• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider timed Xbox exclusive for Holiday 2015 (No PS/PC, SE publish)

Jim Sterling already tweeted this but I thought the same thing.

Square Enix viewed Tomb Raider as a failure sales wise and it was sold on a lot of platforms. Yet they went ahead to make it exclusive to the lowest install base for all current gen consoles (yes that includes the Wii U).

This industry!

MS must have paid a lot to get this one nailed down.

It's a win for Microsoft.

I'd guess, based entirely on speculation, the value of the lost sales for Square Enix even if this is timed and eventually releases on other platforms will exceed whatever they were paid. This is a franchise that can sell in the realm of 7M lifetime, with half of that if not more coming from non-Xbox platforms. A large proportion of those sales though, come from early in the life cycle. Releasing later on other platforms, if that ends up being the case will, mute sales a bit, imo.

If it's timed, SE gets to roll in MS dough, then release a few months later on PS4/PC and (while sales may not be as high) they'll probably still sell well enough. MS is probably throwing cash around seeing who'll take it, SE said "why not?"

Saying Microsoft is pushing this deal to sell consoles isn't wrong, but to say it's a desperate move is just hilarious.

Microsoft made a smart move ensuring they have a product in the same genre to compete against Sony's biggest hitter in 2015 (assuming Uncharted isn't pushed into 2016). They've purchased Third Party titles before as exclusives, I don't consider it desperate, I consider it smart. It makes the Xbox brand look stronger while also covering the weak points Microsoft has in their lack of First Party Studios.

giphy.gif

KoopaTheCasual

Cboat hinted it may not be a +3 years exclusive, so what is it ? Full exclusive ? 2 years exclusive ? 1 year exclusive ? 6 months ?

We still know nothing, so I don't know what's the big deal about his post.
Shinobi said it's timed. And Shinobi's track-record is pretty flawless as of late.

Since Rise of the Tomb Raider is releasing in 2015 exclusively for Xbox One, it's obvious that FFXV will be released in 2015 exclusively for PS4.

Everything makes sense.
That would make sense if Tomb Raider sold more on Xbox consoles, like Final Fantasy always does on PlayStation platforms.

I wouldn't be surprised, really. Full exclusive in Japan, even.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Already said this, and gonna say it again

Why are we so hypocrite about this stuff.
Okay this isn't a standard or wise thing to do. But Sony and Microsoft both have been doing this for years. Now some may argue wait, Sony doesn't moneyhatt for full exclusivity. But they do for exclusive content. We have been seeing this for years, they get extra 1hr playtime for AC, WatchDog, exclusive content for Destiny.

What I am trying to say is, for people who think this is morally wrong and shit. And don't want to support. Then stop buying all those games and not just Tomb Raider. You might think I am comparing apple to oranges but if you see the bigger picture I really am not. If Sony had that much cash, they would be doing the same practice. So its not cool to think well 1hr extra content and some timed exclusive content is great but the entire game is not.

So either you are okay with the whole thing, in which case, that fine. Or you don't support this kind of crap at all. That's also fine, but then stop buying COD, AC, Destiny, etc. and games like that which has exclusive features for each console. And you know if you do that, then you have my respect. But enough with the double standard people.

Pikma

Banned
Bold move, I like it. This gen needs a bit more fire because right now, it's boring as fuck.

Of course, this means I won't be playing the new Tomb Raider, and that's a shame. I'll get by though.
At last! Someone with a sense of adventure, a fan of drama rollercoaster like me!

This is going to sound pretty random but have you ever played Little Inferno? It's the thing most reminiscent of this kind of dramas you'll ever find in a videogame.

Solaire of Astora

Death by black JPN
The problem is I have an XB1 and this deal doesn't make me want to get the game. It basically makes me want to stay as far away from it as I can. I don't understand how anyone can say this is good in any way for anybody. Crystal Dynamics is getting roasted. Square Enix is getting roasted. Microsoft is getting roasted...again. Where is the positive in this?

Well, if you own an Xbox, you can play this game... That you would have been able to play anyway... Seems like throwing good money after bad. Unless Microsoft got this for a song, the money could have been better used elsewhere.

YOU'VE GOT TO BE FUCKING SHITTING ME.

This game was shown a few months ago as a multi platform title. Now all of a sudden it's exclusive to XOne? This is next level fakery. Miss me with talk of Sony does it too. Name one time a game was shown at E3 as a multiplat for a Microsoft console and then two months later it's suddenly exclusive.

Fuck their eventual definitive edition with T-Rex cock while I'm at it. They thought 3.4 million was failure as multiplat well wait until they receive news of these sales. They're missing out on a larger installed base hungry for titles. The PS3 version outsold both Xone and X360 versions alone but FUCK SONY. I had the Tomb Raider definitive edition in my cart but fuck that, them, and their game.

Citing Bloodborne is pointless because Sony is playing an active role in development.
Citing No Man's Sky is pointless because it's coming to Xone.

How much did Microsoft shell out for this console exclusive?

This is moneyhatting on a new level where budgets are very high. I'd be shocked if they spent less than $200 mill.

It was never shown as a multiplatform title, it was only said to be on Xbox One but it was never said to be exclusive either until now.

farisr

The only reason I don't like this news is because it's gonna result in a ton more Uncharted vs Tomb Raider fanboy wars than there would've been otherwise.

Also, MS would've announced this as an exclusive title back at E3 2014, looks like the deal was done recently, and seeing as this game was clearly a lock for multiplatform (as the definition edition was released earlier this year for the first game, and it sold better on the ps4) just looks like moneyhats to keep the game off of another platform, which I'm not a fan of at all.

It's one thing to fund a new IP (which means there are no "fans" of it yet on another platforms or a significant market) or fund a game that wouldn't have been made otherwise and have it be exclusive to your platform (bayonetta 2 on wii u), But this is different. The last game had a significant market on other platforms, and did well saleswise that a sequel was getting made regardless, and it was clear from E3 2014 that it wasn't an exclusive to Xbone at the time (as MS would've touted that)

Anyways, I plan to get an Xbox One sometime at the end of this year, or sometime next year depending on the price. But yeah, have something against these types of releases and probably won't purchase this even though I'll own the system by the time it comes out. Will buy PS4 or PC release if this turns out to be timed exclusive for holiday 2015 or something.

Just my principle, I know 1 sale isn't really going to effect them, but I stick to it.

Not to mention it's really easy for me to hold back on buying games as I usually have a backlog anyways.

Okay this isn't a standard or wise thing to do. But Sony and Microsoft both have been doing this for years. Now some may argue wait, Sony doesn't moneyhatt for full exclusivity. But they do for exclusive content. We have been seeing this for years, they get extra 1hr playtime for AC, WatchDog, exclusive content for Destiny.

What I am trying to say is, for people who think this is morally wrong and shit. And don't want to support. Then stop buying all those games and not just Tomb Raider. You might think I am comparing apple to oranges but if you see the bigger picture I really am not. If Sony had that much cash, they would be doing the same practice. So its not cool to think well 1hr extra content and some timed exclusive content is great but the entire game is not.

So either you are okay with the whole thing, in which case, that fine. Or you don't support this kind of crap at all. That's also fine, but then stop buying COD, AC, Destiny, etc. and games like that which has exclusive features for each console. And you know if you do that, then you have my respect. But enough with the double standard people.

Exclusive content is in no way even remotely close to comparable to money hatting the game outright.

OccamsLightsaber

Regularly boosts GAF member count to cry about 'right wing gaf' - Voter #3923781
But when the Destiny stuff happened, everyone said it was okay to have timed stuff.

Now this happens and everyone loses their minds?

030EC.gif

Did you just compare DLC of a new IP to a 18 year old game, a game older than Xbox itself?

Pimpwerx

Meh. I enjoyed TRDE, but that's also the only TR I played extensively and completed. Can't knock MS's hustle. They're trying.

What's this Tempe of Osiris stuff BTW? PEACE.

Cboat hinted it may not be a +3 years exclusive, so what is it ? Full exclusive ? 2 years exclusive ? 1 year exclusive ? 6 months ?

We still know nothing, so I don't know what's the big deal about his post.

Well looking at Shinobi's post its clear the info he got was from the buttocks and Shinobi says its timed. Then Cboat replies to the 3year comment which would imply its 6-1yr tops.

nOoblet16

I'm wondering what Square's role even is in this anymore. Did Microsoft buy Tomb Raider from them? Are they licensing it out? It's their game and they're not even publishing it

But ya, that makes me think it's like Dead Rising 3 where it was in trouble and Microsoft is getting them to the finish line
I doubt that TR2013 is the most successful TR and Lara Croft is a name big enough to warrant development without money issues.

KoopaTheCasual

Please stop quoting "insider" buffoons and give them any credibility or 5 minutes of fame they crave for. Broken clock is right twice a day, so far we established that people like cboat and ntkl are real, and thuway and similar are there for e-fame or in extreme cases for indiegogo free monies.
Damn. That feels like yesterday.

The lame PR speak about valuing all those fans is pathetic, and it is surprising considering all the sales they'll lose, but I'm not too surprised at MS moneyhatting a timed exclusive to go up against Uncharted. I really liked the previous game despite missing the patforming and puzzles of the older games, but I don't have either a PS4 or XBone, only a PS3 and PC. I am disappointed by no PC, and the series has always been very strong on the Playstation consoles and PC as well, so it feels wrong, but it happens.

eso76

excuse me, but "exclusive for holiday 2015" means it will only be available on xbone *during holidays 2015* and anywhere else right after that. What's the big deal here ?

Mononoke

Banned

Do you truly believe that the majority of people here that are against moneyhatting third party/multiplatform titles are only doing this, because their console didn't get it? I mean...really?

I've seen numerous people on here that own X1's, that even think this is shady. Not everyone looks at things from a console war mentality. Plus, as others have already pointed out, there is plenty of ways for consoles to make good business moves that benefit them + their user base (even with regards to exclusives), that aren't like this. But yes, anyone that would be mad about this, but be okay with Sony doing the same thing (in an alt universe), has no room to talk.

Either you find this kind of practice poor (in overall principle), or you only care when it's not the console you own. I agree. But I still say there were a lot of people in this thread that took their time to explain why they think this is bad practice. I kind of hate that everyone is being lumped into one thing, because it then dismisses and discussion about this and reduces it down to console owners being upset because of their allegiance to their console.

Derpcrawler

On topic, I own both PS4 and Xbox One, so this doesn't affect me. Sucks if it's timed exclusive, I would understand if it was complete exclusivity, but making it timed only alienates fans on non-Xbox platforms and doesn't achieve much. Tomb Raider is not the system seller IMO. So MS is wasting money they could spend on 1st party and SE being... well SE.

cresto

Great move for Microsoft, bad move for gamers. Guess I shouldn't be so upset Destiny has timed exclusive DLC then, eh?

Edit: A timed exclusive makes the most sense for all included. Same thing as No Man Sky then. Internet self destruct diverted

wmlk

That has to be an incredible amount of money shelled out by Microsoft.
Put it on the PS4 and it's likely to sell at least twice as much.

Lmao it's so obvious they basically bought Rise of the Tomb Raider because of Uncharted. They are trying to say, we also have our own exclusive Uncharted. Well timed exclusive, since Microsoft isn't publishing it, it will definitely come to PS4.

Shinta

Banned
On topic, I own both PS4 and Xbox One, so this doesn't affect me. Sucks if it's timed exclusive, I would understand if it was complete exclusivity, but making it timed only alienates fans on non-Xbox platform and doesn't achieve much. Tomb Raider is not the system seller IMO.

Maybe the sequel is better?

Fehyd

Banned
Agreed. From a fan perspective it's such a pointless waste of resources. An Xbox One owner was always going to be able to play Tomb Raider. Instead of Microsoft using that money to make a game that wouldn't be made otherwise as Nintendo did with Bayonetta 2, they waste it on keeping it off PS4. That Xbox one owner receives no benefit except I guess for the 10 year old owner in the playground who can use it in his arguments.

Basically it means that xbone owner gets 1 game they were always gettinf, when if ms had invested money they could have two games to purchase.

Cool, good to know it's only timed.

Kind of a shame that Phil 'God's gift to Xbox' Spencer is still up to MS's old tricks though.

That is the sad part, avatars and banners of believing in Phil, but the change he's bringing when it comes to exclusives is still keeping others away from good games unfortunately.

KoopaTheCasual

Ok, it may be timed then, but there is a pretty big difference between 6 months and 2+ years.
Yea, there's no indication how long the timed period is, and the game is still really far out. For all we know, another Titanfall situation could happen, and they end up completely moneyhatting the game/locking platforms out permanently.

It's best to just not dwell on things and move on.

sora87

Anyone using Destiny as an example.. it's still multiplatform no? It's not like Bungie turned around and told their xbox fan base to fuck off.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
People said it on the original thread, people defend everything

What exactly are we talking about here, the thing where the season pass for PS4 has more content than the season pass for Xbone?

Either way, even if there were people defending it, it's a very different situation from MS simply paying money for S-E to delay the PS4 version of the game.

That is the sad part, avatars and banners of believing in Phil, but the change he's bringing when it comes to exclusives is still keeping others away from good games unfortunately.

The issue is, MS don't want to invest a lot of money in gaming, but they want to get a lot of money out of it. There was an article a while ago with one of the creators of Xbox and he said they were like this right at the beginning. They're never going to get a lot of money out of it unless they invest it though. It wouldn't surprise me if Phil is acting under orders from the boardroom but it's still shitty.

Top Bottom