• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RIP THQ/Toy Head-Quarters (1989-2013)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
It's become pretty clear in the other thread that it's now over.

Let us remember the company fondly for the many great games and many great risks they were willing to take in their final days.

Thank you for WWF Smackdown, THQ.

You made my chilldhood. Waiting at my local store every day, waiting for the copies and sequels to be shipped to the store; it became my "Super Bowl" moment. It was my "Call of Duty". I had those hourly dial-up internet connections, and all I would do is go to IGN and download a 56k video of an off-screen gameplay from the next game. It'll be a one minute clip but it was so worth it. The slow reveal was too much for me to handle.

I even moderated a fansite/forum, and it was a lot of fun providing the news, leaks and more as it came through. Every additional would be amazing. Create a Wrestler, Create an Entrance, Story mode, Backstage wrestling, Royal Rumble with more than 4 wrestlers in stage, Elimination Chamber, TLC, and so much more. This was my Counter-Strike, this was my DOTA 2. I've spend more hours in WWE games that I ever will in any other, ever.

I was 13.

I'm now 26.

Last month, I decided to purchase Season Pass for WWE 13' even though I know I'll never play it as much as I did when I was a kid. I guess it was a way of ending the journey with a personal closure that I had experienced their last title to the fullest. It saddens me but it also gives me hope that their legacy will forever be a platform; a benchmark for future titles.

So thank you, THQ. As DieH@rd said: "Rest In Piece, THQ".

This whole last year has been a bummer, especially since they'd been putting out some quality games. Loved Saints Row, de Blob, and many many others.

EDIT: I had no idea about the Toy Head Quarters abbreviation either.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
RIP THQ, you guys sure did some good things and will always have my respect for trying to be something different than the others.

MIeVu.jpg

someone colour these red

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Thanks for daring and bringing us some new IPs these past few years. Some of them were failures, others of them were successes in my book. You'll be missed, fellas.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
RIP THQ, thank you.

Red Faction Guerrilla and the entire Saints Row trilogy have been some of my favorite games this generation. Thank you Volition, I hope you land somewhere that treats you right.

udivision

That's what it meant? Wow.
I always thought it was Rest In Piece, not Rest in Peace. You learn something new everyday.

jajajajaja
WWF on N64... good times.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Your licensed stuff was garbage, but it was entertaining garbage. Then you went on to actually make really good games. And now you're gone.

Here's to years of entertainment from whatever form you provided it in, THQ. Sad to see another old company go. :(

Razyl

Thank you THQ!

Thank you for many IPs, especially for Saint's Row, Darksiders and Dawn of War. :)

Rest in Peace :(

Thank you for WWF Smackdown and Saints Row: The Third. And as a newsie games journalist who pounced on every news tidbit he dropped, thank you for Danny Bilson. x

inky

I got Darksiders 2 as a gift for Christmas. Still haven't played it, but that is officially my last THQ game =/

I appreciate you guys took a massive risk a few years back to bring original stuff. I'm sad it didn't pay off.

Glass Rebel

What a sad, sad day.

Thank you for introducing me to Warhammer 40k, thanks for Company of Heroes, thanks for Darksiders, thanks for Saints Row, thanks for Metro.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I found out what THQ stood for last night, never knew that lol. Anyone remember Full Spectrum Warrior? Such a great, and underrated game.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Also thanks for going down swinging, for all the drama the THQ bundle caused it was a hell of a great move and your insanely well discounted pack on steam was a pure steal.

Top Bottom