• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Riviera ~ The Promised Land: Why the Hell isn't this game praised MORE?

Dragona Akehi

Retired
Jun 5, 2004
15,259
0
0
During my involuntary exile from the wonderful world of the internets, I finally had a chance to play Riveria.

Aisha can gradne, this game totally ****ing rocks! Why the hell don't I see more loving here?

It's a neat take on the Dungeon crawler crossed with PC adventure, what with the Tech Points and Looking for artifacts (aka AWESOME TREASURE).

Beautiful sprites and absolutely fantastic music (especially for the GBA!) which very much reminds me of the score from Valkyrie Profile. In a good way, not in a "ZOMG they totally ripped this shit off"! Hats off to Atlus for an excellent localization and voice acting (little though it is).

The battle system everyone seemed rather cool to was excellent. I love that you gain skills and stats for mastering a specific weapon, and that weapons break. It's a much better idea than getting EXP and then levelling up.

The fact that certain weapon types determine WHOM/WHAT you attack makes perfect sense, what was all the complaints for? If you wanted to hit the entire front row, use a goddamned scythe! All complaints are NULL AND VOID.

Gaining points for successfully dodging traps or finding "the awesome secrets", along with conserving your moves and getting excellent grades in battle only motivates me to keep playing the game over and over.

My only qualm with the game, honestly (besides needing maybe four dungeons and a bonus dungeon), is that you can only have one page of items/weapons! SUX0R.

I always knew ST!NG had good games in them (while I didn't really like Evolution, it definately had potential).

Riviera deserves YOUR APPRECIATIN', BIZNATCHES. BRING ON YGGDRA UNION!
 

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Jul 17, 2005
42,031
3
1,840
Funny you mentioned this, since my idiot friend bought it like 2 days ago. Seems pretty cool.
 

Dragona Akehi

Retired
Jun 5, 2004
15,259
0
0
Archie said:
lolirific art
That's the only other problem.

demi said:
Um, we praised it when it came out.

Then we realised, it's pretty boring and badly broken.

Maybe that was just me.
Demi: get out of my LOVE THREAD, unless you're here to APPRECIATE one of the BEST GBA games of ALL TIME. You don't see me bitching in your Advent Rising fappatons. :p
 

kiryogi

Banned
Jun 6, 2004
13,552
0
0
I praised it, I fought the haters. I did my job. Now just waiting on Yggdra Union, which I hear is prequel to Riviera.
 

oBa

Member
Jun 7, 2004
347
0
0
demi said:
Um, we praised it when it came out.

Then we realised, it's pretty boring and badly broken.

Maybe that was just me.

Not just you, I loved it when I first started playing it, but it became less charming every time I sat down to play it. It got to the point where I became completely disillusioned with the combat system and the linearity of it all, and never bothered to pick it up again. I will still admit that it's gorgeous for a gba game though.
 

Jiggy

Member
Sep 10, 2005
12,563
0
0
Because the battle animations are unskippable and the enemies have hugely inflated amounts of health. If at least one of those factors was taken away, the game could have had potential.
 

Dragona Akehi

Retired
Jun 5, 2004
15,259
0
0
Jiggy37 said:
Because the battle animations are unskippable and the enemies have hugely inflated amounts of health. If at least one of those factors was taken away, the game could have had potential.
Battle animations are quick, and enemies had too little health if anything. I was killing most enemies in two or three turns...

I really don't get the complaints. I've been addicted to this game and played it through twice in a row! I have an itching to go back to it again.
 

MrDaravon

Member
Mar 24, 2005
23,460
1
0
39
Possibly because I've never seen it on a store shelf ever. I think pretty much everyone who bought it did so at or around release and did blew their appreciative loads a few months ago at least.
 

Dragona Akehi

Retired
Jun 5, 2004
15,259
0
0
demi said:
Did you do the bonus dungeon and beat Lucifer?
You have given me my reason to play the game a THIRD time.

(I can't believe I missed a BONUS DUNGEON...LASJdAKLJD). Then again, I don't gamefaqs things normally, and how you get that thing seems very random... I think that's the only artifact I'm missing.

john: how is it broken? The fights are too easy! The only remotely challenging boss is the final one, and even then he got pwnz0red!
 

Hero

Member
Jun 6, 2004
14,960
2
1,360
I still have this game sealed. I buy a decent amount of Atlus' catalog just because I know they become quite rare quickly. I'll have to play through it soon.
 

Johnas

Member
Feb 2, 2005
6,570
0
0
Dragona Akehi said:
(aka AWESOME TREASURE)
aka PHAT LEWT

This game looked kind of interesting, but I can't seem to really get into long handheld games, I just prefer shorter titles.
 

Wraith

Member
Mar 7, 2005
1,724
0
0
Like some other people in this thread, I played about half way through the game and just got totally bored with it. Leveling up each item for each character every time you get something new burned me out quick.

However, the art is truly great.
 

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Jul 26, 2004
28,051
7
0
Long Island, NY
It looks nice and has some clever ideas. Didn't like the excessive dialogue, the randomness of who you attack in battle, the "training" to upgrade weapons, or the fact that the backgrounds repeat frequently.
 

Amir0x

Banned
Oct 27, 2004
103,711
3
0
36
Nowhere, PA
it's really shallow and i don't like how restricted movement is through dungeons, but i suppose that's part of its charm for some people. so i called it a 'meh', although i can see its appeal. loli baths were going too far, i must say!

 

Dragona Akehi

Retired
Jun 5, 2004
15,259
0
0
Amir0x said:
it's really shallow and i don't like how restricted movement is through dungeons, but i suppose that's part of its charm for some people. so i called it a 'meh', although i can see its appeal. loli baths were going too far, i must say!
*shudder* Don't REMIND me...
 

ethelred

Member
Dec 19, 2005
16,019
1
0
djtiesto said:
It looks nice and has some clever ideas. Didn't like the excessive dialogue, the randomness of who you attack in battle, the "training" to upgrade weapons, or the fact that the backgrounds repeat frequently.
Eh? There is no randomness in battle at all, except with weapons that specifically say "random."

Game's not random! It's all about planning ahead with what weapons you need (and what attacks/skills are generated from that weapon for each character) and then picking from your limited options for the best strategy.

In that sense, it's like a new take on Matsuno's ideas behind Ogre Battle... where the actions that take place within the battle are determined ahead of time based on the squad strategy you pick. In this case, though, it's items. Each item has a predetermined use for each character (or a failure, which is random).

There's no randomness. People that complain "random" are just either not playing the game right or are missing out on one of its best and most brilliant innovations.
 

Filter

Member
May 8, 2006
933
0
1,095
Was this game released in PAL land? I think I remember reading that it was, but that it was given a different name?
anyone know what's up?
My little sister wanted it but I can't track it down.
 

Tarazet

Member
Dec 13, 2004
23,036
4
0
37
I know a Gamestop where I could still buy a brand-new copy.. I already got one and sold it for $50. Maybe that guy who bought it from me for $70 two weeks after release ultimately got a good deal after all.
 

Koshiba

Member
May 26, 2005
3,643
0
0
31
Lakeland, FL
www.facebook.com
My ex bought the game for me a long while back as a gift.. I haven't had the chance to start on the game yet. ( I still need to get myself a new charger. ) Though maybe I'll make sure this is the next game I start. :) I liked the art style myself and it looked pretty good though I wasn't sure completely what to expect since out of the people I know, it got mixed reviews.
 

AniHawk

Member
Jun 7, 2004
74,679
7
1,595
I played this when I broke my arm in a car accident last year. Beat the entire thing left-handed!

That doesn't sound right.

Or does it?
 

ethelred

Member
Dec 19, 2005
16,019
1
0
keeblerdrow said:
Because you don't play the game. You sit there and hope it lets you win.
How do you hope? Everything about the game is controlled by the player.

There's nothing random about the battles unless you specifically take the risk of using skills/attacks that specify ranom effects. Nearly every skill/attack for each character, however, is non-random. So this tells me that you're "hoping" the game lets you win because you're just really shitty at it.

Nothing random about the traps or puzzles, either. They're all about timed button presses and such.
 

Emotions

Member
Sep 15, 2005
3,642
0
0
I have yet to play this game. It's sitting on my shelf sealed since early this year, but i have so much more handheld stuff to play before i get to it. I have a lot of sealed RPG's that i have yet to open. I don't wanna play little bits of everything. I'll eventually get to it this year.
 

keeblerdrow

Member
Jun 6, 2004
4,200
0
1,300
ethelred said:
How do you hope? Everything about the game is controlled by the player.

There's nothing random about the battles unless you specifically take the risk of using skills/attacks that specify ranom effects. Nearly every skill/attack for each character, however, is non-random. So this tells me that you're "hoping" the game lets you win because you're just really shitty at it.

Nothing random about the traps or puzzles, either. They're all about timed button presses and such.

Stop trying to defend a yawner of a game. There's absolutely no skill involved in this game at all. I marched straight through the damn thing without ever losing till I got bored of having no sense of control over anything in it and put it down. Then, when the GAF brigade of bad suggestions told me I should try to give the game another chance, I did. I juggernauted through the game again never even wincing and fell asleep at the helm again. This thing will collect dust until I can con someone into paying me more than its worth just to own this "rare collector's item".
 

Teasel

Member
Feb 6, 2006
3,118
0
0
Dragona Akehi said:
During my involuntary exile from the wonderful world of the internets, I finally had a chance to play Riveria.

Aisha can gradne, this game totally ****ing rocks! Why the hell don't I see more loving here?

It's a neat take on the Dungeon crawler crossed with PC adventure, what with the Tech Points and Looking for artifacts (aka AWESOME TREASURE).

Beautiful sprites and absolutely fantastic music (especially for the GBA!) which very much reminds me of the score from Valkyrie Profile. In a good way, not in a "ZOMG they totally ripped this shit off"! Hats off to Atlus for an excellent localization and voice acting (little though it is).

The battle system everyone seemed rather cool to was excellent. I love that you gain skills and stats for mastering a specific weapon, and that weapons break. It's a much better idea than getting EXP and then levelling up.

The fact that certain weapon types determine WHOM/WHAT you attack makes perfect sense, what was all the complaints for? If you wanted to hit the entire front row, use a goddamned scythe! All complaints are NULL AND VOID.

Gaining points for successfully dodging traps or finding "the awesome secrets", along with conserving your moves and getting excellent grades in battle only motivates me to keep playing the game over and over.

My only qualm with the game, honestly (besides needing maybe four dungeons and a bonus dungeon), is that you can only have one page of items/weapons! SUX0R.

I always knew ST!NG had good games in them (while I didn't really like Evolution, it definately had potential).

Riviera deserves YOUR APPRECIATIN', BIZNATCHES. BRING ON YGGDRA UNION!
yeah i liked it... the entire fact that everytime you move to a new room something happen
was what made me love the game. the game also has a lot of charm (did you see the statue scene?)
my only complain is the level up system,you just go to practice and then grind until you learn that skill and get your stat boost,combat also suck a little, you just pick up the character that can do the kind of elemental attack that the boss is weak to (vampire boss? pick the green girl along with a rapier!) and then you just kick is ass quickly
 
Jun 13, 2004
365
0
0
This game was one that made you think and made you think whether to use a good item on a crappy monster or save it for a boss when you may need it. This reminds me I need to beat it. Also, the point system for examining things along with the traps made things interesting.
 

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Jun 6, 2004
23,073
0
1,725
38
Nara, Japan
www.bookofrevenant.com
Well since most of you sound disappointed with it, and I trust Dragona's opinion fairly well (<3 <3 <3 Kawazu) anyone want to sell/trade their copy at me?
 

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Jun 6, 2004
23,073
0
1,725
38
Nara, Japan
www.bookofrevenant.com
I've only put a half hour into this game but it fugging ROCKS! The moving is a tad slow so I can see why someone would get frustrated with this, but I have a neigh unholy amount of patience with RPGs so I think I'll be fine.
I gotta say, this Norse (it's Norse right?) mythology is making me want to replay VP! But I've got too many other things to play right now.
 

ethelred

Member
Dec 19, 2005
16,019
1
0
RevenantKioku said:
I've only put a half hour into this game but it fugging ROCKS! The moving is a tad slow so I can see why someone would get frustrated with this, but I have a neigh unholy amount of patience with RPGs so I think I'll be fine.
I gotta say, this Norse (it's Norse right?) mythology is making me want to replay VP! But I've got too many other things to play right now.
Riviera reminds me of VP in a lot of ways -- the music and its general rocking awesomeness, the homage to 2D in the graphical and artistic approach (gloooorious 2D in both), the Norse storylines, and the all-around innovativeness of both games.

Glad to see another person has come around to see how awesome Riviera is!