• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RIP Vigil Games (2005-2013)

scitek

You should know that regardless of my opinion on the flaws the game had, the combat was undeniably an area where the game excelled. You guys will be missed, and I hope you land somewhere working on something that can utilize your talents well. Best of luck to you.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
BAD FUCKING ASS

tjQs4kN.png

Ly6Mt6S.png

Wish there was a 3rd and 4th BFA to go along with it =/

Thanks for Plains of Death by Jesper, I have that shit on Loop on my iTunes at the moment

Tymerend

Oh wow. This really, really sucks.

Darksiders 2 may not have been received by a lot of people as well as the first game, but I had a great time. And at the very least, both of those games had some of the best voice acting I've heard this gen.

Michael Wincott as the new Nolan North, please.

I want to play in that universe more, and it sucks I most likely won't be able to. Hell, I even read the novel. Death as a character was great.

Well, best of luck to everyone at the studio, they all deserve the best in the future, whether together as a group or separately.

I wonder what number of companies connected to Joe Mad that have crashed and burned this makes. 2? 3? With all the dosh he made off of X-Men he could have bought that fucking studio himself. Even though I didn't like the series it would have been interesting to see where they would have taken the plot had it become a franchise

You should know that regardless of my opinion on the flaws the game had, the combat was undeniably an area where the game excelled. You guys will be missed, and I hope you land somewhere working on something that can utilize your talents well. Best of luck to you.
Possessed weaponry was a stroke of genius too. Such a simple and rewarding crafting/tuning system.

Other loot games now feel like they're missing something.

yeah this is too bad but Darksiders 2 was boring and I was really looking more forward to a direct sequel. I also really preferred the Zelda aspects over the Diablo ones.

I find Diablo style games to be pretty shallow and dull.

So who owns the Darksiders IP?

GraveRobberX

Possessed weaponry was a stroke of genius too.

The glitch to keep feeding and duping Possessed weaponry was more awesome

I spent countless hours adding and subtracting weapons to my hearts desire to get builds that I would enjoy lol

Wish that could continue on...

rankor

Neo Member
P.S. This is no place for a horse.

Now I fell really bad, I laughed a little here.

Im also really sad, Darksiders 1/2 is an awesome game, I really hoped to see 2 more games from Vigil studio. Im not losing that hope for now, since as You wrote the poeple who made previous games still exist, and who knows what will happen in the future. Take care and thanks for all the work :)

My name is Ben Cureton, and I was the Lead Combat Designer at Vigil Games. I'm sitting at my desk among... what appears to be a warzone. The walls look bare. It's quiet.

The seats are empty.

We've all been on edge for the past couple months... and more so, the last couple weeks. I mean, I'm sure you can imagine what it's like to wonder if you will have a job tomorrow. Most of us here joked about it just to keep the mood light, but we all knew what could happen. Now I look around and I realize... it did happen.

Am I sad? Well yea. I've been in this industry for 20 years. Seriously. Two decades. I've been laid off more than once. It sucks every time. But am I sad I don't have a job? Not really... I'm sure I'll get another one eventually. I'm sad because it won't be THIS job. It won't be at Vigil. That's why I'm sad. The people I waged war with are no longer together. The people that I bled with, vented with, argued with (often times LOUDLY), and kicked back with... these people will never be together again in the same combination.

Not that it was perfect. But what is perfect? Did I like coming to work? Yes. Was I proud of the work that I did? Yes. More importantly, was I proud of the work that WE did? Absolutely. I knew, without a shadow of the doubt, that the project we were working on (Codenamed: Crawler) was going to blow people away. In fact, it DID blow people away. We did, in TWO months, what many companies haven't done in a year. The pride of knowing that no one was doing anything like us was so satisfying, it kept us coming to work and giving 100% every single day, even through the dark times.

... so maybe you can imagine what it feels like when you read the list of who bought what only to discover your name is not on the list. Why? Did we do something wrong? Were we not good enough? Were we not worth 'anything?' Imagine that.

Vigil was filled with people that I would put up against the best in the industry. People that made my work better, people that made me a better designer, and people that made me a better person. And now they are gone.

Their seats are empty.

It's OK, though. I guess this post makes it sound a bit melodramatic. Seriously... if you work in the video game industry you have to be resilient. Doing what you love often comes with a price - anyone who has been around for a while can tell you that. Today, that price has been paid. That being said, I'd still never dissuade anyone from following their dreams if their dream is to make video games. While it's not as romantic as it sounds, it's sure a hell of a lot of fun.

So don't cry for the people at Vigil. We made games for game players. I have no Horror stories from working here... only Honor stories. Through both praise and critiques alike, our goal was always to make a product as if we, ourselves, were the end-user. We may have gotten pushed and pulled in certain directions by forces out of our control, we were always in it to make games for game players. And that's what we did.

I can only hope that those spared from the other companies remain employed long into the future. There is not much worse than false hope, and these people deserve to continue making great games. You may not know their names, but they exist, and they bleed, sweat, and cry for your entertainment. I mean that honestly, with no negativity. They do it... no, WE do it... because we want you to have a good time.

In closing, I can only say thank you to the fans of Vigil games. Your support means more than you can imagine. Your feedback (both positive and negative) gave us long-lasting insight that we will all take with us, wherever we may go. You are the reason we made Darksiders 1 &2... and you are the reason we will continue to make games.

And with that... my seat is empty.

Ben Cureton
Lead Combat Designer
Vigil Games

applause.jpg

Thanks for the amazing games.

GraveRobberX

I seriously thought WB would by Vigil and DS

Can use it under their DC banner to boot to publish comic books too
Oh wells

Hell I would of liked you get SE'd like how they took over Sleeping Dogs and made that shit awesome

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
My name is Ben Cureton, and I was the Lead Combat Designer at Vigil Games. I'm sitting at my desk among... what appears to be a warzone. The walls look bare. It's quiet.

The seats are empty.

We've all been on edge for the past couple months... and more so, the last couple weeks. I mean, I'm sure you can imagine what it's like to wonder if you will have a job tomorrow. Most of us here joked about it just to keep the mood light, but we all knew what could happen. Now I look around and I realize... it did happen.

Am I sad? Well yea. I've been in this industry for 20 years. Seriously. Two decades. I've been laid off more than once. It sucks every time. But am I sad I don't have a job? Not really... I'm sure I'll get another one eventually. I'm sad because it won't be THIS job. It won't be at Vigil. That's why I'm sad. The people I waged war with are no longer together. The people that I bled with, vented with, argued with (often times LOUDLY), and kicked back with... these people will never be together again in the same combination.

Not that it was perfect. But what is perfect? Did I like coming to work? Yes. Was I proud of the work that I did? Yes. More importantly, was I proud of the work that WE did? Absolutely. I knew, without a shadow of the doubt, that the project we were working on (Codenamed: Crawler) was going to blow people away. In fact, it DID blow people away. We did, in TWO months, what many companies haven't done in a year. The pride of knowing that no one was doing anything like us was so satisfying, it kept us coming to work and giving 100% every single day, even through the dark times.

... so maybe you can imagine what it feels like when you read the list of who bought what only to discover your name is not on the list. Why? Did we do something wrong? Were we not good enough? Were we not worth 'anything?' Imagine that.

Vigil was filled with people that I would put up against the best in the industry. People that made my work better, people that made me a better designer, and people that made me a better person. And now they are gone.

Their seats are empty.

It's OK, though. I guess this post makes it sound a bit melodramatic. Seriously... if you work in the video game industry you have to be resilient. Doing what you love often comes with a price - anyone who has been around for a while can tell you that. Today, that price has been paid. That being said, I'd still never dissuade anyone from following their dreams if their dream is to make video games. While it's not as romantic as it sounds, it's sure a hell of a lot of fun.

So don't cry for the people at Vigil. We made games for game players. I have no Horror stories from working here... only Honor stories. Through both praise and critiques alike, our goal was always to make a product as if we, ourselves, were the end-user. We may have gotten pushed and pulled in certain directions by forces out of our control, we were always in it to make games for game players. And that's what we did.

I can only hope that those spared from the other companies remain employed long into the future. There is not much worse than false hope, and these people deserve to continue making great games. You may not know their names, but they exist, and they bleed, sweat, and cry for your entertainment. I mean that honestly, with no negativity. They do it... no, WE do it... because we want you to have a good time.

In closing, I can only say thank you to the fans of Vigil games. Your support means more than you can imagine. Your feedback (both positive and negative) gave us long-lasting insight that we will all take with us, wherever we may go. You are the reason we made Darksiders 1 &2... and you are the reason we will continue to make games.

Ben Cureton
Lead Combat Designer
Vigil Games

Well, time to go into a corner and cry some manly tears.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
Hey Ben, sad read :(

I know the feeling all too well having been laid off from THQ in the initial round of studio axing back in 2009.

I commented in another thread that I wasn't surprised that Vigil didn't picked up... which was by no means a reflection of the quality of the studio; just a somber assessment of what projects were currently known to be in the pipeline and the fact that your studio's latest title had just shipped rather than having one getting ready to ship in the next few months.

To be honest, I'm glad Vigil had time enough to release two projects. I recall back when things were starting up down there that everyone in THQ recognized the promise and talent the studio had, and I wondered if you'd actually get the chance to put any games out considering THQ's situation.

Best of luck to you and the rest of the team there. It's no doubt a sad end to a talented bunch. I'm sure many of you will get picked up elsewhere and scatter throughout the industry, but it'll never be the same group making the same cool stuff day in and day out.

You may not know their names, but they exist, and they bleed, sweat, and cry for your entertainment. I mean that honestly, with no negativity. They do it... no, WE do it... because we want you to have a good time.

Found these two thoughts particularly poignant.

Damn...having just gotten into Darksiders 1 since getting it from the THQ Humble Bundle, this news truly sucks.

Best of luck to all the talented folks at Vigil.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death

The seats are empty.

Their seats are empty.

Ben Cureton
Lead Combat Designer
Vigil Games

Thanks for your contribution and I look forward to your next big thing.

Reallink

My name is Ben Cureton, and I was the Lead Combat Designer at Vigil Games. I'm sitting at my desk among... what appears to be a warzone. The walls look bare. It's quiet......

Ben Cureton
Lead Combat Designer
Vigil Games

Any ideas why you guys couldn't find a buyer? Was the studio and and IP even on the auction? Were there a bunch of costly stipulations for a sell (e.g. maintain current lease/location, personnel, and salaries)? Did you guys lose a lot of your key talent during and post DS2?

Omikaru

The seats are empty.

Their seats are empty.

Ben Cureton
Lead Combat Designer
Vigil Games

Good luck to you and your former co-workers. I really hope things work out for all of you.

XenoRaven

The seats are empty.

Their seats are empty.

Ben Cureton
Lead Combat Designer
Vigil Games

Thanks for everything, Ben. Both to you and all of your co-workers. You guys made something really special and I hope everyone lands on their feet. Vigil will be missed.

derFeef

I don't know much about the situation, but maybe relic has place for some of the Vigil people? They seemed to have a relationship anyway.

Blades64

Banned

The seats are empty.

Their seats are empty.

Ben Cureton
Lead Combat Designer
Vigil Games

Awe man.... :( :( :( This is too much...Was really looking forward to Darksiders 3 and 4 and anything! Crap!

KageMaru

Teared up a little reading this. It's disgusting that people with such passion are overlooked in this industry.

Best of luck to everyone from Vigil. :'(

The seats are empty.

Their seats are empty.

Ben Cureton
Lead Combat Designer
Vigil Games

Honestly, I really hope that you find gainful employment quickly. People can hate on the pacing all they want but your (and the combat teams) work is by far one of the best out a western studio this generation and you didn't need a Japanese developer holding your hand every step of the way.

I would love to hear you had started work on a big action franchise, or even a new action ip in the future. You are one of my most respective devs. Good luck and god speed.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
But ... but someone has to make Darksiders 3?!

:(

well for now most of the IPs are still with THQ corpse (including Red Faction) and they will have to sell them, so it's most likely that very soon publishers will likely bite on those IPs for cheap.hopefully Darksiders end up with good a developer/publisher.

secondratesaint

Neo Member

The seats are empty.

Their seats are empty.

Ben Cureton
Lead Combat Designer
Vigil Games

Darksiders and Darksiders 2 were among my favorite games of this generation, and to know that we won't be seeing any more makes my heart hurt. The world created, the characters established, the leaps and bounds in quality and content between the first and second... this is a squandered opportunity.

Best of luck to you, Ben, and the rest of the crew at Vigil. Here's hoping to meet you at EVO. I wanna buy you a drink and shake your hand.

Top Bottom