• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider PS4 targeting 1080p/30fps

bombshell

In a statement provided to VideoGamer.com last night, Square Enix explained that it is "still optimizing the game, and our target is 1080p at a minimum of 30fps. Anything beyond that is a bonus."

The statement is similar to the one made by Square in the run up to 2014's Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition, where it said that its goal was to deliver "the core Tomb Raider gameplay at native 1080p and running at 30fps". "Anything beyond 30fps for this version is gravy," it added.

In that instance, the PS4 version actually ran at 60fps, twice as fast as the 30fps achieved by the Xbox One version. It was also developed by Nixxes, the Dutch studio who has teamed up with Crystal Dynamics once again for the PS4 version of Rise of the Tomb Raider.

http://www.videogamer.com/ps4/rise_...1080p_30fps_anything_beyond_that_a_bonus.html

occelinho

I hated the framerate the reboot had on PS4, got motion sickness from this since it varied a lot and wasn't nearly constant 60fps.

Give us an option to lock it at 30fps if it will really turn out like this again.

XBO was 1080p too wasn't it? If that's the case you would expect them to squeeze something extra from the PS4 version!

Squeezing extra doesn't help if it lands it in a stable 35fps. Too much of a gap to the next standardised benchmark of 1080/60 for this game's graphics and the ps4's hardware.

Will probably have a more stable framerate. PS4 isn't fast enough for 60fps and unlocked would be bad, so it's 30.

Were there issues with framerate? Other than one or two series of explosions I can't remember it ever dropping more than 1 or 2 frames during busy scenes, if at all.

Xav

Considering this is Nixxes who do incredible ports. I predict...

- 1080p & unlocked framerate for PS4 (With an option to cap it at 30 FPS)

- 1080p & stable 60 FPS for PS4 Neo.

Sky87

In my opinion, it would be preferable to drop resolution to ~900p and go for 60fps. Still not sure the hardware could handle that though.

bombshell

Were there issues with framerate? Other than one or two series of explosions I can't remember it ever dropping more than 1 or 2 frames during busy scenes, if at all.

Framerate was unstable enough on Xbox One that it was in the "What doesn't work" part of the digital foundry analysis.

Frame-rate: Rise of the Tomb Raider targets 30 frames per second with adaptive v-sync and reaches its objective fairly often. However, we ran across a significant number of scenes in which this frame-rate could not be maintained leaving us instead with judder and torn frames along the top 30 per cent of the image. We noticed a performance penalty when engaging enemies in combat as well though slowdown can occur even in sequences without any enemies or characters on screen.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-rise-of-the-tomb-raider-tech-analysis

madmackem

Considering this is Nixxes who do incredible ports. I predict...

- 1080p & unlocked framerate for PS4 (With an option to cap it at 30 FPS)

- 1080p & stable 60 FPS for PS4 Neo.
Having beat it on Xbox the only way I'll double dip is if neo mode is 60.

Xav

Having beat it on Xbox the only way I'll double dip is if neo mode is 60.

You should double dip based on the certainty that Nixxes will remove the Xbox One input lag from the PS4 version like they did with the Xbox 360 version.

liquidtmd

Banned
Every thread about every game = 'BUT WHAT ABOUT NEO VERSION LOLOLOLZ'

Its becoming unbearable and the sodding thing hasn't been fully announced.

That's basically the best they can hope for. Getting 1080p 60 FPS on PC is difficult even with a decent set-up.

The NEO won't be able to handle the game at 60 FPS if GTX 970s and Intel Core i5's struggle in numerous areas.

I believe 60fps won't be happening on Neo or Scorpio.

Even gtx 980 folks were struggling to achieve stable 60fps at 1080p on PC. It's a very demanding game.

I feel sorry for all the Gaf users who believe they will be getting 60fps across the board with PS4 Neo.

That's a pipe dream friends.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Some members don't believe the CPU bump is enough for 1080p 60fps, never mind 4K. I wish people would wait until we know more information before dragging Neo into every PS4 thread. It always comes in the first handful of replies. Like a hand grenade intended to derail the thread.

Well, the CPU won't have any bearing on the viability of resolution bump, however it is going to remain the bottleneck in the system. AMD's Jaguar line is intended for low-power devices, not gaming systems -- the clockspeed increase is all well and good, but it's not going to make a tremendous difference. Many people seem to view GPU compute as some magic wand, but the simple fact is that if you're using GPU resources to ease the burden on the CPU, then you've less to dedicate to your rendering budget. If Zen ends up aligning with hopes and is mildly competitive with Intel's mainstream offerings, then the next round of console refreshes should benefit greatly provided the APUs can fit within the power ceiling MS/Sony have in mind.

shandy706

The people that think this game will run at 60fps on Neo without sacrifices crack me up.

Guys...you don't understand hardware or what is required to do that.

Scorpio...heck high end PC cards...couldn't run this game full throttle at locked 60 when it came out.

With massive sacrifices Neo might could get a solid 40-50...maybe. A locked 30 is far better than jumping from 30-60 at random.

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member
We're in a bad spot when someone targeting the actual resolution of the system and half the refresh rate of a normal TV is something special.

Top Bottom