• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RIP PSN account. Hello Sony Entertainment Network (SEN) account.

noah111

Still Alive
What will they be doing to the PSN ball XMB icon? Is that whole logo going to get scrapped now? I remember people hating it when it first came out anyway, but it's grown on most people, I think.

Are you guys sure this is going down the way you think?

PSN will still be called PSN. For example game cases will still have the PSN title. It's just that PSN now falls under the SEN umbrella.

Come on guys.

EDIT- Just read that eurogamer link. So the name is actually changing? Shit.

And we're getting an update? Jeff ruby redeemed?

androvsky

I received mine just now.

It clearly states: As a part of this update, your “PlayStation®Network account” will be renamed a “Sony Entertainment Network account”

Yes, and it also says:
PlayStation Network will be aligned with “Sony Entertainment Network.”
Which would normally suggest the PlayStation network branding would still be around, it would just be integrated with SEN on other devices. Which is what I'd expect. On the other hand, since no one's quoted it yet...
Update: It's not just PlayStation Network accounts that will be renamed - the entire PSN platform will become Sony Entertainment Network, Sony has explained to Eurogamer.
If Eurogamer's source is right, then Sony decided to drop a huge branding change with an email and a couple days' notice.

Rolling multiple accounts into one is always good.

As for the name the could have somehow kept playstation in the name. It actually makes sense because you play music, movies, and games and one of their biggest pieces of hardware the PLAYstation has that word included. Even further, they could have just kept the name and merged all of their accounts under the PSN name. Then they could have marketed all of their online capable bluray players, set top boxes, tvs etc that use a Sony accounts as "Playstation Network Enabled" or "Powered by the Playstation Network". Plus it helps that a lot of people are already familiar with the Playstation name.

To summarize: Great idea, name change hurt a marketing opportunity.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
I would like it if this made my PC premium DCUO account and character available on the PS3 version.

If Valve can link the accounts, why cant Sony?

Withnail

Eurogamer news writers are not a credible source unfortunately. I guess we'll all have to wait till either Sony blogs about it or the new firmware is released.

I still think they'll keep the PSN branding, but we'll be logging in to PSN with a SEN account.

Eurogamer news writers are not a credible source unfortunately. I guess we'll all have to wait till either Sony blogs about it or the new firmware is released.

I still think they'll keep the PSN branding, but we'll be logging in to PSN with a SEN account.

Yes i think this is the way it will be. Eurogamer just confused things for me. But i bet it's going to be what i originally said.

Rolling multiple accounts into one is always good.

As for the name the could have somehow kept playstation in the name. It actually makes sense because you play music, movies, and games and one of their biggest pieces of hardware the PLAYstation has that word included. Even further, they could have just kept the name and merged all of their accounts under the PSN name. Then they could have marketed all of their online capable bluray players, set top boxes, tvs etc that use a Sony accounts as "Playstation Network Enabled" or "Powered by the Playstation Network". Plus it helps that a lot of people are already familiar with the Playstation name.

To summarize: Great idea, name change hurt a marketing opportunity.

Yeah, Sony consolidating is good but it's weird that they're okay with using the PlayStation branding on other hardware (i.e. PlayStation Certified phones) but they're sort of downplaying the name on their network services. Maybe it does have everything to do with the bad PR from the hack.

patsu

Eurogamer can still be right. PSN may have been updated at the backend to be like SEN. It's been happening for sometime now. But at the frontend, PSN will still be marketed.

Try to separate tech and business needs. They can be different sometimes.

patsu

Yeah, Sony consolidating is good but it's weird that they're okay with using the PlayStation branding on other hardware (i.e. PlayStation Certified phones) but they're sort of downplaying the name on their network services. Maybe it does have everything to do with the bad PR from the hack.

Probably a side effect. Playstation is a richer and more focused experience. If they are porting old PS games to PS Suite, then they can't run away from that name on third party devices anyway.

Sony is a broader name and it is tied to the corporate identity. So calling the combined network, Sony EN, makes sense.

patsu

Not until we can run proper HTML5 on PS3 :p

You can already run some HTML5 apps on PS3 via their Skinny App SDK. The PS3 NetFlix, Hulu Plus, NHL App, and many other non-games are HTML apps.

On a broad level, it may mean Sony Entertainment Network widgets are generally HTML5 apps. And PS Suite apps are Mono-based.

androvsky

And the people ignoring Eurogamer's update because they don't trust them to get anything right...
Update #2: Sony has contacted Eurogamer to amend the earlier statement, which we now know to have been missing a word.
Unfortunately that word, "account", changes the meaning when added.
The statement becomes: "It's just an account name change and will be called SEN from now on. Should make it clearer and easier for people to associate the service with all Sony products and have one log-in."

AndyD

aka andydumi
Ah cool. I can use same login account on any future sony devices rather than just PS devices.

That is neat. I guess they want you to use the same login on Vita, a phone, a TV at home and so forth, google style. I guess cloud features may be coming on a larger scale to share across all devices.

patsu

And the people ignoring Eurogamer's update because they don't trust them to get anything right...

They will have to combine the backend regardless. At least to avoid (future) login name clashes and duplication with accounts on other SEN devices.

Sorry to bump an old thread, i almost made a new one but I didn't want to crap up the boards.

I've seen a lot of people refer to the PSN as SEN. This isn't correct. What you use on your playstation (and vita, and psp...) is the Playstation Network (PSN). Your account is a Sony Entertainment Network account (SEN).

I see a lot of people talk about going on the SEN to play games or download games. Maybe they are joking, i don't know, but it does seem that a lot of people are confused about this.

Think about it this way. When you get an xbox 360 you sign in with your Windows Live account to make an Xbox live account. It's one in the same on the 360, but when you are on the 360 you are on Xbox Live. But when you sign into other sites microsoft runs you are using your Windows Live account. Windows Live = master account. Xbox Live = a service you use your Windows Live account on. No one is talking about "Im gonna go play COD on Windows Live." It's the same exact situation with SEN/PSN.

Get it? Good :D

(sorry, all of those posts were driving me nuts)

Sorry to bump an old thread, i almost made a new one but I didn't want to crap up the boards.

I've seen a lot of people refer to the PSN as SEN. This isn't correct. What you use on your playstation (and vita, and psp...) is the Playstation Network (PSN). Your account is a Sony Entertainment Network account (SEN).

I see a lot of people talk about going on the SEN to play games or download games. Maybe they are joking, i don't know, but it does seem that a lot of people are confused about this.

Think about it this way. When you get an xbox 360 you sign in with your Windows Live account to make an Xbox live account. It's one in the same on the 360, but when you are on the 360 you are on Xbox Live. But when you sign into other sites microsoft runs you are using your Windows Live account. Windows Live = master account. Xbox Live = a service you use your Windows Live account on. No one is talking about "Im gonna go play COD on Windows Live." It's the same exact situation with SEN/PSN.

Get it? Good :D

(sorry, all of those posts were driving me nuts)

Makes sense now, thanks.

AndyD

aka andydumi
What will they be doing to the PSN ball XMB icon? Is that whole logo going to get scrapped now? I remember people hating it when it first came out anyway, but it's grown on most people, I think.

I dont mind the icon, i just mind the colors are fixed.

Top Bottom