• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Risen 3: Titan Lords - Enhanced Edition announced exclusively for PS4

Alo0oy

Banned
Besides Indie devs and mostly small Japanese publishers, which is 100% understandable (there's not any point to porting something like Omega Quintet to the XB1), what other publishers are skipping the platform lately?

You're kidding yourself if you think it's just "mostly small" japanese devs, almost all japanese games are skipping XB1 with a few exceptions.

And what is Ubi's excuse? :p

FC4 CE is EMEA exclusive, that doesn't mean Ubi won't support Xbox anymore.

While it is a curious development in the case of Far Cry 4, 2 games hardly constitutes a "pattern".

Yeah it is going to take more than a remaster and a game of the year edition before any conclusions can be reached.

What I can see being a problem for the Xbox One is most of the big games from Japan missing out the console.

Stanng243

This is the third European game this is happening to this summer?

I believe Arcania The Complete Tale is PS4 exclusive and Legend of Kay Anniversary is coming to PS4 and Wii U.

Edit: Multiple Japanese games are skipping the Xbox One.

SeanTSC

You're kidding yourself if you think it's just "mostly small" japanese devs, almost all japanese games are skipping XB1 with a few exceptions.

Most Japanese devs are pretty small. I also buy nearly every niche title from them and I have a PS4 with absolutely no plans to ever pick up a XB1 unless something changes drastically. So no need for the hostility. Their exclusivity really isn't any different from what happened with the PS3, which small Japanese devs also mostly exclusively developed for. So far there really hasn't been anything that isn't business as usual except for Street Fighter V. Unless I'm forgetting something huge the rest of it is pretty much As Expected.

FC4 CE is EMEA exclusive, that doesn't mean Ubi won't support Xbox anymore.

And yeah that seemed purely like a regional one-off.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
The game was awful. Dumb story (plus no proper outro), poor combat mechanics, tons of fetch quests, a lot of the stuff is copy-paste from Risen 2.

Dinda

Are all the issues fixed that AngryJoe brought up when he reviewed this game?

If they would fix anything of the stuff that Angry Joe hates about the Game. All of the people that like Piranha Bytes Games would probably start to hate them.

Edit:
This isn't against him personally. But they just doesn't match.

Stainless

This was on my potential buy list for ps3, but if I recall, it didn't perform very well or there was some other reason I held off on it. If this version turns out to be pretty good with a reasonable price, I'll definitely give it a shot.

Percy

Banned
While it is a curious development in the case of Far Cry 4, 2 games hardly constitutes a "pattern".

There are others besides those. For example, didn't a PS4 version of Arcania come out last week that also skipped XB1? That one was on PS3/360 last year.

You're implying Xbox One has no games.

Not my intention. I thought I was just making a joke about it not having good exclusives compared to Wii U (Entirely subjective obvs) tbh :/

Durante

Cheers chief, worth a look?
Isn't this game total shit?
No, it's pretty good.

It's also pretty nice looking considering that it's open world with no baked lighting (day/night cycle) and a small budget: (some of my gameplay shots, downsampled from 4k)
screenshot_2014-08-17fjsp4.jpg
screenshot_2014-08-15visyy.jpg

screenshot_2014-08-158bs6o.jpg
screenshot_2014-08-17g6s6c.jpg

I hope more people give it a shot.

It does abundantly feature what people like to classify as "Euro-jank", so how much you can enjoy it is directly related to how much it bothers you when a game's ambition exceeds its budget.

Handy Fake

It does abundantly feature what people like to classify as "Euro-jank", so how much you can enjoy it is directly related to how much it bothers you when a game's ambition exceeds its budget.

And I'm afraid you're going to have to define "euro-jank" for me too, hehe.

Durante

And I'm afraid you're going to have to define "euro-jank" for me too, hehe.
I guess you could call it a lack of polish induced by the developers including more mechanics and features than they have time to repeatedly iterate on and playtest.

Personally, I often enjoy games classified that way (like Risen, or Stalker), but some people can't stand it.

Dominator

Never played these games (or Gothic), does anybody have a comparison to any other series? Is the combat like anything popular?

The sly remarks regarding consoles in here is ridiculous

I guess you could call it a lack of polish induced by the developers including more mechanics and features than they have time to repeatedly iterate on and playtest.

This is a perfect explanation of it.

I'd much rather have euro-jank than oversimplification ala Skyrim

SeanTSC

Personally, I often enjoy games classified that way (like Risen, or Stalker), but some people can't stand it.

For me I think "Euro-jank" is how Third Person Camera and Movement and Combat works. There's like always something that doesn't really feel right with them. The rest of it is all just "yay video game stuff" that I don't mind at all or even like.

Handy Fake

Ah right, I see. Not something I mind.
Cheers for being patient. ;)

Alo0oy

Banned
Most Japanese devs are pretty small. I also buy nearly every niche title from them and I have a PS4 with absolutely no plans to ever pick up a XB1 unless something changes drastically. So no need for the hostility. Their exclusivity really isn't any different from what happened with the PS3, which small Japanese devs also mostly exclusively developed for. So far there really hasn't been anything that isn't business as usual except for Street Fighter V. Unless I'm forgetting something huge the rest of it is pretty much As Expected.

Oh I wasn't being hostile, sorry if I sounded that way!

Anyway, there are plenty of japanese games that aren't small that are skipping XB1, like Dragon's Dogma, Star Ocean, Tales of, Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy XIV, & Deep Down just off the top of my head, those games aren't "small" in any way.

Hexa

Anyway, there are plenty of japanese games that aren't small that are skipping XB1, like Dragon's Dogma, Star Ocean, Tales of, Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy XIV, & Deep Down just off the top of my head, those games aren't "small" in any way.

Eh? Depends on your definition of small I guess. Dragon's Dogma and Deep Down are F2P. Star Ocean, Tales, and Dragon Quest aren't going to break 1 mil sales most probably but who knows I guess. Honestly, the biggest Japanese exclusive you have is the one you didn't mention, Persona 5, which most likely will.
SFV is the only really big third party exclusive so far I think. The other big stuff like MGS, FF, KH, etc. are still multiplat.

FF14 isn't because sales though.

SeanTSC

Well, Tales isn't exactly Big and there was *one* Xbox Tales game with the rest being exclusive past that - Xillia 1/2, Graces F, Symphonia Chronicles, and Zestiria all skipped the X360. Just, I guess none of that really surprises me is all. So many Japanese games were PS3 only even when the X360 was huge. if Star Ocean 4 had come out like 2 years later than it did I'd bet it'd have been PS3 exclusive too.

The Capcom stuff is the only ones that have felt even a little bit out of the ordinary with Dragon's Dogma and SFV.

Stanng243

Eh? Depends on your definition of small I guess. Dragon's Dogma and Deep Down are F2P. Star Ocean, Tales, and Dragon Quest aren't going to break 1 mil sales most probably but who knows I guess. Honestly, the biggest Japanese exclusive you have is the one you didn't mention, Persona 5, which most likely will.
SFV is the only really big third party exclusive so far I think. The other big stuff like MGS, FF, KH, etc. are still multiplat.

I'm more surprised at the small European games skipping the Xbox One. We've got this one, and 2 Nordic Games that I know of. Arcania the Complete Tale comes this month, and next month The Legend of Kay Anniversary edition is exclusive to the PS4 and Wii U.

ShogunX

Decent game for anybody who is feeling a bit starved of open world RPG games. It's not quite as focused as some of the bigger titles but if it's reasonably priced you could do a lot worse.

I played a bit of Risen 1, skipped Risen 2 though, and didn't even know 3 was a thing. I'll entertain grabbing this during the usual summer lull

MayMay

Banned
Another game skipping XB1, huh? Definitely worth a purchase though, it's a great game.

Even Risen 2 was still fun to explore but it downgraded so much and the combat made me worried it would literally give me cancer.

I have trouble getting excited for 3. Even though I consider myself a PB fan.

Ehh, 3 is miles better than 2. Game got improved in pretty much all areas. Combat is still a little wonky - especially the magic part.. but it's certainly better than 2.

I really really really disliked 2, but I enjoyed my time with 3.

DryvBy

Risen 3's issue was that its PS3 and 360 versions were utter crap, like really, really bad. Definitely not the finest German engineering. The PC version scored decently, though, so the content of the game should be okay-ish.

I have this on PC and it's pretty fun if you're looking for a B game.

Rymuth

do you ever not-troll? seriously? or when you wake up do you think I'll get those pesky xbots with this line.
Now, now, statham. Don't break character. :) - take deep breaths.

I do love me some Euro-jank now and again. There was a particularly fun game on the OG Xbox made by ex-Tomb Raider creators, I believe. Plus, Two Worlds was hilarious at times.

I played this a bit on PC. It's easily the best in the Risen series. A decent pirate RPG. A PS4 remaster might be worth looking into if done well

Will consider a purchase if dragon age turns out to be as mediocre as a lot of people here on GAF proclaim it to be.
And I did love Gothic 1 even though there were similar complaints of 'jankiness' against that game at the time of its release.

This is the best news. Thank you PB. This is coming to the UK, right? I've imported my Euro Jank from Germany on more than one occasion. I'll do it again if I have to.

Top Bottom