• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Robinson the Journey. A stunning PSVR game.

PBY

Banned
It's cheaper here in Canada on Amazon.. at least I think it will be so I grabbed it.

With the physical disc, I can also lend it to my friends as well. I'm hyped. I don't think you can measure VR experiences in just hours. See the Batman VR opinions.

Batman was 20 dollars tho

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Having played a fairly decent chunk of this game at various times. It's not that stunning.. Game play wise it's The Climb + walking slowly and doing light environmental puzzles. I really like the presentation and the story they're telling though. Can't have enough dinosaur games.

Gemeanie

urgh, I want to support the VR devs by buying games, but that is far too much money for me, will wait for it to drop.

EDIT seems it's less than 4hrs according to a post on reddit.

"Just completed the game took 3 hours 26 minutes to complete from start to finish. Not very long for $40. Overall I think I would give the game a 7/10 . Any questions now since my post last night?"
Ouch, another into the wait-for-sale list then
I don't live in US to benefit from Amazon price so it's $60

Edit: Also I hope this isn't the beginning of regional pricing. Harmonix already charging us for $25 while $15 for other regions

Ammogeddon

Robinson has been on my radar for a long time now but Eagle Flight VR may be purchased first. That's pro enhanced out of the box too.

Too many games to buy man.

PikkonX

When Sony gets around to talking PSVR numbers, I can't wait to see the attach rate. I bet the PSVR attach rate is outrageous. I can't think of anything recent that would be higher.

As far as Robinson, it looks great. Can't wait to pick it up, but the the lack of Move support is incredibly puzzling when the character is using what's essentially a move controller.

Shoeless

The other one with dinosaurs I'm curious about is Time Machine VR, by Minority Media. Originally that was supposed to be coming to all platforms, then I believe it changed for a while to being an Oculus exclusive, but now it's back to being multi-platform, and coming to the PS4.

Chris_C

Looks awesome as it is, with the Pro patch though...

2890236-3442490408-KkDqp.gif

Will be patched, read a dev interview in EDGE but sucks that is not day one. Reason according to dev: not every PSVR owner, owns Moves. Strange reason if you ask me. Should have supported both.

Is this actually confirmed, or just conjecture? I ask because I read that they don't believe enough folks have Moves, but I never actually read that support would be patched. The most concrete news I've read says they plan on looking into it, not that it's coming.

robotrock

Banned
Great. You'll know that some games can looks pretty sharp considering the hardware. Folks are saying it looks as good as Batman. I would not say that Batman is soft.

Batman is just about the definition of PSVR soft, next to Driveclub VR. Definitely feels like it's not rendering at native.

Rez, Thumper, Wayward Sky, and Job Simulator IMO look really sharp though.

Excited for this one. Length doesn't mean that much to me. If it's good, I don't care about the length at all.

The Amazon price is perfect too

Chris_C

Batman is just about the definition of PSVR soft, next to Driveclub VR. Definitely feels like it's not rendering at native.

Rez, Thumper, Wayward Sky, and Job Simulator IMO look really sharp though.

I don't know for sure, but I imagine Batman is in fact rendering at least native. Job Simulator is rendering at 1.4x res, 8x MSAA, which is why it looks so sharp. I don't have a source on hand, but I recall reading somewhere that Sony recommends rendering at least 1.4res for PS VR. I imagine Rez, Thumper and Wayward Sky do something similar.

I think batman is noticeably sharper than Driveclub, and considering the graphical fidelity, that's a decent tradeoff. Batman also benefits from having more of its action closer to the player, which means that objects can be made up of more pixels, giving them greater fidelity. In Driveclub, you're almost always looking into the distance, where smaller details have to be comprised of fewer pixels.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Driveclub is definitely softer than batman. But things up close in driveclub dont look that bad, its the distance viewing that looks blurry.

joebruin

Not for me, but (1) I don't have VR yet, and (2) everyone needs to make their own value judgments.

The pricing on VR stuff does seem really off to me in a lot of cases though.

have you tried VR yet? i think the value proposition really changes once you actually find that one game that sells you i guess. A lot of people have already found that in at least one psvr launch title.

Prices seem in line with what people are willing to pay for regular games if you want to just go by "hours/$". All relative though, for example some people getting mad at me for saying that someone shouldn't pay full price for titanfall 2 if all they want it for is the campaign heh

N30RYU

Is any info about this game being dubbed to other languages? French, german, italian, spanish?

I can't find any info.

ffvorax

Graphic is much worse than shown before, the game it's more or less 3-4h, no move support, really linear (for what I heard), full price...

I was looking forward for this, but not going to buy it at that price with all these "problems"... :(

Will wait for a discount (In Italy it's priced 60.98€ on Amazon, and usually Amazon is where you look for a good price)

nowhoney

£54.99 is way too much. I bet it's only like a 5 hour game, if you really take your time. I'll probably take a look in a year's time if everyone says it's good.

Oh.

74fD6tQ.png

I played this at EGX earlier this year, so happy to answer any questions.

It definitely looked like the image on the right when I played, though. It was still super immersive -- but when I tried it, the guy who did the demo didn't put the PSVR unit on me properly, I think, so it was kinda blurry.

Now I have a PSVR for myself, and know how to get it as clear as possible, I'm sure it'll look better.

Regarding Robinson, it's definitely on-rails to a degree. From what I played, there's one 'path' that you're walking on, but you can go back-and-forth on that one path, if that makes sense.

ffvorax

I played this at EGX earlier this year, so happy to answer any questions.

It definitely looked like the image on the right when I played, though. It was still super immersive -- but when I tried it, the guy who did the demo didn't put the PSVR unit on me properly, I think, so it was kinda blurry.

Now I have a PSVR for myself, and know how to get it as clear as possible, I'm sure it'll look better.

Regarding Robinson, it's definitely on-rails to a degree. From what I played, there's one 'path' that you're walking on, but you can go back-and-forth on that one path, if that makes sense.

Did it felt weird to be played on a dualshock instead of the game showing a futuristic move controller?

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I'm confused, isn't the player character holding a 1:1 move controller?

Yes he's holding a thing that looks like a move controller. No. This game does not support the move controller. It's a bit bizarre.

zoukka

Yes he's holding a thing that looks like a move controller. No. This game does not support the move controller. It's a bit bizarre.

That's not good, since the DS4 tracking is really poor and jittery. Could take you away from the experience (like the hands in the Kitchen demo).

Yeah, I'm still going to play it regardless but it would be great if they could truly add it. Even if it's not trackable (which doesn't look like a problem for this) I don't mind using the Nav at all.

nowhoney

Did it felt weird to be played on a dualshock instead of the game showing a futuristic move controller?

A little bit. It would definitely be better with a Move controller. I was under the assumption it would have Move support though, so hearing that it's not going to is quite disappointing.

Especially since in the section I played, I was climbing a tree -- grabbing on to handholds on the trunk. With the Dualshock, I was essentially moving my head to look at different handholds, then pressed the left or right trigger to grab it with my left or right hand, respectively. It'd be a lot more immersive if I had two Move controllers.

N30RYU

Makes no sense this game not having move support... cause why the fuck we'll have a floating hand?? If you don't have hand tracking there's no actual reason for not to have a body... unless they expect you to move the hand is akward ways blocking your view..

Top Bottom