• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Riverdale |OT| Teen Peaks (or: Archie's Weirder Mysteries) - Thursday, 9/8c on The CW

cj_iwakura

gE7kmB8.jpg

Watch it here! (In the US, presumably)
The live-action series offers a bold, subversive take on Archie, Betty, Veronica, and their friends, exploring small-town life and the darkness and weirdness bubbling beneath Riverdale's wholesome facade.

The show will focus on the eternal love triangle of Archie Andrews, girl-next-door Betty Cooper, and rich socialite Veronica Lodge, and will include the entire cast of characters from the comic books—including Archie's rival, Reggie Mantle, and his slacker best friend, Jughead Jones.

As a new school year begins, the town of Riverdale is reeling from the recent, tragic death of high school golden boy Jason Blossom, and nothing feels the same. Archie Andrews (KJ Apa) is still the all-American teen, but the summer's events made him realize that he wants to pursue a career in music -- not follow in his dad's footsteps--despite the sudden end of his forbidden relationship with Riverdale's young music teacher, Ms. Grundy.

HHsiTKk.jpg

KJ Apa as Archie Andrews

Cole Sprouse as Forsythe 'Jughead' Jones

Lili Reinhart as Betty Cooper

Camila Mendes as Veronica Lodge

Madelaine Petch as Cheryl Blossom

Ashleigh Murray as Josie McCoy(and as seen with The Pussycats)

Also featuring: Ross Butler as Reggie Mantle, Cody Kearsley as Moose, Daniel Yang as Dilton, Shannon Purser as Ethyl, Sarah Habel as Ms. Grundy, Molly Ringwald as Mary Andrews, Luke Perry as Fred Andrews.

Reviews
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/riverdale/s01/ (Currently at 100%!)
The show Riverdale reminds me of the most is The O.C. - another show that took a seemingly worn-out teen-soap formula and reenergized it to create something altogether new... and addictive.

The CW needed something to fill the hole in die-hard Vampire Diaries fans' hearts when the series ends this year. They've succeeded with Riverdale. It's full of pretty teenagers, terrible parents and a murder mystery right from the start. The Archie comics are bright, bubbly and a little weird. Riverdale is a darker, less wholesome take.

This Riverdale revels in irony, perversity and ambiguity. It has the look of a drama set in the recent past – that period to which Donald Trump refers when he brays about making America great again – but it is emphatically set in the present. A present in which Veronica can be designated as looking like Betty Draper in a certain season of Mad Men. And a present in which the perceived serenity of the recent past is recast as a fraud, and then is remounted as a world utterly lacking in traditional morality. Coming immediately after a topsy-turvy year, Riverdale feels like a gesture of disenchantment. In that itself, it's popular culture with a Trump-ian twist – a complete loss of innocence

Riverdale is going to be a great success to those already fans of material like this. It's nothing new, it's just the latest addition to the pile. Insane for sure, but what's a prime-time soap if not maddening?

Ci0omhkUgAAk6nL.jpg:large

Pre-Release Hype Thread"

good year for small town mystery stuff. Riverdale for now and then the GOAT on May 21st. glad they went this direction with their Archie show. Betty really does remind me of betty draper from mad men like that review mentions.

edit: wait they said veronica? i don't see that, but either way i love the look of both girls in here.

yunbuns

The show Riverdale reminds me of the most is The O.C. - another show that took a seemingly worn-out teen-soap formula and reenergized it to create something altogether new... and addictive.

Okay this and Josie and the Pussycats being all black has me a lot more interested than I was before. Also is it just me or does Veronica look a lot like that girl from The Originals?

Axiom

I'm a lifelong Archie fan who is super looking forward to this and frankly nothing about this ever gave me pause. I saw what they were going for, it's not traditional Archie, but it looked great.

In the 90s alone I read Archie comics where they were undersea explorers, Jughead as stool-stitting dimension traveler, Jughead as time cop and the gang racing RC cars across America - I don't mind taking these characters and putting them in new situations.

The only thing that's really bothers me is that Jughead isn't asexual in the show. That seems a real betrayal of a core character trait that would make the show stand out even more.

Pilgrimzero

I'm a lifelong Archie fan who is super looking forward to this and frankly nothing about this ever gave me pause. I saw what they were going for, it's not traditional Archie, but it looked great.

In the 90s alone I read Archie comics where they were undersea explorers, Jughead as stool-stitting dimension traveler, Jughead as time cop and the gang racing RC cars across America - I don't mind taking these characters and putting them in new situations.

The only thing that's really bothers me is that Jughead isn't asexual in the show. That seems a real betrayal of a core character trait that would make the show stand out even more.

They said he dates girls but would also explore his sexuality. Which means he will with discover he is asexual or gay.

And seeing as how asexual tends to means less sexy drama I could bet they make him gay.

JSevere

here for that Greg Berlanti goodness

started reading the recent comics a few weeks ago to familiarize myself with the characters, they're pretty good

Got

Banned
really looking forward to this. Afterlife with Archie would make a great series swerve for this too.

UberTag

I have no interest in this but I think it's awesome that they've cast Molly Ringwald and Luke Perry as Archie's parents.

oatmeal

Banned
Fuck yeah, can't wait!

I'm a sucker for all Twin Peaks-esque things even though the, 99% of the time, disappoint.

Got

Banned
The whole Twin Peaks thing everyone keeps saying about this made me think it was a stealth Afterlife with Archie show.

it would be unbelievable. far too ballsy for them to do but maybe they'd be compelled by the success of The Walking Dead. At least a Halloween mini-series please.

edit:

well then

This makes me so happy. I love Afterlife with Archie

It's actually kind of scary. Hopefully they include Sabrina and her series too. Halloween themes for her series would be amazing as well.

Top Bottom