• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rime Creative Director: "Reading Neogaf made me cry for two days"

mdubs

Banned
Criticism is vital to the continued success of this medium. .

3 of the best games of the past number of years (Zelda, Nier, Persona 5) just came out from studios that had absolutely 0 interaction with this forum or the majority of the English language video game internet

LordKano

Yeah but again, was this ever proven? People dogpiling a dev based on nothing more than rumours seem a bit cruel.

Again, ton of times they were asked to answer these rumors or at least explain why the game disappeared for two years, and they always dodged the question. It pretty much confirms these rumors.

Instro

This is a bunch of rumors not facts. And yeah a lot of people were saying Sony dropped them because the game must be bad or something to that effect.

Regardless of whether they were rumors or fact, they painted the game and developers in very bad light which is what everyone responded to. If Rime releases, and it turns out to be a great game, then egg on our face and egg on Sony's face for not managing the project correctly. Otherwise we don't have much else to go on for why this went in development hell for a while, and became a multi plat. They dodged all questions related to this over the last few years so I'm not sure what's people are supposed to take for the whole thing.

Ferr986

Yeah but again, was this ever proven? People dogpiling a dev based on nothing more than rumours seem a bit cruel.

I agree, just pointing it was not about the price thing, neither a thing about GAF really. Shit started at Vandal forums, then spread everywhere: GAF, Reddit, FAQs... etc.

Not excusing driveby shitposting.

Ahasverus

Context added to the OP.
It was not, and as the game exists and plays and it's being previewed and it's releasing like next month, it was probably just conjecture.

As a dev, yeah, it can be tough reading about something you've worked on, especially when you can't get into everything that happens over the course of development on a game, why certain decisions were made, etc. So if I do go into threads about games I've worked on, it can be frustrating when people make assumptions like they know or understand what happens in AAA dev all the times. Not liking something is totally fine. Saying what would have made something better for you is totally fine. But drive-by shitposting (which I actually think is curbed very well by the mod group here) or uninformed opinions are a bit disheartening at times. And for the record, I don't share CliffyB's opinion of GAF, either.

Cornbread78

Everytime something/anything comes up that has anything questionable or could be perceived as questionable, NeoGAF answers the call; warrented or not...

R5p9G94.gif

Because the internet/social media age has birth a generation that has access to technology that let's you say whatever comes into your head without having any consequences.

In a face to face conversation you know basic human empathy to not be a complete dick to another person. Take that face away and replace it with a computer or phone screen, then empathy goes out the window. People don't think or don't care about what they are saying and how it will affect others.

I don't think Gaf is any better or any worse than anything else out there.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
3 of the best games of the past number of years (Zelda, Nier, Persona 5) just came out from studios that had absolutely 0 interaction with this forum or the majority of the English language video game internet

HA

Breath of the Wild is a massive reaction to the criticism of Skyward Sword

Alienous

There's just way too much vitriol thrown around like it's nothing unfortunately.

I think it's just the natural balance to the unreasonable hype games get, including RIME. Level-headed discussion is bounded by unearned praise and undeserved condemnation, I just feel like the former is ignored more often.

If I think of RIME, No Man's Sky, Might yNo. 9 - the pendulum was pushed a ton on the side of positivity, and when disappointments occured it swung back on the side of negativity to a similar degree. I think people just get invested in things, and so postivity and negativity is covered in hyperbole.

SeanTSC

That's the thing, NeoGAF absolutely believes it's above all of this. This is the place for rational, critical thoughts about games unlike those other vile internet forums when the truth is that it really is the same + entitlement because it's hard to register

Most other sites are filled with GG/MRA/transphobic/homophobic/racist/etc nonsense so I'd say Gaf has earned a little bit of "entitlement" to feel better about themselves than the other gaming communities out there. Yes, Gaf often gets a bit hyperbolic and has plenty of its own stupid shit, but most of the internet is a much worse, much more disgusting cesspool in ways that are more important and more damaging to the world than hurting some game developer's feelings because a game's future was shady.

True Fire

This is definitely a huge eye opener. IMO NeoGAF is largely tongue-in-cheek and hyperbolized, and most users are well aware of the site's exaggerated tone. But I imagine a nervous creative director would take every shitpost personally, and that makes me sad.

Fredrik

I think he's talking about the negative reactions from people when Sony dropped them. And I have to admit it, I fell for the scam talk and believed it at the time.
I didn't follow that, what happened? Edit: Just saw the summary posted earlier. Yikes.

Tagyhag

Thanks for trying to add the context, hope people will actually check this out instead of continuing the "GAF is so horrible" shtick

All that shows is that we shitted on the entire team without confirmation other than "A source told me".

Like, if the game comes out, what is going to be the excuse?

David___

Banned
Wait so that's what happened?

Not exactly, no. There were rumors going around that the trailers were all smoke and mirrors and a proper game never existed in the first place, then Sony suddenly stopped supporting it and going as far to give the IP to Tequila, which has never happened before.

No not really and a chunk of the problem comes from the fact that people actually believe this and then come to spew whatever comes to their head without second thought. NeoGAF is still huge on console wars and more often than not do not really encourage discussion

This so much. The mods do the best really, but this being the internet and shit where every opinion must be dialed up to idiotic levels in order to be heard and with a lot of people being eager to show how witty and awesome they are, it's kind of a hard place to be at times. I tend to avoid Switch threads because I know most of them would frankly not be enjoyable at all.

I would still browse here anyway if I was a dev, mainly because I love videogames and I love the culture around it and also the cavemen nerds who like it as much as I do. It's all awesome. I would not go to any threads about any game I'm working on though.

I'm sure the GameFAQs discussion on his game was 10 times more civil and enlightening than NeoGAF.

As someone who use to frequent Gamefaqs YEARS ago, the discussions here aren't really much better. Sometimes they're worse than on /v/ in fact. I think what Neogaf does much better is with moderation, and the highs being much higher than those boards, but average discussion can definitely get out of hand here too. I think part of the issue is the fact that we actually do have gaming devs, journalists and insiders on here, so some posters get into their heads that we're above the normal console war BS and that any old poster spouting nonsense is qualified and is speaking factually.

MKIL65

But what of the Japanese community?

Animagne

NeoGAF to me seems a lot like Berkeley at times. Even very small things will get scrutinized more than they should be. Not that everyone should get a free pass, but some news topics do get very radical opinions here.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
From the dev team themselves, not from Aonuma sitting around and reading neogaf to figure out how to make Zelda

According to producer Eiji Aonuma, many of the sweeping changes that Breath of the Wild brings to the franchise are based on the negative feedback Nintendo received from some fans for Skyward Sword.

"A lot of the fans that played Skyward Sword said that they were really bummed out that they couldn't find the hidden element of the game," Aonuma told Polygon. "A lot of the users, when they looked at the map, they said, 'OK, there's these places I can go, but how come I can't go over here?'"

literally a product of criticism

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights

Not doubting what you say because I have absolutely no idea, but cant you read the forums here without being a member?

You dont have to interact to see the criticism.

literally a product of criticism

Exactly.

Boke1879

Doesn't shock me at all. I've fallen into this trap too.

I think this forum can be great for having discussion.

BUT I have noticed in like the past 2 years. It can be taken too far. Something is either the greatest of all time or absolute shit. No middle ground and that's not good for discussion.

Look at what happened to Shinobi. Just because he happened to like a game.

This is definitely a huge eye opener. IMO NeoGAF is largely tongue-in-cheek and hyperbolized, and most users are well aware of the site's exaggerated tone. But I imagine a nervous creative director would take every shitpost personally, and that makes me sad.
Um, which NeoGAF are you reading? Tongue-in-cheek? Not when it comes to the hype cycle. There are a lot of true believers here and they pull the collective IQ of the site way down.

Anteater

"fake game! Sad!"

was all i remember from gaf, honestly the game can turn out to be good or bad but i'm just gonna wait until it's released

Roboculus

Neogaf is no less negative than any other forum on the internet. I sympathize with what devs have to go through. Not saying some criticism isn't warranted but people tend to be very hyperbolic on the internet.

I will say that I think the mods here do a generally good job but even then, there is only so much you can do.

But we're usually so nice

Ehhhhh.

Every only community especially the video gaming can be quite toxic. I love GAF, I tell friends when I find something from here or a cool thread that they might like but some topics I click and I just bounce out of sometimes. A news story breaks and a TON of people assume the worst without any information other than a headline. I loved the thread a few years back when it was a pretty long OT and in like the 5th paragraph at the end the creator asked you to post only a certain response if you had read it. The % was super low. If you read a lot of threads you will see a lot of shit but the mods do a pretty good job curtailing the snowball from getting out of control.

Fisty

All that shows is that we shitted on the entire team without confirmation other than "A source told me".

Like, if the game comes out, what is going to be the excuse?

The excuse would be they had 4 years after that reveal trailer to actually make a game

Coxy100

Banned
I love NeoGaf and it's my favorite website of all time...

But still....

This is the INTERNET... you gotta have strong skin and remember that almost everybody on the Internet is anonymous and that the tone of a comment can be totally weird and bizarre and harsh as hell sometimes.

And NeoGAF is largely a positive website that encourages discussion and not everybody is gonna like the same thing.
This is how I feel.

But also GAF might have its moments - but at least it's usually mature. Try reading gamefaqs etc

farisr

Yes, Nier Automata was a result of Square not listening to any critiques about the first game.

tebunker

Banned

Correlation vs Causation yadda yadda yadda.

Take out your specific reference to Gaf and do you not think thay those pubs/devs don't have internal testing/criticisms? Hell there are books written about how tough Nintendo is internally. We even have stories on how the BOTW dev team play tested for a full week after making changes to make sure the game still fet good/played well with the changes.

Many studios do this. Not all of them have access to that kind of work flow, but I can tell you that many of the most successful creatives value good criticism and do not take it personally. They also have avenues and methods for valuable constructive criticism. The argument can be made that the majority of critical posts on gaf/the internet are shitposts and should be ignored. Thats hard to do when you're personally vested in a project, but it is possible to separate the wheat from the chafff even here and determine good well thought criticism from the worthless stuff.

Pinky

Banned
Doesn't shock me at all. I've fallen into this trap too.

I think this forum can be great for having discussion.

BUT I have noticed in like the past 2 years. It can be taken too far. Something is either the greatest of all time or absolute shit. No middle ground and that's not good for discussion.

Look at what happened to Shinobi. Just because he happened to like a game.

Wait... what happened to Shinobi? Haven't heard about this...

Top Bottom