• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider 20 Year Celebration - Review Thread

JJShadow

Nah, the Xbox One version had a different issue IIRC. Input lag. Which, curiously enough, wasn't present on the 360 and PC versions

Yeah, I've found this as well, didn't know how to describe it properly. There's definitely a certain lag/delay between you using the analog stick and the actual movement of Lara on screen

Is that like, people who haven't played the first one? Because I'm pushing the idea that it's mediocre without playing it (and subsequently, unwilling to put money towards it) but that's because I'd say the large majority of impressions I've read is that it's an improved game over the predecessor but largely similar. Some have even said that if you didn't enjoy the first one, you won't enjoy this one.

Those impressions don't exactly instill confidence for someone like me.

If you didn't like the first one, you might not like this one. That's a given. I'm more referring to the kind of people who wrote it off due to exclusivities and platform bickering.

Even PS4 version has inferior texture quality than pc version, strange.

Well, PS4 is weaker than enthusiast PCs. Texture quality should look (hopefully) just as good as PC on the 1080/30 higher settings Pro mode

MUnited83

For you.
Fingers crossed that now, since the game is on PS4, people will give it the fair shot it deserves. It got a lot of undeserved shit the last 10 months-ish. Awesome game.

Eh, I liked it well enough, but wouldn't call it awesome. The writing is terrible and the open world is pretty badly used, and the tombs are still not what they should be (albeit much better than the abomination the ones in TR2013 were)
It has better combat than Uncharted 4, i'll give it that.
Even PS4 version has inferior texture quality than pc version, strange.
How is that strange lol

kc44135

So, has anyone here played the game? Is it safe to say it's worth picking up if I loved the last game? I'm probably going to pick up this up anyway, just because I enjoyed the Reboot so much. Just looking for more opinions on it. Also, about how long is this game, because one of the trailers said 50+ hours!? Seems kinda insane for a Tomb Raider game.

Is there an update for Xbox One owners of the game? I have the base game but not the Season Pass/DLC, I'm wondering if the new additions are only for PlayStation owners.

I'm not sure if I'll pick this up on PC or PS4. The VR mission doesn't sound like it's too worth it.

Meh, I'll ask or it for Christmas and let the relatives decide.

I played and finally finished Tomb Raider 2013 this year and really enjoyed it.

I really hope this game gets justice now.

It's really great. It's identity may not be as strong as TR2013's, which was almost laser focused on being a horror/survival action film, and they've toned down a lot of the horror aspects, but it is still wonderful. Great puzzles, great graphics, really fun gameplay (hooray for stealth!) and beautiful environments to explore. :)

I think there would have been more excitement about the game among PS4 owners if it was out along with the XB1 version. Bought the first game on PS3 but now I feel like I'll be getting this around Black Friday or some other future sale.

I really hope this game gets justice now.

It's really great. It's identity may not be as strong as TR2013's, which was almost laser focused on being a horror/survival action film, and they've toned down a lot of the horror aspects, but it is still wonderful. Great puzzles, great graphics, really fun gameplay (hooray for stealth!) and beautiful environments to explore. :)

also the snowy environments are comfy to explore

ya, I think the only platform not getting the update is 360

Thanks! Just to be clear - the update is the co-op multiplayer addition for Endurance Mode (which is part the season pass on Xbox One) and Blood Ties (the Croft Manor episode). Is that correct? Is Blood Ties in first person on Xbox One and PC, or is that only in PS VR?

Wanderer5

So, has anyone here played the game? Is it safe to say it's worth picking up if I loved the last game? I'm probably going to pick up this up anyway, just because I enjoyed the Reboot so much. Just looking for more opinions on it. Also, about how long is this game, because one of the trailers said 50+ hours!? Seems kinda insane for a Tomb Raider game.

There a lot of side and DLC stuff to check out. Main story is around the same length as TR2013.

And I am one that wasn't much of a fan of TR2013, but I found this to be a nice improvement, mostly cause it feels more tomb raider like, with more tombs, exploration, and puzzles. Some of these elements could still be pushed further or improve personally, but it is on the right track. Combat is also used more sparely in most places and there more stealth options.

ItsTheNew

I believe any game made before 1997 is "essentially cave man art."
I just wasn't a fan of the snowy landscapes. I was glad there was some different locales later in the game, but the game's environments and story make it felt like a slog. Visually, it's a much better game than the last one but eh, I didn't see a leap in gameplay.

Ralemont

not me
Ordered this last week so I'll be getting it later this week from BB. Once I get through my Halloween games I'm hoping this lasts me until FFXV!

Ferr986

I'll probably get it on sale because it's still called Tomb Raider and I love the classic games, but I didn't really like the reboot enough to get this day one.

Game looks really pretty tough, that's for sure.

jelly

Yeah, it's good. Does all the basics fine as before, quite exciting and varied locations. Just don't go in expecting greatness or big improvements, encounters aren't great after the first few times but you can mess about yourself, tombs just take longer to get to, not actually any better. It just gets a bit boring because there isn't much depth. Yeah, a long-ish game. I would say don't go collecting everything first time through, it drags the game down something awful because there is way too much to find and mind numbing challenges plus you need certain tools to get them so you'll just get frustrated going for everything, don't feel you have to because it's there but up to you. That sounds a bit negative but it's more of the same really, only a bit disappointing they didn't do more were it counts, fun. Also, no game plus mode again which absolutely blows, the challenge thing with burn cards is rubbish imo.

I was more bored with this one than the first game. I just can't stand any of the characters and I find the gameplay itself is not special. It's an okay game for me and I can see why people really like it, but the next Tomb Raider I will skip.

Kweh

I recently started playing this on PC and am about half way through the game , I didn't know it was going to get updated, I would have held off - is it anything significant?

kc44135

There a lot of side and DLC stuff to check out. Main story is around the same length as TR2013.

And I am one that wasn't much of a fan of TR2013, but I found this to be a nice improvement, mostly cause it feels more tomb raider like, with more tombs, exploration, and puzzles. Some of these elements could still be pushed further or improve personally, but it is on the right track. Combat is also used more sparely in most places and there more stealth options.

Yeah, all of that sounds pretty good! Stealth was incredibly baredbones in the last game, so I'm glad to hear there's more options for it in Rise. I was a bit disappointed with the limited amount of Tombs and puzzles in TR2013, so I'm definitely excited to see more of that stuff here. I know the abundance of combat in TR2013 was a big part of why it was so polarizing for a lot of TR fans, but I really enjoyed the combat in that game, and I felt it was a big step up from previous games. That's why I'm excited to finally play Rise, as I'm hoping it can bring action and combat on par with TR2013, along with more of the classic elements of the older games.

Fun story: this game prompted me to finally install my Hyper 212 Evo on PC. I was too lazy to install it, just using the stock CPU cooler. But for some reason, my 980ti would not go being 48-56 FPS in the benchmark. I thought a new cooler on my CPU would fix it, thinking my 6500 might be limiting it. It sucked, I hated adding the Hyper 212 Evo after already building my PC but when everything finally clicked, it felt good.

Nope. Still not going above 60 FPS, despite many YouTube benchmarks showing a 980ti could blitz this game at 1080p max settings. What's going on, I thought?

Turns out I'm an idiot and had triple buffered V Sync on. Turned that off and my benchmark shot past 90 FPS, often maxing past 125 FPS.

So thank you, Rise of the Tomb Raider, for making me get off my ass and install my Hyper 212 Evo. I fucking hated doing it, but it was worth it. Now my frame rates stay high and my temperatures stay cool /PCMR

Cant wait to play it. But im still passing on it until it goes on sale. if they made me wait a year for an exclusive ill wait a few more months to buy it on sale, not at 60$. Looks promising though

I'd love to give it a shot, but I'm not paying full price for a game that's been out for a year when there's so many other new games coming out this fall too. When it's cheaper I look forward to picking it up. I still need to play the first game though, it's in my library on my PS4 just haven't started it yet haha.

Yeah I have way too many games to play now and still kind of bitter about the whole year timed exclusive BS. Will get the game later used after I eat into my backlog, enjoy Psvr for a while and play on the PS4 Pro.

Didn't pay enough attention during the initial release so can someone straight up tell me if the writing is better than the first game? Or alternatively, is the overwhelming push to call reboot Lara a 'survivor' gone?

Shin-chan

Game is average. Worse than 2013 in everything except it's art direction. Even writing. It didn't even feel like a good shooter this time.

NeoRaider

Game is average. Worse than 2013 in everything except it's art direction. Even writing. It didn't even feel like a good shooter this time.

Basically every review and most of the ppl who played the game say that it's improvement so yeah...

But opinions.

Oneself

I'm waiting for my copy... I don't have time to read much, anybody knows if they took care of the input lag that was present in the XB1 version?

Vlaphor

The name kinda pisses me off. In my opinion, NuLara from ROTR is the worst protagonist of all time, and she hasn't been around for twenty years. The popular Lara Croft that has been around for that long is totally being ignored here, with the exception of some skins.

Classic Lara - Beloved character with a rightful place in gaming history
NuLara - A character so terrible, bland, and depressing that I was skipping cutscenes simply so I wouldn't have to hear her whine and complain anymore. A character who I would be surprised to see in a third game to be honest.

Top Bottom