• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Risen 3 is coming

Munin

Lock if old

http://www.dsogaming.com/news/risen-3-blazing-oceans-teased-by-german-multimedia-firm-dluxe-media/

Our reader Johnny Bravo has informed us about a possible leak of the third part in the Risen series. The German multimedia firm ‘Dluxe media’ revealed via its Facebook page that it has scored a contract which involves the creation of the soundtrack for “Risen 3: Blazing Oceans”. Dluxe media has already deleted that post, however RPGWatch member ‘Moriendor’ has managed to take a screenshot of that post.

This is the first time we hear something about a new Risen game. And quite frankly, we hope that Piranha Bytes will be able to offer us something a bit better than Risen 2. You know, like a game with a proper PC inventory system and some better combat mechanics.

If that title is also true, we can expect this new Risen game to be centered around… oceans. The return of Risen 2′s pirate-theme seems plausible at this state, though we hope that Piranha Bytes will also experiment with something else.

It will also be interesting to see which platforms Piranha Bytes targets for this new Risen game. The PC platform is a given, but what about the consoles? Will Piranha invest on the fan-base of PS3 and X360 or will it move on to next-gen. After all, it’s no secret that Piranha had difficulties porting Risen 2 to current-gen consoles.

Here is hoping that the team will unveil more details about it in the coming months.

For now, enjoy the teaser image!

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Interesting. I figured that since PB got the Gothic rights back that they'd be doing a proper Gothic 4.

Apart from the grammar in the news post, this is good news. Risen 2 was just okay, but it's still an excellent idea with plenty of potential.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Risen was a huge step backward from Risen 1,not good at all,Risen 1 was great,they need to make this to be like Risen 1.

bloke

Liked first Risen a lot, but didn't bothered with second one since everyone told me it's shit. I wonder what went wrong, did they totally dumbed it down for more casual console audience?

Actually this isn't new. Michael Rüve (managing director of Piranha Bytes) already denied that they have anything to do with Dluxe media quite some time ago:
Link to his post on the german World of Risen board

Translation:
"I don't know this firm - I didn't close any contract with them.
Even if I did, the contract would now be cancelled reagardless of whether we're working on Risen 3, Gothic 5 or Humipumpi 1."

Munin

Michael Rüve (managing director of Piranha Bytes) already denied that they have anything to do with Dluxe media quite some time ago:

Translation:
Even if I did, the contract would now be cancelled reagardless of whether we're working on Risen 3, Gothic 5 or Humipumpi 1."

So why would Dluxe Media just make it up (and have a logo for the game too?)? Doesn't make much sense.

So I guess they are working on it but just don't want to announce it yet.

Sentenza

I think about Risen 1... Then about Risen 2...

deathbysnoosnoom.gif

That's how I feel.

So why would Dluxe Media just make it up (and have a logo for the game too?)? Doesn't make much sense.

I'm not sure what to make of it myself. But I'm also not sure if it's more likely that Michael Rüve is blatantly lying here.

So I guess they are working on it but just don't want to announce it yet.

It's certainly likely that they're working on Risen 3. I agree with that.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Actually this isn't new. Michael Rüve (managing director of Piranha Bytes) already denied that they have anything to do with Dluxe media quite some time ago:

Translation:

I'm now looking forward to Humipumpi 1.

This post made me lose all interest in Risen 2:

Just finished this.

I enjoyed the game but overall it's worse than Risen 1. So many of the things I enjoyed about the first game has either been dumbed down or removed altogether.
The combat is bad and doesn't really get better further into the game, it just gets easier. The controls are also less responsive which can makes the combat even worse. I actually liked the combat in the first game and it's a shame that they completely changed it. Enemies are also easier in general and there's a lot less enemies that will kick your ass.
The quests also feel like a step back compared to the first game and if there are multiple ways to complete a quest they just tell you your options upfront instead of letting you figure it out yourself.
One of my biggest disappointments about the game is the fact that they removed your ability to climb anywhere and the levitation spell, which makes the exploration far less interesting than in the first game.
All the interesting locations are tied to some quests and there's fewer interesting locations of the beaten path. On the plus side there's a lot more towns and NPCs which is great, even if none of the towns are as big as harbour town from the first game.

Despite all its faults I still enjoyed the game and had a lot of fun with it. The world design is still good even if it's not as good as in the first game. The graphics are really good aside from the horrible pop-in, short draw distance and annoying texture flickering. The pirate setting and art style was a definite improvement over the first game and there are more towns and NPCs than in the first game.

Kevtones

Risen II was great. Combat was slopzilla but it got better the further you progressed.

Loved the theme and atmosphere of the game.

Sentenza

Wait, I rushed to post out of excitement, but this news is very old.
Not sure why they are re-posting it now.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Oh, god, please prevent this game from being released cuz all Risen games is complete shit and this one won't be any better.

Risen 2 wasn't awful. The world was neat and there were decent concepts. Same with the later Gothic games.

It'd be nice to see if these guys could put together something that doesn't seem like they got bored in the last year of development. (Or something that doesn't require a fan patch to be playable.)

Midou

Risen 1 was glorious, but from this subtitle, it seems to be going in the same direction as Risen 2, so no thanks.

eXistor

Nice, I'm always up for more Risen. 2 was severely underrated. Not quite Risen 1 quality (they somehow managed to make the combat even worse), but the island design was splendid and no-one knows how to make interesting worlds that are fun to explore better than Piranha Bytes.

I do hope it'll be a bit more fleshed-out this time around.

I still havent gotten to play the first 2. Was really hoping to get them in the last steam sale but they never got a good daily discount.

Tenrius

I didn't really like the first game, haven't played the second yet. The first game felt very similar to the Gothic series (which I'm fond of), but less unique.

Pyrrhus

Was there ever a good post-mortem on Risen 2? Something clearly went terribly wrong in its development. Not a completely worthless game, but pretty flawed and retrograde compared to Risen or Gothic II.

They need to a kickstarter for a top down Gothic spin-off. And if that sells enough they can self fund the true Gothic 4.
Was there ever a good post-mortem on Risen 2? Something clearly went terribly wrong in its development. Not a completely worthless game, but pretty flawed and retrograde compared to Risen or Gothic II.

I'd like that but Deep Silver probably won't allow it. Especially if a lot of the flaws were because of their meddling.

Valkyria

Banned
Arcania is Gothic 4. They no longer own te Gothic Brand, so they went with Risen. So Risen is 3 is the new RPG from the creators of Gothic.

Tanolen

Risen 2 was pretty good outside of the combat. It wasn't as good as the first game, but I liked the setting alot.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Should have scrapped Risen 3 and just done a new came called just Gothic. In the spirit of the first couple but with good mechanics and a new world and characters.

No,Risen 1 got many new followers which weren't even Gothic fans,and I think Risen universe is more interesting too they just need to make a proper sequel to Risen 1.

Top Bottom