• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Risen 3: Titan Lords announced (Piranha Bytes)

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Nice, with the new consoles a potential console release won't have to gimp the PC release. (Aka seas of masked loading)

Dinda

Even thought it is Risen 3, i hope it is a real reboot with new Characters. At best they even let us create our Character, but i don't think that will happen.

Hope it's PC and PS4/Xbone. Now with the PC like architecture of these machines they will maybe even be able to make decent console versions!

Puru

My experience with the thing so far was going either mage in the first and faceroll to victory or use a muskeet/shotgun in the second and faceroll to victory.

I also found the first to have a far better setting than the second.

FloatOn

Risen 1 had such a great world to explore and characters to interact with. I loved all the random profanity as well. The combat was poor.

Risen 2 destroyed the exploration element by having several small islands to explore. The main character became a parody of himself and somehow the combat was actually worse.

I'm hopeful but skeptical about risen 3.

Jac_Solar

I thought the problem with Risen 2 was that the game consisted of a series of islands with linear paths. The world design itself was pretty incredible, and just made it more annoying that it wasn't an open world game, or had any focus on exploration (Besides getting to your objectives.). Why, oh why did they do this? It obviously would have been an entirely different game if it had a single world or map.

If they do the same with Risen 3, then, well, it'll probably be a lot more like Risen 2 than Risen 1.

Wiktor

I liked Risens, but they just didn't measure up to Gothics. Hope this finallly will. It looks like they're essentially making Gothic 4 and sticking Risen name on it.

jimi_dini

I still need to get round to Risen 2 though. A pirate RPG does sound great and the idea of getting your own ship to sail around sounds...

It's flawed, but the atmosphere, characters and dialog make up for it. If you want to play it for the combat, then don't.

I loved it. Even bought the super big collector's edition with this guy (after buying the cheaper collector's edition from zavvi for 13pounds):
6WxzzzGl.jpg

Pyrrhus

Yup, it's fantastic, a must play if you like games of that kind.

Well, until that final dungeon it is. Still, very much worth playing even with the warts.

Let's hope they make the combat and role playing elements better this time. I loved Gothic I and II the first Risen, but their design and execution were wrongheaded in the case of Risen II. At least the writing was pretty decent, though the entire pirate thing was pretty half baked. Maybe now that the winds have shifted to favor PC and indie games they can go back to doing what they do well instead of trying dumb things down for what they perceive as a more lucrative audience.

I loved it. Even bought the super big collector's edition with this guy (after buying the cheaper collector's edition from zavvi for 13pounds):
6WxzzzGl.jpg

Jafar was a big bastard bright spot, fuck yes!

Hung_real

It's flawed, but the atmosphere, characters and dialog make up for it. If you want to play it for the combat, then don't.

http://i.imgur.com/6WxzzzGl.jpg[/IMG[/QUOTE]

The gnome island part was so amazing

Too bad Jaffar role kinda faded off after that

Almighty

Well this is good news. I loved Risen, but like most has already said Risen 2 felt like a step back. Hopefully they can return to form with this game.

Tenks

I'm in the camp of loved Risen 1 but hated Risen 2. It seemed like Risen 2 had nothing interesting going on ever. Got maybe halfway through the game and gave up.

Sentenza

Is Risen 2 that bad? I had a great time with 1 but never got around to playing 2.
In the end I still think it's better than most "triple A" RPGs, but Jesus, there's a lot of poorly thought stuff (if not borderline garbage) to digest to appreciate the good parts. And it's *definitely* a step back from Risen 1.

Drake

I thought the combat in Risen 1 was utter shit. I finished that game because I thought the island that the game took place on was pretty interesting. I still haven't given Risen 2 a try yet. It got pretty shitty reviews, so I don't even know if it's worth my time.

Sentenza

Gothic4 wasn't as bad as Risen2, imo.
It was much worse in my opinion, and in a lot of ways.

Good god, not every series needs to be like Dark Souls. Why don't you go play Dark Souls 2 instead?
While I can agree with you that listening to the rabid Souls fans can become tiring after awhile, I must admit that an open world RPG designed by Piranha with a combat took directly from Dark Souls would top even a proper Dark Souls sequel on my hype scale, and not by a small degree.
And i don't even think Risen 1's combat system was half bad, for the record.

Kiru

Gothic4 wasn't as bad as Risen2, imo. It was enjoyable just tedious and repetitive. I at least got maybe 20 hours of gameplay out of it. I didn't get that much out of Risen2.
LOL I played Arcania. It was playable, but seriously better than Risen 2? Hell no! Didn't you notice how nearly every NPC looked the same, the stupid quests, the stupid story etc? Wow... This Risen 2 hate is too much for me.

Dinda

Good god, not every series needs to be like Dark Souls. Why don't you go play Dark Souls 2 instead?

Good god i didin't say they should use Dark Souls Combat.

And yes, i think every game played with Swords, shields etc should take a good look at the Souls series. Not to copy the combat, but to give their own combat system a bit of the weight and feel of the weapons (I'm no native english speaker, so that may sound a bit off, but i think people know what i'm talking about.)

Oh and for all the Games with similar combat, i know not a single one that actually has comparable combat. People wish for it yes, but do you know a game that has it?

-SD-

Banned
The word from World of Risen forums is that Risen 3 is a "back to the roots" effort from Piranha Bytes. That could mean Gothic 1/2 style. I hope so!

Please keep Gothic 4 out of this thread, since it's not a PB game.

And yes, i think every game played with Swords, shields etc should take a good look at the Souls series. Not to copy the combat, but to give their own combat system a bit of the weight and feel of the weapons (I'm no native english speaker, so that may sound a bit off, but i think people know what i'm talking about.)

Oh and for all the Games with similar combat, i know not a single one that actually has comparable combat. People wish for it yes, but do you know a game that has it?

You speak as if the objectives of games was to have realistic combat.
Lots of games have arcade, unrealistic melee combat because that's what they want.

KHlover

Banned
It was much worse in my opinion, and in a lot of ways.

While I can agree with you that listening to the rabid Souls fans can become tiring after awhile, I must admit that an open world RPG designed by Piranha with a combat took directly from Dark Souls would top even a proper Dark Souls sequel on my hype scale, and not by a small degree.
And i don't even think Risen 1's combat system was half bad, for the record.
What Risen 1 combat system really needed was a better parry. There was a parry skill, but it didn't create much of an opening. At least it didn't hand out invincibility frames like candy though. Dark Souls just resetting player and enemy model and animation each time you backstab or parry an enemy and then giving you invincibility for the duration of the animation instantly broke any immersion for me.

Sentenza

On a side note, this artwork is quite dull. i seriously hope to get a better impression from in-game graphics.
I'm also a bit disappointed if they are going to ditch the pirate setting. It was the only thing I felt as an improvement over Risen 1 (well, that and the voice acting).

Dark Souls just resetting player and enemy model and animation each time you backstab or parry an enemy and then giving you invincibility for the duration of the animation instantly broke any immersion for me.
Eh, can't say I give a damn about it.
Quite the opposite: if you're going to have long ass animations (which i would gladly do without, anyway) you better be sure to give me invulnerability frames in the meantime, because if I'm getting killed while an unstoppable animation is playing I'm going to rage hard.

Dinda

You speak as if the objectives of games was to have realistic combat.
Lots of games have arcade, unrealistic melee combat because that's what they want.

I'm talking about Risen here, and that has definitely more of a realistic approach.

So if you feel better about it you can switch "all games" with "All games with realsitic combat ...." in my statement. And again, i didn't say they all should use it, but take a look at it and decide if it would benefit their own combat system. And in Risen's case i definitely think it would. That's all I'm saying.

KHlover

Banned
Neither did I btw. (Well of course I did in my response to another poster above, but not in my initial post). Just tired of seeing Dark Souls fans suggesting to make X more like DaS.

Fuck that.

Pyrrhus

That may be true but they need to throw out the Gothic era running and idling animations and start over with fresh stuff that looks more natural. It was bizarre seeing pirates gesticulate in a 2012 game using the same basic animations as people you'd see at the work camp in 1998's Gothic I.

Also, if they're going to give Risen Guy such a defined personality, they need to give his stupid ass a name. "You are the greatest hero of this land and a great historical figure and I will awkwardly use pronouns to avoid ever mentioning your name." And I wouldn't mind if they dropped pirates, but it does make their world building kind of stupid and incoherent at best.

Top Bottom