• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Roberto Ferrari comments on the amount of his work that was thrown out for FF15

Ydelnae

After some of his character artworks were unveiled during the latest Final Fantasy series documentary aired on French television, Roberto Ferrari (character designer who has worked in other Final Fantasy titles like Type-0 and VII Remake) has expressed his feelings about the changes the project has experienced and his concern about some of his characters getting deleted from the game.

https://www.facebook.com/Roberto-Ferrari-ART-ロベルトフェラーリ-イラスト-944530178952674/

Finally, someone has decided to publish my designs^^
Every time you see a design piece signed in red as "Ferāri", take into consideration that they are characters that I personally created. I finished Aranea later in June 2010 while Ardyn was finished in December of that same year (although I updated his design in January of the following year).
Six years, I swear, six years are what took this designs to see the light of day!
And all of those characters (which, sadly, I personally think are even better) that have been sacrificed because they kept making changes to the story, what are they going to do with them now?
They were initially included in the script, present in several scenes/events, but they have now been omitted even after finishing both character designs and scenography.
All this work has been wasted, and on top of that, the designs can't even be published (At least, I can't publish them).
I sadly have no words.

The realization of one of my dreams came with the beginning of a nightmare.

Ferrari also took the opportunity to comment on his relationship with Tetsuya Nomura after being asked by a fan

I occasionally work with him but I don't meet him that much. He's a shy person but I like working with him. He always gives me good advice.

These are some of the character designs Ferrari did when the project was officially known as Final Fantasy Versus XIII. Gentiana and Cindy were also created by the Italian designer.

14079645_10154580613492125_3909744839661093432_n.jpg

14068289_10154580613472125_8839519873762040192_n.jpg

duckroll

Why do I get:

Sorry, this page isn't available

The link you followed may be broken, or the page may have been removed.

wmlk

One of his designs that's still in the game should have been cut in the transition.

Yet at the same time, he's responsible for a few of the best designs in the game.

DKHF

Anyway, it really sucks that a lot of the characters he designed won't see the light of day. I can definitely see how that would be very frustrating. I like the work that has surfaced of his for the most part.

Cool to see him comment on Nomura as well. Looking forward to seeing them work together (not literally together but on the same game) again in FFVIIR.

His designs seem the best in the game. It's a shame so many were thrown out that we'll never see. Hope he has a good future working on better, well-managed development.

duckroll

Sorry, I fixed the link now. Somehow I didn't paste the japanese characters.

Thanks!

I'm really surprised he's so openly vocal about this. Is he still working for Square Enix? Wouldn't they be bothered by someone basically saying that he feels all his work was wasted and not in an upcoming game?!

Tyaren

At first I was like: "Why does his artist page have half the subscribers mine has? Sacrilege! Then I browsed a little bit through it...and he's uploaded some strange stuff almost entirely drawn in that 70s/80s anime style which is definitely a bit of an acquired taste. Still, thanks for the page. :)

I'm really surprised he's so openly vocal about this. Is he still working for Square Enix? Wouldn't they be bothered by someone basically saying that he feels all his work was wasted and not in an upcoming game?!

That surprised me as well. The professional way is to not talk about something like this publicly, even if you are kinda pissed off. That is part of the job after all...

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Isn't the legacy of the entire FNC project one of overwhelmingly wasted assets?

Considering FFXIII started out as a cel-shaded PS2 game in February 2004 with an FFX asset proof of concept, I'm inclined to agree.

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/11/04/final-fantasy-xiii-project-originally-called-colors-world/

This didn't just affect Ferrari or FFXV, but it looks like he got hit pretty bad in this game with his designs being cut. That said, he shouldn't have said anything about it.

Ydelnae

Thanks!

I assume he has finished working with his FFVII Remake designs by now. I also think that it wasn't his intention to openly criticize Tabata, but to complain about how disappointed he is that not every design that he makes ends up making the final game. I doubt he is that pissed off at Square since he ended up working with them again.

Reminds me of what happened with the designs Yusuke Kozaki (No More Heroes and the 3DS Fire Emblems) made for Lily Bergamo before it became Let it die.

conceptarts1_thumb.jpg

Will always hope seem comes back as a ranked assassin in a future No More Heroes game (also a dream).

Mr. RHC

Finally, someone has decided to publish my designs^^
Every time you see a design piece signed in red as "Ferāri", take into consideration that they are characters that I personally created. I finished Aranea later in June 2010 while Ardyn was finished in December of that same year (although I updated his design in January of the following year).

Six years, I swear, six years are what took this designs to see the light of day!
And all of those characters (which, sadly, I personally think are even better) that have been sacrificed because they kept making changes to the story, what are they going to do with them now?
They were initially included in the script, present in several scenes/events, but they have now been omitted even after finishing both character designs and scenography.
All this work has been wasted, and on top of that, the designs can't even be published (At least, I can't publish them).
I sadly have no words.

The realization of one of my dreams came with the beginning of a nightmare.

ZsrF2nW.gif

Oh, that's really sad news. Really is a waste to see good material from inspiring artists go into the trash can. Gentiana received an completely unnecessary change which must have hurt.

gentiana-600x338.jpg

Like "we continue Versus XIII as XV with a new vision... but in reality we just take the old assets and make them look worse...just cause." This is not the way Tabata. This is bad directing.

Everything since the March event has been a marketing mediocrity. The only high quality XV content has been Brotherhood.

This only reaffirms my feeling that the XV cycle really needs to come to a close fast. The game will probably score between 6-7/10 imho and then we will be done with it.

I hope with XVI, if it happens, we get to see Agnis' Philosophy because it looked like something that came from a vision for a Final Fantasy game.

rackham

Am I readin that correctly? He was responsible for cidney? The worst fucking design in a game full of shit designs. I don't want to start a ffxv hate train but these designs are the most uninspired I've seen in a while. Black on black. Spikes. Tits and ass focusing for females. Whole thing seems very meh.

Koozek

ZsrF2nW.gif

Oh, that's really sad news. Really is a waste to see good material from inspiring artists go into the trash can. Gentiana received an completely unnecessary change which must have hurt.

gentiana-600x338.jpg

Like "we continue Versus XIII as XV with a new vision... but in reality we just take the old assets and make them look worse...just cause." This is not the way Tabata. This is bad directing.

Everything since the March event has been a marketing mediocrity. The only high quality XV content has been Brotherhood.

This only reaffirms my feeling that the XV cycle really needs to come to a close fast. The game will probably score between 6-7/10 imho and then we will be done with it.

I hope with XVI, if it happens, we get to see Agnis' Philosophy because it looked like something that came from a vision for a Final Fantasy game.
image.php

Ydelnae

I fail to see what changed in Gentiana's design (not that we saw much of it originally), can someone point me what it is?

wmlk

Is this design no longer in the game? It's such a good render too.

It's still in the game.

Gentiana doesn't look different at all. We literally only saw half her face. If she was indeed so different from his initial design, Ferrari would have commented on it too.

I fail to see what changed in Gentiana's design (not that we saw much of it originally), can someone point me what it is?

Seriously.

You're not going to match the closeup E3 2013 renders. They're overly exposed high-quality CG of just their faces. Gladio looks like a dolt in game compared to the CG.

Arkeband

Banned
I don't know why this guy's work is so revered.

He gave the main villain a fuckin' fedora.

I have qualms with FF15 but not for what it did with the vaporware art assets. This adoration of the idea of FFVsXIII is honestly so played out.

SOLDIER

Which characters did Nomura design for this game? It seems the most flamboyant looking characters were all Ferrari(as well as the most scantily-clad).

Ydelnae

Fans like Japanese inspired design (Regis) > They make him more western inspired
Fans like Western inspired design (Gentiana) > They make her more Japanese inspired
Fans love a design (OG Stella) > They remove her
Fans don't like the design (Cindy) > They don't change her

Truly FF Versus.

Ferr986

I don't know why this guy's work is so revered.

He gave the main villain a fuckin' fedora.

I have qualms with FF15 but not for what it did with the vaporware art assets. This adoration of the idea of FFVsXIII is honestly so played out.

He gave Barret sunglasses at night in FF7R so I'm on the hate side too.

Considering FFXIII started out as a cel-shaded PS2 game in February 2004 with an FFX asset proof of concept, I'm inclined to agree.

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/11/04/final-fantasy-xiii-project-originally-called-colors-world/

This didn't just affect Ferrari or FFXV, but it looks like he got hit pretty bad in this game with his designs being cut. That said, he shouldn't have said anything about it.

That would have been an infinitely more interesting version of FF13.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Fans don't like the design (Cindy) > They don't change her

Was her design really much disliked outside of some posters here and some Duscae feedback from Europe? I doubt it. People who either really like or really dislike something tend to be vocal.

Reminds me of what happened with the designs Yusuke Kozaki (No More Heroes and the 3DS Fire Emblems) made for Lily Bergamo before it became Let it die.

conceptarts1_thumb.jpg

Will always hope seem comes back as a ranked assassin in a future No More Heroes game (also a dream).
*Siiiiiiiiiiigh"

DKHF

He gave Barret sunglasses at night in FF7R so I'm on the hate side too.
Not that it will change your hate but actually Nomura redesigned Barret for FFVIIR. He's doing the original party members and I think some other prevalent characters (like he said he was redrawing President Shinra around E3 2015) and Ferrari is doing the less important ones IIRC.

Falk

that puzzling face
I don't get it. Is he new to game development? This is how it works at every company for every game.

If anything it feels like it's the rest of the internet blowing it out of proportion, unsurprisingly since FFXV is under the microscope in every positive and negative way imaginable.

It reads to me as an observation he's making, and might have made for any other game. It's always a shame as a content creator when things don't see the light of day.

Ferr986

Not that it will change your hate but actually Nomura redesigned Barret for FFVIIR. He's doing the original party members and I think some other prevalent characters (like he said he was redrawing the president of Shinra around E3 2015) and Ferrari is doing the less important ones IIRC.

Of course it had to be Nomura...

Top Bottom