• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider timed Xbox exclusive for Holiday 2015 (No PS/PC, SE publish)

calder

Damn, guess I'll have to wait a while longer to play the next TR. It'll be a while before we know how long the exclusivity is for, but hopefully it's only for a few months/half year sort of thing.

I really like TR, but it sure as hell isn't selling me a console.

Rozart

lol, just fond this from one of CD's level designers:

IYg9iNx.png

He seems kinda bitter about it? But how could CD not know about the deal.

Or maybe he's just trying to take everything in stride. Trying to read between these twitter lines makes me all confuddled.

It's kind of funny. In recent days I've actually been contemplating a purchase of the XB1 and shit like this...doesn't make me want one more, it puts a bad taste in my mouth and makes me want one less.

I'm not saying 'Fuck Microsoft I'll never buy one now' or anything like that, I just find this kind of thing distasteful. And yes, when Sony does it with timed dlc exclusive, it bugs me as well.

Saying Microsoft is pushing this deal to sell consoles isn't wrong, but to say it's a desperate move is just hilarious.

Microsoft made a smart move ensuring they have a product in the same genre to compete against Sony's biggest hitter in 2015 (assuming Uncharted isn't pushed into 2016). They've purchased Third Party titles before as exclusives, I don't consider it desperate, I consider it smart. It makes the Xbox brand look stronger while also covering the weak points Microsoft has in their lack of First Party Studios.

For the n-th time,

explain why no PC.

MMaRsu

Banned
To be fair, every single time they nabbed a third party exclusive in recent memory, there's a negative shitstorm. Even in cases like Dead Rising 3 and Titanfall, when they were directly responsible for the continued existence of those games' development cycle.

Whats this nonsense. Asfar as I know DR3 was being made regardless of MS? Didnt it even start as a 360 game?

SE keeps making "weird" decisions, especially considering the position they are in... will be interesting to see how exactly they are going to do with this... my bet is that this won't help them in the long run.

How is this a weird decision? I hate to say it, but Square needs money and Microsoft has money. 1 + 1 = 2

Sanke__

It's kind of funny. In recent days I've actually been contemplating a purchase of the XB1 and shit like this...doesn't make me want one more, it puts a bad taste in my mouth and makes me want one less.

I'm not saying 'Fuck Microsoft I'll never buy one now' or anything like that, I just find this kind of thing distasteful. And yes, when Sony does it with timed dlc exclusive, it bugs me as well.

Pretty much this

Exclusives differentiate you from the competition and give you something unique that can only be played on your system, so it's obvious what MS wants out of this, but I don't understand what Square gets out of this beyond the money. With the PS4 selling as well as it is, and given that the reboot sold better on Sony platforms (based on what someone else posted earlier on in this thread, not sure how accurate it is), I really have to wonder what the hell Square was thinking. Here you have a new franchise that struggled financially and you're going to cut off the majority of people that made it a success? Other than a fat cheque up-font, how does this benefit the franchise in the long run? I just don't get what Square's long-term vision is when they pull a move like this.

Ethelwulf

What do you mean what product we are buying? If you're an XB1 owner, do you really care if the game is eventually coming to other systems? If you aren't, then you aren't buying the product at all. I hope this isn't coming across as snarky, I'm genuinely asking.

Np. As an Xbox owner you don't, I agree. But as a PS4 owner and lover of the series, you might want to know if the product is ever going to be released on other platforms. If its really exclusive then there's nothing you can do about it and you might want to consider even buying another console. If its 'first on', then you could really take the decision of waiting for the game to be released at your console of choice OR buy another console. I don't know man. This is just my opinion. I might be completely wrong as I know next to nothing about how business works.

fedexpeon

Banned
I don't get it.
If they sold more games on PS4 for the TR: DE...why do exclusively on a weaker sale base?

But dang...no PC too? WTF man, I have all the TR collections on my PC. Welp, time to stop my collection I guess...unless there is a DLC costume for a wet t-shirt of Lara for buying the game a few months later, then I will buy your series again CD.

Zoned

Actively hates charity
Those reactions then where probably also heavily influenced by their DRM plans.

Anyway if they want to improve their image this shit doesnt help ...it will be seen by many gamers as a dick move.

To be honest, if they don't secure anything then people complain about MS not giving them any lucrative offers with the system, and they would rather buy PS, but if they secure exclusives like this then also people complain about "shady practices/dick move..." so I'm not really sure what people want.

But in respect to this game, this was definitely a big "fuck you" to at least PC players.

We've seen big budget studios close down on a regular basis for years. Then when a studio takes a check for exclusivity, on a big budget game, people cry foul. It's interesting to watch.

padlock

Seems like a very short sighted decision by Square Enix.

While I'm sure MS gave them a huge amount of money (certainly more then anough to cover the lost sales), they should be concerned with the damage this will do to the brand. Future games, movie tie-ins, merchandising, etc. will all be worth substantially less due to this decision.

Honestly, the move reeks of desperation. Both on MS's and SE's part. Perhaps SE was desperate for a cash infusion.

Fehyd

Banned

Exactly how I feel. Was gradually growing warmer towards a xbone purchase, but this really soured me to the whole thing.

lawful

Banned
Let me fix that back for you, seeing as Lara Croft and The Temple of Osiris is coming to PS4:

Bu11SJ4IQAEtwSh.png

It should really be fixed to take out Destiny, Watch_Dogs, Mortal Kombat, whichever NBA game it's representing, MLB2K unless that's The Show being represented (which it probably is), Elder Scrolls Online, and yeah as much as it hurts Sony fans MGS too, cause none of those games are exclusive. Is the 2014 Tomb Raider even PS4 exclusive? Mural seems like desperate propaganda.

Danny-Boy

This. If anything this deal will do more harm than good for MS and SE; it will only piss of more people and hurt the franchise in a long run. MS will never learn, perhaps they should call themselves
Moneyhat Game Studios.

I have to say, I think this actually makes Microsoft look bad -- the opposite of what you're hoping for in these situations.

Basically, they just took millions of fans hostage.

Tomb Raider was announced as multi platform -- MS steps in and makes it so people can't play the game ... How do they think that will encourage those people to buy their system? It's kind of the opposite ... It'll piss them off and make them hate the company. If they had done this BEFORE the game was announced, it would be a completely different issue because the expectations would have been different. After the fact, you can't help but look like a villain.

Agree. They just keep digging themselves further into that hole they're already in.

Top Bottom