• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rime Re-Reveal gameplay trailer (PC/PS4/XB1/Switch, May 2017)

jrush64

Banned
Time for GIFs:

Jesus, what's with all the catty comments? I realise manners are a rare luxury on the internet, but is it really necessary to be this bitchy about a game that hasn't even released yet?

Maybe some of them are just pissed off it's not a PS4 exclusive anymore.

oSoLucky

This is the type of game that really makes me want to get a 4k monitor. I'm fine with most at 1440p but these types of art benefit greatly from high resolution.

PaulloDEC

Oh was this not a gameplay trailer?

It was.

Assuming you aren't a time traveler, I don't really see how you can make a firm statement on a lack of originality having seen less than two minutes of the game.

Or maybe I'm wrong and they're just cleverly cutting around the female companion and the line puzzles.

Now let's go through the mistakes. 1. The original argument says that it is necessary for a game to be bad for it to be dropped. The counterargument says that it is sufficient. Those premises are not logically equivalent. 2. The counterargument makes an incorrect conclusion. All it has shown is that it is not sufficient for games to be bad to be dropped. It has not shown that the games which are dropped are not bad and it has not disproved the necessary condition in the original argument.

Depends on how you interpret the framing. If you show that Sony has fully published bad games that did not meet expectations, it is a question on the reliability of Sony's judgement about what is bad and good and whether Sony even cares. On the counter side, we don't have enough evidence about the games that Sony did can. Remember Me is actually pretty decent and was everything that was promised. LA noire was good. So, it follows that Sony very much did withdraw funding for good games. There has also been scenarios where the games canned did turn out bad. The only thing left to assume is Sony canning funding is not a statement of quality. It's only a statement that the game has exceeded the amount in which Sony was willing to allocate for it.

Oh was this not a gameplay trailer?
Yes, and saying the game has zero originality based off of it is ridiculous.

If I wanted to refute it, I could just point out how stuff like changing the state of the world on a grand scale with environmental objects is already one thing that's not in Ico or Witness

Ratrat

The Witness wasn't even released by the time this was announced. -_- Come on man.
It clearly doesnt have the Witness's gameplay. I meant the aesthetic. TLG and Witness are the last games Ive played so it just jumps out that much more. Eveything else about Rime screams Team Ico. And it just seems your standard fare here. Im looking at Pray for the Gods ands it also just the same story. Games like Journey and Brothers immediately looked different while still taking inspiration. Its kind of like all those Souls clones and how you can split them into two camps.

Yes, and saying the game has zero originality based off of it is ridiculous.

If I wanted to refute it, I could just point out how stuff like changing the state of the world on a grand scale with environmental objects is already one thing that's not in Ico or Witness
Is that a central mechanic? If it is it could be interesting. Otherwise, I never meant it was a puzzle for puzzle clone.

Time for GIFs:
Jesus, what's with all the catty comments? I realise manners are a rare luxury on the internet, but is it really necessary to be this bitchy about a game that hasn't even released yet?

Manners for what? A product? Is Rime going to cry if someone calls it an Ico clone?

Personally I'll wait and see with this game. The original fuckery pushed me to an after launch buy. I need to see more direct gameplay and impressions as well considering their track record.

Maybe some of them are just pissed off it's not a PS4 exclusive anymore.

That's basically when people started shifting on it.

That it appears to actually be a game and actually releasing is no doubt a shock to all the people who were convinced it was some dead tower defense game.

Glad to see this is still a thing and has a specific release date!!

I will be cautious and wait for reviews, but I am incredibly excited for this!!

PaulloDEC

It clearly doesnt have the Witness's gameplay. I meant the aesthetic. TLG and Witness are the last games Ive played so it just jumps out that much more. Eveything else about Rime screams Team Ico. And it just seems your standard fare here. Im looking at Pray for the Gods ands it also just the same story. Games like Journey and Brothers immediately looked different while still taking inspiration. Its kind of like all those Souls clones and how you can split them into two camps.

I can't fault you for seeing similarities, but when it comes to Ico, what really made that game stand out? The connection with Yorda and the atmosphere of that lonely castle environment were the two features that come to mind for me, neither of which seems to play into Rime.

If we start branding any third-person exploration/puzzle game as an "Ico clone", we'll find ourselves in the same place reviewers did in the early 90s when "Doom clone" became a thing.

Manners for what? A product? Is Rime going to cry if someone calls it an Ico clone?

The poster essentially called the developers talentless try-hards. Based on nothing.

Seemed uncool to me.

Ratrat

I can't fault you for seeing similarities, but when it comes to Ico, what really made that game stand out? The connection with Yorda and the atmosphere of that lonely castle environment were the two features that come to mind for me, neither of which seems to play into Rime.

If we start branding any third-person exploration/puzzle game as an "Ico clone", we'll find ourselves in the same place reviewers did in the early 90s when "Doom clone" became a thing.

The poster essentially called the developers talentless try-hards. Based on nothing.

Seemed uncool to me.
I dont think there was a single website that didnt mention the Ico(which can be shorthand for Team Ico/GenDesign at this point) similarity when this was revealed. And its not like the devs have denied inspiration. I've browsed some interviews and it does seem like there are more systems at play than the trailer suggests. But they were channeling Team Ico HARD with this trailer.

This is clearly not 'any' 3rd person puzzler. The design of the boy is very similar to TLG. The music goes for a similar emotional pull, the sparseness of the environment and sense of isolation. And as others have mentioned, there are visual motifs of Journey etc.

PaulloDEC

I dont think there was a single website that didnt mention the Ico(which can be shorthand for Team Ico/GenDesign at this point) similarity when this was revealed. And its not like the devs have denied inspiration. I've browsed some interviews and it does seem like there are more systems at play than the trailer suggests. But they were channeling Team Ico HARD with this trailer.

Like I said, I see why yourself and others are making the connection. What interests me is what elements of Team Ico's work are we really seeing repeated here, and of those elements, which can really be said to be unique to Team Ico?

People can be quick to claim Rime is a clone or a ripoff, but I'm not sure Team Ico really own the idea of 3D puzzle/exploration games with young male protagonists. There's a difference between having similarities and being a copy.

This is clearly not 'any' 3rd person puzzler. The design of the boy is very similar to TLG. The music goes for a similar emotional pull, the sparseness of the environment and sense of isolation. And as others have mentioned, there are visual motifs of Journey etc.

The boy I'll grant you, but emotive music is nothing new. The environments actually felt quite distinct to me; Team Ico's work tends to have a very solemn feel, with lots of desaturated colours and grimy textures. Rime feels quite different to me, with loads of bright, bold colours and cleaner, more stylised textures. The world also seems to be teeming with life, which is a big change from Ico at least (which I played for the first time very recently).

That's just me, though.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Again, neither of those games were released when this was announced, and this game was in development before their last project was even released. There's inspiration from Team Ico undoubtedly, but to say there's no originality is straight up shitposting. Did the devs kick your puppy?

Ratrat

Like I said, I see why yourself and others are making the connection. What interests me is what elements of Team Ico's work are we really seeing repeated here, and of those elements, which can really be said to be unique to Team Ico?

People can be quick to claim Rime is a clone or a ripoff, but I'm not sure Team Ico really own the idea of 3D puzzle/exploration games with young male protagonists. There's a difference between having similarities and being a copy.

The boy I'll grant you, but emotive music is nothing new. The environments actually felt quite distinct to me; Team Ico's work tends to have a very solemn feel, with lots of desaturated colours and grimy textures. Rime feels quite different to me, with loads of bright, bold colours and cleaner, more stylised textures. The world also seems to be teeming with life, which is a big change from Ico at least (which I played for the first time very recently).

That's just me, though.
Right. All im saying is it IS inspired by it and they perhaps even amplified it for the trailer. Who wouldn't want their game to be compared to Ico, Journey, Windwaker, The Witness? Its not like the press and people in this thread are pulling the comparison from their ass to be malicious.

Again, neither of those games were released when this was announced. There's inspiration undoubtedly, but to say there's no originality is straight up shitposting. Did the devs kick your puppy?
Hey, now. I've admitted the game seems to have more to offer than whats displayed here. Only someone absolutely deluded is going to watch this and think they weren't trying to draw flattering comparisons to beloved games. The trailer could have maybe focused on its original gameplay systems instead of trying to looks like other games.

Vespa

I'm confused; what's up with all the people claiming a "downgrade" or suggesting there's been a shift in art style?

Did everyone miss the Gamescom 2014 trailer? Because this looks very, very similar to that, with the exception of a less punchy colour-grade on the new video.

The Gamescom trailer is sooooo so good, the music paired with those visuals is sublime.

The only thing that looks a little different is the low cloud cover around the tower, adds a nice element of mystery that's not in the newer trailer, also the rain effect looks less heavy but these could be just different parts of the game. Overall the art style still looks on point and I wish the team all the best on making the gameplay match the visuals.

The 30 seconds looked like a blend but then it picked up ok a got way. Surprised. Really hope it comes out as promised this time.

At this point I think I'll need to see actual gameplay, as in footage of a person playing the game, before I'm ready to believe. It looks as good as ever, but after hearing it was such a big scam I can't trust it.

Right. All im saying is it IS inspired by it and they perhaps even amplified it for the trailer. Who wouldn't want their game to be compared to Ico, Journey, Windwaker, The Witness? Its not like the press and people in this thread are pulling the comparison from their ass to be malicious.

Hey, now. I've admitted the game seems to have more to offer than whats displayed here. Only someone absolutely deluded is going to watch this and think they weren't trying to draw flattering comparisons to beloved games. The trailer could have maybe focused on its original gameplay systems instead of trying to looks like other games.
It's a 3D platformer-puzzler. It isn't trying to look like other games. It just does because of the genre. Is The Witness trying to look like Myst when it shows first-person exploration and puzzles on a weird island, or Dying Island like Mirrors Edge for showing its first person parkour gameplay?

Games in similar genres will have similar looking gameplay

Humdinger

Catty comments are easy, and they make you feel clever -- and so a lot of people use them, almost like a reflex.

Plus, this game does have a checkered history, so people are more cynical than usual. I can understand that. I'm skeptical myself. Still, it does look potentially charming and unique. It probably won't be a perfect masterpiece, but it may be worth playing.

seat

Still interested in this title, but that character design of the protagonist has got to go. A generic Ico-ish fantasy boy with a mullet is low-rent, and that flat cel-shaded face is like a lifeless Wind Waker Link without any of the charm or character.

Brofield

In for Switch, but I'm hoping I'm right in staying optimistic after reading all the stuff on page one about the development history

Dariuas

RiME Community Manager
Well, it's been rated, and it's coming out in a few months, so presumably it's basically done.

While the game is in a great state, one that we were ready to reveal, it is still going through polish, optimization and bug fixes. So done in the sense that we can play through the game beginning to end yes, but we need to make sure it is in the best possible state before May.

The puzzles actually remind me somewhat of some of the better mega-environment puzzles from the God of War series (wherein a bunch of smaller elements come together to form something bigger). Also done a little bit in Ico (the light reflectors puzzle), but perhaps more memorably with God of War's main huge dungeon on the Titan's back).

This looks appealing to me, but I hope the emotional/presentation/story hooks are enough to give it replay value like the games it's referencing. That'll be the real test of this game. Definitely buying it day one unless reviews are surprisingly off though.

AgeEighty

Yeah, you're not actually showing how the logic is different. Instead you're ranting about data like you have a screw loose.

No, I explained precisely why the two examples are different. It's not my fault you're refusing to acknowledge this.

One more time, let's drill into your head.

The argument:

Sony only drops bad games.

Sony dropped Rime.

Rime is a bad game.

Counterargument

If a game is bad, Sony will drop it.

XYZ game is bad but Sony did not drop it.

Therefore games dropped by Sony are not bad.

Thank you for mapping out precisely how and where you are misunderstanding the discussion. That makes things much easier for me.

Throw out your counterargument, because it's not accurate to what's been said here. Allow me to correct you:

Counterargument

The correlation between Sony dropping a game and it being bad is questionable. (Re the argument: "Sony only drops bad games.")

Not all games they have dropped have been bad, and not all games they have not dropped have been good.

Therefore games dropped by Sony are not necessarily bad.

The nuance of the word "necessarily" there is important, though it may not line up with your simplistic black-and-white understanding of what's being said here. And the "games they have not dropped" part of that is relevant in that line of logic.

Understand yet?

Vasili2K38

This last trailer looks good, but after the rocky development and the leaked info about the first mockup video, I'll very cautious about this one. We'll see when the game is released.

higemaru

That was a pretty cool trailer. I hope the game turns out good especially considering the troubled development. I'd love to see more games like this come out.

Mifune

Mehmber
My first reaction was, "what happened to the visuals?" But then I rewatched earlier trailers and the graphics aren't THAT far off.

I know there's been a lot of bad tidings behind the scenes, and Tequila Works doesn't have the best track record, but a bright colorful adventure game with zero combat has my attention.

So I guess I'm cautiously optimistic.

Top Bottom