• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

River City Ransom: Underground, a licensed sequel to River City Ransom (Kickstarter)

CTLance

I had completely forgotten about this. Hopped in with 40 minutes left to the campaign. Thankfully GAF was melting down, so I had time to check my spam folder and discover the kickstarter reminder mail. Close shave, so to speak.

Looking forward to the game, wish the team the best.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Things like this BELONG on consoles! Who Crowds around their PC or Laptop for 4 player Beat-em'ups? XD

At any rate, I'm quite glad the KS ended with meeting it's goal, a stretch goal, and money to spare. They do have new gangs, shops, shopkeepers, 32 generic enemies that'll get special names, and at least 12 non-playable unique citizens to add to the game, as well as a special area for Backer credits to be plastered.

I might up my Pledge in the coming weeks through Paypal... The recent army of KS's has pushed me pretty thin, but this is one that I'm also most interested in actually playing...

mosaic

go eat paint
I read in the comments that they're making the unclaimed Kickstarter rewards available through PayPal. You need to contact them through Kickstarter and they'll confirm an amount to pledge on their PayPal page.

Info here:

http://rivercityransom.com/kickstarter

Not bad for any latecomers that might want Crate Expectations 2, a CD/poster, or any of the "get your name/self/etc into the game" rewards...

OmegaDL50

The latest PayPal total is: $3,300 CAD, so they are at ~$220K

Only 60k more until they reach the PS4 and Vita Goals. 30 days is a lot of time for additional PayPal pledges, so perhaps it may reach it.

mosaic

go eat paint
Hahaha, OMG, they mentioned me in their shout outs in the latest post: "the record number of pledge increases probably in the history of the universe."

I don't know about that, but I must say that between interacting with them on Kickstarter and seeing the extra helpers they have, my psyched level gradually and constantly increased over time.

Paskil

I always find it confusing why the first stretch goal is nearly always Apple/Linux. If they want to sell their game, they should be aiming for consoles. Supporting Apple/Linux might give you a little love from a very vocal, very small minority, but you aren't really doing yourself any sales favors.

If I was an indie, I would be trying to get my game onto PC/PS3/360/3DS. Of course, I like money...

sörine

Banned
I always find it confusing why the first stretch goal is nearly always Apple/Linux. If they want to sell their game, they should be aiming for consoles. Supporting Apple/Linux might give you a little love from a very vocal, very small minority, but you aren't really doing yourself any sales favors.

If I was an indie, I would be trying to get my game onto PC/PS3/360/3DS. Of course, I like money...
Indies aren't doing so great on XBLA anymore and 3DS is a harder conversion usually, worst case like making a ground up game. Aiming at consoles and depending on your engine and genre I think some combination of PS3, Vita and Wii U makes the most sense right now. Maybe PS4 and X1 down the line too.

Looking ahead Linux isn't a bad idea considering Steam OS/machines.

japtor

Pretty sure it's cause it's based on costs, not potential sales. Porting and releasing on other open computing platforms is going to be relatively easy and cheap compared to consoles (although the console makers are trying to improve that).

Hiltz

Hopefully, River City Ransom: Underground gets ported to some of the other consoles. Looks pretty cool.

Speaking of other kickstarters, there's this one for what looks like another claymation-based title called Knite & The Ghost Lights. It's currently planned for PC,Maxc, Linus and Wii U. There's some music samples to check out too. Unfortunately, it only has 15 days left and still needs $20k to hit its initial funding goal, then the $85-95k for next-gen home console stretch goals.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2011341880/knite-and-the-ghost-lights?ref=live

Or rather, spending copious amounts of it on console ports instead of much less on Apple/Linux ports?

The certification for these consoles/porting is expensive as fuck, as is. 360 is a wasteland, 3DS is a tiny number and if you were aiming for technical prowess/resolution, 3DS is also just not ideal. PS3 is a bitch and a half to program for. (Sportsfriends hit 150K to mostly pay for porting to console).

Super happy these guys made it. I've been promised the beta, but might still throw in for an early preorder..

We are not in Tahiti

Hello! Remember us? We're those people making that sequel to that game! And only because of you. It's been two weeks, and we wanted to touch base to let you know how things are going. We haven't actually received your amazing pledges yet, but expect to any day now. Once we do, we'll be able to get a number of major initiatives off the ground. More on that later. In the meantime we've been gearing up for full scale development. Dustin has been hard at work on our game design document. Daniel has been setting up for parallel cross-platform development in Windows/Mac/Linux using a special version of MonoGame by developer extraordinaire Ethan Lee that runs SDL2, a solid cross-platform media library. Bannon has been crushing sprites like a man possessed. Mark is in a cave contemplating combat.

Our PayPal campaign is fighting the good fight

As of today we've raised a cool $7,621.70 CAD on PayPal, bringing us to $225,236.33 CAD of pledged dollars. It won't exactly equal this amount after fees, declined cards, etc., but this is great progress and we thank every PayPal backer for their support. Some of you pledged in both places, which is amazing to us. Remember, if your bank declined your pledge while you were away, or Kickstarter Canada wouldn't accept your card, there's still hope. We're running the PayPal campaign until November 9th at 11:59PM and you can still pledge for the same great stuff on Kickstarter. All proceeds go towards stretch goals. We're ~$55,000 CAD away from PS4/Vita. It's a long shot, but stranger things have happened. Either way, we did it, and we're making this game for you, so sit back and enjoy the ride.

http://rivercityransom.com/kickstarter

CamHostage

By the way, I know there have been questions about the art style and how faithful it'll be to the series, but at least it's being done the way the hardcore deserve. In Japan, Kunio has falled to two forms of the dark side: Tower Defense, and mobile gaming platforms...

http://www.arith-metic.jp/kuniokun/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yalW7-VUu1E
point02.jpg

...anything to sustain the franchise, I suppose (I'm kidding about the whole "dark side" thing, mostly,) but I'm sure glad there's a RCR game in development with button-pounding still coming our way.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
The game seems to be moving along, and the emails that post forum update information have been some of the most consistent I've received from my currently-backed Kickstarters / IGGs. But with the first update of the New Year, we get to see a preview of the nearly-complete JP cover art by Nina Matsumoto!

I rather like the mix of Japanese cover mainstays, without being too cluttered; clutter really doesn't bother me on JP covers (I like the "bursting at the seams: aspect), but this attempts a nice balance.

CamHostage

I rather like the mix of Japanese cover mainstays, without being too cluttered; clutter really doesn't bother me on JP covers (I like the "bursting at the seams: aspect), but this attempts a nice balance.

Right, I think "balance" is an important term. Trying to hide this game's origins as a Canadian-programmed (but internationally influenced) project in order to sell it as "true River City Ransom" would to my mind be a mistake. Better to be the thing it needs to be and the thing the team can make, with the original Technos products as a guide. My feeling is they will get closer to what RCR should be by being true to themselves and their passion for original game than to slavishly try to replicate it.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Right, I think "balance" is an important term. Trying to hide this game's origins as a Canadian-programmed (but internationally influenced) project in order to sell it as "true River City Ransom" would to my mind be a mistake. Better to be the thing it needs to be and the thing the team can make, with the original Technos products as a guide. My feeling is they will get closer to what RCR should be by being true to themselves and their passion for original game than to slavishly try to replicate it.

Aye, I think that's one of the reasons this re-imaging works so well for me, too; they didn't present themselves as just RCR + some new stages = sequel, but as something that really looks at Technos, Kunio, River City, and all the games and similar inspiration in between, and tries to make a dream project for older fans who can relate to all these varied inspirations.

The potential ideas of adding things like vehicle travel segments, co-op attacks, and a slew of very unique characters, seems like the kind of elements that can fit in the universe, but that the original devteam probably wouldn't aspire to themselves, from looking at the games that have been release in Japan as of late. You can see elements of lots of these ideas within games from the time, even from Technos themselves, but they didn't make it into the Kunio series, or never got much chance to grow and expand beyond a single iteration.

The Tshift designs popped up on Tumblr as well, so might as well show them off here, too!

tumblr_myup2myFYV1qdzszpo2_500.gif

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
186de577ead36e3d85f9be5aeae1249a_large.jpg

...the US style cover, drawn by Udon's GENZOMAN, who also did the art for Double Dragon Neon.

They've also had to face the horrors of Exchange rates messing with their money, and have added 2 more people to their team, to help with networking and coding!

hymanator

I'm starting to get worried if this project will ever see the light of day. The rights to River City Ransom have recently been sold, according to Destructoid:

Arc System Works has just informed Destructoid that it has acquired the rights to Double Dragon, the Kunio-Kun series (River City Ransom), and Super Dodge Ball.

http://www.arcsystemworks.jp/technos/

Not sure if they are going to be able to work something out or not, but this seemed to happen at the worst possible time when a "Summer 2015" release was announced in March.

CamHostage

I'm starting to get worried if this project will ever see the light of day. The rights to River City Ransom have recently been sold, according to Destructoid:

http://www.arcsystemworks.jp/technos/

ArcSystemWorks has been a major partner for Technos for ages now, so I'm not sure there'll be any difference in business other than that Million would have more stability and resources, and eventually ASW might take the brands it now owns and rework them with other teams.

(There was a thread earlier about the buyout that was super-enthusiastic for the future of Technos, but a) the relationship pre-existed, and b) the Technos properties most people have been interested in, Kunio-Kun, has already been quite active in recent years... but only in Japan. So maybe things will change with ArcSystemWorks in the mix, but let's not overexcite ourselves for a new dawn when things could also just proceed as of now. It'd be great if it happened, but nobody should start pointing fingers if it doesn't.)

The developer of RCR Underground is said to be in talks with ASW, so hopefully we'll get word on that soon.

Zubz

Banned
Some Abobo GIFs from the latest update (they're aiming for a summer 2015 release):

0ab07e84d357aa02c11e0487cd0d8e0b_large.gif

c298a4df228d191a4061ce48adea75b4_large.gif

b6d8bc7e0b73a1ffc7cda502a2637dee_large.gif

Oh, dude, Abobo's in this?!

I keep forgetting I backed this game. Honestly, I was beginning to wonder if it'd ever come out. I'm not so sure about a Summer 2015 release at this point, but I'm definitely hoping to get my hands on this game soon!

KevinCow

Banned
This looks awesome! I'd never heard of this before. I played the original a lot as a little kid, though I never got very far.

Drazgul

I just learned that this exists. And I want it now. Must've beat the original on NES (it was called Street Gangs here for some reason) 10+ times.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Since they are going through Steam Greenlight, does that mean the issues with rights has been settled? Trailer looks great.

Apparently they had the rights since the beginning.

While Technōs is no more, a new company, Million Co., was founded by former Technōs staff, acquiring the rights to all intellectual property in 2001. We acquired a license from Million in April [of 2013] to make an official installment in the series, which means we're on the hook to make sure our game can exist in the River City canon.

CamHostage

So happy to have backed this, it's been a long time in coming but as Kickstarters go there's been a lot of progress updates (though the rights thing never was totally swept away, although signs seem to point to ArkSystemWorks honoring the original Millions agreement now that ASW owns the Technos franchises) and the product looks phenomenal.

For long-time Technos fans, there are some great nods to games outside RCR (like the devastating flying knee and helicopter kick that rewarded mastery of Double Dragon II.) And the addition of a chi meter to keep super techniques on a cooldown should encourage a variety of techniques. Plus the physics are complex yet stupid enough that you can stack characters carrying boxes carrying characters carrying boxes...

I'm confident these guys are on their way to making the original RCR/Street Gangs/Downtown Nekketsu Story team proud.

Elixist

looks dope. the animating is great. looks like quite a bit of variety already as well. i hope the camera sees some more work i'd like it to be smoother and less stuttery.

Well ArcSys owns the rights now but everything seems to be cool between them.

It looks like they just have the rights to River City Ransom which is technically just an Americanizd Kunio-kun game. Are the two old guys still known Alex and Ryan? The game looks like it takes place in an American setting.

Victrix

*beard*
Animation looks amazing.

The player was kind of hard to distinguish from the enemies in bigger packs just cuz they all use the same art style, but it's probably not an issue when you're actually in control.

KTallguy

Banned
This looks much better than when they first showed it. I want it on Vita.

Some Paul Robertson influences in that trailer ;)

Top Bottom