• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rime Creative Director: "Reading Neogaf made me cry for two days"

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
So the news is that NeoGAF is more often than not a nasty forum in the eyes of a lot of others.

Also, man walks on moon.

If they're walking on the moon right now, that certainly is news.

Though I bet they're doing it wrong. Those lazy moon walkers who are only trying to steal my hard earned cash.

Late reply in this post but I think developers need to recognise valuable and not so valuable feedback. Is opinion of neogaf users speculating about the internal workings of your company and your business deals, valuable feedback to consider?

When a developer looks at forum like neogaf, reddit, or wherever, they should be looking for valuable insight on the players perceptions of their games appeal, design, ux, etc, and in doing so, they should be able to seperate views that don't generate any value.

Neogaf and every forum on the web, is packed with absolutely useless information, opinionated criticism and speculation with no clear foundation and sometimes.

• Worry about the user experience
  • Worry about your games appeal
  • Worry about your audience, and how to target them
  • Worry about making good games

Are neogaf and forums alike the best places to generate insight to answer these questions? No. But they can be valuable if you can sift through everything that isn't. For instance, it was feedback that Naughtydog took from Neogaf that helped remedy some of the control issues in Uncharted 3. User complaints helped direct the attention of their gameplay designers and user researchers, to remedy an issue with the game. Of course, it was presumably followed up by some form of internal experimentation and testing, but it was users on Neogaf (and likely other communities) that helped highlight the issue.

In this particular case, neogaf was provided with negative information about the game, which tainted some users perceptions of the company. Yet, the developer failed to provide any clarification, and therefore, speculation turned to negativity. It's the same reason that users assumed that Sean Murray and the team had given up on No Man's Sky when they stopped communicating with their players.

This is there conclusion

If I had to change something about development I would have been more open with the public and explained the situation

And this reflects a fair assessment of what went wrong. Negative press, based on fact or otherwise, was propogating on not just neogaf, but the internet at large, and Tequilla did little to nothing to provide any clarity. I understand the perspective that the 'proof is in the pudding' and they may have just been focused on the game, unconcerned what users thought of their studio as their intentions would be clear in due course. However, if you are going to leave users in the dark, then you should expect people to assume the worst.

People on GAF were posting GIFs of Shaun Murray flying off with their money after the development of the game.

Here's a lovely quote I just found from another neogaf user, resulting from their speculation from No Man's Sky's development.

Sony didn't know and Sean is just a prick who deceived people and ran away with people's money when he got caught.

It's toxic, and hateful, and I think considering the use of language, doesn't have a place on GAF, however Hello Games allowed this perspective to propagate. They experienced bad press, then they left their users in the dark to speculate over it.

Communicate with your players, learn which feedback you can use to generate valuable insight, and which you can't. If that chain of communication is broken or damaged because of rumours and speculation, then there's a strong argument to suggest that this can be at least partially remedied by providing clarity on what's happening. If on the other hand, you don't want to communicate, perhaps in an effort to manage expectations or something along those lines - then don't take much heed in the opinions that generate from unchecked speculation, focus on making a great game and let that speak for itself when you're ready to show it.

All merely my opinion so feel free to disagree. I wasn't part of the thread when this came around. I'm looking forward to Rime, but I want to play The Last Guardian first.

I was pretty much onboard with Neogaf's overall community until I witnessed first hand the reaction to No Mans Sky. That soured my perception of this entire community. It was full on 4Gaf with people changing their avatars to hateful memes and people bulldozing any positive discussion surrounding the game.

My naive Gaf-self learned a lesson then.

rav

I was pretty much onboard with Neogaf's overall community until I witnessed first hand the reaction to No Mans Sky. That soured my perception of this entire community. It was full on 4Gaf with people changing their avatars to hateful memes and people bulldozing any positive discussion surrounding the game.

To be fair, all online communities suffer from this. In my experience, it's less so on Neogaf, but I also don't tend do more than drive-by threads that are about games I've worked on.

Sean Murray was downright misleading, if not directly lying, about his game for months. Over promising and under delivering on it's promises and concepts, with fake trailers and well staged demos. Game was critically panned and had several notorious bugs on it's release.

You can make a claim on hype culture and how people had unrealistic expectations about the game, but still Sean Murray used this same hype culture to promote the game and dosn't excuse his method and the marketing used by the company that made the game.

You can't appeal to people passion and purposedly make them strongly reasonate with your product and expecting kind words when you don't provide want you were promising. Is that kind of thing that bounces hard back at you when it fails.

Yeah, some people were extremely harsh about Hello Games and Sean Murray, but the fault belongs to Sean Murray and Hello Games respectively, because they used the same hype culture to promote their game on false hopes and get sales that otherwise they would have never managed.

Makonero

Sean Murray was downright misleading, if not directly lying, about his game for months. Over promising and under delivering on it's promises and concepts, with fake trailers and well staged demos. Game was critically panned and had several notorious bugs on it's release.

You can make a claim on hype culture and how people had unrealistic expectations about the game, but still Sean Murray used this same hype culture to promote the game and dosn't excuse his method and the marketing used by the company that made the game.

You can't appeal to people passion and purposedly make them strongly reasonate with your product and expecting kind words when you don't provide want you were promising. Is that kind of thing that bounces hard back at you when it fails.

Yeah, some people were extremely harsh about Hello Games and Sean Murray, but the fault belongs to Sean Murray and Hello Games respectively, because they used the same hype culture to promote their game on false hopes and get sales that otherwise they would have never managed.

Not to mention that the No Man Sky community was toxic BEFORE the game released. Anybody who had doubts about the game was driven out of threads and they outright attacked Press Sneak Fuck when he revealed that there'd be a three week delay. Toxicity within that community was not at all limited to GAF and in general, GAF was pretty healthy comparatively.

Top Bottom