• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider timed Xbox exclusive for Holiday 2015 (No PS/PC, SE publish)

Gorillaz

and I was about to go to work, thinking nothing else was going to happen with this thread except reactions
VWb1n.png

Ramenman

He seems kinda bitter about it? But how could CD not know about the deal.

Or maybe he's just trying to take everything in stride. Trying to read between these twitter lines makes me all confuddled.

Yeah you're reading too much. This is a personal account of a team member on twitter. He might as well not give a crap about it and just be making a quick joke, like normal people do on twitter when they aren't PR or have 10 billion followers.

ron_bato

This thread just got better. I dont know what to believe anymore, will just wait for the dust to settle instead of trying to dig through these non-answers

Jhn

Person that told me about many MS 'things' previously is telling me it's indeed a timed exclusive.

If this is indeed the case,
and their messaging is deliberately obtuse to somehow keep us in the dark about the exact nature of this exclusivity until late 2015,
when they expect to get increased xbo sales due to people not realizing it'll be out on other platforms later,
Microsoft are fucking idiots.

Mononoke

Banned
Bold move, I like it. This gen needs a bit more fire because right now, it's boring as fuck.

Of course, this means I won't be playing the new Tomb Raider, and that's a shame. I'll get by though.

I mean, outside of maybe selling more X1 units? I don't see how this really adds more fire to anything. X1 owners were always going to get this game. So it does nothing for them. By fire, do you mean cut out the majority of the fan base from playing a sequel to a series they supported?

I mean..I guess?

Chubear

Anyone who actually believes this is a true exclusive is just, by now, willingly wanting to be lied to. We have over 8yrs of MS MO on stuff like this but people still fall for it over and over again.

How many games came out on the 360 in it's first 2yrs on the market that were touted as "COMPLETE EXCLUSIVE!!!" and then ended up on other consoles? Over 90% of these 3rd party exclusive went console multiplat and with added value later down the line.

Remember Mass Effect? Remember how the developers screamed their lungs out about how if you want to play the game you MUST get a 360 cause that's THE ONLY WAY YOU COULD PLAY THE GAME? Remember how it was "impossible" cause MS published the game and others like it? ... can you now experience ME1,2&3 on the PS3? Do these tricks work all the time like this or are people just eager to be duped?

Ask yourself, how can SE see this as a financially sound decision? There is no way TR can make more or the same amount of $$ as an exclusive to one console in opposed to it's multiplat success with previous title. No matter the incentives from MS, there is no way to make up that revenue.

At this stage of the game, you would just want to be willfully ignorant that this title is truly exclusive to the xbone. Come on, we have history right there in our faces but we fall for this over and over again. Come on, really.

Saying Microsoft is pushing this deal to sell consoles isn't wrong, but to say it's a desperate move is just hilarious.

Microsoft made a smart move ensuring they have a product in the same genre to compete against Sony's biggest hitter in 2015 (assuming Uncharted isn't pushed into 2016). They've purchased Third Party titles before as exclusives, I don't consider it desperate, I consider it smart. It makes the Xbox brand look stronger while also covering the weak points Microsoft has in their lack of First Party Studios.
The problem is they would've had that product to compete against Uncharted 4 anyway...it just would've also been on PS4 and PC.

So using that as an excuse doesn't really fly. And this sort of deal runs counter to what MS themselves were saying about their need to build up genuine 1st party exclusives; why couldn't they have developed their own Uncharted internally and actually added more to that market (a 3rd big IP in that style) instead of fragmenting (and possibly weakening) one of the only 2 major ones out there?

I guess its nice publicity for MS but I don't see it affecting their immediate sales figures. Besides what's more likely to happen. People buy more Xbox Ones for Tomb Raider or people buy more PS4s for Uncharted?

Bricky

What a waste of money. I don't think TR will sell Xbones.

The point is not to have it sell Xbones on its own, the point is to strengthen the exclusive library of Xbox in general and make THAT sell Xbones. Xbox exclusives have not been impressive since the early years of the 360, while the studios under the command of Sony have been continuously pumping out impressive titles for a while now. Stuff like this, Titanfall, Sunset Overdrive and Ryse are what might make consumers think 'Hey, maybe I should buy an Xbox One instead of a PS4'. The console itself and its price (though the Kinect-less bundles might change that) won't do that.

Together with Halo 5 and Quantum Break, Microsoft now has a strong Holiday 2015 lineup. That is what is important, that is what will sell systems. This isn't a waste of money, it is a smart investment in the future of their console.

Square Enix, on the other hand, is just pathetic.

Leflus

I have to say that I'm really disappointed by this. There are some third party deals that I understand (Titanfall, due to the whole development hell issue), but this is not one of them.

Unless MS, Square-Enix and Crystal Dynamics explicitly explains to us that it won't be released for other platform, it's most likely going to be released for the PS4 and PC.
Which means that MS is wasting a huge sack of money on something that is only going to give Xbox One a short term gain.

They need more stuff like Killer Instinct, Crackdown, Sunset Overdrive and Scalebound. Not games that will be released on a competitor's console 6-12 months down the line.

inb4 mass amounts of complaints and "why"x100000. Xbox doesn't get to have good exclusives without whining and moaning but Sony gets like a million killer exclusives and nobody gives them shit for it.

GUYS XBOX SHELLS OUT BIG CORPORATE EVIL BLOOD MONEY FOR ITS EXCLUSIVES WHILE SONY PAYS ITS STUDIOS IN TRIDENT LAYERS. I WISH I COULD GET PAID IN GUM.

lol im sorry

It's this some sort of banhammer invocation ritual?

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Cool, good to know it's only timed.

Kind of a shame that Phil 'God's gift to Xbox' Spencer is still up to MS's old tricks though.

Top Bottom