• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame 2018 Nominees

Nafai1123

Banned
If the Dire Straits only wrote Sultans of Swing and Money for Nothing in their entire career, they would still deserve to get into the HoF.

matthewuk

Depeche mode needs to win. If only to show the dolts in my country that they were not some little synth band that proberbly split up in the 80s.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
what is the criteria for rock and roll hall of fame? I mean radiohead is an obvious lock whether you like them or not.

I feel like dave grohl should already be in there if he's not already. Rage against the machine is great, but I feel like that was ''90s highschool in a car looking for a party" and don't remember much after that from them, but those tunes were FUCKING GREAT.

Queens of the stone age I feel like they should be getting close for having an uncompromising view of Rock and Roll and sticking too it.

Bon Jovi
Dire Straits
Judas Priest
Radiohead
Rage Against the Machine

It's hard to argue with anyone who was cool in 90s and still makes music people like. Theyve all earned it.

Out of all of them, The Moody Blues are the most deserving to be in there. Days of Future Passed is an all-time classic and even their 80's tracks are catchy.

I'd also be in favor of Rage and Priest getting in too.

DJChuy

How many of them get inducted? The top 5?

Bon Jovi, Judas Priest and Depeche Mode should have been in years ago. Rage Against The Machine also has my vote.

Joe

Fan voting is live.
-Select five from the group of nominees.
-Results at the end of voting count as one ballot towards the 800 total ballots used to determine inductees.
-Top fan vote selection has been inducted for the past five years.

Current fan vote standings:

screenshot_257.png

Bon Jovi has a massive online following. Good for them.

Depeche Mode will get in sooner or later, one of the most influential bands from the 80's.

Judas Priest shouldve been inducted like atleast a decade ago or more.

Radiohead will likely get in sooner or later.

Bon Jovi and Dire Straits are my locks of the bands that will be inducted this year.

Kate Bush should get in I think. Was listening to Hounds of Love album the other day - so good. I wouldn't grumble at Radiohead either. Dire Straits too. Not Bon Jovi please.....I have a friend who would like that but not me.

My favorites here are Moody Blues, Judas Priest and The Meters. It's pretty understandable why The Meters are dead last considering they are considered too much in the tradition of rock. I don't keep up with these but James Brown was inducted in 86 and P-F were inducted in 1997... maybe it's time for another funk giant to get in.

Bon Jovi can stay out as far as I'm concerned, semi-serious there. My Bloody Valentine and King Crimson are the ones I want in... but I'm not really saying anything new here.

Dishwalla

Banned
So many people vouching for Bon Jovi, aka the guy responsible for some of the wussiest rock of all time.
I sincerely hope you are joking.
The cars were fun but goddamn they sucked
Go listen to their self titled debut and Heartbeat City and come back to me. Amazing records.

FyreWulff

The Cars is obvious, their debut album practically doubles as their Greatest Hits album. There's not a single deep cut on that thing.

Exodust

Banned
Priest should have gone in ages ago.

Still no Deep Purple, shows that the hall of fame is still a sham. EDIT: Well I'm stupid. Glad this was rectified.

Have you met anyone who calls themself an LL Cool J fan? The most you'll get is a "sure, I guess" if you ask them yourself.

Yes, actually. He's a rap legend.

Meowster

Kate Bush should make it in for how consistently great her music has been all these years. She’s also been a great influence. It’s such a shame that her career in the United States didn’t really take off as much as it did in other parts of the world.

Dishwalla

Banned
Green Day's resurgence with American Idiot pretty much sealed them as a first ballot entrance into the Hall of Fame. If the Smashing Pumpkins had done that they would've gone in instantly too, but they didn't. They are forever trapped in the 90s.

Exodust

Banned
Yah, I knew LL Cool J from movies first so I never really gave a chance to his music. But when I did, I noticed that he is much better rapper than actor.

Same thing happened with Ice T and, to an extent, Ice Cube. A lot of people seem to forget why they got popular in the first place.

Budi

Same thing happened with Ice T and, to an extent, Ice Cube. A lot of people seem to forget why they got popular in the first place.
Hah my first album that featured Ice Cube and/or Ice T was the soundtrack for the movie Tresspass. Never saw the movie though.

Beeks

Queens of the stone age I feel like they should be getting close for having an uncompromising view of Rock and Roll and sticking too it.

Self-titled came out in 1998, so they have 6 more years before they're eligible. Kyuss is eligible now and fucking deserves it just for Welcome to Sky Valley, but they'll never put Kyuss in because Kyuss had zero commercial success. QOTSA may get in in the next decade or so. Josh Homme and Dave Grohl are the living personification of rock and roll at this point, so they both deserve individual nods.

Top Bottom