• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of Nightmares screens (Sega + kinect + horror game) :|

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
On a more positive note, a feeling of helplessness is probably the most effective method to scare people in a horror game, and controlling it with Kinect is sure to accomplish that!

Reallink said:
Which is how a lot of people (possibly most) will be playing the game, so what's your point?

erm i was just wondering where they came from duder as i don't understand why anyone would publish screens that make their ugly game look even worse.

Not sure if this means it's free roaming or more Time Crisis-y.

And then you're off to explore this bloody, underground facility and punch monsters in the face. Rise of Nightmares is a game you'll have to stand up to play. To walk forward, you place your right foot in front of you. The game uses body tracking to look around, so to get a view of the environment or to turn around you have to swivel your whole torso. If you come across something interesting, you can hold out your hand to examine it. When a monster approaches, you raise your fists and literally duke it out with the beast.

Suzuki Yu

i think those pictures are looking better? different builds?

Rise-of-Nightmares-6-Copy.jpg

Rise-of-Nightmares-7-Copy.jpg

Rise-of-Nightmares-8-Copy.jpg

Rise-of-Nightmares-9.jpg

atre324

I gotta say, I didn't think it was looking that bad before but my standards for survival horror aren't particularly high, and now it actually looks pretty sweet. If I get a kinect in the next few months I will definitely be getting this.

Is there no gameplay footage for this yet? If this game is an old-school Sega arcade type of game (like HotD), it may make me finally buy Kinect.

I am serious.

atre324

digita1alchemy said:
Is there no gameplay footage for this yet? If this game is an old-school Sega arcade type of game (like HotD), it may make me finally buy Kinect.

I am serious.

I've been looking for footage but I did find this preview on the Guardian which has info on how the gameplay works. Looks like it isn't all on rails, that there will be exploration sections as well:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2011/jun/07/rise-of-nightmares-preview

So it's actually a first person beat-em-up with motion controls...

I'm still interested, lol. Needs some more time in the oven, though.

Alrus

Yeah while it's interesting they're trying for a pure kinect control scheme, it looks pretty inconvenient and convoluted =/ And the game looks bad.

Also, your character is a pair of forearm, there's no limbs. Wtf...

The gameplay looks horrible, absolutely nightmare-ish. This is the kind of title Kinect should have and seems to be the only one aiming for it but dang, it looks bad. Flying/disappering hands, ugh. At least some of the enemy designs are sort of good.

0miHw.gif

Suzuki Yu

i found out that Ryuta Ueda is actually highly involved with this game!

Rise of Nightmares
Game Director, Scenario Write, Art Work, etc
JSRF Jet Set Radio Future
Art Designer, Art Director, Script Write
Jet Set Radio
Art Designer, Art Director, Script Write
龍が如く 1~2 (Yakuza 1 & 2)
Game Director
Panzer Dragoon AZEL
Creature Design
Panzer Dragoon Zwei
Creature Design

http://ja-jp.facebook.com/ueda.ryuta

and if anyone curious to know , he is now working with SEGA's RPG team (SEGA CS3)

se04.jpg

http://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/20110611_452489.html

Top Bottom