the decision was made to do a physical release for the Switch version at $39.99 it was done so based on those factors. That is the bottom line; we are not attempting to take advantage of a freshly released console, a specific group of fan's affinity for games, a lack of games on a specific console, or any of those factors, it all comes down to the cost to get it out the door.

I completely understand why some people are upset by this, and I want you to know this was not a decision we made lightly. It was a very hot topic here, and ultimately a decision had to be made. I am reading every single post and understand where the varying thoughts and feelings come from. I am sharing the sentiment from the community with our team, so please keep sharing your feedback.

Thanks,
Tim

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Am I alone in feeling like this game's aesthetic is totally ruined by the dopey-lookin' main character?

oatmeal

Banned
Third party games don't sell on Nintendo consoles. It's simple. We don't understand why Rime didn't sell as well on the Switch.

jonno394

£10 extra digital makes no sense. No buy for me at that price on switch. Late , more expensive and probably the weakest version. Nah.

Sealtest

Not the first game to cost more on the switch, I think puyo puyo tetris cost more at least for the physical version.

I'll get it anyways cause it looks beautiful.

Certinty

I wonder how many Switch and PS4/XO/PC owners will wait longer and pay more more for the Switch version now.

FelipeMGM

Here is the full PR with all the different pricepoints

Grey Box, Six Foot and independent developer Tequila Works have announced that RiME, the highly-anticipated puzzle adventure game, has a confirmed release date of May 26 for the PlayStation®4 computer entertainment system, Xbox One, and Windows PC. It will arrive at both retail and digital store shelves with a suggested retail price of $29.99 / €34.99 / £29.99.

​Shortly afterward, RiME will launch on Nintendo Switch™, allowing players to take the adventure with them anywhere on the go utilizing the system's portability, as a physical and digital release with a suggested retail price of $39.99 / €44.99 / £39.99.

RiME is a single-player puzzle adventure game about discovery, experienced through the eyes of a young boy who awakens on a mysterious island after shipwrecking off its coast. Players must navigate the island's secrets by making use of light, sound, perspective and even time. Inspired by the rugged, sunbaked terrain of the Mediterranean coast, RiME paints its breathtaking world with a fusion of vibrant colors and moving musical undertones to set the stage for the deeply personal journey that awaits within.

Ladekabel

I guess they think they can bank on early adopter craving for new games to play and willing to pay more. I don't think their plan will com to fruition but I could be wrong.

pswii60

Switch version is overwhelmingly good value as you're getting two versions in one: portable and console.

I'm not after Reggie's job, honest.

orioto

Good Art™
Maybe they think the game on Switch is like 2 versions of the game cause it's hybrid!

And it'll be the weakest version graphic wise with that lol

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
That new console tax. Probably banking on the "we're past the Zelda honeymoon and we need SOMETHING to play on this thing." Puyo Puyo Tetris doing this mess along with Disgaea 5.

I feel like they had some excitement from Switch owners and this is potentially going to dampen that excitement considerably. Guess I will pass on it now.

Scrawnton

So it's launching later than PS4 and they're charging an extra $10?

Seriously? They really think they can get away with that? If it's a cost of cartridges being more expensive then go digital only and charge the same price. Why screw the consumer and your own sales on Switch?

LordKano

That new console tax. Probably banking on the "we're past the Zelda honeymoon and we need SOMETHING to play on this thing." Puyo Puyo Tetris doing this mess along with Disgaea 5.

Disgaea 5 is sold at an honest price, nothing like Puyo Puyo or this crap.

Doesn't Nintendo realize that multiple console owners will skip theirs 100% of the time if this shit continues? And with low sales, more and more third party will skip Switch platform. Jesus they are thick.

Nintendo is developping Rime ?

Soroc

Well that's one way to ensure I won't be buying your game on Switch. Hope the publisher reconsiders the obvious price gouging of the Switch version.

jonno394

Doesn't Nintendo realize that multiple console owners will skip theirs 100% of the time if this shit continues? And with low sales, more and more third party will skip Switch platform. Jesus they are thick.

Do you realise that it's not Nintendo setting this price? Publishers can set the digital price.

Anteo

This is nintendo's fault because....?

Nintendo doesn't set prices for Third Party games though.

Top Bottom