• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider will have 3 modes on PS4Pro

Slaythe

- 4K mode, the big resolution and developers made the optimal choices

- 1080p high framerate, the game running at >45 FPS targeting 60

- 1080p bells and whistles, 30 FPS locked with every processing technique pushed to the max

That sounds good to me.

Edit :

The source was the Crystal Dynamic guy on the Sony live. I'm sure you guys can find it.

Edit 2 :

60 FPs target with dips, and over 45, so I assume 45 minimum, mentioned optimal for speedrunning though, where dips are death, so heh.

Edit 3 :

There is some confusion as to why it can run in 4K yet not hold 60 FPS at 1080P.

So I'm gonna add my 2cents, don't crucify me if there's a misconception, but this is what I gathered :

First of all, holding 60 is never an easy task, for any game using modern technology, at full HD or higher. When the action gets much heavier, when there's explosions, stuff falling etc... you can't control your game environment 100% in games with dynamic designs. So dips are to be expected, what really matters, is if the experience is smooth overall, and the dips not too frequent.

Second, the techniques they use to render at 4K are mostly GPU based. Sony focused entirely on boosting the GPU for ps4Pro.

The problem is that the CPu is garbage, so games that were designed to make heavy use of the Cpu can't magically offload the work onto the stronger GPu, that would require recoding the game.

How CD talked about their "high framerate" mode sounded rather convincing. We shall see.

What is sure, is that games conceived with neo's architecture in mind could dodge that issue, if they don't decide to only focus on 4K/HDR. (because 4K mode is never ever gonna run at 60 FPs)

I genuinely wonder how much dev time something like that takes. If this is viable for every team out there, then I'd love to see this type of stuff become standard.

n0razi

This is great actually... enjoy 60fps with my 1080p set now and switch to 4K/HDR later when I upgrade my TV

A mix of low/medium/high with custom choices from the devs for 4k30 will be pretty good for most people, and it should be easily doable.

bones123

This is the information we've been looking for. Having a graphical fidelity slider on console, showing that it's up to the developer to make a PS4 Pro mode, and they can do what they want with it.

The only question left is, will games that currently have frame-hitching and stuff run better on the Pro? e.g. Bloodborne, instead of being upgraded to 60 FPS, will it instead just not have frame drops where it does on the original console?

foxbeldin

- 1080p high framerate, the game locked at 60 FPS

- 1080p bells and whistles, 30 FPS locked with every processing technique pushed to the max

That sounds good to me.

If this is how every new game handles the ps4p then i'm okay with this.

GHG

Gold Member
This is better than anything in the conference.

If it's like this for most games then I'm really interested.

Toki767

The source is the PlayStation livestream that's still going right now. They're interviewing a bunch of developers.

Femto.

Source.

If all PS4 Pro updated and future titles have this as a standard then I am all the fuck in there.

- 1080p high framerate, the game locked at 60 FPS

That sounds good to me.

I really, REALLY hope more games do this shit. Fucking awesome.

Corpekata

Banned
This is the part where those 3 posters that really hate having options in games come to lecture about how this is the end of gaming.

Hostile_18

Banned
I imagine there would be some hard choices to be made if I had a 4k tv as well though.

Think I'd go for all the bells and whistles as much as it shames me to admit it over 60 fps.

Top Bottom