• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Robert Boyd: "Why Games Like The Wonderful 101 are a Poor Fit for the Gaming Press"

Riposte

You don't know what you're talking about at all here.

I guess I'll have to take your word for it! Even though I can easily see why people who don't get the game are still being pushed through it

EDIT: Oh, you replied elsewhere. Okay, I'll need a moment.

I've never played Wonderful 101, so I can't give my perspective on what's the problem with reviewers not getting to grips with it. I can only share my thoughts based on the kind of games I play (couldn't come up with an example of a hard to master AAA game). If I didn't make a valid point with my examples of an indie game and roguelike-likes, I'm sorry. Your posts are always insightful though, and I have fun reading them when you're not mentioning something against indie games.

Fine. Sorry for calling you out then.

That actually raises a new set of questions. For instance, Gamekult let a new reviewer do the review, who gave it a six, whereas their core staff are huge fans of Platinum games. But it's not a multiplatform title and the Wii U audience is limited.

It's like the excuses never stop. First, according to Boyd, Ninja Gaiden doesn't count because it's a "blockbuster sequel". Dark Souls doesn't count because it's predecessor was more difficult, as if Demon Souls (89 rating metacritic score btw) being less accessible some how not make Dark Souls a difficult game. SMB doesn't count because in his personal opinion it's not difficult, and now I see the Nintendo bias excuse.

It's clear despite several evidence to the contrary, there is always going to be an excuse because Boyd and others have clearly made up their mind. Fact is W101 got very favorable reviews. Other difficult, inaccessible games got higher scores because it was simply enjoyed more. End of story.

Shiggy

It's like the excuses never stop. First, according to Boyd, Ninja Gaiden doesn't count because it's a "blockbuster sequel". Dark Souls doesn't count because it's predecessor was more difficult, as if Demon Souls (89 rating metacritic score btw) being less accessible some how not make Dark Souls a difficult game. SMB doesn't count because in his personal opinion it's not difficult, and now I see the Nintendo bias excuse.

It's clear despite several evidence to the contrary, there is always going to be an excuse because Boyd and others have clearly made up their mind. Fact is W101 got very favorable reviews. Other difficult, inaccessible games got higher scores because it was simply enjoyed more. End of story.

Pretty much this. I looked at this piece regardless of the person who wrote it (don't know Boyd) and the excuses are just crazy, both in his article and this thread. I could go on and say that "The Kore Gang" for Wii was a great game but reviewers simply didn't get it. But it just wasn't. Some people may have enjoyed it nonetheless and nobody shall prohibit them from doing so.

reminds me on the IGN 9/10 for Zelda backslash, just with more people acting pretentious.

Not really a comment on the Platinum games in particular, but I do agree that the hurry up reviews are often not great indicators of the quality or staying power of a game (or really even match how most players take in games.)

I've been returning to the Rayman Legends challenges almost every day and just love playing that game even for slight improvements each time. Maybe that behavior isn't important to a game review? But it's certainly a great part of its value personally.

Also don't think hurry up reviews are well equipped to assess MP games. So often they just rattle off the list of features, instead of make insightful commentary on its design. The player who is into those games like BF or COD mp, plays them for hundreds of hours. Something a review simply couldn't cover.

Personally, I almost never use reviews to determine if I'm buying something unless something's a huge shift in expectations. (a game I was barely paying attention to suddenly getting great scores everywhere, etc.)

Dark Souls doesn't count because it's predecessor was more difficult, as if Demon Souls (89 rating metacritic score btw) being less accessible some how not make Dark Souls a difficult game.

I was referring to King's Field, not Demon's Souls.

And again, this isn't about difficulty. This is about accessibility. Traditional, high difficulty game like the Souls games & Ninja Gaiden are going to review better than arguably easier, but less traditional games (like Wonderful 101). With a more traditional game, the player is more likely to have transferable skills from similar games that they've played.

For that matter, this isn't entirely about Wonderful 101; I just used it as a good recent example of this phenomena.

Riposte

That's how Bayonetta was too though

I mean it just seems weird that people are so hung up on the retry systems for games that are designed for you to complete them at any difficulty level without ever being hit. The retry system in these games is for newer players only. Once you reach a certain skill level it should be irrelevant to you as your goal has shifted from not dying to not being hit at all, ever.(I still get hit in bayonetta but I honestly can't remember the last time I died in the game.)

Death/Retries have nothing to do with the intended difficulty curve of these games. I have no idea why Riposte keeps insisting in every thread that they are or that they should be. It's like trying to smash a square peg in a round hole. The games he wants are not the games Platinum wants to make.(Save Rising I guess) The true difficulty comes from the score requirements, not the frustration of death. (which is far more interesting to me personally.)

If you don't like that, that's fine but I mean that's the game you're playing. It's not Ninja Gaiden and it's not trying to be.

A simple completion is SUPPOSED to mean nothing in Bayonetta and it's supposed to be nothing here. The actual difficulty comes in getting pure platinum on every act on every difficulty. That's what you do if you want a challenge but I mean for most people that's too difficult. Action games should only be about survival and crowd control and prioritizing troublesome enemies out of a wave! No one wants to think any harder than that about these games.

Alright, first I need to understand if you disagree with the premise I laid out. I'm not sure if you actually think it is untrue, only you don't feel that it is a bad thing (so in other words, I do "know what I'm talking about" when I describe P*'s design, you just don't like my conclusion). To repeat and expand on it:

P* moves punishment away from stage/game progression (for lack of a better term) and toward score (the number/medal/title people see after they beat a stage). This score is, at most, related to purchasing upgrades/actions, but never in a demanding fashion (certainly not so after buying the first few upgrades and you can grind in most games, with progress carrying over from previous game clears). Score penalties is also what they use to police the use of items/resources that unbalances the game toward the player. The conclusion should be clear: they are dropping out the bottom, with score penalties being used to punish those who can't rise above that drop off.

With "very easy" difficulty settings and these advantages (especially with TW101's respawn system), it is hard to imagine someone who's played videogames before not being able to see the credits of the P* game they bought. Essentially, everyone in their audience will be able to clear the game. This is a modern expectation (of reviewers, even), which is why I say it is P* way of modernizing Japanese action games. This is the compromise they make. Something like: "We make our games with a bunch of crazy attacks and bosses, but we've added three layers of safety nets so virtually everyone can still beat it". I don't understand how this isn't decisive in measuring the game's difficulty curve.

Yes, there is the scoring system, meaning getting a "Pure Platinum" is its own difficulty, but a great majority of people don't care enough about that to feel frustration (the feeling of powerlessness, of not having enough power/skill). To say it is the "intended difficulty" or it is suppose to be played is funny, because their intention and the purpose of the design is to rely on people not caring about that difficulty or playing that way so they do not get frustrated (and most of those people would gladly accept a Bronze or lower without blinking an eye). That isn't to say people don't get frustrated by the scoring system, just very few do and those that do are either those with the discipline to seek that out or are motivated by something of social significance outside the game (bragging rights or achievements/etc). (In both cases frustration is very important, just as it is very important part in all cases of true difficulty - obvious once you understand what frustration is. The former relishes on seeing a numerical measurement of their power over a game (or at least its scoring system) and the latter would not gain any significance if frustration didn't make it a rare achievement.)

At the end of the day score in games like Bayonetta get treated like chasing 1-ups in Mario by most people. And like I said, "most people" doesn't just mean casual players. Being one of the people who will allow themselves get frustrated (i.e. feel challenged) by the scoring system doesn't change that they are dropping out the bottom of the difficulty curve. I make the argument that this isn't a worthwhile exchange, that this compromise hurts me far more than it gives me anything appreciable. Now, I still willing to say they make very good games, games that I will always buy immediately and treasure, but I won't change my ability to discern things to the point where I can't say a compromise isn't being made and it isn't negatively affecting me.

The phenomenon Warm Machine initially described I find to be very real. I actually felt it myself to some extent when I was playing TW101, mainly during the first few levels when I was learning the ropes. A lack of true failure means players are not required to learn and sort of "fail forward", fumbling about jumping from one climatic QTE moment to the next. Do they actually recognize they are playing incorrectly? Are they ever pushed to play correctly? If nothing, this makes the game harder to defend. How much of the game I like and want to defend is locked away in my head and not on the disc? I actually have methodology to make some sense of this, but that's another topic I feel.

And if a game was truly designed to be cleared without being hit, then it would end upon being hit (many games are actually like this). No, they are designed to not require that, actually. That's kind of the point I've made up until now.

To keep this post shorter, I deleted about half of it. I'm still going to briefly share some highly condensed thoughts:

The game "they are trying to make" is not necessarily tied to a scoring system. If anything, the scoring system is meant to encourage players to play a certain, creative way (penalties for repetitions, being too methodical/slow), but in the process players can come to care more about score than the overall experience (putting rote score building tactics before an approach I can only briefly/poorly describe as "instinctual"). Also, when you look at each of P* games, they seem to put a priority on being stylish over being an accurate means to compare player skills with QTEs and oddball mini-game moments being all over the place, for better or worse. 3D action games in general don't seem to take to scoring systems as well as their 2D cousins and I've never been intrigued by P*'s scoring like I may be by a STG's.

And since it has been brought up, I also believe challenge is not the end all, be all goal of a game, only highly necessarily to varying degrees. It is difficult for me to discuss this since I have hard time expressing it, but the sheer complexity of a game like Bayonetta compared to a 2D action game has a way of making the challenge less vital than it would be with that 2D game. This is partially why the compromise P* makes is halfway acceptable, because they are ultimately making "modern" games and those have their own strengths in spite of these compromises.

Maybe when I have more energy for it, I'll actually detail what I'm trying to say in the last two paragraphs. Sorry if it came out confusing.

Probably some truth to this, but it's not really universal -- Brothers had a pretty unconventional control scheme and seemed to be very well received.

I think (and maybe I'm projecting a bit here) a lot of reviewers are just less tolerant of unique controls when they're used as a difficulty mechanism. Personally it's hard for me to get interested in a game where my reflexes or my ability to manipulate buttons/screens are holding me back. I'm more likely to put that sort of game down and find something that challenges me in other ways. Doubly so if it relies on imprecise touch- or motion-controls, because it's that much harder to tell if I'm doing something wrong or if the game is just bad at interpreting my input.

It's also kind of hard to compare to multiplayer games since they're so dependent on your competition. A noob playing Counterstrike against MLG pros is going to have a crappy time, but playing against their similarly-skilled friends will likely be enjoyable.

It's more the problem of being able to discern the two apart (different but adaptable vs clunky and unergonomic) instead of what's fashionable and familiar vs what isn't. It's what they're paid to do and why their read ostensiably, and it feeds into this ravenous never-satisfied desire for "moving the industry forward" and "evolving" in a single, monotone direction. Oddly enough, I feel it's not because control schemes and interfacing nor their perceptions are growing moribund, it's because there's not this hot new thing coming out that completely replaces that old moribund thing that can be "put to bed" as it were (which may even be due to that hegemony of control schemes! There's a reason FPS after FPS goes the COD controller layout).

It's so ridiculous to pretend Wonderful 101 is some sort of special case. This happens with the gaming community every single time an anticipated (usually console exclusive) game releases and underperforms in reviews.

You like the game? Fantastic. Just because it got poor reviews doesn't reveal any deep-rooted fundamental problem with a subjective review system and it doesn't mean other people don't "understand" the game.

A poor review is when Game Informer says that they scored a game lower because that's what they thought their audience would think of it. Yet that's what people are essentially asking for when they can't accept someone's genuine opinion on a game.

Probably some truth to this, but it's not really universal -- Brothers had a pretty unconventional control scheme and seemed to be very well received.

I think (and maybe I'm projecting a bit here) a lot of reviewers are just less tolerant of unique controls when they're used as a difficulty mechanism. Personally it's hard for me to get interested in a game where my reflexes or my ability to manipulate buttons/screens are holding me back. I'm more likely to put that sort of game down and find something that challenges me in other ways. Doubly so if it relies on imprecise touch- or motion-controls, because it's that much harder to tell if I'm doing something wrong or if the game is just bad at interpreting my input.

It's also kind of hard to compare to multiplayer games since they're so dependent on your competition. A noob playing Counterstrike against MLG pros is going to have a crappy time, but playing against their similarly-skilled friends will likely be enjoyable.
This post is too reasonable.

Get out of here! :D

His thesis that you will keep playing even if you're frustrated because you've already spent the money is idiotic because that can be applied to any game.

His thesis that you will keep playing even if you're frustrated because you've already spent the money is idiotic because that can be applied to any game.

To be fair, I don't really think he says that in the article. I took him to mean that they will be less inclined to simply dismiss a game that does not click immediately. I think that's reasonable and likely true in many cases. In no way idiotic.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
My initial post was perhaps a bit knee-jerk and half baked.

I do agree that they remove the punishment of death as a safety net for players. I just, like you said, don't agree at all with the conclusions you draw about difficulty because of it.

I don't really have nearly as much to say on the subject as you, so I'm just going to respond to parts of your post. If you feel I've taken anything out of context don't hesitate to call me out on it. I'm doing my best not to misrepresent your argument while in the process of picking it apart.

Yes, there is the scoring system, meaning getting a "Pure Platinum" is its own difficulty, but a great majority of people don't care enough about that to feel frustration (the feeling of powerlessness, of not having enough power/skill).

Right. and that's why it's something independent of completion. So the people that don't care can just enjoy the game for what it is while the people that want the challenge can go for the higher ranks.

To say it is the "intended difficulty" or it is suppose to be played is funny, because their intention and the purpose of the design is to rely on people not caring about that difficulty or playing that way so they do not get frustrated

I'm not sure that was their intent. If it was they would add an option to disable rankings altogether.

but they don't. Rankings are an unavoidable aspect of every level and are at times tied to unlocks. They are very much a core part of the design of their games.

That isn't to say people don't get frustrated by the scoring system, just very few do and those that do are either those with the discipline to seek that out or are motivated by something of social significance outside the game

Why are you calling this everything but what it is?

The people that go for ranks are the people that like challenging games.

At the end of the day score in games like Bayonetta get treated like chasing 1-ups in Mario by most people.

Or 1-cc's in STGs and 2D action games

I make the argument that this isn't a worthwhile exchange, that this compromise hurts me far more than it gives me anything appreciable.

and I disagree. Continuing in 101 is no different than quarter feeding Final Fight to me.

as for it hurting you that's what I mean. You're in this weird place with these games where you want to be "challenged" but you don't want to do actual challenging things. You just want yourself and everyone else to be more severely punished for no other reason than to feel like you've accomplished something by doing the bare minimum.(completing the game)

because that's all altering the continue system does. It doesn't make the game harder at all just more punishing. I'm still going to clear the game with ease either way. It just makes it so that other people can't.

and that's probably why we disagree so fundamentally on this. We just have two different ideas of difficulty. I seek challenge in aiming to play the game as close to the highest level as I possibly can. You seem to want challenge in having the game step and spit on you as you try to drag yourself across the finish line at the very bottom.

A lack of true failure means players are not required to learn and sort of "fail forward", fumbling about jumping from one climatic QTE moment to the next. Do they actually recognize they are playing incorrectly?

Yes. When they get Stone Trophies/ Consolation Prizes at the results screen they realize that they played like shit, and know why. (Took too long, got hit too much or played too passive)

So in that regard it's already better than quarter feeding in STGs and 2D Action games.

Are they ever pushed to play correctly?

Probably not. but I mean people who just brute force themselves through these things were never going to. If the game had the stupid yellow orb system they'd just stop playing.

And if a game was truly designed to be cleared without being hit, then it would end upon being hit (many games are actually like this). No, they are designed to not require that, actually. That's kind of the point I've made up until now.

and it doesn't make sense. There's a tangible reward for completing Missions, Levels and even the entire game without being hit in the form of Pure Platinum.

Once you get hit you miss out on that, whether you die or not. I don't see why you're so attached with difficulty only being measured by severe punishment to the point that it impairs usability. Instead of my game ending instantly on damage, I'm able to continue on to learn and practice, rather than being roadblocked and sent to a continue screen. (But I also do have the option of reloading my save to try again from that point as well)

The game "they are trying to make" is not necessarily tied to a scoring system. If anything, the scoring system is meant to encourage players to play a certain, creative way (penalties for repetitions, being too methodical/slow)

Yes that's exactly what a worthwhile scoring system is supposed to do.

Also, when you look at each of P* games, they seem to put a priority on being stylish over being an accurate means to compare player skills with QTEs and oddball mini-game moments being all over the place, for better or worse.

I don't really care about the numbers as a point of comparison with other people. Achieving the ranks is as far as I go with the games. (Although at times I like to see how high I can get on certain sections)

And since it has been brought up, I also believe challenge is not the end all, be all goal of a game, only highly necessarily to varying degrees. It is difficult for me to discuss this since I have hard time expressing it, but the sheer complexity of a game like Bayonetta compared to a 2D action game has a way of making the challenge less vital than it would be with that 2D game. This is partially why the compromise P* makes is halfway acceptable, because they are ultimately making "modern" games and those have their own strengths in spite of these compromises.

Now this I kind of agree with.

3D action games give you so many more options than 2D games that it's almost impossible to design content that is balanced around all the tools at your disposal. Vs something like megaman where your character only has 3-4 actions.

and that's why I view the ranking systems as probably the best way to design difficulty and challenge for these games.

As an example, anyone can beat NSIC in Bayonetta with Evil Harvest Rosary, but the trade off is that EHR completely ruins your scoring potential. So the ranking system forces players to take a more difficult path.

While a more punishing continue system would have zero impact on that strategy.

and that's probably why we disagree so fundamentally on this. We just have two different ideas of difficulty. I seek challenge in aiming to play the game as close to the highest level as I possibly can. You seem to want challenge in having the game step and spit on you as you try to drag yourself across the finish line at the very bottom.

In a way, yes. When the game punishes you by not letting you continue until you're "good enough," that forces you to get better and learn the systems. The incentive created by rankings is arbitrary. It's not a part of the gameplay, but something grafted on top of it. And a tangible penalty leads to a sense of accomplishment.

Rankings feel like the lazy way of adding difficulty. It doesn't require devs to balance their game. (I'm not arguing if Bayo or W101 are balanced or not.) But rankings in general just require devs to make an easy game that has a secondary judgment of your playstyle, taking into account a few things like speed and complexity of combos.

Further, there is something inherently less satisfying with score rankings. Beating a final boss has an intrinsic quality of completion because that's precisely what you're doing, completing the game. Whereas getting a Rockin' Gold Medal on Mission 4 is arbitrary. Score and rankings are not part of the gameplay mechanics vis-a-vis your interaction with the game world, obstacles, and enemies.

I think Sin and Punishment 2 handled it best. There's an Easy mode if you want to make it to the end of the game. And yes, you can still compete for your score there. But on Normal and Hard modes, you'd better be good enough and fast enough with the mechanics to beat the game. And on top of that, if you want to compete for score, you can still do that as well. There are leaderboards for each difficulty and each character.

In a way, yes. When the game punishes you by not letting you continue until you're "good enough," that forces you to get better and learn the systems. The incentive creating by rankings is arbitrary. It's not a part of the gameplay, but something grafted on top of it. And a tangible penalty leads to a sense of accomplishment.

Rankings feel like the lazy way of adding difficulty. It doesn't require devs to balance their game. (I'm not arguing if Bayo or W101 are balanced or not.) But rankings in general just require devs to make an easy game that has a secondary judgment of your playstyle, taking into account a few things like speed and complexity of combos.

Further, there is something inherently less satisfying with score rankings. Beating a final boss has an intrinsic quality of completion because that's precisely what you're doing, completing the game. Whereas getting a Rockin' Gold Medal on Mission 4 is arbitrary. Score and rankings are not part of the gameplay mechanics vis-a-vis your interaction with the game world, obstacles, and enemies.

I think Sin and Punishment 2 handled it best. There's an Easy mode if you want to make it to the end of the game. And yes, you can still compete for your score there. But on Normal and Hard modes, you'd better be good enough and fast enough with the mechanics to beat the game. And on top of that, if you want to compete for score, you can still do that as well. There are leaderboards for each difficulty and each character.

I would argue that fighting games are like this, at least for single player. Heck, even the Arkham games have combat systems that don't outright reward creativity - but that doesn't mean it isn't fun to by stylish.

OTOH, having a hard or easy mode (for most games) is simply modifying health, attack, defense modifiers. Which is just are arbitrary as having one set difficulty and people competing for an arcade score. The only different is that you think it matters that with difficulty settings, players are forced to exhibit skill to progress, whereas in the other situation, skill is exhibited simply for the player's enjoyment and/or attainment of a medal or score. It's really the same thing.

OTOH, having a hard or easy mode (for most games) is simply modifying health, attack, defense modifiers. Which is just are arbitrary as having one set difficulty and people competing for an arcade score. The only different is that you think it matters that with difficulty settings, players are forced to exhibit skill to progress, whereas in the other situation, skill is exhibited simply for the player's enjoyment and/or attainment of a medal or score. It's really the same thing.

It's not arbitrary because at least those things deal with what you interact with in the game. Rankings are a sort of meta-game, not actually affecting the main play area. Also, by having more difficult enemies, you still retain the sense of accomplishment and completion that isn't present with rankings.

I would even argue, as a general design principle, the risk of a penalty (such as continuing at a last checkpoint) raises the stakes and makes each game encounter more dramatic. If you're up to the final boss and you know if you don't beat him, you're going back to the beginning of the level, that gets your heart racing. Knowing you can just hit start to continue where you were doesn't feel quite as dramatic.

That said, I agree with you that simply modifying enemies isn't ideal. But in Sin and Punishment, for example, the bosses use new attack patterns and require you to use different skills. In Fire Emblem, which I just went through again, the enemies' AI uses different tactics and are more aggressive. Older Fire Emblems even changed fundamental game ideas, such as how enemy reinforcements behaved. So I agree that the best games do more than simply adding modifiers to their enemies.

It's not arbitrary because at least those things deal with what you interact with in the game. Rankings are a sort of meta-game, not actually affecting the main play area. Also, by having more difficult enemies, you still retain the sense of accomplishment and completion that isn't present with rankings.

I would even argue, as a general design principle, the risk of a penalty (such as continuing at a last checkpoint) raises the stakes and makes each game encounter more dramatic. If you're up to the final boss and you know if you don't beat him, you're going back to the beginning of the level, that gets your heart racing. Knowing you can just hit start to continue where you were doesn't feel quite as dramatic.

That said, I agree with you that simply modifying enemies isn't ideal. But in Sin and Punishment, for example, the bosses use new attack patterns and require you to use different skills. In Fire Emblem, which I just went through again, the enemies' AI uses different tactics and are more aggressive. Older Fire Emblems even changed fundamental game ideas, such as how enemy reinforcements behaved. So I agree that the best games do more than simply adding modifiers to their enemies.

While I do agree that there is a better way to design these things if you're making a game for a specific audience. But the reality is that players are varying skill level are being accommodated by games like Pikmin 3 and W101. And I don't think it's possible to design them in a very different way to provide high skill ceilings or a difficult challenge without shutting out beginning/intermediate players.

Of course, they could redo the fundamental design for "easy" mode and have a 2nd design structure for everyone one else, but that's expensive and rarely done in practice.

I'm not a fan of difficulty settings with respect to simply changing modifiers though. And at least in Pikmin 3 and W101, there are plenty of opportunities for advanced players to exhibit skill even though the reward might be some numbers that designate your score at the end.

I get that you and others might think this system is inadequate to other reasonable alternatives. But I really don't think intermediate and high-skill level players are unable to extract that enjoyment and value by replaying a mission for a score and trying different strategies.

There usually isn't a time attack component in Monster Hunter quests beyond finishing before the base timer is up. But that doesn't stop people from tracking and competing for their best times against various monsters.

maybe try reading the article, instead of just pointing to Platinum games review scores after skimming

I read what was in the OP, and I'm flabbergasted that the writer thinks that

A) 78 is a bad score. Just making that argument makes him part of the problem.

B) Reviewers don't give hard games a chance unless *insert ridiculous excuse here*. FZero GX is so hard it cheats. Super Meat Boy breaks most people in the demo levels alone. Ninja Gaiden is hard with an objectively awful camera in the vanilla release. Ikaruga mocks the player by including a slow-mo perfect run of every level in the game in the tutorial. MGS and Resident Evil had some of the worst, most archaic control and camera systems before their respective 4th installments. Viewtiful Joe is hard, 2D, cel-shaded, requires absurd timing, pattern recognition, and memorization on the harder difficulty levels, and can be beaten in about 3 hours. And it was Gamecube exclusive for a hot second.

While I do agree that there is a better way to design these things if you're making a game for a specific audience. But the reality is that players are varying skill level are being accommodated by games like Pikmin 3 and W101. And I don't think it's possible to design them in a very different way to provide high skill ceilings or a difficult challenge without shutting out beginning/intermediate players.

Of course, they could redo the fundamental design for "easy" mode and have a 2nd design structure for everyone one else, but that's expensive and rarely done in practice.

I'm not a fan of difficulty settings with respect to simply changing modifiers though. And at least in Pikmin 3 and W101, there are plenty of opportunities for advanced players to exhibit skill even though the reward might be some numbers that designate your score at the end.

I get that you and others might think this system is inadequate to other reasonable alternatives. But I really don't think intermediate and high-skill level players are unable to extract that enjoyment and value by replaying a mission for a score and trying different strategies.

There usually isn't a time attack component in Monster Hunter quests beyond finishing before the base timer is up. But that doesn't stop people from tracking and competing for their best times against various monsters.

I certainly don't want to pose it that intermediate and high-skill level players are unable to extract enjoyment by either playing for rank or just playing through an "easy" game. I loved Pikmin 3. I even enjoyed Kirby's Epic Yarn, which is, like, as easy as it gets. But as a matter of preference, I prefer enemy/obstacle/design-oriented difficulty versus rank/score difficulty.

I certainly don't want to pose it that intermediate and high-skill level players are unable to extract enjoyment by either playing for rank or just playing through an "easy" game. I loved Pikmin 3. I even enjoyed Kirby's Epic Yarn, which is, like, as easy as it gets. But as a matter of preference, I prefer enemy/obstacle/design-oriented difficulty versus rank/score difficulty.

Sure.

How is this even in debate? Metacritic is a joke. I have reviews up there influencing the score and some of them were written in a day, including time spent with the game. The point of the original article is sound (if not subjective on the quality of 101).

That's how Bayonetta was too though

I mean it just seems weird that people are so hung up on the retry systems for games that are designed for you to complete them at any difficulty level without ever being hit. The retry system in these games is for newer players only. Once you reach a certain skill level it should be irrelevant to you as your goal has shifted from not dying to not being hit at all, ever.(I still get hit in bayonetta but I honestly can't remember the last time I died in the game.)

Death/Retries have nothing to do with the intended difficulty curve of these games. I have no idea why Riposte keeps insisting in every thread that they are or that they should be. It's like trying to smash a square peg in a round hole. The games he wants are not the games Platinum wants to make.(Save Rising I guess) The true difficulty comes from the score requirements, not the frustration of death. (which is far more interesting to me personally.)

If you don't like that, that's fine but I mean that's the game you're playing. It's not Ninja Gaiden and it's not trying to be.

A simple completion is SUPPOSED to mean nothing in Bayonetta and it's supposed to be nothing here. The actual difficulty comes in getting pure platinum on every act on every difficulty. That's what you do if you want a challenge but I mean for most people that's too difficult. Action games should only be about survival and crowd control and prioritizing troublesome enemies out of a wave! No one wants to think any harder than that about these games.

I'm fine with the real challenge of a game being in playing for rank. My only issue is that I don't want It to go so far in that direction that it makes the first playthrough feel trivial. I want reaching the ending to feel satisfying too, even if it's just the first step towards mastering the game, so I want my games to be at least kind of punishing. I agree that the retry system will stop mattering after a certain point, though - lives don't really mean anything to me in DMC or Viewtiful Joe anymore - but I think it feels bad if the game doesn't push back before that.

But I want to clarify that I don't have that much of a problem with most Platinum games' retry structures. I don't really like them much, but considering some of the other design choices in those games, I think it's a fair compromise. W101 is the only one where it seems like they went too far; I would be fine with checkpoints like Bayonetta's and infinite lives, but letting you pop right back up after death, even during boss fights, is taking too much out of the first playthrough for me. Bayonetta might have been a bit easy on Normal on the first run, but at least it asks you to learn your abilities and enemies to a degree. In W101 it seems like you could mash your face on the controller a lot and eventually beat 101% Hard. I don't like that in beat-em-ups and I can't imagine that I'll like it here, although it's not going to keep me from trying to learn the game if I end up wanting to.

One of my favorite things about this thread is that the article is about how reviewers approach difficult, NEW mechanics, and people's counterpoints are bayonetta and viewtiful joe, both games which use very very familiar concepts and are pretty much pick up and play.

Bar81

WHAT? Did you even read the article? You just supported the author's point.

In any case, this has always been a problem and it's exactly why more and more crap which copies the top selling crap continues to be made. If the reviewer doesn't understand or doesn't have time (which is pretty much always given the deadlines) to practice to get good at a game, he slags it off. The internet and its further condensed timelines before publishing has only made things worse. For this reason Metacritic is pretty much worthless for creative games that don't walk the overly beaten path; what's good and what's not good is beyond most reviewers unless it's the same crap they've been playing for the last 10+ years.

Shiggy

WHAT? Did you even read the article? You just supported the author's point.

In any case, this has always been a problem and it's exactly why more and more crap which copies the top selling crap continues to be made. If the reviewer doesn't understand or doesn't have time (which is pretty much always given the deadlines) to practice to get good at a game, he slags it off. The internet and its further condensed timelines before publishing has only made things worse. For this reason Metacritic is pretty much worthless for creative games that don't walk the overly beaten path; what's good and what's not good is beyond most reviewers unless it's the same crap they've been playing for the last 10+ years.

That's just stupid. Why did Fez get high average? How about the PixelJunk series?

Reviewers assess games based on whether they like them. If they rate a game after an hour because they don't feel it's worth playing it until the end, then that's a result of the game. Do you play a game that you don't enjoy until the end? I simply stop.

For W101 there seems to be a vocal minority of Nintendo fans that says it's the best of the best. Others say it's chaotic and not that good. I think it's strange when this minority wants to impose their opinion on others with the reason "that they don't get it coz it's no FPS". It's an incredibly flawed argument.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
In a way, yes. When the game punishes you by not letting you continue until you're "good enough," that forces you to get better and learn the systems. The incentive created by rankings is arbitrary.

Now see you're comparing two things that are not the same. Being "forced" to do something is not an incentive to get better. More than often it's the opposite. Ever been forced to do something during your regular day and think at the end "man I'm glad I never have to do that again"? Why would you want people to feel that way about something that's supposed to be entertainment? It'd just make people quit.

and how are ranking systems arbitrary but not punishing retry systems and checkpoints? How is Ninja Gaiden(NES) forcing you to replay the last stage over and over when you die to the last boss not an arbitrary design decision? It just makes it harder and more punishing to actually learn how to beat the last boss. It doesn't enhance your mastery of the game at all and works completely different from the checkpoints in the rest of the game.

Now I'm not saying that for some people that can't be fun. I'm just arguing that it's not the only approach to difficulty and that it's not the game Platinum is trying to make with 101, or even Bayonetta.(where I think the intent was for players to replay the game many times, rather than putting all the focus on a single initial completion) So it seems like a weird criticism made ignoring the actual intent behind the design of their game.

Basically to me, Riposte's original post was saying "I wish it was this way because I like this kind of game more", which isn't a very strong criticism and ignores what the game is actually trying to do, and that it does it extremely well

It's not a part of the gameplay, but something grafted on top of it. And a tangible penalty leads to a sense of accomplishment.

and I'd argue that more punishing continue systems aren't apart of the gameplay, just something grafted to the bottom of it. The yellow soul system in DMC is extremely punishing for new players because it consumes all their resources as they're learning the game.

but for more experienced players it might as well not even exist. Even on their first run through the game. I played DMC1 on normal for the first time a few years ago and didn't die once. Died once or twice on hard but never spent any money on continues, got by with the ones you just pick up regularly in the game for free.

but for players worse than I am, all it does is consume all their orbs just to stay alive, making it impossible for them to get better techniques and those problems will only compound on the next difficulty level as they're so far behind

Score and rankings are not part of the gameplay mechanics vis-a-vis your interaction with the game world, obstacles, and enemies.

The two aren't designed in a vacuum independent of each other though...

The ranking requirements in Bayonetta and 101 are designed with both the amount of enemies, the type of enemies, and the tools you have access to in the encounter and are adjusted accordingly. To the point where rankings on some lower level difficulty levels are actually harder than higher level ones, because you're fighting easier enemies that the game decides you should kill faster. Sometimes with a score that you could not meet if you hit them too hard.

Your tools are also balanced around how they influence the ranking system. Like Evil Harvest Rosary I mentioned earlier is a really powerful item that deals heavy damage in an AOE. It allows you to clear the highest difficulty almost effortlessly. But in exchange it doesn't really give you many combo points at all. So in the pursuit of higher ranks, you have to forsake some of your strongest tools and take a harder path.

In that way the ranking system directly influences your interaction with the game world and make you think about the encounters and mechics in a way punishing retry systems could never hope to. I'm sure alot of work goes into balancing them to where they're both attainable, yet difficult.

I love Sin and Punishment 2. I daresay I love everything about it.

but it's not the only way. It's a different style of game(You have FAR less options of play compared to Bayo or 101) with a different design philosophy.

and that's fine. All I'm saying here is that Bayo and 101 take a different path that is equally valid. I don't see why players can't be open minded enough to appreciate both.

Right but it also discourages experimentation. Which I think is what Platinum wants players to do with their "kitchen sink" approach to game design.

Not every game has to be Demon's Souls. (Thank god)

JoeFenix

At the end of the day the retry system let's people get on with the game and see it through to the end. The action game vets who care about mastering the game don't use items and would likely restart if they get hit anyway.

The only downside to the retry system is that players can brute force their way to the end and be left overwhelmed and confused by the breakneck pace at which the game introduces mechanics and challenges. They might not be left with much of a sense of progression or accomplishment if they can just resume from the exact same point and plow through.

It's probably the lesser of two evils though, like Retro said, most people would probably just quit and not finish the game if they were forced to restart after dying. All I can say is from my point of view the scoring system does its job quite well, it encourages mastery and is tied into the reward structure of the game. I do have some issues with the way P* handles some smaller aspects of their scoring systems but I'll save that for another conversation.

As far as the comment made about the risk of penalty raising the stakes I would argue that the scoring system actually does that in pretty much the best way possible. If I get so much as hit once then there goes my chances of getting that Pure Platinum on the ENTIRE boss fight. Those can last up to 20 minutes, that's some serious tension right there. It makes the game incredibly engaging and exciting but even if I do fail and get hit I can still practice and gain some experience before trying again. That's good design in my books, better than instant death back to the beginning, no practice for you.

At the end of the day the retry system let's people get on with the game and see it through to the end. The action game vets who care about mastering the game don't use items and would likely restart if they get hit anyway.

The only downside to the retry system is that players can brute force their way to the end and be left overwhelmed and confused by the breakneck pace at which the game introduces mechanics and challenges. They might not be left with much of a sense of progression or accomplishment if they can just resume from the exact same point and plow through.

It's probably the lesser of two evils though, like Retro said, most people would probably just quit and not finish the game if they were forced to restart after dying. All I can say is from my point of view the scoring system does its job quite well, it encourages mastery and is tied into the reward structure of the game. I do have some issues with the way P* handles some smaller aspects of their scoring systems but I'll save that for another conversation.

As far as the comment made about the risk of penalty raising the stakes I would argue that the scoring system actually does that in pretty much the best way possible. If I get so much as hit once then there goes my chances of getting that Pure Platinum on the ENTIRE boss fight. Those can last up to 20 minutes, that's some serious tension right there. It makes the game incredibly engaging and exciting but even if I do fail and get hit I can still practice and gain some experience before trying again. That's good design in my books, better than instant death back to the beginning, no practice for you.

Cause and effect...chain of events,
All of the chaos makes perfect sense.
When you're spinning round...things come undone,
Welcome to Earth third rock from the Sun.

Top Bottom