• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rime Re-Reveal gameplay trailer (PC/PS4/XB1/Switch, May 2017)

When a publisher drops a game its usually an indication that the game is not up to snuff. I have never seen a game that was dropped by a publisher that turned out to be more then mediocre. Even when publishers publish a bad game it still means they had faith in the game like Recore or Order 1886.

There are exceptions. Sleeping Dogs for one. (It was intended to be a new installment to Activision's True Crime series, with the original title: True Crime: Hong Kong. Shelved by Activision on the basis that "it just wouldn't sell enough copies." Picked up and published by Square Einx, the final product won critical acclaim and great sales.)

sanstesy

His has plenty of relevance to the post he replied to. Yours has none in relation to his.

How is the implication I made that Sony's abandonment has hardly anything to do with how the game turns out not relevant to the post I replied to?

When a publisher drops a game its usually an indication that the game is not up to snuff. I have never seen a game that was dropped by a publisher that turned out to be more then mediocre. Even when publishers publish a bad game it still means they had faith in the game like Recore or Order 1886.

Remember Me was abandoned by Sony and that was a game that was exactly what is was set out to be. On the other hand, we also have No Man's Sky, SFV, Recore and The Order 1886; games that are exactly not what was expected or promised.

Sizzel

Interesting.. so all signs point to this game not living up to the hype from the info in this thread.

The smart play is hope it is brilliant(because a good game is good for everyone), but wait for reviews... no sense in getting hyped and don't pre order.

Shredderi

I gotta say it looks good. I do not know anything about the inner workings of the studio but it was obvious that there were troubles. But yeah, looks good and unless the trailer is misrepresenting the end product, I will likely buy it.

sanstesy

That's relevant. The part where you talked about those games they didn't abandon, like in the initial reply, isn't.

It was an easy way to refute his point and I don't see anything wrong with it. It seems to trigger you that I jokingly blasted some Sony games, though, which I find rather fun in retrospect actually.

Dariuas

RiME Community Manager
Are the desaturated colours a stylistic or a technical choice? Because I think everybody liked the more vibrant ones, and that's what stands out the most to me, I don't care about framerate at all.

Hey there Axass,

I just spent the better part of 20 minutes going through the trailer over and over making sure I was not insane. The colors in the game are much more vibrant than the trailer reveals. I suspect it has something to do with the compression used to upload the video.

Dariuas

RiME Community Manager
Not to take away from your broader point about the shifts in development and wanting to reassure everyone things are going okay...

But the current trailer is actually shockingly close to the original trailer in implementation. Key mechanics and design like activating by shout, being able to affect the day-night cycle using an in-game object, the tower with the keyhole, the walking creatures with two legs and diving bell looking heads, the scary flying creature, swimming, the main character's design, towers growing up out of the ground, the fox, the bridge to nowhere are all present in both trailers. So I would be pretty surprised if, by that token, the 2014 trailer was unrepresentative.

If anything the similarity between the two trailers shows that they've managed to realize their original vision effectively, tbqh.

You raise a great point and thank you for highlighting it. When I say that the vision of the game has returned to what Tequila Works originally wanted for it. That being said, some of the key mechanics that were in the original trailer were part of that vision.

All things considered, I am really excited for people to draw their own conclusions on the game.

It was an easy way to refute his point and I don't see anything wrong with it. It seems to trigger you that I jokingly blasted some Sony games, though, which I find rather fun in retrospect actually.

It doesn't refute anything. It's irrelevant because they're different groups entirely. Logical reasoning really is not your strong suit.

CamHostage

I see nothing there that isn't typical of development bumps in the road. Hardly worth inflating to "this is a troubled game I'm deeply worried about".

Yeah, and also, internet rabblerousing about troubled developments is a reason why projects with troubled developments are hidden at all costs by developers and publishers. They don't trust us to react fairly, and we don't react fairly, so they don't trust us...

Granted, "they" never trust anybody with anything, but for those of us interested in the hidden history of video game development and in better understanding the products we buy, I think we prefer to be informed along the way and then let history be left history once we have actual product to judge. Video games are hard as hell to make (and even harder to produce, which is in some ways a different thing,) and there's no one way to pass through the gauntlet of development. Some games move through easy, others take massive blows before they hopefully are able to emerge.

Yes, it's still an interesting aspect of Rime's history, and yes, you have plenty of reasons to hold onto your money until you're sure the game came out good. Let's talk about it, but let's not let that dominate the conversation. There's a trailer, there's new articles and discussions about the project and its status, there's a release plan and a newly-reset timeline. We had four years to talk about what Rime was not, now's a good time to talk about what Rime is.

It doesn't refute anything. It's......zzz
I'm sorry that this simple implication went.....zzz

Folks, you're having your own private argument about who is righter...

AgeEighty

It doesn't refute anything. It's irrelevant because they're different groups entirely. Logical reasoning really is not your strong suit.

It's perfectly valid to point to the group of games Sony has not abandoned, because it underlines the lack of a correlation between Sony's support of a game and its quality.

Yeah, and also, internet rabblerousing about troubled developments is a reason why projects with troubled developments are hidden at all costs by developers and publishers. They don't trust us to react fairly, and we don't react fairly, so they don't trust us...

Granted, "they" never trust anybody with anything, but for those of us interested in the hidden history of video game development and in better understanding the products we buy, I think we prefer to be informed along the way and then let history be left history once we have actual product to judge. Video games are hard as hell to make (and even harder to produce, which is in some ways a different thing,) and there's no one way to pass through the gauntlet of development. Some games move through easy, others take massive blows before they hopefully are able to emerge.

Yes, it's still an interesting aspect of Rime's history, and yes, you have plenty of reasons to hold onto your money until you're sure the game came out good. Let's talk about it, but let's not let that dominate the conversation. There's a trailer, there's new articles and discussions about the project and its status, there's a release plan and a newly-reset timeline. We had four years to talk about what Rime was not, now's a good time to talk about what Rime is.

Quite so. But with gamers, latching on to any glimmer of negativity is something of a sport.

yurinka

Looking good! Let's hope we finally see the game released and it's great. Can't wait! :)

So they had to involve another studio to finish this.
What? No, Tequila are the guys who worked on it since the start.

... to me it seems Zelda meets Myst meets The Last Guardian meets Journey meets <put any poetic indie title you saw in the last decade - it could work>
The artstyle of the location reminds me a bit The Witness too xDD

sanstesy

Folks, you're having your own private argument about who is righter...

W4XD3p911EoG4.gif

It's perfectly valid to point to the group of games Sony has not abandoned, because it underlines the lack of a correlation between Sony's support of a game and its quality.

Let's say I'm arguing that children from poor families get low-paying jobs and so, because this child is from a poor family, he will get a low paying job. And then you respond by saying that some children from rich families get low-paying jobs too so I'm wrong.

It's poor reasoning because the two groups are not the same. Same deal here.

Now, you could argue that the game's quality is unaffected by Sony's involvement but that doesn't mean that Sony's involvement is not affected by the game's quality which is obviously true. We all know that publishers abandon games they think are of low quality.

I'm sorry that this simple implication went right over your head. Logic in general doesn't seem to be your strong suit.

What implication?

ubercheez

You raise a great point and thank you for highlighting it. When I say that the vision of the game has returned to what Tequila Works originally wanted for it. That being said, some of the key mechanics that were in the original trailer were part of that vision.

All things considered, I am really excited for people to draw their own conclusions on the game.

Is there a strong narrative? Are players given concrete objectives to achieve or is it more of an "explore and figure out what to do" kind of game?

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
Looks nice. Still on my radar since day 1 but something definitely doesn't look as good as it did in the first trailer, like it doesn't look as cel shady or something. Really interested in how this game turns out.

Dyna

I remember being really interested in this when it was first revealed but I didn't find this trailer that gripping, too many things going on. I'll probably still buy it come launch day.

Looking at the reveal trailer, frankly I barely see any difference. Don't understand why some talk as if it's a Watch_ Dogs- or The Witcher 3-level downgrade.

Because, well... It used to be a game that would come only to a certain platform, and now it's not. So it must be said that the initial trailer, showed much more promise than now, and that the initial trailer was clearly fake, so it's fine to be hyped before and not when they finally showed the game is real with even a release date.

Dariuas

RiME Community Manager

You raise a great point here. Every game has a past, some of it in the eyes of the gamers, others behind doors that we never hear. While I am of course biased, I also understand that people are going to draw conclusions based on what they hear, or think is true about the past. The past only helps to refine what the final product will be, it does not define it.

I asked our COO Christian Svensson for his thoughts and this is what he had to say:
I can't speak to what came before, however, we've been working with TW for a little more than a year on RiME. I've worked with dozens of developers in my career and the development on RiME has been smooth (God knows I've had my share of trainwrecks in the past to know smooth from rocky). The team has been super pro. Raul has had a clear vision of what they wanted to do from the outset of our conversations and it's that vision that we bought in to. We've applied our resources to help out where needed and to get them to a broader audience on more platforms (as it deserves).

LordKano

Hey there Axass,

I just spent the better part of 20 minutes going through the trailer over and over making sure I was not insane. The colors in the game are much more vibrant than the trailer reveals. I suspect it has something to do with the compression used to upload the video.

Could you try to give us, by some means, a lossless version of the trailer, with better colors ? It would be nice.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I'm not exaggerating when I say one of the reasons I bought a PS4 was because of the original trailer for this. I'm hyped it's finally coming out.

I'll probably get it for Switch, though.

AgeEighty

Let's say I'm arguing that children from poor families get low-paying jobs and so, because this child is from a poor family, he will get a low paying job. And then you respond by saying that some children from rich families get low-paying jobs too so I'm wrong.

It's poor reasoning because the two groups are not the same. Same deal here.

Uh, no. The socio-economic struggles of low-income families are a widespread, public, well-researched, well-documented concern. The quality of Sony-supported vs. Sony-dropped games is based on a tiny sample size and a limited knowledge of the internal workings involved.

If you say "Sony dropped it so it must not be good," the implication is "If it were good, Sony would not have dropped it". That leads very naturally to an examination of games Sony has not, in fact, dropped, and how their support does or does not correlate to quality. The games they have supported to completion are an essential piece of that equation.

Assuming this footage is captured on a PS4 or high-end PC, since you always want to show your best footage, how do we think the Switch SKU for Rime will look? Near Xbox One, or worse?

Assuming this footage is captured on a PS4 or high-end PC, since you always want to show your best footage, how do we think the Switch SKU for Rime will look? Near Xbox One, or worse?

The Switch is barely more powerful than a Wii U, so it's going to look like a slightly beefed up Wii U game at best, assuming a competent downport. Nowhere near close to Xbox One.

RPGCrazied

Sure, sure. This is coming out in less than five months, though. With that knowledge, this game is near-complete.

But like you said, they probably want to show the best looking footage possible, I'm going to guess that trailer was PC.

I'm sure it will, but I hope I can run this on a GTX 960 with a i5-6400.

Dariuas

RiME Community Manager
Just two very simple questions. :)

1: do you (Tequila Works) already have a Nintendo Switch development kit?
2: what length are you aiming for the game?

These are not simple!

1) Yes, and no, I won't share pictures of it, sorry. :)
2) We have not yet revealed how long the game will be.

Uh, no. The socio-economic struggles of low-income families are a widespread, public, well-researched, well-documented concern. The quality of Sony-supported vs. Sony-dropped games is based on a tiny sample size and a limited knowledge of the internal workings involved.

Way to miss the point and fail to argue against what I'm saying.

If you say "Sony dropped it so it must not be good," the implication is "If it were good, Sony would not have dropped it". That leads very naturally to an examination of games Sony has not, in fact, dropped, and how their support does or does not correlate to quality. The games they have supported to completion are an essential piece of that equation.

I'm not saying that a guarantee of quality is sufficient for SIE to continue funding a game. Of course, there could be other reasons why they would not despite a game being good: maybe their parent company needs funds and is removing them from SIE.

All I'm saying is that his post doesn't refute jack shit which is true. Go back to my example: you cannot refute the claim that that person is going to be in a low-paying job because his family is poor by saying that some children from rich families go into low-paying jobs too. They're different groups entirely.

Similarly, you cannot refute the claim that those abandoned games will be poor by pointing out that some of those which have not been abandoned will be poor. Maybe they will always have been regardless of Sony's involvement -- it still doesn't refute the conclusion.

After watching this I can't remember why I found this game exciting in the first place. I'm just getting a huge "been there, done that" impression from everything.

Dariuas

RiME Community Manager
Yeah, that's a bit unclear -- Dariuas, could you clarify what the relationship Grey Box and Six Foot have, if they are both publishers or one's a publisher and one's a product rep or if any are development partners with Tequila Works?

Great question! Obviously Tequila Works is the developer, Grey Box is the publishing brand, and Six Foot is the people that run it. I am a Six Foot employee working on Team Grey Box.

Top Bottom