• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Risen 2 |OT| Set sail for awesome!

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Gave it a whirl and the pop-in definitely seems to be vastly improved. Blocking actually works against monsters, too! That totally changes the combat dynamics. The new dodge roll seems to be mostly useless as the input lag (and overly long buffer) is still there.

Clydefrog

Gave it a whirl and the pop-in definitely seems to be vastly improved. Blocking actually works against monsters, too! That totally changes the combat dynamics. The new dodge roll seems to be mostly useless as the input lag (and overly long buffer) is still there.

dodging backwards a couple times and doing a quicksave can work wonders in the middle of a fight :)

-SD-

Banned
Pop-in is now much less annoying.

You don't need to press right mouse key to dodge. Just double-tap and it works.

Pyrrhus

This does a lot to make the combat at least competent. Nobody's going to mistake this for Batman: AC but it's not an outright detriment at this point. Here's hoping there's another patch soon to iron out other little bugs. Bugs me that it never actually rains on the Sword Coast, for instance.

stuminus3

Whats the chance of the patch finding its way into the console versions?
I suspect it will release with the updates of the PC version already baked in, like TW2. The patch makes a significant difference to how the game plays, as I said before I think it was supposed to be this way, not how it was before yesterday... especially when you consider how many bullet points they hit in only a week.

Hammer24

Banned
I suspect it will release with the updates of the PC version already baked in, like TW2. The patch makes a significant difference to how the game plays, as I said before I think it was supposed to be this way, not how it was before yesterday... especially when you consider how many bullet points they hit in only a week.

Thx, thats good to hear!

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
Only two people on the other ship are Slayne and Elliot the cook. They both just stay "We have wasted enough time". I am thinking I might be screwed here.

Wait, why do you need to respawn her? Did you lose her somewhere on the island. Just fast travel back to the ship.

Clydefrog

welp, i can't stop playing this game now. still on the first real island. my FPS improved greatly when I downloaded the NVIDIA beta drivers (301.24). took this screen via steam earlier (don't mock me - it's just a steam screen) everything is on ultra @ 1080

0SZIB.jpg

-SD-

Banned
Some great graphics tweaking mods have started to come out of the woodworks.

AntiWarp
Baltram said:
AntiWarp is a Risen 2 modification that increases the high quality view ranges for SpeedTrees

LoD Distance Mod v1
Malkav said:
This mod does increase the LoD distances of 280 prefabs and objects (decoration, furniture, ship stuff, climbable). However this is just the first part. The final version will be released soon and will cover interacts, buildings and nature objetcs as well.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I'm replaying Risen 1 while waiting for price drops, are there any mods or tweaks, gameplay and visual, that I should be using with that? The game's so hard for a melee character in the early stages, more than I remembered, I can't even explore around the first settlements without getting ganked by packs of wolves and boars (which aren't easy to beat with its kinda dodgy animations that don't play their tells properly and often have them abruptly change actions). Yet I must do that to level up and be able to progress in the game (I'm at the part I need the sword shards and those things before the last one are kicking my ass). Also, call me crazy but I turned shadows off and it looks better because the ugly super obvious shadow LOD changes were worse than not having them.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
I'm replaying Risen 1 while waiting for price drops, are there any mods I should be using with that? The game's so hard in the early stages, more than I remembered, I can't even explore around the first settlements without getting ganked by packs of wolves and boars. Yet you must do that to level up and be able and complete the various quests and progress in the game (I'm at the part I need the sword shards and those things before the last one are kicking my ass). Also, call me crazy but in that game I turned shadows off and the overall look is, in my opinion, better because there's less noticable LOD, the ugly super obvious shadow changes were worse than not having them at all.

For Risen 1, you just need to patch it using the 1.2/1.3 Unofficial Patch (you first need 1.1 official patch)

You have to explore everywhere in the island and kill these enemies to upgrade your strength level, the pickpocketing skill can give you nice swords and shields from the characters so that can help you,As for the difficulty it's hard at the beginning that part of the Risen great experience but if you can't handle that.. well play it on easy I guess.

oh and turn off the depth of field.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I wasn't saying the difficulty is bad... It's cool, outside the dodgy animations. It's too bad it actually gets easier as you play (iirc).

Although such games could also do with some nicer way to handle failure instead of quicksave/load. Maybe some MMO-like resurrection system, that has some penalties and some gameplay element. Exp loss, corpse run etc. I liked how Xenoblade did it but of course that didn't have any penalties and it was basically streamlining to keep people playing all the time, but it worked for it.

Will the unofficial patch work on Steam? What cool things does it do?

Labadal

Combat is still far from amazing, but it's good to have the option to dodge and block monster attacks. I'm enjoying everything else. Not on par with Risen, but still an enjoyable game.

Pyrrhus

Anisotropic filtering seems particularly heavy on the system in this game. I cut it down to 2x (from 16x) and couldn't tell much difference in the visuals, but I got a solid 10-12fps boost to the frame rate. Makes a huge difference in the way the game feels.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
*sees patch notes*

can somebody explain me why we still buy these games day 1 and even play them right away?

-SD-

Banned
The combat is apparently awful?
It's not awful once you get the hang of it, BUT it could be better. If the combat was awful I would've stopped playing ages ago. Instead, I'm enjoying the game. Especially now, after the update.

Clydefrog

Having so much fun with this game now.
I just got my own ship. and now I have 92 thievery so I can loot anything I want.
I am the adventurer I wanted to be now.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
smh@Deep Silver

I am still searching for a european boxed copy with absolutely no luck

Update

Look like my copy I got from UK delivered to someone else instead of the mail forwarding service office.

I hope he/she is at least a liverpool fan.

Going to buy another one :(

Image doesn't work for me, Clydefrog.

Also, finished the title. I can't say I didn't enjoy myself, I actually had quite a lot of fun, but the game had so many problems it's not even funny. The worst part is that they introduced a lot of problems that simply weren't there in the original. Still, I did greatly enjoy the pirate setting, and I think they did a decent job at taking some cues from BioWare titles while keeping the core design still in place, so hopefully they'll get their shit together for Risen 3, assuming the sales don't suck and they don't get scared into reactionary design like with Gothic 3 -> Risen.

fushi

Question: One of the preorder DLC's is something called A Pirate's Clothes, which among other things includes a ring that increases experience accumulation by 5%. Since Risen 2 seems to be like Risen 1 (i.e. a limited amount of experience you can gather, no farming), this would mean that owning said ring would allow one to ultimately learn 5% more skills than a player that doesn't have one.

I am guessing that in real terms this means one or two skills... am I correct in all this?

Also, I usually understand why a dev makes some seemingly poor choices in a game's design, but I cannot a think of a single good reason why the horizontal and vertical mouse sensitivity is so different AND why one cannot change them independently. It makes no sense to me.

Also, I usually understand why a dev makes some seemingly poor choices in a game's design, but I cannot a think of a single good reason why the horizontal and vertical mouse sensitivity is so different AND why one cannot change them independently. It makes no sense to me.

There was a fix posted here to increase the vertical mouse sensitivity:

If you're annoyed, as I was, by the slow mouse steering when looking up/down, do this:

1. Open C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Risen2\ConfigUser.xml with Notepad.
2. Change Mouse SensitivityY="1.000000" to larger than 1.

That is for Windows 7. You need to enable "Show hidden files, folders and drives" from Windows Explorer.

I ended up using a 2.500000 value. Mouse steering is now quick and snappy for every direction.

clockpunk

I truly hope the patched/revised combat system is included for immediate use in the console release - sounds like it adds so much.

Really looking forward to Risen 2, now. Still hold a slight grudge against Disney for cancelling that Pirates of the Caribbean Fable-esque game, which sounded/looked fantastic, but this one will hopefully more than make up for it.

Question: One of the preorder DLC's is something called A Pirate's Clothes, which among other things includes a ring that increases experience accumulation by 5%. Since Risen 2 seems to be like Risen 1 (i.e. a limited amount of experience you can gather, no farming), this would mean that owning said ring would allow one to ultimately learn 5% more skills than a player that doesn't have one.

I am guessing that in real terms this means one or two skills... am I correct in all this?

Enemies respawn if you leave the island. And the final boss is a cake walk so you don't really need the extra experience.

Top Bottom