Rock and Metal GAF |OT| We Raise our Fists in Solidarity

Welcome to the new rock and metal thread here on GAF. Feel free to talk about anything and everything that falls between these two wide-spanning genre's from sugar coated pop rock to hyper technical, brutal death metal. Been to a show, discovered some cool new band/album, tell us about it!

Some Useful Links:
Metal Archives - This one's pretty self-explanatory, need to know something about a metal band 9 times out of 10 you'll find it here.
Spirit of Rock / Spirit of Metal - For that 1 time Metal Archives doesn't have what you're looking for then you'll probably find it here.
Metal Injection 'Weekly Injection' - Pretty handy weekly post of new albums.
Bandcamp - Their lists and scene highlight's are a good way to find new music.
AngryMetalGuy - Although they don't always get it right, their reviews are always an informative read (or if the albums bad they give a good laugh).
Discogs - For those of us who still like to buy physical music.
RateYourMusic - Useful for keeping track of what you've been listening to, or to get recommendations.

Introduce Yourself (optional):
Some quick questions to let people get to know you or to kick-start the conversation.
  • Favourite Bands
  • Favourite Genres
  • Favourite Vocalists
  • Favourite Instrumentalists (Drummers/Guitarists/Bassists/Triangle/etc.)
  • Favourite Albums
  • Favourite Concerts
  • How did you get into rock/metal
  • Cool band(s) from your own country/state

Last edited:
I created this thread a little later than I originally intended but here it is.

I'll update the OP with some more resources/youtube channels/etc when I have the time, if anyone has anything else interesting to add let me know.
I'll also post up my introduction when I get the time.

The OT title comes from a song by Enter Shikari (giving you a small insight into my random music tastes) called 'Solidarity'. I actually got the lyrics wrong, so it should be "We sing this song in solidarity" but what I got sounds pretty decent too ;) They played a show here the night after the Manchester Arena bombing and played this song in tribute to the victims, those last couple of mins of the song gave me goosebumps when the band stopped playing and everyone in the venue kept repeating that part loud and proud.

I'll definitely drop by this thread from time to time and see what recommendations are out there. I've been on a 90s kick lately with my music habits, so GWAR is back on the menu.

Nice OT Angel. Here are some of my metal/rock favorites... (posting favorite songs from bands I like)

Gojira- The Cell

Elder- Spirit at Aphelion

Lamb of God- Reclamation
(met a LoG tec/roady at rehab, thus started my obsession with them)

NOFX- The Decline
One from my high school days one of my favorites of all time... 18 minutes and I still know all the lyrics! (kinda classified as Punk but god damn)

Jeff Beck- Nadia
More of a technician on the guitar a bit slower and more 'mature', more like rock less like metal. Either way its fu**ing amazing!

Black Sabbath- Supernaut
Cant have a metal thread without the OG!

Last edited:
SOAD just announced some West Coast shows! Just nabbed pit tickets for San Manuel, going to be my second time seeing them since the Hollywood Bowl all the back in 2013.

Next couple concerts coming up,
Slayer & Lamb Of God then Black Dahlia Murder.

SOAD just announced some West Coast shows! Just nabbed pit tickets for San Manuel, going to be my second time seeing them since the Hollywood Bowl all the back in 2013.

damn you... im stuck here in flyover country. I get so few big names I would like to see :(:mad:
Enjoy it! Pound some beers and head bang some for me!

damn you... im stuck here in flyover country. I get so few big names I would like to see :(:mad:
Enjoy it! Pound some beers and head bang some for me!
I'm Southern California so I get big names almost year round. It's a blessing but god does it hurt your bank account Lol.

Also Intro
  • Favourite Bands - Slipknot, Rammstein, SOAD, Linkin Park, A7X, LoG, Slayer, Trivium, RATM, Stone Sour, Atreyu, RHCP, Scars On Broadway, Misfits (Punk) basically just about everyone.
  • Favourite Genres - Metal, Rap, Rock, Pop, Indie I listen to it all. From the darkest of metal to the best pop songs.
  • Favourite Vocalists - Corey Taylor, Serj, John Frusciante
  • Favourite Instrumentalists (Drummers/Guitarists/Bassists/Triangle/etc.) Joey Jordison, Dave Lombardo, John Frusciante, Flea. Drummers lol.
  • Favourite Albums - Too many to say...
  • Favourite Concerts - System Of A Down Hollywood Bowl 2013, Slipknot .5 Knotfest's Shows back to back San Bernardino (was on the rail both nights) jeez too many after that.
  • How did you get into rock/metal - My brother, I remember seeing Slipknot Disasterpieces DVD and I was a youngster and my mind was blown ever since. I've seen Slipknot live 7 times now!

Gonna be BROOTAL.

This shit just sets me off, I've punched and kicked so many people to this song during one of the 14 terror concerts I've attended

These guys are my all time fav, particularly this song was what did it for me.

The first time I saw them Vince(Vocals) threw my the mic at the 1:58 mark at I got to start off the break down. One of the most memorable moments of my life.

All of that is pretty old, as far as new stuff I finally got around to picking up NAILS new(ish) album, kinda late to the party on this one.

And if everything goes well I'll be heading to local bangers Dead Crowns album release show here in Portland this Saturday!

Gonna be BROOTAL.

This shit just sets me off, I've punched and kicked so many people to this song during one of the 14 terror concerts I've attended

These guys are my all time fav, particularly this song was what did it for me.

The first time I saw them Vince(Vocals) threw my the mic at the 1:58 mark at I got to start off the break down. One of the most memorable moments of my life.

All of that is pretty old, as far as new stuff I finally got around to picking up NAILS new(ish) album, kinda late to the party on this one.

And if everything goes well I'll be heading to local bangers Dead Crowns album release show here in Portland this Saturday!
Damn that's some hard shit right there brother! I like. I had only heard As I Lay Dying, I like The Acacia Strain (reminds me of Lamb of God mixed with some early AFI).

Damn that's some hard shit right there brother! I like. I had only heard As I Lay Dying, I like The Acacia Strain (reminds me of Lamb of God mixed with some early AFI).
Oh yeah man, been a huge fan of them forever. I saw them at the roseland in Portland in like 2004-2006 cant exactly remember but the line up was - As I Lay Dying, Killswitch Engaged, and In Flames... one of the best shows of my life.

Check out these DooDs as well man!

Really listen to this whole song through. One of the best breakdown into guitar solos in the genre I've ever heard.

Also just a few for flavoring

The CD sampling of most of the songs due them true justice but eh, it is what it is.

Oh yeah man, been a huge fan of them forever. I saw them at the roseland in Portland in like 2004-2006 cant exactly remember but the line up was - As I Lay Dying, Killswitch Engaged, and In Flames... one of the best shows of my life.

Check out these DooDs as well man!

Really listen to this whole song through. One of the best breakdown into guitar solos in the genre I've ever heard.

The CD sampling of most of the songs due them true justice but eh, it is what it is.
lol he is hitting the skins so hard his sticks are bending :eek: seeing bands like this live is an experience for sure! No media can beat your ears bleeding from being 10 feet away from a wall of speakers in the depths of a mosh. :p

lol he is hitting the skins so hard his sticks are bending :eek: seeing bands like this live is an experience for sure! No media can beat your ears bleeding from being 10 feet away from a wall of speakers in the depths of a mosh. :p
Oh yeah, I used to drum and that is exactly what is going on lol.

And I know what you mean, I'll be going deaf early in my old age from all the heavy loud shows I've been to :cool:

You're in for a treat, those 3 bands are killer live.

Seeing a lot of metalcore posted here as well, anyone check out Bleeding Through's comeback single? Sticking to their tried and true mix of symphonic black metal meets crushing hardcore:

You're in for a treat, those 3 bands are killer live.

Seeing a lot of metalcore posted here as well, anyone check out Bleeding Through's comeback single? Sticking to their tried and true mix of symphonic black metal meets crushing hardcore:
Won't be my first time seeing all these guys. Love seeing Slayer & LoG live too brutal and fun. I've seen Dahlia a few times my girl got me into them. Going to see Bleeding Through's comeback show with my girl too!

I’ll be the obligatory old school metal head in the thread.

Favorite Bands: Slough Feg, Judas Priest, Thin Lizzy, Danzig/Samhain/The Misfits, Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, X-Japan

Favorite Genres: NWOBHM, Hard Rock, Punk, Post Punk, Goth Rock, Rock and Roll

Favorite Vocalist: Elvis Presley, Ronnie James Dio, Rob Halford, Paul Di’anno, David Vanian, Glenn Danzig, ICS Vortex, Robert Plant, Phil Lynott

Favorite Instrumentalist: Eric Bell, Yoshiki Hayashi, John Christ, Tony Iommi, Uli Jon Roth, Mike Scalzi, Phil Lynott, Steve Harris, Hellhammer

Favorite Albums: Slough Feg - Traveller, Judas Priest - Sad Wings of Destiny, Samhain - Initium, Iron Maiden - Killers, Danzig -1, 2, 3 and 4p

Favorite Concerts: Danzig, Slough Feg, Judas Priest, Sonata Arctica, AFI, Iced Earth, Slayer, Gwar, The Misfits (they sucked but my band opened so it’s significant to me)

How did you get into Rock/Metal: I’ve listened to rock and metal my entire life. Some of my earliest memories are of air guitaring and singing Black Sabbath songs with my mom.

Cool bands from your state: I haven’t kept up since I’ve been out of the music scene for years.

I’ll leave you with some songs.

A newer song from my favorite “modern” metal band, Slough Feg.

Judas Priest before they were hellbent for leather.

Nothing Iron Maiden has done with Bruce Dickinson comes close to this for me.

Thin Lizzy has songs other than The Boys are Back in Town.

I’ve been known to get down to some black metal from time to time.

Damn this is good! I saw them on their supposed "last tour", guess I should be looking for a comeback tour?

Nothing Iron Maiden has done with Bruce Dickinson comes close to this for me.
Damn that is a good song! I get down on the old school shreds as well my brotha!

Favourite Bands: Lacuna Coil, Katatonia, Arch Enemy, Nightwish, Paradise Lost, Nevermore, Sentenced, Within Temptation, Draconian

Favourite Genres: Melodic Death Metal, Doom Metal, Symphonic, Gothic, Alternative Rock/Metal, and bits and pieces from a load more

Favourite Vocalists: Floor Jansen, Cristina Scabbia, Candice Clot, Angela Gossow, Jonas Renske, Einar Solberg, Mikael Åkerfeldt, Peter Tägtgren

Favourite Instrumentalists (Drummers/Guitarists/Bassists/Triangle/etc.): Jeff Loomis, Anders Nyström, Linus Klausenitzer, Hannes Grossmann, Baard Kolstad

Favourite Albums: Lacuna Coil - Unleashed Memories, Katatonia - The Great Cold Distance, Arch Enemy - Wages of Sin, Nightwish - Once, Nevermore - This Godless Endeavor, Leprous - Coal, Draconian - Seasons Within, Madder Mortem — Desiderata, Epica - Design Your Universe, Eths - Tératologie

Favourite Concerts: Lacuna Coil's '1.19 Anniversary show', Nightwish at Wembley (which later was released on DVD), Katatonia's 25th anniversary show, Funeral for a Friends farewell shows :(, Alkaloid played here as one of the 6 total live shows

How did you get into rock/metal: Got into rock with that song everyone loves to hate 'Bring me to Life' by Evanescence and from there I just kept expanding outward into similar bands and increasingly heavier sounds.

Cool band(s) from your own country/state: Ireland has a wide range of genres represented but I'm gonna avoid some of the more obvious ones like Primordial, Thin Lizzy or *sigh* U2.

Randomly stumbled upon these guys while browsing on Youtube, anyone get into the whole blackgaze craze?
I don't know what blackgaze is but that video was pretty awesome to watch. Not a bad song either. I did that Soothsayer Umpire song, I might use it for a DnD game soon.

Here are a few more songs from my child(ish) hood. I listened to all types of metal.

I don't know what blackgaze is but that video was pretty awesome to watch. Not a bad song either. I did that Soothsayer Umpire song, I might use it for a DnD game soon.
Blackgaze is one of those modern made up sorta genres, mixture of black metal and shoegaze made somewhat popular by a band called Deafheaven. Personally I found Deafheaven to be pretty bland so I'm not sure how they managed to spearhead a genre but that isn't to say the whole genre is a bust, a couple of my favourites would be Alcest and An Autumn For Crippled Children.

Cybrwzrd

Anime waifu panty shots are basically the same thing as paintings of the french baroque masters, if you think about it.
I’m going to see Babymetal in Atlanta next month.

Did anyone else see Band Makd’s April Fools video?

I was also turned on to Sabaton recently, so good.