• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RIP Vigil Games (2005-2013)

Image%202013-01-24%20at%2012.10.29%20AM.png

Google Translate gives me:

Seriously "DARKSIDERS" in the auction sale of THQ Studio & IP rose I remained unsold. Cheap ... I want to buy ...

Here's a better translation I just did:

At THQ's studios and IPs piecemeal auction... they say Darksiders remained unsold...really?

I want to buy it...it's so cheap...

I'd love to see Platinum work on Darksiders 3.

... nice edit.

Didn't know what I was thinking there. Good thing not many people caught that.

Fox Mulder

This fucking sucks. Seriously these are the guys who get left behind? Somehow Homefront keeps going instead of Darksiders??? Tragic.

Homefront was a pile of shit, but it still managed to sell over a million copies. Crytek also has the Timesplitters IP, yet they make sequels to boring games.

I can't believe no one picked up Vigil, clearly a bunch of very talented people.

Just read tragic's (Ben's) post and want to wish you all the best of luck. I haven't played through Darksiders, but will rectify that very soon - a franchise that I've heard so much praise for.

muu

Platinum acquires brand and staff, Nintendo provides funds for publishing and becomes WiiU exclusive. "Nintendo stole Darksiders!"

Dahbomb

Best case scenario = entire Vigil becomes part of Platinum, with Darksiders IP in their possession
God... if you are listening... if you are even there... please for the love of humanity and all things good... let this best case scenario come to light.

Real talk though I would have to imagine that Darksiders would get an art style change if it went with Platinum.

I dunno that Platinum has that much money, guys.

Buying the studio and IP, maybe, maybe. But then keeping it running, dealing with organizational problems you have from adding on that many employees in an entirely different country, speaking an entirely different language, all to take on a series that has never made money before to a company that has never self-published their own game?

It's not like you just saying "Oh, I need a DVD player, I should go buy one" and then you buy one.

bgbball31

I would be ecstatic if Platinum ends up with the Darksiders IP. Darksiders style game in terms of atmosphere, weapons, and dungeons, but with Platinum's take on the combat? Yes, please.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol

Buying the studio and IP, maybe, maybe. But then keeping it running, dealing with organizational problems you have from adding on that many employees in an entirely different country, speaking an entirely different language, all to take on a series that has never made money before to a company that has never self-published their own game?

It's not like you just saying "Oh, I need a DVD player, I should go buy one" and then you buy one.

Tag quote.

But seriously, I could see PG buying the Darksiders IP and hiring a few key staffers from Vigil (if they wanted to go to work for a Japanese developer, like you said, language barrier and all). But nothing more than that.

Mdk7

Fuck this shitty industry... how come NOBODY even made an offer for them!?!?
They were crazy fucking awesome IMHO, this whole situation is just insane.

I am so terribly sorry.
For them as individuals, for them as a company, for the Darksiders franchise... this really, really sucks.
I'm with you guys!

Just one thing... as a testament of your sick talent, show us a glimpse of that project Crawler you were working on, just to make us proud of you for one last time.

Stop crushing their dreams.

markot

Banned
:(
Makes no sense to me that they wouldnt have gotten bought too... They have a good track record and are obviously capable...

rdrr gnr

Despite not playing either darksiders 1 and 2 (I've heard there good) I love platinum so this could be an awesome combo.
The lore and gameplay in both titles was just so close to being great. They were still working on the formula; now we will never know if it would have clicked.

Raxus

God... if you are listening... if you are even there... please for the love of humanity and all things good... let this best case scenario come to light.

Real talk though I would have to imagine that Darksiders would get an art style change if it went with Platinum.

Sexy Death? I am currently envisioning Bayonetta with a Death mask on.

jett

D-Member
Good luck to the guys at Vigil. I wonder if Inaba is being serious.

Man that letter in the OP is soul crushing. I don't understand how did nobody bid for them.

Good luck to the guys at Vigil. I wonder if Inaba is being serious.

Man that letter in the OP is soul crushing. I don't understand how did nobody bid for them.

I assume the bidders who were able to attend the hearing just didn't want it. Maybe they didn't see any future in the franchise...or they thought they can grab the franchise later on down the road.

scitek

I assume the bidders who were able to attend the hearing just didn't want it. Maybe they didn't see any future in the franchise...or they thought they can grab the franchise later on down the road.

I honestly think it just had more to do with the fact that they wouldn't have another game ready to ship for a while.

EDIT: NM, you're talking about Darksiders. Yeah, I think they don't see much potential in it after the sales of 2.

Top Bottom