• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider 20 Year Celebration - Review Thread

bombshell

Good first post. Game is nothing but great. Still getting shit in this very thread though.

Yeah, let's forget that the game was announced as multiplatform, but Square Enix/Crystal Dynamics literally said "Nope, sorry. We took the money, you'll have to wait a year" to all PS4 owners.

I'll just say "Nope, sorry. I'll save my money, you'll get $20 when it goes on sale quicker than you can spell bomba".

true justice? how about price-matching? xbone version now $23.99 on amazon :) ...

TBF, that's not including any DLC. This PS4 release includes a lot.

I'll eventually buy it but not now or this year, since they waited for a year to bring it on PS4, I too can do that. #paybackisabitch

Lime

I have no idea how such a story-focused game with such a shitty story can receive these type of reviews.

They should just cut the story away next time and let Lara do her murdering and blowing shit up without dumb dialogue, dumb characters.

Game is average. Worse than 2013 in everything except it's art direction. Even writing. It didn't even feel like a good shooter this time.

uZdweq0.jpg

Bioshocker

Great scores. Well deserved. Hoping for it to sell well so that we'll get a sequel. Rise of the Tomb Raider was my GOTY 2015.

NeoRaider

I love how exactly same ppl are shitposting in every ROTTR thread. I feel like i am reading same stuff for the 23rd time. Lol

Yeah, let's forget that the game was announced as multiplatform, but Square Enix/Crystal Dynamics literally said "Nope, sorry. We took the money, you'll have to wait a year" to all PS4 owners.

I'll just say "Nope, sorry. I'll save my money, you'll get $20 when it goes on sale quicker than you can spell bomba".

TBF, that's not including any DLC. This PS4 release includes a lot.

When the game was first announced at the VGA's I don't remember any platforms being announced. A retail listing on Amazon, that was it, from what I can remember.

Edit sorry it was announced at E3

ryushe

Wait, people didn't like this game?

Outside of the spectacle, this was better than Uncharted 4 in every single way.

sublimit

Banned
It's such an irony to call this thing a "20 Year Celebration" yet the only similarities this game shares with the original Tomb Raider games are only in the title and the protagonist's name.

Are the writing and characters as bad and annoyingly grating as the last game?

I liked TR2013 enough to buy it twice(PS3 & PS4), but it had such awful writing. It was impossible to ignore how bad it was.

N° 2048

true justice? how about price-matching? xbone version now $23.99 on amazon :) ...

Not that cheap but $40 or even $50

I can't believe people are justifying the price because it comes with DLC and some VR thing barely anyone will play.

$79.99 CAD is insane. Game is a year old.

bombshell

When the game was first announced at the VGA's I don't remember any platforms being announced. A retail listing on Amazon, that was it, from what I can remember.

How is exclusives usually announced? Not without platform mentions, I reckon. And no, it was not just Amazon.

Also, it was at E3.

Lime

Are the writing and characters as bad and annoyingly grating as the last game?

I liked TR2013 enough to buy it twice(PS3 & PS4), but it had such awful writing. It was impossible to ignore how bad it was.

I would say it's even worse this time but less offensive stereotypes I guess.

Pretty graphics though

Vitacat

When is this version available on Steam, and what is the price? I'm only seeing the old version there right now, for $60(!).

Ralemont

not me

You guys can all keep holding grudges for meaningless entertainment products, I guess. I'll play the games I think I'll enjoy and skip the games I don't.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Fingers crossed that now, since the game is on PS4, people will give it the fair shot it deserves. It got a lot of undeserved shit the last 10 months-ish. Awesome game.
Yea.
I just wish developers would patch the input lag on Xbox, it was my only issue with the game. It only affected me in combat, though, exploration was fine.

How is exclusives usually announced? Not without platform mentions, I reckon. And no, it was not just Amazon.

Also, it was at E3.

Yes I edited my post and said it was e3

I don't remember this ever being announced or confirmed for PS4 before a few months ago. Am I wrong there? I can't find any info.

krae_man

Not that cheap but $40 or even $50

I can't believe people are justifying the price because it comes with DLC and some VR thing barely anyone will play.

$79.99 CAD is insane. Game is a year old.

Why do you not have it preordered for $49 from back before it was announced as a xbone timed exclusive?

NeoRaider

When is this version available on Steam, and what is the price? I'm only seeing the old version there right now, for $60(!).

Tomorrow.

Game + SP owners are getting the update.
20 Year Celebration version will be available tomorrow for the same price (maybe launch discount). And i guess they will only make SP available separately.

ironcreed

Banned
Fingers crossed that now, since the game is on PS4, people will give it the fair shot it deserves. It got a lot of undeserved shit the last 10 months-ish. Awesome game.

Fo Sho. I enjoyed it a hell of a lot more than Uncharted 4. Which is also great, I just don't feel it is as strong overall. Absolutely gorgeous, though.

Ellite25

These games are ok but nothing special. It's just missing something for me that makes it great gameplay wise. Also, the characters and story are completely forgettable.

george_us

Wait, people didn't like this game?

Outside of the spectacle, this was better than Uncharted 4 in every single way.
Faint praise. Granted I agree with you but that has more to do with the fact that Rise was an actual game while U4 was more or less a walking simulator.

Lime

Do they at least stop the cheap tricks to try to make you feel sorry for Lara? Because that was the most frustrating part for me with the reboot.

They still do so, perhaps even more so. Lots of "Lara is vulnerable you'll want to protect her" moments with lots of heavy sighing and whining

Ninjimbo

I have no idea how such a story-focused game with such a shitty story can receive these type of reviews.

They should just cut the story away next time and let Lara do her murdering and blowing shit up without dumb dialogue, dumb characters.
The game doesn't even have as many cutscenes as TR2013. The story is mostly fine. There's nothing egregiously bad about it. The reason it gets high scores is because the game is polished as fuck in the areas that count like graphics, gameplay and set pieces. The only games that can possibly stand next to Rise in production values and pure craft are the Arkham games and Uncharted games. It deserves all the praise it gets.

MilkBeard

Preordered a digital copy. I enjoyed the first one quite a bit. I had to sell the first game when I moved, so getting it for free with the preorder was nice. Can't wait to play.

Purest 78

Hopefully it's better than the reboot The characters and story were God awful. The gameplay was really good imo. I'll definitely Redbox it and give it a try.

People are complaining about the story, but man, even the first game had trash-tier writing. They just need to replace Pratchett at this point. Can't have another game with writing this awful. That said, the game is a blast to play.

NeoRaider

Do they at least stop the cheap tricks to try to make you feel sorry for Lara? Because that was the most frustrating part for me with the reboot.

Imo. no they don't. Lara is more confident, fearless and just feels like a better and more mature character compared to the reboot. There is one part (1st hour of the game) after she survives the avalanche but that's about it really.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Comparisons don't look that drastic, I remember people were so sure of themselves it was gonna receive a significant graphical improvement (unless those same people were talking about the Pro version which was unknown at the time xD).

Top Bottom