• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Risen 3 is coming

I'm fine with them taking Risen in a more streamlined/dumbed down direction as long as they make a proper Gothic game in a new setting that isn't standard fantasy.
Risen universe is more interesting too they just need to make a proper sequel to Risen 1.
The Risen universe is actually based on the Xardas ending in Gothic 3.

bhlaab

Yeah, they were secretly making Gothic games all along. If anything they'll just make the universe connections more overt.

Ntsouls

Banned
I'm playing the second. And god. All the things that made the first quaint and fun are gone.
Like running into an area with some boss troll and taking him back to kill some npcs.
Or knocking down an NPC and looting their bodies before helping them up.
Combat seems to have gotten both better and worse.
Where the hell did the magic go? Also...if you're going to give this guy his own personality. Give the bloody man a name. I don't for once believe I'm the character I'm playing , because half the stuff he says I wouldn't say.

Sentenza

I'm playing the second. And god. All the things that made the first quaint and fun are gone.
Like running into an area with some boss troll and taking him back to kill some npcs.
Or knocking down an NPC and looting their bodies before helping them up.
Combat seems to have gotten both better and worse.
Where the hell did the magic go? Also...if you're going to give this guy his own personality. Give the bloody man a name. I don't for once believe I'm the character I'm playing , because half the stuff he says I wouldn't say.
Well, damn, you could post this in the Risen 2 thread, instead of bumping this one and giving me hope for nothing.

Shenzakai

Banned
I played the crap out of Gothic, Gothic II and Risen (the latter just recently for the first time thanks to Humble Bundle) and now I'm round about seven hours in in Risen 2.
While I agree with you about the lack of some core mechanics from it's predecessor I don't think the game is bad or even "worthless".
The world is still magic and beautiful due it's handcrafted landscape and I still love the rude talk of the ppl :)
Finally they gave the graphics engine an overhaul, R2 looks just awesome (especially compared to R1 which just looked like a small improvement against G3). The characters and their animations are such a huge step-up from R1.

As I said I agree with you in terms of some features which are missing from the predecessor, like magic or the possibility to loot ppl before helping them getting up.

At this point I can't give a more detailed verdict, but I like the freshness and changes of R2 so far because with R1 (despite all of its greatness) I got a little tired of the basically same mechanics and gameplay since G1.

Piranha Bytes is now on Facebook and there they already confirmed that they're working on a new title, but yet can tell the fans what it will be.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Osu1K5j.jpg

Risen was horrible.

Risen 2 was shown and we all loved the videos that showed the refined gameplay and good looking graphics.

Risen 2 got released and it was just as awful as Two Worlds 2.

How can I even get excited for Risen 3?

Boerseun

Banned
+1 for enjoying Risen 2.

Looking forward to Risen 3 (and hopefully a return to Gothic in the near future).

Risen was horrible.

Risen 2 was shown and we all loved the videos that showed the refined gameplay and good looking graphics.

lol! That makes two games I enjoyed. To each his own.

yarden24

Risen was horrible.

the first risen was great, really enjoyed though i lost interest after the whole lizard men thing, risen 2 was ok, but no more then that..

Sentenza

They should just do a Gothic 2 + NOTR HD version
Do you mean a remake? Becuase you can set the resolution to "HD" even right now.
I would totally buy that, by the way, even if I replayed the game barely a couple of years ago.

Ceebs

Risen 2 felt like one of the worst examples of trying to make a console friendly version of the first game. Even more so than Dragon Age 2.

szaromir

Banned
Risen 2 felt like one of the worst examples of trying to make a console friendly version of the first game. Even more so than Dragon Age 2.
I started playing Risen 1 yesterday and it feels like it would easily make for a console friendly game.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I started playing Risen 1 yesterday and it feels like it would easily make for a console friendly game.

It was released on consoles too. Received pretty badly though because the original version looked really bad compared to PC. It was patched later though to look more in line with the PC release.

szaromir

Banned
It was released on consoles too. Received pretty badly though because the original version looked really bad compared to PC. It was patched later though to look more in line with the PC release.
I know the port was terrible, but I think if it was handled correctly, it should translate well enough to consoles, no dumbing down is really necessary.

Giran

Risen was alright. For the first two chapters at least. Content got extremely sparse after that, everything was just island-wide fetch quests with no substance. PB is definitely a talented team though, so I'll be keeping an eye on it.

Zukuu

Banned
Yay! Huge PB fan. Played every game. Sadly, they are in steady decline since Gothic 2.
Still hoping they'll deliver a new master piece. Risen 2 was kinda weird. Didn't enjoy it as much as 1. Hope Alchemy is not as broken in the next title tho. If you go from 55 strength to 110 within 2 minutes then there is something wrong in the balance.:p

Add me to the list of people that enjoyed Risen 2: Dark Waters. I honestly had fun with it and i really don't understand the hatred it receives.

More Pirating? Yes please!

I didn't mind Two Worlds 2 either. Well, not until the final boss which was stupidly implemented.

Begaria

I've got Risen 1 and 2 for the PC. Played the shit outta Risen, it's a good game. For some reason, I haven't touched Risen 2 yet even though I bought it a year ago.

-SD-

Banned
Yay! Huge PB fan. Played every game. Sadly, they are in steady decline since Gothic 2.
That is true, although Gothic 3 with Community Patch is a good game. Each time I start another round of Gothic 3 I find myself spending weeks with it until it's finished.

Risen is also quite good, but, overall, slightly lesser of an experience than Gothic 3.

MadSexual

Well, damn, you could post this in the Risen 2 thread, instead of bumping this one and giving me hope for nothing.

Haha, I had the same reaction. I remember being sad that I couldn't chime in the first time this thread came around, so at least now I get my chance!

I haven't played either Risen game yet, but I love all of the Gothic games. Heavily patched G3 may even be my favorite!

FloatOn

Risen 1 was really kind of great despite the jank.

Risen 2 was horrible.

So let's just say I'm cautiously optimistic about this one.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Well Piranha Bytes kind of alternates between good and bad games, so this should be good, which means Gothic 4/5 is going to suck.

Zornack

I had a great time with 1 but never got very far into 2. The combat was... weird. Did they end up patching/fixing it?

szaromir

Banned
Well Piranha Bytes kind of alternates between good and bad games, so this should be good, which means Gothic 4/5 is going to suck.
There was no such cycle between Gothic 1 and 2. Both were buggy but awesome nonetheless. I had one of the most glorious bugs ever in Gothic 1 - my character got catapulted a kilometer or so into the sky around the New Camp and then was slowly freefalling and landed in the Old Camp.

eXistor

Sweet, I loved both Risens so far, though 1 was a bit better. They need to make combat a non-issue. I thought the combat in 1 was atrocious, but they somehow made it even worse in 2. Focus on fixing that. Piranha Bytes is just about unparralleled in world-building and that's where both games shine.

I always considered the Risen 1 to be very casual friendly in a good way. I was very surprised to see that reviews basically see it as a hardcore rpg, which it's decidedly not imo. The game has very simple mechanics and is extremely easy to pick up and play.

Dennis

Banned
Risen is the greatest exploration-RPG ever. By far.

They fucked it all up with the sequel. Incomprehensible.

I see Sethos and Stallion Free are banned. Why does bad things happen to two such great members of NeoGAF?

Top Bottom