• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Robert Englund Says He's 'Too Long In Tooth' To Play Freddy Again

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Freddy character is a joke and would get laughed off the stage.

Even in the 80s and 90s, these aren't really horror films. More like comedies with the occasional weird comedic killing.

Just like superhero movies, people have moved onto more gritty characters. Not sure when it happened, but maybe it was Matrix or Batman Begins that made action and horror movies more serious.

Even in the 80s and 90s, these aren't really horror films. More like comedies with the occasional weird comedic killing.

Just like superhero movies, people have moved onto more gritty characters. Not sure when it happened, but maybe it was Matrix or Batman Begins that made action and horror movies more serious.
Yeah. I mean Freddy vs Jason was really more of an action movie than horror.

But that's why this subgenre is called 'slasher' movies. It's more about the gore than being scary.

For old time's sake.

giphy.gif

kunonabi

If the man is too old then you have to just let it die. The sad thing is FvJ did a pretty job of finding the right scary/humorous balance for the character and instead of following that up with a movie or too we got that godawful reboot that killed the franchise again.

If the man is too old then you have to just let it die. The sad thing is FvJ did a pretty job of finding the right scary/humorous balance for the character and instead of following that up with a movie or too we got that godawful reboot that killed the franchise again.
That NOES reboot was terrible. And such an utter bore too.

Freddy vs Jason was imo the best "versus" movie so far. I was really entertained. In fact, it's my favorite NOES movie after Dream Warriors and Dream Master.

I heard they had originally wanted to get Ash into it too. I wonder how a follow up with Ash would have fared or would it have been just too much overkill?

kingbean

If Rob Halford, KISS, and the Rolling Stones are still touring I think Englund could do it again if he wanted.

But then again, when I'm 72 I probably wont want to do shit.

If Rob Halford, KISS, and the Rolling Stones are still touring I think Englund could do it again if he wanted.

But then again, when I'm 72 I probably wont want to do shit.
Don't forget Harrison Ford and Indy 5, which just got a confirmed release date.

Still I can understand England's feelings. Spending literally hours in a chair beginning at 4am for makeup can be pretty uncomfortable.

Englund will alwayd be beloved by me regardless. He's a living legend who helped define and shape the modern slasher genre along with the likes of Jason and Norman Bates.

Stouffers

Banned
I want to see an aging Freddy flick similar to Rocky Balboa. He’s old, irrelevant and coming to terms with the temporary nature of the world and his legacy. Maybe he takes a new young child killer under his wing and shows him OR HER the ropes.

I want to see an aging Freddy flick similar to Rocky Balboa. He’s old, irrelevant and coming to terms with the temporary nature of the world and his legacy. Maybe he takes a new young child killer under his wing and shows him OR HER the ropes.
"I.... Am.... Eternal."

brap

Banned
Why her? No guy is gonna tell some female Freddy not to molest him in his dreams lmao.

Karma Jawa

Doubt we’ll see any NoES films any time soon anyway, seeing as they’re going through similar legal issues to Ft13.

kunonabi

That NOES reboot was terrible. And such an utter bore too.

Freddy vs Jason was imo the best "versus" movie so far. I was really entertained. In fact, it's my favorite NOES movie after Dream Warriors and Dream Master.

I heard they had originally wanted to get Ash into it too. I wonder how a follow up with Ash would have fared or would it have been just too much overkill?

I think it could have worked with some better screenwriters. Hell, any input from Raimi would probably help quite a bit since I could see him having quite a bit of fun with Freddy's abilities.

I sort of liked Englund's idea where a different actor was used for each victim's dream that Freddy appeared in. If you can't have the definitive actor than just lean into a variety of different approaches and have as much fun with it as you can.

Airola

Freddy was the best when the comedy part was Freddy being a god damn creep with his jokes with no intent to make anyone laugh but himself. Things started to change in Elm Street 3. In Elm Street 4 he was an almost full comedy character and finally in Elm Street 6 he was a complete caricature who had tons of kids as fans who laughed at his jokes.

All they would need is to make him be someone who jokes while killing kids because he's a monster instead of telling jokes while killing kids to make kids laugh.

They tried that a bit with the remake but the script was pretty bad to make it work. I've heard that quite a bit of its bad quality was because the producers wanted changes to the first cut, though.
I really liked some of the last 10-15 minutes of it. I thought they managed to make Freddy an actual creep of a monster for a short moment there.

Why her? No guy is gonna tell some female Freddy not to molest him in his dreams lmao.

The doctor lady on Elm Street 3, sure, but are you saying that even if that Doctor Lady turns into a full blown burned up freakshow there wouldn't be anyone to turn her down? :messenger_grimmacing_

nikolino840

Freddy was the best when the comedy part was Freddy being a god damn creep with his jokes with no intent to make anyone laugh but himself. Things started to change in Elm Street 3. In Elm Street 4 he was an almost full comedy character and finally in Elm Street 6 he was a complete caricature who had tons of kids as fans who laughed at his jokes.

All they would need is to make him be someone who jokes while killing kids because he's a monster instead of telling jokes while killing kids to make kids laugh.

They tried that a bit with the remake but the script was pretty bad to make it work. I've heard that quite a bit of its bad quality was because the producers wanted changes to the first cut, though.
I really liked some of the last 10-15 minutes of it. I thought they managed to make Freddy an actual creep of a monster for a short moment there.

The doctor lady on Elm Street 3, sure, but are you saying that even if that Doctor Lady turns into a full blown burned up freakshow there wouldn't be anyone to turn her down? :messenger_grimmacing_
The 6 Is that one between reality and movie?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

Shit, I don't remember much about the old Elm St movies, and definitely don't remember the first few except the mom getting pulled through the window. Googling it, my best memories were from 3 where you had the nerdy D&D guy wizard. That's probably where I got the impression it's a laughfest.

Old Retro

"I'm too old to be in movies" are words Stallone and Schwarzenegger never uttered :messenger_dizzy: Shit, the cast of the last Star Wars too

xrnzaaas

Speak for yourself, I remember feeling very uncomfortable after watching Nightmare on Elm Street for the first time as a kid, never had the same problem with series such as Friday the 13th or Halloween.

holygeesus

Banned
Wes Craven's 'New Nightmare' is one of the smartest, most well crafted, horror films of all time. The writing is a masterclass.

Last edited:

brap

Banned
New Nightmare is one of the most pretentious movies I've ever seen. Craven was hunched over sucking himself off the entire time he was writing and directing it.
Shit is also like a Lifetime movie with a little bit of horror at the end. If Craven didn't direct it everybody would rightfully be calling it garbage like it is.

holygeesus

Banned
New Nightmare is one of the most pretentious movies I've ever seen. Craven was hunched over sucking himself off the entire time he was writing and directing it.
Shit is also like a Lifetime movie with a little bit of horror at the end. If Craven didn't direct it everybody would rightfully be calling it garbage like it is.

Nah you are looking at it in hindsight. The script was clever considering it came before all the self-referential wank that appeared in the post-Scream world.

Airola

New Nightmare was really exciting when it came out. The idea of the characters playing themselves was fun, although I have to admit it didn't really feel like they were themselves as they clearly felt like characters to me. It would've been much better had them really felt they weren't characters but really just themselves. It was still fun to watch. It's not as good anymore as it was then, but I'd say if we'd have to categorize and list all Elm Streets into the good and the bad, it would be right there in the bottom of the good and that's much better than being on top of the bad.

Plus Miko Hughes must be the all time best child actor in horror movies.

The first nightmare was genuinely scary. Movie holds up. It was 4-6 that changed freddy fundamentally.

Karma Jawa

Nah you are looking at it in hindsight. The script was clever considering it came before all the self-referential wank that appeared in the post-Scream world.

I think Ft13th part 6 gets overlooked when it comes to being self-aware. It’s not as on the nose as New Nightmare, but it was the first of the genre to laugh at itself.

Airola

Was a black and white segment. I forgot which one it was really.

Elm Street 5.
I recall that scene was in fact not shot with black & white film or not even made into b&w in post-production, but the set and make-up and clothes and all were made black & white.

Airola

The absolute jump the shark moment for Freddy and Elm Street movies was in Elm Street 6 where Freddy killed a guy in a video game using "Power Glove".

That shit was AWESOME when I was 12. I watched the movie three times in a row back then. That's how amazing it was. And I watched it a lot afterwards too.

Like hell, it's a character who murdered little kids (and probably molested them too) who was lynched by a mob of angry parents and who is now murdering teens. And somehow that concept was made into something with Power Glove references that a 12-year-old kid watches over and over again.

When I watched it again after a long pause maybe almost 20 years after I had seen it for the first time, holy hell the whole movie was awful. It was painful to watch.

Top Bottom