• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider info from Game Informer (Nixxes handling Xbox 360 version)

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
In addition to your training for greater memory skills, you should look up what a strawman fallacy is as well.

LuZQAek.gif

Didn't United Front Games made the X1 port of TR2013? I don't believe it was actually CD themselves.

I am astonished to learn that CD only worked on the 360 version of TR2013 though.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I loved TR 2013 but the story was pretty bad, I hated every character and pretty much forgot their names straight away. The supernatural twist in particular was pretty woeful.

Am I the only one not wanting a bigger focus on puzzles? I'd rather it be more focused on discovery and exploration rather than huge brain seizure inducing puzzles...
Tomb Raider Anniversary had a lot of puzzle stuff in it, and a lot of the times it used discovery and exploration as the means to solve puzzles.

I haven't played a lot of the Tomb Raiders (none of the old ones, just everything after Legends), but I don't remember anything being like "here's a Rubix Cube, solve it to continue." They are mainly about traversing the environments and finding the right lever to pull or mechanism to trigger to open up the next thing you need to do.

Robso

Is it definitely timed? I see the links posted on the page prior but in December it was revealed MS would be publishing it. http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...icrosoft-will-publish-rise-of-the-tomb-raider

And they compare the deal to two other, console, exclusives.

"Similar to how we worked with Capcom on Dead Rising 3 or Harmonix on Dance Central, we're very excited to partner with the amazing team at Crystal Dynamics to bring Rise of the Tomb Raider in holiday 2015, exclusively to Xbox.

Sounds cool. Siberia is a great location.

But who's idea was it to mention TLoU in the preview? Especially with their article how TLoU is influencing Uncharted 4.

They are trying very hard to draw parallels.

B.O.O.M

Whereas the tales spun in Tomb Raider Legends and such are really fantastically written?

Cmon now, no reasonable person should be holding the plot of a Tomb Raider game against it given that no one has ever cared about the plot in a Tomb Raider game.

I can't say it sucked and hope for a better outcome because it has sucked before? lol that makes no sense

And I felt the last TR went for a more serious tone/mood..which puts a greater emphasis on the writing and characters than before

nynt9

Is it definitely timed? I see the links posted on the page prior but in December it was revealed MS would be publishing it. http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...icrosoft-will-publish-rise-of-the-tomb-raider

And they compare the deal to two other, console, exclusives.

From the other thread:

"Lara will gear up for her new adventure on Xbox One and Xbox 360 this holiday season, but the studio hasn't ruled out the possibility that the game will come to other consoles later on."

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=984917

HardRojo

Variety of bows with different attributes.

Welp. They didn't learn from the first game, it doesn't matter what attributes your bow has, don't go for complicated stuff when killing enemies is way too simple, expand on other things and improve the skills Lara had in the first game, they were useless there but could be enhanced for this game.

The rest is sounding better, I'll try to read more in-depth during the week as I can't right now but hopefully they will improve enemy encounters, I hated being able to kill everyone effortlessly with an easily applied arrow to the head... those guys loved sticking those heads out.

GQman2121

Banned
I didn't even realize this was cross gen. With the exception of sports games and COD, I thought most publishers would be past that by the fourth quarter of 2015.

I can't say it sucked and hope for a better outcome because it has sucked before? lol that makes no sense

And I felt the last TR went for a more serious tone/mood..which puts a greater emphasis on the writing and characters than before

Sure, but i'm just saying that no one should be upset that TR2013 didn't have a great story. Me? I thought it was a competent story, it moved along in a decent clip and I was interested in seeing it till its end but I also wasn't going into it thinking that the story was going to be something terrific.

So just expect a ho-hum story and you'll find yourself almost always ok with whatever comes your way. it's all about managing expectations.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I didn't even realize this was cross gen. With the exception of sports games and COD, I thought most publishers would be past that by the fourth quarter of 2015.

Hopefully it's along the lines of Shadow of Mordor, in that it's a new-gen game and the last gen version is a highly compromised port with barely any resemblance to the XB1 version.

BkMogul

I wonder how good (or bad) the 360 version will be. Seems like it's getting the "red-headed stepchild" treatment....at least from Crystal Dynamics.

Seanspeed

Banned
I wonder how good (or bad) the 360 version will be. Seems like it's getting the "red-headed stepchild" treatment....at least from Crystal Dynamics.
Well yea. Really late downports of next-gen games typically aren't given a very high priority. And its surprising that this is getting one at all.

Nixxes does pretty decent port work though, don't they?

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Variety of bows with different attributes.

Welp. They didn't learn from the first game, it doesn't matter what attributes your bow has, don't go for complicated stuff when killing enemies is way too simple, expand on other things and improve the skills Lara had in the first game, they were useless there but could be enhanced for this game.

The rest is sounding better, I'll try to read more in-depth during the week as I can't right now but hopefully they will improve enemy encounters, I hated being able to kill everyone effortlessly with an easily applied arrow to the head... those guys loved sticking those heads out.

Yeah I agree, they don't need different bows....just upgrades like the first.

Derpyduck

Banned
Sorry that I would like a game to be memorable enough to actually make a mark personally for me to remember the story just 2 years since release.

I remember TR's story. It wasn't great, but it wasn't horrible by video game standards either. And I don't remember a thing about Uncharted 3's story. Or Halo 4 for that matter. I guess it comes down to whether or not the game was any good.

HardRojo

Yeah I agree, they don't need different bows....just upgrades like the first.

Yeah, it feels like they are trying too hard to make it "complex" when in practice it just doesn't work and is actually useless, they added way too much stuff in the first game, they could try simplifying upgrades here while making them have more impact in the actual weapons and combat.

EGM1966

Well yea. Really late downports of next-gen games typically aren't given a very high priority. And its surprising that this is getting one at all.

Nixxes does pretty decent port work though, don't they?

Nixxes normally deliver very solid work. From memory Tomb Raider reboot needed sales across 5 platforms before SE were okay with results so I'm not at all surprised it's on 360 too.

Still have to play TR 2013, but from what I've seen of it and what I'm reading now, it sounds good.

Not expecting much from the puzzles. Years of Capcom and other companies saying that they are focusing more on certain things and end up getting the worse end of the stick again tends to cause such comments to pass me.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
I remember the writer, Rihanna Pratchett, saying in a blog/interview somewhere that there was a series of clashes between her (and possibly other writers) and the rest of the team on how long it took Lara to get her first gun, the transition from frightened shipwreck survivor to the killer that shows up entirely too soon, and more along those lines.

I'll have to see if I can dig it up.

Story wasn't anything to write home about, certainly, and person taste differs, but the killing progression aside (which, imo, isn't really done any better in Uncharted by ignoring it altogether), it felt like a pretty straight-forward rescue the girl/coming of age (albeit a really violent/bloody one). Not necessarily Old Lara, certainly, and I understand those complaints, but it was always meant as a reboot.

Would be awesome if they move forward with a LGBT Lara since Rhianna Pratchett is still attached :D

Same interview I was talking about above mentions this, somewhat, but I doubt the higher-ups would let it go through, Lara's too iconic.

Would give some added rationale for all the "SAAAAAAAM" tho.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Nixxes does better work technically than CD IMO. NB PS3 version of underworld.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
JOOOONNNAAAAHHH! <3

Also, nixxes...plz do the pS4 version....plz.....plz..

They did great work on the PS4 port of the first game. Infact, the PS3 version of the first game actually got the recommendation over the actual lead platform version on 360 by EG and they did that one too!

Top Bottom