• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider timed Xbox exclusive for Holiday 2015 (No PS/PC, SE publish)

excuse me, but "exclusive for holiday 2015" means it will only be available on xbone *during holidays 2015* and anywhere else right after that. What's the big deal here ?

On the Xbox.com website it said published by Microsoft Studios and exclusivly on xbox (no holiday 2015 mentioned) but this was removed recently. Not to mention with Geoff trying to figure out what was going on with what it said on the site.

That's what most of this thread was about before.

Jomjom

Banned
Timed exclusive for an entire game is still huge. People make a big fuss about timed exclusive DLC. Hope this sets a fire under Sony's ass to actually do something about the PS4, but somehow I think our next update is going to be yet another stability update.

I don't think this will help MS sell. I overheard some causal gamers in my hometown once, who still believe in the DMR, always online, and the kincet "watches you". I could be wrong but time will tell. Whatever thought,
uncharted 4 will be better ;)

oti

Banned
Exclusivity is something that sells consoles. Both companies want to sell consoles. That's the business, that's ok.

Ultimately though I think Square Enix could hurt the brand with this move by delaying a PS4 release/never releasing the game on PS4. All things equal the PS4 hardware base will be bigger than Xbox One and PS4 will have Uncharted 4. Some people do tend to keep grudges for stuff like this.

Chobel

Already said this, and gonna say it again

Why are we so hypocrite about this stuff.
Okay this isn't a standard or wise thing to do. But Sony and Microsoft both have been doing this for years. Now some may argue wait, Sony doesn't moneyhatt for full exclusivity. But they do for exclusive content. We have been seeing this for years, they get extra 1hr playtime for AC, WatchDog, exclusive content for Destiny.

What I am trying to say is, for people who think this is morally wrong and shit. And don't want to support. Then stop buying all those games and not just Tomb Raider. You might think I am comparing apple to oranges but if you see the bigger picture I really am not. If Sony had that much cash, they would be doing the same practice. So its not cool to think well 1hr extra content and some timed exclusive content is great but the entire game is not.

So either you are okay with the whole thing, in which case, that fine. Or you don't support this kind of crap at all. That's also fine, but then stop buying COD, AC, Destiny, etc. and games like that which has exclusive features for each console. And you know if you do that, then you have my respect. But enough with the double standard people.

Let's not try to create a false dichotomy here, all is bad but one is worse than the other.

DieH@rd

Banned
xoqklh.gif

Gopher has been dead silent after people went back through all his posts and realized he had been teasing Project Beast (Bloodborne) for the past 6 months.

He would probably like to avoid that situation again.

Hrm? He was very upfront about teasing that. He didn't care. He just pops in now and again.

I doubt that TR2013 is the most successful TR and Lara Croft is a name big enough to warrant development without money issues.

Most successful? Yes. Didn't sell as much as they wanted? Also yes. At least at first. I can see them doing a DE later on and bringing that to other platforms.

I'm not in communication with cboat, just to clarify...

Of course not. Because you ARE cBoat! o_O

Why are we so hypocrite about this stuff.
Okay this isn't a standard or wise thing to do. But Sony and Microsoft both have been doing this for years. Now some may argue wait, Sony doesn't moneyhatt for full exclusivity. But they do for exclusive content. We have been seeing this for years, they get extra 1hr playtime for AC, WatchDog, exclusive content for Destiny.

Really? That's going to be your argument? Timed exclusive dlc the same exact thing as moneyhatting an entire friggin game?

And for the record, I don't like it when Sony this with dlc either. It's a fucking waste of money and it doesn't make me want to go hug my PS4 when I hear about it. It makes me roll my eyes.

Nintendo is paying to have Bayonetta 2 on WII U. Fine, and I'll buy the game and the console on release)

In the case of Tomb Raider, the game was once a multiplat so I consider that Microsoft is paying to have TR _not_ on PC and PS4. Not to fund the game development, but to compensate for missing sales on other platforms which were initially planned.

I'm pissed!
Not at Microsoft, but at Square Enix.

I really wonder what the terms of the contract can be... Is Microsoft giving Square 66% additionnal profit on the sales on XBOX ONE (plus dedicated bundles, ads, etc.)

Sande

That's just insane. Almost as idiotic as the name. Congratulations for not getting my money I guess.

fake edit: So it's just timed, even though that CD press note clearly states otherwise? I don't even know what to believe anymore.

Rozart

The only reason I don't like this news is because it's gonna result in a ton more Uncharted vs Tomb Raider fanboy wars than there would've been otherwise.

Also, MS would've announced this as an exclusive title back at E3 2014, looks like the deal was done recently, and seeing as this game was clearly a lock for multiplatform (as the definition edition was released earlier this year for the first game, and it sold better on the ps4) just looks like moneyhats to keep the game off of another platform, which I'm not a fan of at all.

Oh god. I'm cringing just thinking about all the possible UC vs TR threads.

And yes, I especially agree with you on that.

So was Splinter Cell... and I didn't see the outrage when Conviction was announced to be exclusive to the 360.

Seriously, what is the big deal. If you want to play it so badly, then just get an Xbox One. Exactly what Microsoft wished for when it entered into this agreement with Square Enix.

This is under the assumption that the exclusivity signing bonus (whatever its value) will trump the potential revenue from selling PC and PS4 versions.

I'm curious to find out the specs of the game.

Just a random theory, maybe this deal also included easier time developing the game and not worry about a parity of performance (i.e. resolution-gate). If there was a choice of performance as a multiplat game, you'd want the PC version first and if you don't have a gaming rig, you'd pick the one that has come out on top more often than not, the PS4. Not trying to insert bias or opinions, but that's how multiplats have come down to more often than not, better on PS4 than XBO.

So Microsoft doesn't want to be on the short end of the stick and just make sure you can only play the game on it's console.

The probably paid more than what SE valued it in revenue if it was released for PC and PS4.

Hoje0308

Banned
But when the Destiny stuff happened, everyone said it was okay to have timed stuff.

Now this happens and everyone loses their minds?

030EC.gif

I'd post a receipt GIF, but I don't needs receipts because I already know that's BS. Many people (myself included) expressed their disdain for timed exclusives of any stripe. And as others have mentioned, comparing a timed beta and exclusive armor to a full game that had previously been announced as multiplatform is ridiculous, at best.

timedd |:<

Welp, there it is again.

Put Nktrnl on notice, the KING leaker is back, good to see Cboat appear again.

I do think it's timed exclusive. MS will just harp on about it coming to Xbone holiday 2015 but won't full out deny it being timed.

Fbh

Well that was unexpected.

I quite enjoyed the Reboot and I don't plan to get a Xone so I sure hope it's one of those "exclusives" that end up on other systems a few months later (plus DLC). Last gen the 360 had no shortage of those so one can hope.

I really don't see how people see this as a BAD move from Microsoft. Sure, I wanted to play this on Ps4 and yeah I'm pissed it's a X1 exclusive now.
But looking at the big picture... the few thousand people on gaming forums are the ones who are going to complain about this. The several millions who actually make up the console market will just see it as another cool X1 exclusive

Exclusivity is something that sells consoles. Both companies want to sell consoles. That's the business, that's ok.

Ultimately though I think Square Enix could hurt the brand with this move by delaying a PS4 release/never releasing the game on PS4. All things equal the PS4 hardware base will be bigger than Xbox One and PS4 will have Uncharted 4. Some people do tend to keep grudges for stuff like this.

Only on NeoGAF. Casuals won't care a bit.

Tiktaalik

lol and I fell in love with Tomb Raider due to playing the definitive edition on the PS4... I was really excited for the new one. Oh well.

excuse me, but "exclusive for holiday 2015" means it will only be available on xbone *during holidays 2015* and anywhere else right after that. What's the big deal here ?

You're basing this off the title...they wont clarify though..from what i understand keighly is trying to get confirmation.

Edit: this thread is moving fast lol!

icespide

Banned
Timed exclusive for an entire game is still huge. People make a big fuss about timed exclusive DLC. Hope this sets a fire under Sony's ass to actually do something about the PS4, but somehow I think our next update is going to be yet another stability update.

why even bring up firmware updates in this thread?

the bottom line is if titan fall didnt send xbox 1's flying off the shelves... tomb raider isn't gonna make that happen. MS would be better served using that money to develop an original IP

They will never say its timed. That would make people that have both just wait for the other versions. This allows them to sell it to XBOX people and not have to worry about uncharted on PS4.

once the shit storm is over they can announce its coming to PS4.

in the meantime they will act like its only on XBOX.

we know better though.

oti

Banned
It's fascinating how much people care about TR again after all these years of lackluster games. That's a compliment towards the developers right there. They did a great job with the reboot.

Chaplain

Square wanted to avoid facing Uncharted on PS4 and made a timed deal on the side with Microsoft. Win-Win for both parties.

Agreed. This will also mean that in 2016 PS4 owners will get the Definite Edition with bug fixes and DLC included on the same disc.

badb0y

So, based on the recent information (CBOAT, and Square Enix), it seems like the game is timed.

Good. Will buy on PC but I am still a bit miffed that I have to wait.

goonergaz

Timed makes sense;

1 - they get a hat full of cash from MS
2 - they release on PS4 when Uncharted dust has settled

Win-win, better for PS4 owners too - it's just the Eliteists that miss out...where's my violin.

Top Bottom