• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Risen 3: Titan Lords announced (Piranha Bytes)

Dennis

Banned
Here is part 2 of the lets play https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzlTyvO6p8c

You can see some combat and the cutest duck in gaming history. For your info, the preview is not a accurate representation how the actual game is. For example, you wouldnt be with the ghost friend when you visit the island for the first time, they just added him to the preview to show npc companions.

Thanks for the 30 second unskippable ad with this one, YouTube.

Zornica

Banned
I wish they'd go back, look at Gothic 1 and 2 and figure out what made them special. Instead of promising "more freedom" and "your choices will change the world", because that's exactly what ruined Gothic 3 for me - I still loved the non-story relevant exploring in the dessert and mountain area though.
I think they should go back to "guided freedom" like they used to have. Linear Story with intertwining branches and an "open world" with strong enemies placed anywhere you're not supposed to go yet.

I recently installed Risen 1 and played for about an hour but I just couldn't get into it, started up gothic2+addon and immediately lost track of time.

I should try G3 with the community patches sometime soon

whiteape

Apparently Piranha Developers claimed in a separate interview that this engine isn't fitted anymore for their future plans and they are going to change it entirely. Chances are they are going to license a new one (which honestly I think would be the best option for them).

Didn't knew that. It's the most interesting fact from the last days regarding Piranha Bytes.

Sentenza

I recently installed Risen 1 and played for about an hour but I just couldn't get into it, started up gothic2+addon and immediately lost track of time.
You should give Risen 1 another chance.
It's their closest thing to Gothic 2 and it has some genuinely good quests and areas.
One hour is very little to judge it, I'm not even sure if it includes going past the "tutorial" starting area; I'm going to guess in that time lapse you must have barely reached one of the three major hubs, if at all.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
yup like I said before this feel like Risen 2.5, even the combat is Risen 2 combat.

The combat still look flimsy and broken as all hell, The camera still loose during the combat and you can see how he can't hit the birds right. this wasn't Risen 1 case but something came with Risen 2 combat system and they are still using that awful system.

oh well.

They got back Gothic IP not long ago. so I think they get want to end Risen and go back to revive Gothic.

Maybe Risen 3 is just to get all the bad ideas out of the way before reviving Gothic.

Zornica

Banned
What addon on 2? I've been trying to give it a shot.

night of the raven, or whatever it's called in english. Best rpg addon ever - even though they went completely overboard with their difficulty settings.

You should give Risen 1 another chance.
It's their closest thing to Gothic 2 and it has some genuinely good quests and areas.
One hour is very little to judge it, I'm not even sure if it includes going past the "tutorial" starting area; I'm going to guess in that time lapse you must have barely reached one of the three major hubs, if at all.

I already beat the game a few years ago when it came out, that's kinda my problem. I just can't go back to it like I can with the gothic series. I beat gothic 1 and 2 at least 3 or 4 times each, I even beat gothic 3 (pre community-patch) twice. But for some reason, I just can't get into Risen. maybe it's the combat...? Maybe it's the dialogue or the voice acting or even the main character? I don't know. I'll give it another shot later this year - after I beat Gothic 2 again.

takoyaki

I'm seeing more and more signs to try Gothic 2 out after I'm finished with 3. (inb4h8rs(

Gothic 2 is the reason I played Gothic3, Risen1, Risen2 (and even Arcania). The only one that got the formula right was Risen1 (and maybe G3 after many patches, haven't tried it since launch). Gothic2 was such an atmospheric masterpiece that I get my hopes up every time they release a new game, give it a shot if you like their style of game.

syko de4d

with the mod The Returning Gothic2 turns into a very hard 200-300hour rpg :D

They still working on 2.0, no idea if you can find a english version. Mod is from russia and there is a german version.

Gothic 3 + CP 1.75 + Quest pack 4 + Content Mod 2.6 + Consequences Mod can be pretty good too (edit: and long 150-250hours), but again no idea if you can get these in english.

Zukuu

Banned
Looks promising. I get a Gothic vibe from it. After recently re-playing Gothic 1 again, I'm thirsting for a new Gothic-like experience. (will replay G2 and G3 prior to the hopefully next Gothic game as well). I do liked Risen 1, although it didn't have the charm that Gothic had. Lousy story, no real rememberable character and uninteresting PC, but it was a band-aid for my Gothic itch. Risen 2 was just meh in my opinion. Finished it nonetheless, but I hated the setting and pretty much everything else about the game. World was boring and limited, Voodoo <> Musketeer thing was just plain uninteresting and poorly implemented. This looks awesome however. Hope they'll turn down alchemy tho. That breaks the games since its implementation in Gothic 2. I had like 55 strength in Risen 1, found a weapon that needed 100 strength quite early (which was one of the best, but very heavy so you couldn't wear it till end game normally). Once I learned alchemy, I immediately brew 11(!) +5 strength potions and voila: The game turned into a joke with 110 strength (doubly my base stats) and one of the best weapons in the game.

Will get the game a 100%. Huge fan of PB games.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Gothic 2 is the reason I played Gothic3, Risen1, Risen2 (and even Arcania). The only one that got the formula right was Risen1 (and maybe G3 after many patches, haven't tried it since launch). Gothic2 was such an atmospheric masterpiece that I get my hopes up every time they release a new game, give it a shot if you like their style of game.

If you want to try Gothic 3 out again, get it on GoG, it comes pre-loaded with the fan patches, which supposedly make the game a much more pleasant experience.

takoyaki

If you want to try Gothic 3 out again, get it on GoG, it comes pre-loaded with the fan patches, which supposedly make the game a much more pleasant experience.

Thanks for the tip, I'll wait and see how Risen 3 turns out. If it's more like Risen 2 than 1, I'll get Gothic3 from GoG instead and give that game another shot.

Ricker

Insta buy,specially if the PC supports the 360 controller as soon as it's plugged in...(it did for the first 2 so shouldn't be a problem).

-SD-

Banned
Wow... you (almost) perfectly described my relationship with Piranha Bytes. In my case, the original trigger was Gothic, which was then hugely strengthened by Gothic 2.

The aftershock of those two games released 13 and 11 years ago still rages on...

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
the game looks bad. I couldn't stand "stuttering" shadows in Risen 2 and they are still present here.

Zukuu

Banned
the game looks bad. I couldn't stand "stuttering" shadows in Risen 2 and they are still present here.

You could fix most graphical issues yourself in Risen 2 via ini tweaking. I solved all issues that way (pop ins, changing size in plants, view range, shadows etc). Just give it a few days and the community (including myself) will have figured out how to solve them. You can then just download or copy / paste the .ini.

Zarx

- Apparently Piranha Developers claimed in a separate interview that this engine isn't fitted anymore for their future plans and they are going to change it entirely. Chances are they are going to license a new one (which honestly I think would be the best option for them).

Hmm is the RED engine available to license yet? I know they were planning on licensing it out at some point. And given it's built to do non linear RPGs seems like a good fit.

Sentenza

Hmm is the RED engine available to license yet? I know they were planning on licensing it out at some point. And given it's built to do non linear RPGs seems like a good fit.
Who knows, but quite honestly if I was a developer looking to license a new engine, I would probably go for something more tried and tested, and (most likely) with better support and documentation.

Some Nobody

Has anything new come out about this game? Saw a GameInformer link that talked about a magical guild and the basic plot of the story, but you'd think there'd be more information out about a game that's due out...roughly a month and a half from now.

Some Nobody

Boo to only last gen and PC.

Been known for awhile. They picked a great time to release it, though. August is the last month before things like Destiny and the big current-gen games start to hit. Could be a good swan song for RPG fans if it's any good.

Top Bottom