• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider 20 Year Celebration - Review Thread

NeoRaider

tomb-raider-960x540.jpg

Reviews for the PS4/20 Year Celebration Edition of the game are out.

*Metacritic - 88

*Reviews:

-IGN - 9.3

-The Telegraph - 5/5

-Eurogamer.it - 9/10

-Hobby Consolas - 9.2/10

-VideoGamer - 9

-Heavy - 9.5/10

-God Is a Geek - 9.5/10

-IGN.it - 9.1/10

-Multiplayer.it - 9.2/10

-3D Juegos - 9/10

-IGN.es - 9/10

-PlayStation Lifestyle - 9/10

-Attack of the Fanboy - 4.5/5

-Hardcore Gamer - 4.5/5 Bonus: Very good PC/XB1/PS4 comparison.

-High-Def Digest - Highly Recommended

-Gamespot - 9/10 (Updated)

-Monster Vine - 4.5/5

-Cog Connected - 85/100

-Next Gaming Blog - 9/10

-CG Magazine - 8/10

-Metro - 8/10

-Twinfinite - 3.5/5

-PlayStation Insider - 8/10

-Trusted Reviews - 4/5

-Gamersyde - No Score

*Video Reviews:

-IGN - 9.3

-God Is a Geek

Fingers crossed that now, since the game is on PS4, people will give it the fair shot it deserves. It got a lot of undeserved shit the last 10 months-ish. Awesome game.

sn00zer

Dumb question but is there anything part of this that acknowledges anything from the PS1 games outside of the VR mansion?

BeeDog

Still hoping my copy will arrive in the mail today, but the delivery window for today is ending soon, so... :(

Caayn

Fingers crossed that now, since the game is on PS4, people will give it the fair shot it deserves. It got a lot of undeserved shit the last 10 months-ish. Awesome game.
Agree. The game deserves more than bickering about releases. Great game and can certainly recommend it to PS4 owners and other people who've yet to play it.

KainXVIII

Gamersyde review
http://www.gamersyde.com/news_we_reviewed_rise_of_the_tomb_raider-18460_en.html

Verdict

We had a great time playing Rise of the Tomb Raider. It's a solid sequel of an already quite good title, and the new gameplay features help to alleviate the feeling that it's just more of the same with different environments. It took us around 15 hours to complete the with a 73% completion rate, with many things left to do in the open world zones. With a better story and deeper characters, this would have been one of the best action/adventure releases, but as it is, it's still a very solid and enjoyable title to discover for all PS4 owners, even a year after its release!

On the plus side
+ Takes the solid basis of the reboot and makes it better
+ The open worlds and their many activities
+ The crafting really makes us go and explore
+ Some environments look amazing
+ A bit more puzzles than before
+ Some interactions with NPCs
+ All DLC content and some bonuses
+ Smoother than on Xbox One

On the down side
- Aliasing is still visible
- Predictable and pedestrian story
- The Croft Manor chapter is disappointing
- Uncharted 4 has set the bar high when it comes to visuals

I'm kind of afraid to play this after Uncharted 4, even the game is known to be good on the ONE. I guess I'll have to finish Definitive Edition first.

JJShadow

Have been playing since last week and I'm really enjoying it so far, no technical problems or framerate issues after 6-7 hours. The only thing that bothers me is the lack of analog sensitivity close to the dead zone, and the low analog sensitivity in general. I'm already getting used to it but I'm finding myself having trouble to aim quite often

Was it like this in the Xbox version as well?

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Been playing for the last hour, looks and plays fantastic, 30fps was the way to go I actually started playing TRDE but it just looked wrong which I didn't notice my first play through.
But this looks great.
aMHOgQW.jpg

This a jpg but on screen and png files I actually think it looks better than those PS4Pro 4K screens which is odd

Have been playing since last week and I'm really enjoying it so far, no technical problems or framerate issues after 6-7 hours. The only thing that bothers me is the lack of analog sensitivity close to the dead zone, and the low analog sensitivity in general. I'm already getting used to it but I'm finding myself having trouble to aim quite often

Was it like this in the Xbox version as well?

Nah, the Xbox One version had a different issue IIRC. Input lag. Which, curiously enough, wasn't present on the 360 and PC versions

No, I have no doubt that there were quite a few people pushing the idea it was mediocre without playing it. I know a few personally.

Is that like, people who haven't played the first one? Because I'm pushing the idea that it's mediocre without playing it (and subsequently, unwilling to put money towards it) but that's because I'd say the large majority of impressions I've read is that it's an improved game over the predecessor but largely similar. Some have even said that if you didn't enjoy the first one, you won't enjoy this one.

Those impressions don't exactly instill confidence for someone like me.

No, I have no doubt that there were quite a few people pushing the idea it was mediocre without playing it. I know a few personally.
Probably.

Whatever platforms it's been released on though, it will always be compared to the Uncharted franchise and fanboyed-over accordingly.

That said, I can see older Tomb Raider fans being opposed to the direction the series has taken irrespective of having played it themselves.

Will buy when i buy the PS4 Pro. In 1080P with all bells and whistles that is.
I have no plans to go 4K. Especially not with the PS4 PRo.

gbland

I will get this game eventually on ps4! I'm getting gears this week and I would like to chunk away at the back log. Loved the first game tho. Can't wait to play this one.

Rsinart

Does the original xbox one game get any of the upgrades? I just started playing it on the One S after it sitting for months. Im wondering if I should sell that copy and grab it on ps4.

Yazuka

Pretty good scores.
Does anyone know if they'll release this game with a regular case? I saw it today in Sweden, but it only seemed to have that artbook like case, which I don't like very much.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Probably.

Whatever platforms it's been released on though, it will always be compared to the Uncharted franchise and fanboyed-over accordingly.
As a PlayStation Fan, from what I've played and seen its currently on equal in its own right, different games really though.
its definitely pretty game.

hydruxo

I'd love to give it a shot, but I'm not paying full price for a game that's been out for a year when there's so many other new games coming out this fall too. When it's cheaper I look forward to picking it up. I still need to play the first game though, it's in my library on my PS4 just haven't started it yet haha.

Top Bottom